It's Complicated - Part 1 "Unsocial Media"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
One

 

"Unsocial Media"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tammyverse (formerly Tamara's Tales / Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tammyverse Series. This story has been revised since the original publication in 2016 and the revised edition has been released on Kindle as 'Unsocial Media'. An E-book edition is available and Amazon have finally agreed to release the paperback!
 
 
Now available on Kindle as 'Unsocial Media'
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GYHL6FL
Unsocial-Kindle-cover2.jpg
Also available (soon!) in paperback!
Paperback-cover-v2.jpg

 
Friday 18th December 2015
 

"Are you going anywhere nice, Tammy?"

"No, I'm staying in town, Luke."

"I'll have a few free days, did you want to meet up?"

"Sorry, I've got things to do."

"Oh, family?"

"Yes, my sister is in town so we'll probably spend Christmas together. Hogmanay is the big one for me."

"Oh, of course, when are you back?"

"Fifth of Jan."

"Not the Fourth?"

"No, it's a Scottish Bank Holiday and I'm on secondment from a Scottish posting."

"Okay, see you then!"

Tammy slid out of the building and joined the merry throng of people on the street. She'd been at the National Crime Agency for five weeks but still wasn't certain what she was achieving. The first few weeks had been classed as orientation, held at the South Bank offices close to MI6 and Lambeth Palace, but since the start of December she'd been in Westminster, just behind the Houses of Parliament.

Friday afternoon in Central London was just a mass of people heading into, or from, the tube stations. Unfortunately it wasn't a single mass so collisions were unavoidable. The first few times she'd assumed it was an attempt on her wellbeing, or a pickpocket? Her bag was kept close, very close, and only her Oyster card could be found in her jacket pocket. After a few days she'd grown to accept the hustle and bustle of London's pavements, but that didn't mean she could drop her guard.

The Circle Line tube to Bank Station was uneventful, as was the Docklands Light Railway back to her apartment near Mudchute Station. All told, apart from the obvious Christmas Spirit, it was a pretty ordinary Friday. By six thirty she had her feet up whilst dinner cooked itself, a glass of wine was close to hand.

She was startled by a phone ringing, glancing at the clock it was now gone seven thirty.

"Err, hello?"

"Did I wake you?"

"Yeah, Dad, hold on a minute."

She opened the wall safe to remove the key. Her Glock was still in there, and had been all week. She'd carried it for a few days but had found herself late into the office as she had to leave it at reception, then was often held up when trying to retrieve it a few hours later. By the Friday of the first week her weapon remained in the wall safe.

"Okay, Dad, we're secure."

"Good, how was your week?"

"Busy, not that I really know what I'm working on."

"I guess there's no point asking?"

"Correct."

"Right, Pru's booked all the tickets, are you packed?"

"No! I've put my feet up and poured a glass of wine so far this evening, dinner's in the slow cooker."

"What is it?"

"Ruby Murray, a korma."

"Right, enjoy, but please be ready."

"Ready? I have all day tomorrow!"

"No, there's been a change of plan. Didn't I mention it?"

"Nope."

"Damn, sorry, I meant to call a few night back. You know that my London PA has quit?"

"Yes, I sent her flowers, remember?"

"Of course, Tammy, anyway the new girl is Francesca, Francesca Fullerton."

"Can she be trusted?"

"Silly question! Suzie works with her sister and her father was one of my banking associates."

"That's not a bad pedigree. When do I meet her?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yes, she's driving you to London City after picking up Suzie."

"Flight?"

"Twelve fifteen to Amsterdam it's Cityjet WX181. Pru should have emailed you the ticket but you need to check in asap."

"Okay, what about you?"

"We're off to Glasgow shortly, we'll meet you in Amsterdam tomorrow lunchtime."

"Okay, hopefully this'll work better than last year?"

"See you tomorrow, Tammy, mum sends her love."

Tammy put the key back in the safe but withdrew her passport and European medical card. She sat back down and took another sip of her wine before fetching the curry on a tray.

A year earlier, terrorists had disrupted the air traffic control systems for the whole UK and much of Western Europe. Those responsible had, a few weeks earlier, been sentenced to thirty years apiece in Bellmarsh high security prison, following a dramatic trial. There had been two, no three, attempts on Tammy's life during the trial and she was, as far as she knew, still at risk.

The Security Service folk had disagreed, withdrawing her close protection officer as soon as the trials were complete. Their argument had been that the risk had diminished, not that Tammy agreed. She had, at least, convinced her manager to install cameras outside the apartment front door, in the lift and by the building's external door. Tammy had access to all these images and would check her exit was clear before leaving each morning. It wasn't ideal, not at all, but was the best that could be done.

She cleared up and saved the spare curry for freezing. She showered quickly, using a shower cap, climbing into bed by nine.

 
Saturday 19th December 2015
 
She woke at seven, her mobile was ringing. "Hello?"

"Good morning Miss Smart, this is Francesca."

"Oh, good morning, I think."

"Just to let you know, I'll be with you at eight thirty."

Tammy glanced at the clock, "bugger, okay, eight thirty."

