Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1124.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1124
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next morning, I felt like–well let’s say I knew what a bit of wet rag feels like. I struggled to rouse the girls and of course trouble woke up too, and I hadn’t expressed any milk. Plan B, Jenny gets them up while I feed the baby, if necessary, she can take them to school as well.

I couldn’t do very much to help with a baby clamped to my tit, but I did call up to Danny, to make sure he was up. Sitting in the bedroom, I suddenly realised Simon wasn’t here. The dozy git had got himself up and out without waking me. No wonder I love him.

Danny looked in as he came downstairs, he saw me feeding guzzles, and apologised. I called him back and he didn’t look too happy. “Can you spare a minute?” I asked him.

“Um–yeah, okay.”

“Shut the door.” He did as I requested.

“I’m really sorry I missed your match last evening.”

“Yeah okay, is that it?”

“Not quite,” I said and he sighed. “Look we seem to have developed a problem with our relationship. I didn’t see it coming and I want to sort it as soon as we can. How d’you feel?”

He shrugged, “A bit left out most of the time.”

“You need to muscle in. Don’t let the girls have it all their own way.”

“Yeah, but then you tell me off.”

I blushed, “Okay, I’ll try not to in future. I do love you, you know.”

“Yeah okay, I’ve gotta go.” He dashed out of my room and shut the door behind him. I felt a bit sad, I wasn’t sure I’d achieved what I wanted, which was a repair job–to build bridges between us. He tolerated my request rather than acceded to it. I wasn’t sure what to do next.

“Cathy,” called Stella, “I’ll take the girls, I need to go into town.”

“Okay, are you taking, Pud?”

“Yeah, nothing for you to do–see ya later.” I heard the car start up and drive off. I changed my baby, and took her downstairs where Jenny was washing up–well loading the dishwasher.

“Oops–sorry, Cathy, nearly forgot you.”

“Danny trying to do that is bad enough.”

“Oh, he’s still touchy is he?”

“Very, and I don’t know what to do next.”

“I think you’re doing really well as it is...”

We were interrupted by Julie dashing off to her scooter thing. She stopped, pecked me on the cheek and shouted, “Byeeeeeee,” as she went. Her scooter went putt-putt down the drive.

I made myself a cuppa and some toast which I ate with a banana. I wasn’t really hungry but I knew I’d be growling–or my tummy would–long before lunch.

“Anything you want me to do?” asked Jenny.

“I was going to strip my bed, I got some milk on the sheets.”

“I’ll do that, you look shattered.”

“I am–she woke up in the night and took ages to feed.”

“Oh, poor you.” I was in mid munch, so she’d run up the stairs before I could reply. I washed down the toast with my tea and I don’t remember nodding off, but I did, because Jenny woke me bringing the washing down. “Catching forty winks?” she smiled at me.

I yawned and nodded. I had a million things to do and was just engaging body and brain into the same manoeuvre when the door bell rang. Thinking it was Stella forgetting her key again–she regularly does it–I opened the door. It was the postman.

I signed for the package for Tom, and took the half a dozen letters which accompanied it, all wrapped up in a red rubber band–you see discarded ones all over the UK, showing that we still have some sort of postal service, until it’s privatised.

In amongst my three letters was a DVD from Alan and note:

‘Dear Cathy,
I found a few more funnies including the one of you running round squealing with the large moth caught in your hair, the one of me stepping on the adder and it trying to bite through my boot, and you falling off the log across the stream–that’s a classic.

I await your schedule for harvest meeces.

Love,

Alan.’

I shoved the disc in my computer and cringed through the fifteen minutes of its showing. I’ll see what the kids think of it later, they’ll probably love it. I didn’t realise I was so girly when that moth got stuck in my hair–all I could hear was a whirring noise and felt this horrible sensation in my hair–ugh, it still makes me cringe. The one where I swallowed the insect was quite funny in retrospect. There I was doing my presenter bit, talking to camera and this stupid fly or whatever it was flew straight into my mouth and practically got inhaled. I stopped and coughed and coughed and coughed. Alan had to give me a drink of water–yuck, fresh killed insect.

