Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1181.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1181
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon insisted we continue home despite my pleading to return to the hospital. I dashed in, spoke quickly to the other children, ran up to the shower, dried and dressed in clean togs and grabbing some biscuits, took the keys to the Mondeo before Simon noticed what I was doing. I knew he’d be cross–he’d run out to take-away to save me cooking. He was still dishing up when I escaped.

Once I’d parked I ate a couple of the digestive biscuits I’d brought with me, and then walked to the hospital to check on Julie. I had to plead with the ward sister to allow me to go and see her, as official visiting was over. The gigantic bodyguard was standing impassively at her door, but recognised me and let me enter. Julie was sleeping–at least I hoped that what’s she was doing.

I rubbed her hand and held my breath–thankfully her eyes opened and she looked at me and smiled. “Hi,” she said and smiled again.

“Hi, yourself,” I replied, “How d’you feel?”

“I’m okay, a bit sleepy but otherwise okay. Why are you back here–I thought I wouldn’t see you until tomorrow?”

“I got a bit anxious. If Alfie is still in the hospital, they might try something on him.”

“He’s in Southampton, someone fractured his skull apparently. He’s huge so they must have been even bigger.”

“Probably,” I blushed, thinking, maybe I do need to lose some weight?

“It wasn’t the bloke on the door, was it–he’s like enormous.”

“Could have been, he is pretty big–but then, it’s not size that’s important...”

“I know, it’s what you do with it,” she interrupted.

“Actually, not quite–it’s more a question of technique plus use of available weaponry.”

“Oh yeah, you carry around a spare club do you?” she seemed rather sceptical.

“No, but that drip stand for instance, would make a formidable weapon.”

“Sure and he waits while you empty it.”

“It was empty already.” I blushed.

“Crikey, Mummy, it was you who hit him?”

I nodded–“He had a gun. I had no choice. He was intending to kill us–I had to do something.”

“Wow, why are we paying the guy on the door? You’re far more dangerous than any of them.”

“Very funny.” I went to ruffle her hair and my phone bleeped. It was Simon texting me.

‘Wot RU playin’ at? Nusflsh-patient’s been killed in S’oton hosp. Was it U no hu? Si x’

“Oh dear,” I said aloud.

“What’s the matter, Mummy?”

“According to Simon someone has been killed in Southampton Hospital.”

“Did he say who?”

“No, he’s guessing, but you said he’d been moved.”

“Yeah, he had a head injury–that’s where they do brain surgery an’ stuff.”

“Yes, I know that. I wonder what happened, was it an accident or was he murdered?” I felt my worries were now becoming validated by this most recent event, although that was speculating on unknowns–I didn’t know for sure it was Bird. It could be anyone.

“So what happens when you go home?”

“Who said I’m going anywhere?” I riposted whilst squeezing her hand.

“Hmmmm, I feel really safe when you or Daddy are about,” she said snuggling down into the bed–“I feel soooo tired,” she yawned and closed her eyes.

I sat, feeling a lovely warm sensation, thinking that I was allowing her to feel safe. Suddenly, I felt a sudden jolt of energy flow through me into her hand, which went limp. Shocked, I stood up and couldn’t see her breathing. I screamed for help and pulling her flat, began chest compressions–all the while the energy was flooding through my hands and into her.

The bodyguard on the door had vanished by the time a team of doctors and nurses arrived–the crash team. They made me wait outside while they tried to start her heart. I was sure she’d been given something, probably by the person who was supposed to be protecting her.

More staff arrived, including Ken Nicholls, “What are you doing here?” he asked me.

“I was worried about her, she seemed to go off to sleep and then stopped breathing.”

“D’you think she was poisoned?” he asked.

“I’m not sure, but I think she could have been.”

“Get those drips out and preserve them, I want them checked by pathology in case of foreign agents.” He came back out to me, “Good job you came back.”

“Simon has just texted to say someone was killed at Southampton hospital.”

“Oh, not our not-so little friend was it? We sent him to the neuro unit.”

“I don’t know. How’s she doing?”

“We’ve got a very good crash team here, if anyone can save her, they will.”

“Thanks, I’ll just sit and see if I can help her recover.”

“Okay, I’ll get them to find you a cuppa as soon as I can.”