Another shower, this time Tammy washed her hair. She dressed comfortably; leggings, a long skirt and a sweater would suffice. Next she fired up her laptop to print off the tickets, as well as checking in for today's flights. The aircraft scheduled for the first flight was an Avro RJ85, specifically suited for short runways such as London City. Unfortunately it was all one class.

Finally she packed, just doing up the final zip when the door intercom chimed.

"Francesca's parked outside, Tammy."

"Can you come up, Suzie?"

Tammy gathered her belongings and swallowed the last of her coffee. She'd managed one mug but hadn't any time for breakfast.

"Blimey Tammy, how much do you need?"

"I don't know, so I'm not taking any chances."

"You'll be over the weight limit, it's lower on these short hauls, remember?"

"I know, but I normally only have a cabin bag."

Suzie removed several frocks, leaving just three. She noticed the box of pantyliners.

"Did your surgery cover more than you've admitted?"

"No, Suzie, but I have to wear a liner all the time." She quickly explained.

"Oh, have you asked, seen a doctor?"

"Yes, he thought I was all natural and told me not to complain as it would help with childbirth!"

"Didn't you correct him?"

"It wasn't important at the time, anyway it's a minor inconvenience."

Tammy slipped on a pair of flats, opened her main case back up and put heels and boots inside. She pulled on a jacket then looked around the apartment. As an afterthought she put her laptop away in the secure box but retrieved her camera and a long lens.

Suzie shrugged as the case was opened again, for the last time. Finally, they were ready to leave.

"Hold on." Tammy reached in her shoulder bag and retrieved her Security Service pass, holding it against the card reader by the door until it beeped. Once outside she double locked the door and they headed for the lift.

They were only a few minutes late leaving but there was no time for long-winded introductions, their driver pulled away sharply before Tammy had even secured her belt. She wondered if her father had checked Francesca's driving skills before employing her?

Fifteen minutes later, after a few red traffic lights, they pulled up outside the terminal building. Tammy had flown from here midweek a few times but it was refreshing to see how quiet it was on a Saturday. Their luggage was on the pavement just a second before their transport pulled away. The two girls extended the handles on their cases and went in search of the baggage check-in.

There was no queue at security so the pair were in the departure lounge with plenty of time to spare. "What do you want to do, Tammy?"

"Breakfast."

Tammy was used to a late-ish breakfast, she'd opted to be at the National Crime Agency by seven fifteen each day but went out for brekkie around nine. There seemed to be some flexibility, so long as she put the requisite number of hours in.

"What do you fancy, Tammy?"

"The works, I don't imagine lunch will happen, what about you?"

"I had toast and cereal before I left home."

Tammy picked up a copy of the i newspaper before looking around for a suitable eatery. One of the problems was that London City was not a major hub so the choice was limited to one outlet, and almost a £20 price tag for breakfast and a coffee. Suzie wasn't impressed.

"I think I'll just have a sandwich, I don't have the bottomless purse that you seem to have!"

Tammy shrugged, Suzie had insisted on sharing a flat just South of the river and a fair proportion of her salary went on rent and the utilities. Once their parents had married, Tammy had offered Suzie a share of the Docklands apartment. Suzie had declined as it would cause a problem for her friend. They'd discussed it more than once.

"So long as he leaves the toilet seat down and doesn't walk around naked, I don't think there would be a problem, Suzie."

"I never said my flatmate was male."

"You never said they were female, either. What's his name?"

"You don't need to know."

"If he's my future brother-in-law then I think I would need to know."

"No, it would get back to mum, and you know how she is?"

"Okay, but the offer stands."

By eleven thirty the girls were sat near the gate, the plane hadn't arrived and there wasn't a rush but Suzie had wanted to move as soon as Tammy finished her coffee.

"Why?"

"I saw someone, and this is supposed to be a hush hush break."

"Blimey, Suzie, you need to calm down."

"But this is for your benefit, as you can't go to Thurso!"

"I've been up there, just a few weekends ago."

"I didn't know."

"I don't broadcast my movements, especially on social media."

"According to Facebook you're in Scotland this morning."

Tammy had worked out that the occasional update was preferable to disappearing completely. On a recent trip to Thurso she'd installed a small desktop PC in her room and enabled remote access. If she now wanted to update her friends, it was done via the Thurso PC; giving the appearance that she wasn't in England. Her phone now had the appropriate configuration, she started tapping away.

"What are you doing?"

"I've been asked about boyfriends at work, the girls want to know who it is."

"Well, sis, who?"

"No-one, I don't have the time or the energy."

"So tell them?"

"I did, now I get ten requests a week for dates from the unattached boys, or their close friends."

"How are you sorting that?"

"I'm marking my relationship status as 'It's Complicated'."

"That sounds like a description of your life, Tammy."

"I know, I know."

Through the window their plane was taxiing, although it was another fifteen minutes before the gate opened.

They arrived a few minutes early into Schipol Airport and were in the transit lounge fairly quickly.

"Hi mum, how are you?"

"Tired."

"Oh, Elsie?"

"I'll tell you later."

