Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1062.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1062
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Hello, darling, no there’s no news at all.”

“You told the plod?”

“I have some very nice policemen and women here now. They think they know the name of the man we saw assault the old lady, but so far they haven’t located him or the children.”

“I have an important meeting tomorrow morning but I’ll be home as quickly as I can afterwards. I wish I could be with you now.”

“So do I, darling, see you tomorrow.”

He rang off and I suspect he’d kept the call brief in case the police were monitoring the calls but also in case the kidnapper was trying to call. He didn’t, at least not for a couple of hours by which time I was becoming slightly hysterical.

The phone rang and I snatched it up before the copper could count me in. “Hello?”

“Hello, Mummy can you come and get me.”

“Where are you?”

“By the back of Debenhams.”

The Chief Inspector pointed at two of his people and they ran off like scalded cats.

“Are you both okay?”

“It’s only me, Mummy, he still has Julie.”

“Okay, darling, go into the shop and wait by the counter until the police arrive, they’re coming to bring you home.”

“I was so frightened, Mummy,” and she began to cry.

“It’s okay, darling.” I heard a police radio crackle behind me. “There’s a policewoman looking for you, when you see her go to her, she’ll bring you home safely.”

“I can see her, Mummy, she looks a nice lady.” Then the phone went dead.

The police radio crackled, ‘Got her, guv, we’re on our way back to the house.’

We all breathed a sigh of relief. We were still concerned for Julie, but I felt she had a slightly better chance of survival than a nine year old–well until he tore her knickers off, then he might have a bit of a surprise.

The twenty minutes it took for Billie to come home was like a life sentence. I have never known time go so slowly–it was even worse than listening to Simon snoring while watching the clock tick by. Finally, a marked police vehicle with blue lights flashing burst into the drive and pulled up by my car. I opened the front door and Billie broke away from the policewoman to almost jump into my arms.

Billie was very distraught for several minutes, and we couldn’t ask her any questions until she’d calmed down. Apparently, they’d been watching Trish’s video on the news in a shop and she had said it was Trish’s video to Julie. Some man had overheard her and the next minute, they were standing by the roadside waiting to cross and a van drew up in front of them and they were pushed inside it by two big men. It sped off and they’d spent all afternoon in it.

That explained how they’d been identified, pure bad luck in having one of Donny Baker’s friends nearby when she commented on the film. He’d obviously followed them and arranged the kidnapping. I suppose it could almost have been Baker himself, for all we knew.

They’d been blindfolded and so didn’t see the men who grabbed them, other than they were rather big. But at nine, most adults probably do seem quite big. The van was dark coloured, which wasn’t much help. If they’d snatched Danny and released him, he’d have known which model and year it was–there aren’t many cars he doesn’t recognise. Billie is more of a girl unsurprisingly, and seems to have little interest in cars and things–though she does seem to like bikes, which makes me rather pleased.

She still had her bag with her and she handed me a note. It was a piece of plain paper with the note scribbled in pencil.

Lady Camron, Dident know you was a lady, an a rich bitch. Games changed. Im sending back the scrawny one, you have two hours to hand over  £250,000 if you want the pritty one back unharmed. Dont try to delay, or she wont be so pritty no more. Keep the cops of the fone.’

“How am I going to get my hands on that sort of money?” I cried, if he harmed Julie I’d have him tracked down and disposed of.

“I’ll give Daddy a ring.” Stella went off to speak on her mobile to Henry.

“There are ways to raise a ransom, but it usually takes a few days,” said the Chief Inspector.

“One advantage of having your in laws own a bank.”

“It’s a bit low, isn’t it, sir?” asked one of the younger officers.

“I think he’s looking to do a runner, false passport across to France or Spain and off he goes into the distance.”

“What does he look like, and is he as uneducated as his letter suggests?”

One of the underlings tapped away on a computer and up came a picture of our most wanted. The best word I can think of to describe him is, nondescript. According to the details he was about five feet eight, slim and a rather bland face with long blond hair. There was something about him that struck me and I tested my theory.

“Has he ever been known to wear women’s clothes?”

The one on the computer tapped away and shook his head. His boss shrugged and said, “If he has we don’t know about it, why?”

“I’ve got a feeling that’s how he plans on escaping.”

“What–in drag?” gasped the younger copper and chuckled, “he won’t keep his hard man image then, will he?”

“Not if they find out in the nick,” chuckled back the Chief Inspector. “Can’t see how you can guess that,” he added, “though he has been known to use disguise before on a job.”

“I have a feeling in my water,” I added and went off to wee. Afterwards, the feeling was just as strong. Stella returned and confirmed the bank was putting together a special consignment for us. It would be treated with a special dye, so ten minutes after exposure to air, the notes would become bright green and any handling after this would make the hands green as well. The dye is indelible and lasts for several days. A special courier was on his way to the house.