I nodded and sat down in the corridor, trying to connect with Julie. It wasn’t working. I sensed her wandering in unknown places, she was lost and distressed. She seemed oblivious to my light or my voice–in the distance I could hear the medics talking, the lead doctor was calling for so many mils of some drug or another. I heard the defibrillator charging–it whines, then the medic called–shocking, stand clear. I heard the phutt as it did so and the machine recharging. Tears were rolling down my face–was this how it was to end for her, murdered at age sixteen?

I’d lost count of how many times I’d pulled her through from the brink, and now some bastard kills her, betrays his trust and administers a lethal dose of something. I wanted him dead. I didn’t care who did it–if she dies, so does he. I felt the energy shut down in me, obviously influenced by my negative thoughts.

I sent Simon a text telling him the bodyguard probably has killed our foster daughter. He sent one back–I’m on my way.

I shut out the physical world and went deep inside myself–it felt dark, not helped by my recent anger and desire for retribution. I tried to distance myself from those thoughts, and think about Julie, positively about her. I tried to recall her laugh and her smile, things she did which showed her love for us and ours for her. I felt the atmosphere lightening. I kept sending her positive energy, telling her I loved her and for her not to give up on me, but to come back to me to follow my light and my voice.

I kept doing this over and over–sending her love, telling her we all loved her and not to leave us but to come back to us. I poured energy into my mind’s eye image of her wandering, but a light seeking her and finding her, then winding itself around her and drawing her back to me and to her body.

I visualised the light circulating round her chest and her heart starting–I could see it pumping, pushing the light round her body through her blood–it spreading, healing and oxygenating her body. I could see her sweat and hear her breathe again.

The leading medic came out of the room, “Mrs Cameron, I’m so sorry.”

“No,” I screamed, “You must keep trying–I won’t let her die.”

“Calm down, there’s nothing anyone can do–sorry.”

“You’re wrong, I rushed past him and as they were pulling down the drips and unplugging the machines, I ran up to her and slapped her face and thumped her chest with my other hand. “Come back, I told you, dammit, come back, we need you.” My tears fell on her face and something wonderful happened, she coughed and began breathing again.

“What the fuck?” exclaimed the young doctor, “Dr Hendry, get back here, quick,” he shouted and the departing medical team stopped and turned round.

I was asked to leave again while they examined her.

“What happened?” asked Dr Hendry.

“Search me, she slapped her, gave her a precordial thump and the patient coughed.”

“But that’s impossible.”

“Nothing’s impossible,” I said loudly outside, “you just have to believe it.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bike pt 1181.

Mystery deepens. So does Cathy's legend.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Precordial thump

Puddintane's picture

One assumes that the blue light thingy is handling the timing of the thump, since the technique has to be very carefully timed, and is of limited use (if any) after other resuscitation attempts have failed and the heart is already stressed by acidosis and hypoxia. Given the usual sequence of hospital attempts, it's also likely that some amount of brain damage has occurred by the time resuscitation attempts are abandoned.

In real life, the precordial thump should be initiated *immediately* after a witnessed cardiac arrest, must be exactly positioned and timed, and has the potential of sending the heart into atrial fibrillation, so lack of pulse should be verified first, and a conventional resuscitation team and apparatus must be available to handle this eventuality. It only succeeds in real life around a quarter of the time, so it's very handy indeed that it was accompanied by miraculous healing.

It's not a technique for amateurs, or those without blue light healing powers. They show people doing it all the time on television programmes, but then they show a lot of things on the telly, like the hero jumping out of an aeroplane and landing on another without harm, whereupon he climbs into the cockpit and pummels the villain into insensibility.

Conventional chest compression and artificial respiration is much less dangerous, and can help to save lives with greater reliability, but even that requires training, lest serious damage to the ribs -- with the potential of perforating a lung -- be done by over-enthusiastic compressions.

A rare, and tragic, outcome of participation in contact sport is the possibility of commotio cordis, a type of ventricular fibrillation, caused by remarkably undramatic and light blows to the chest.

Precordial Thump on Wikipedia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6476543

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Maybe someone should check out

what's in Cathy's tears. Actually, I'm thinking that the crash team was interfering with the magic. All that electronics and drugs were keeping Julie away. Then again, maybe it was a mother's tears. I'm not normally a tissue user when reading but that though might make me one.

Suggest that Cathy ignore the doctors asking her to leave.

Well i was

wrong about the blood being everywhere.....Funny thing is i had a sneaky feeling the big oaf on the door might be involved , So it's a good job Cathy had the bad feelings and went back, And thankfully it looks like it was just in time....