Angela was looking bored, perhaps mildly grumpy. Apart from being told about a flight into Amsterdam, she knew nothing more about the trip. Neither had Tammy, until she checked in that morning.

"Cheer up."

"But they won't tell me."

"It's for security reasons, you know that."

"Just because of you!"

Richard heard the pair starting to squabble and decided to put a stop to it.

"Hey, it's no-one's fault. If you recall we tried to fly last year and never made it out of the country. It's worth taking a few precautions this time around."

Tammy knew the reasoning, they weren't hiding but they weren't broadcasting their intentions either. The previous, aborted, year had been a skiing holiday.

"Tell me now?"

"Mallorca."

"Oh."

"Just 'oh', Angela?"

"Yeah, I just thought we'd be skiing, that's what I told Helen."

"And that's why you weren't told."

Their connecting flight was being called so Richard led the family towards the gate.

"Düsseldorf? I thought you said Mallorca?"

Angela was a little loud for everyone's liking. "Yes, Angela."

There was a little redirection in play but they flew onto Düsseldorf, arriving less than an hour later. By five o'clock, local time, they were in a suite in one of the downtown hotels.

"Right, Angela, we're staying here for two nights. There's a city centre and you're free to do what you want but I want one promise?" Richard was choosing his words carefully.

"What's that?"

"That you do not post any comments, updated, photos or videos anywhere on the internet."

"Er, okay."

"Because if you do, you are booked back to Glasgow tomorrow."

"That's not fair! Mum?"

"I won't have this holiday interrupted by terrorists or anyone else. What we do and where we go is our own business and no-one else's, understood?"

"Yes, mum. What about Tammy and Suzie?"

Joan turned to the girls, "have you updated anything, said where we are or where we're going?"

"No, mum."

"Not even your boyfriend, Suzie?"

"No! Hey?"

"A mother always knows, Suzie. Okay, your father and I are finding a quiet romantic restaurant and you three can do as you wish. Back here by midnight please."

As they walked away from the hotel, Tammy slid alongside Suzie. "So, who did you see at London City?"

"One of the guys from the Security Directorate."

"They do have a life outside work, you know."

"I know, but ....."

"Have you seen him since?"

"No, he wasn't on our flight to Amsterdam."

Angela was happily tapping away on her phone and completely missed the moped rider who snatched her shoulder bag.

Unsocial-Kindle-cover2.jpg

up
435 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Wonderful! Its so good to be reading Tammy again!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

tell me which café

Maddy Bell's picture

So I can avoid it when i'm there in a fortnight! The girls should be hitting the Weihnachtsmarktes - they'll be open late into the evening.
There might well be a problem with the bag snatch, the area with all the cafe's is fully pedestrianised and mark my word, in December Düsseldorf is cold so I can't see them being sat outside.

Brilliant to see them all though, why is Angela always such a misery?

Hugs
Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Be fair - it IS Dusseldorf

persephone's picture

Not the prettiest city in Germany

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Tammy's back!

Oh, it's so nice to have Tammy back.

I assume this means that many of your problems have been resolved - at least that is my hope.

Be well!

Red MacDonald

Ahhhhh!

The universe returns to its ever so complicated twist and turns, welcome back Tammy and the rest of the Smarts

Some things are simple

Angela should not be allowed out without a keeper. And I don't mean family and friends, a full time baby sitter and bodyguard. The bodyguard's primary task, however, would be to protect the world from Angela. ;-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Angela has always given me

Angela has always given me the impression that not only is she clueless, she is an airhead to boot. Now she has really messed it up by having her bag stolen right off her arm. Who knows what information it will have in it that is not supposed to be in it.

The balmy South

Seeing that the Smart family are from "Thurso - the freeze your tits off capital of the UK" - Düsseldorf in December might be warm for them :D
Angela - she's another trouble magnet like her sister Tammy - she was in the right place at the right time and slightly distracted, thus a perfect victim for the drive by bag snatching predator.
Cargo pants with big pockets are GOOD :)

great

great

Distracted teen

Podracer's picture

- or is that a tautology these days?
Wonderful to see Tammy C. Smart and author active here again, well done Shiraz.

"Reach for the sun."

Welcome Back, Tammy

joannebarbarella's picture

Life has been much too quiet and humdrum while you've been away.

Security not for the brain dead

Jamie Lee's picture

When it's necessary to take security precautions, letting someone like Angela in on the secret is like telling the whole world. Why does she feel it necessary to constantly tell complete strangers her every move? Did someone lypo her brain?

She can't understand the necessity to keep many things out of the public eye, then becomes upset when she finds out what she was told is not what's happening. She has a major problem, one which could get others hurt.

Others have feelings too.

New megaphone

Jamie Lee's picture

Tanya used to be the megaphone of Thurso. Now it seems there's a new one, Angela.

Angela is a security risk, because she doesn't understand how the slightest bit of information has the possibility of leading an undesirable to their location.

Any electronics she has should be locked from any social media sites. She won't like it, be neither would she like it if someone kidnapped her or worse.

Oy...what did she lose when her handbag was snatched? Passport? ID? And hopefully nothing which leads back to Tammy. Looks like their vacation might have just ended.

Others have feelings too.