I made Jenny and me some scrambled eggs for lunch–officially she was off duty, but we were chatting so she stayed for lunch. She went off to see her boyfriend in the afternoon–he’s in the Royal Navy, I think. She doesn’t say and I don’t ask, when she’s ready she’ll tell me.

Stella called to say she was going to be coming back about the time the girls came out of school, would I like her get them. I grabbed it with both hands. I cleared up the lunch and felt a bit better, then dashed into town and got Danny a little present. I know it could be seen as buying his affection, but it isn’t, it’s something he will use. I got back just before he did and left it on his bed, so he wouldn’t see it until later.

He came in and I asked him how school had been, he shrugged and grunted. “I need some new footie boots, Mum, can I have some?”

“If a please finds its way into your request, I’d think it was highly possible.”

“Yeah okay, pretty please with knobs on, may I have a new pair of football boots?” I glanced at the kitchen clock–“It’s only just four, c’mon, we’ll dash into town–or there’s that sports place out on the industrial estate, we’ll go there it’s quicker.”

I grabbed my bag and car keys, scribbled a note for Stella and dragged him off to the sports emporium. If I’d known his soccer boots would cost me nearly a hundred quid, I wouldn’t have bothered with the other prezzie. But there you go, that is life.

We got home and he had a grin from ear to ear, he’d got the Addidas boots he wanted–like David Beckham’s or some such thing. When he went upstairs, he shouted for joy and the girls went rushing to see what had happened–he came down in his favourite club football jersey–his other present.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Was A good Day

littlerocksilver's picture

I think Cathy picked up a bunch of points with Danny - obviously. I know she's knackered, but she should be feeling a lot better until the boot drops.

Portia

Portia

I still reckon...

...that Cathy could do with a PA. Now, she needs to find out just when Danny's next football match is, and ensure that she attends.

The PTA thing looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Thanks A+B, really enjoying my daily fix.

Personal Support


Bike Resources

I would have thought ...

... that Cathy would be used to eating insects - it's a cycling hazard. Insects are the only meat I eat and I don't even get the chance to taste them as they flutter down my throat :)

Good move with Danny. Clearly, Cathy reads the comments here.

Robi

With ten, a nanny and a dog in the house

Cathy definitely needs a secretary. There's only one of me and I have trouble keeping track sometimes.

Susie

Bike pt 1124.

I think that if Maureen ever moves onto the estate, she and Jenny can both help Cathy by taking over a lot oh her chores so Cathy can be the Supermum she so clearly needs to be.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Time is more precious.

Hi Angie.

Time for a child is infinitely more precious than prezzies but they don't ever realise it. The interest on investmnent for the parent is slow to return and immeasurable but it's sure. Lucky are those who are parties to such contracts.

Cathy's going to have to re-allocate her effort not her time, that's already spoken for, towards giving Danny a bit of her care for a while. Dunno' how she's going to do it but; -.

Still enjoying this,
Love and hugs,
OXOXOX.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

While presents are nice, I hope Cathy

isn't falling for the idea of throwing money at a kid instead of giving him quality attention. Danny needs both but seems to be starving for attention.

In The Right Context, The Love Comes Through

Cathy didn't just hand Danny the money and tell him to get some boots. They had a shopping trip together. That qualifies as quality parent-child time. And the gift (the jersey) wasn't just a random expensive gift, it was a thoughtful one, something she knew he would like, and something he was afraid she'd not understand, being all involved with the girls and all. The fact that Cathy went over into boy-land, and specifically into Danny-land, to get him a present he would like, counts for a bit more than just throwing dosh at him. It speaks of connectedness.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Quality Time

Buying something a child needs is quality time. Especially
when it is something he can wear everyday as a reminder that
he is not forgotten but has to wait in line with sisters who
will become important to him as he grows older.

Is this

really Stella? or do we have an imposter, What is going on, Stella actually helping Cathy....Wonders will never cease!!!

Good to see Cathy making an extra effort with Danny, There's little doubt that he must feel a little overwhelmed with all the girl talk around him, Thankfully Cathy spotted (if somewhat belated) this, And did what was clearly in Danny's eyes the right thing, Yes the football boots were expensive, But the result of buying them proves they were worth every penny....

Kirri

Nice way to make up, to Danny

Nice way to make up, to Danny. The kid really must feel like an extra left thumb.

Cefin