Edge of the seat stuff Angharad , Can't wait to see what happens when Cathy finds out who is behind all of this.

Kirri

Oh really?

>>> “Nothing’s impossible,” I said loudly outside, “you just have to believe it.”

... says the non-believer. How long before this statement comes back to haunt Cathy?

Newsflash

Ignore Cathy's "awful feelings" at your peril.

Thanks A+B: we're not much closer to discovering who and why. You do love to keep us hanging.

If the bodyguard is part of the conspiracy against Julie, then why did he let Cathy into the room?

Also, where are the police, and is Cathy still under arrest?

Painful Signs


Bike Resources

More questions than answers

Who killed the Bird - if it was the Bird?
Where did Simon find the bodyguard?
Was the bodyguard innocent and done away with, or bribed/in cahoots with the villains?
Was Julie's intended demise caused by a 'doctored' drip?

And we're still no closer to knowing why.

Tenterhooks, Angharad, tenterhooks.

S.

I think she's just…

…enjoying keeping us all dangling on the end of a piece of string—just for the hell of it!

Evil girl. How could you, Ang?

Love,

Hilary (and ’er upstairs asleep, I hope)

Apologies?

Angharad's picture

I hope this reads fluently, I scribbled it last night after the previous one. Today, I've been busy. I collected Hazel's (my aunt) ashes and took them to Cardiff for interment in my Grandparent's grave. It took three hours to get there with heavy traffic everywhere, and the actual interment took five minutes max.

Cardiff has changed so much since I lived there, I felt a stranger in my home town which reinforced my dissociative feelings after the interment. I had honoured her request but it left me feeling totally numb. I killed a couple of hours reading the Guardian and doing the crossword before meeting up with my ex and going shopping until we were joined by our daughter when we went for dinner. That restored me enough for me to drive home in the dark.

Hopefully, tomorrow I shall feel less stressed and work a bit more on the plot with Bonzi's help of course - he's been playing football with Izzy - using her as the ball!

Angharad

Angharad

Blimey!

A tampered with drip? That suggests that one of the medics was involved...

And what happened at Southampton? Has there been enough time for an ambulance to get there from Portsmouth?
Who was killed, how, and by whom?
How many lives has Julie used up now? I half-joked on an earlier episode that she was like the proverbial cat - she's used up about half of them in the course of a couple of days!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

mercs

Simon needs to hire mercenairies preferably ex-sis troopers to protect them and buy trish a quaad core computer with huge memory to track the crooks down so they solve the issue cathy style.
Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

A Precordial Thump—

—sounds rather like fisticuffs before the evening drinkiepoos. :)
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Ouch!

Gosh. All that tension and we're still no nearer a solution.
Come on Angie please don't keep us in suspense much longer.

Stil lovin' it.
Love and hugs.
Beverly.
Hmm lot of comments tonight.

Must be a good ephisode cos the proof of the puddin is in the eatin'

bev_1.jpg

Ummmm....

Bit of a sticky cricket or some such... (I've been known to mangle a phrase or three... That cricket's probably not happy to be so sticky...)

Wonder who/why someone died at Southampton... And, what/who did something to Julie... I doubt it was the brick out house, to be honest. He'd not likely have let Cathy in... If it was in the drip - probably someone with hospital ID/clothing went in to take her blood for a test - and while taking put something in as well... Interesting complications this time.

Thanks,
Anne

I Don't Understand

... how anyone can believe in miracles and not believe in God? But then I'm prejudiced: I'm a practicing* Christian.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

* We're called practicing because we still don't have it right. With God, it's not what you succeed in doing; it's what you TRY to do that counts!

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

It All Depends...

How do you define a miracle? If it is an apparent event that defies the known natural laws of physics or chemistry or whatever, and that is a nice one, then it is easy enough - we do not yet know ALL the laws of the aforementioned sciences, so this probably just fits into a niche we have not yet gotten to find out about! Coincidences occur quite often - if they did not, why would we have a word for them?

I'm an atheist and I accept that nice things that are dfficult to explain do happen sometimes. In my life I have had so many near misses that ought to have resulted in my death that most people find it incredible, uncomfortable, or suppose I am "Being Spared for Some Good Reason" ( or possibly a Bad Reason ?) I have even thought about writing a book about them all, but doubt people would believe them !

Briar

Briar

I've been noticing

of recent chapters, every time Cathy looses temper, the blue light seems to shut down or lower its abilty to do anthing. Is anyone else noticing this too.??