An hour later I received an email from a Google account. ’Bring the money yourself to the HS bank and put it in the rubbish bin outside. Once i seen you done it, I’ll let the prity one go–probably. If I so much as smell the filth, she won’t be prity no more. Be there by 6pm tonite.’

“You can’t do it, I’ll have one of my women officers go in mufti,” declared the Chief Inspector.

“I shall do it. But we can’t put a brief case in a rubbish bin. Call Henry, Stella, and tell him not to use the dye, we’ll have to use a plastic bag.”

“But if the guy gets away he can use the money.”

“He won’t get away.” I said through my teeth.

“Lady Cameron, you will deposit the money and walk away or I’ll get one of team to do it. I give the orders on this one.”

“Chief Inspector, I’m not one of your team–so stick your orders.”

“Carry on like this and I’ll have you arrested for jeopardising and obstructing a police operation.”

“If you do, you’ll be drawing unemployment tomorrow.”

“It’s an offence to bribe or threaten an officer.”

“I’m not making threats, I’m stating a fact.”

“Please do as I ask, I want your child returned safely.”

“You think I don’t, Inspector?”

“Of course not.”

“I want her safe and him in custody for a very long time.”

“So do I,” agreed the Chief Inspector, “we don’t have much time either.”

I glanced at my watch, it was nearly five o’clock.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Donny boy...

...doesn't know who he's messing with. I sense him receiving his comeuppance in the near future.

And Cathy is likely to spot him no matter what his disguise: one of the benefits of being an expert in gender matters.

Thanks A+B: really enjoying the present dramatic developments.

Portentive Situations

Bike Archive Bike Map

The Daily Dormouse-1062

hy do I get the feeling that Ladt Catherine Cameron will be taking her bow and arrows?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Naaah!

This girl's also a martial Arts expert.
Donny's gonna get a kickin'. Besides, a bow an' arrer' would be too conspicuous.
The money can still be dyed even if it's in a plastic bag.

Go for it cathy!!

Still lovin' it.

OXOXOX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

*Sigh*

Ho hum - seems as though the police (and criminals) around Portsmouth never learn.

You do not mess with Cathy Cameron.

Try it, and you will certainly regret it. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Julie has a trick or two up her proverbial sleeve to make the getaway harder than expected...

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

You don't tug on Superman's cape

you don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask of the old lone ranger
and you don't mess around with .... Cathy (ok, doesn't rhyme but this whole discussion makes me think of that old Jim Croce song)

Police, criminals, spies, terrorists, gangs, doctors, nurses, school teachers, brown cows, all need to get the idea straight - Cathy can be an angel when you are in need but don't cross her and don't even pretend to threaten her kids.

Well looks as If

Dinny will have an interesting pick up

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I have a feeling

... Donny's ( or will it be 'Donna's' ;) ) gonna experience something very painful, if he winds up in the nick crossdressed? Luckily I can hang on to this cliff -again- for another day. :).

Ya, know, am I imagining things or is Simon seldom around when crap like this happens to Cathy?

Kim

simon

more often than not he's off with the bad guys, so to speak.

Ooooh, Donny, your gonna get

Ooooh, Donny, your gonna get it! The Inspector is also going to get it, if he keeps up with his attitude to Cathy. Can't they learn down there at their station to not cross her or attempt to order her around when it comes to her children or other family members? Jan

the reason for that...

would be apparent if they'd bother to ask how their predecessor got the boot.

The bad part

of discipline in the police ranks, is that unless it is very public, the officers know something is wrong, but inquiries and findings and punishment are kept private, or even secret. Transfers or rank reductions would be quick, and quiet, again, unless it was over something that made the news big time, or the news is leaked to the press etc. And the coppers in a small town may know some of what went on, but the facts are probably quiet to keep "face"

Cathy and the police

In this case the officer is doing his job. It is hard, but Cathy needs to calm down.

As many cops as she keeps interacting with you would think they would start seeing the same officers.

Ponderous Plods

The Chief Inspector doesn’t inspire confidence. He apparently hasn’t done his homework on who Cathy is and more importantly seems more interested in babysitting Cathy than actually trying solve the case. Or is this just a case of sending a senior officer to babysit the family in order to show the Cameron’s that the police are taking this case seriously?

I see no indication that he has tried to identify the kidnappers and their vehicle or the direction the van went after the kidnapping by assigning people to review the CCTV recordings for the areas where the kidnapping and releases occurred and any private recordings from the area businesses.

Michelle B

I think this tough nut is about to be cracked, literally.

It seems the Inspector knows not whom he just threatened. I wonder if he would like a walking beat near the harbor ?
All the local police seem to know Catherine, but, they all sound the same. Is stupidity a requirement for the job ?
This is like hurting a momma bear's cubs, look out !

Cefin