Ginny's Story Chapter 60

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 


Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 60

When I got home, I found a note from Wendy saying she was going to take her GED exam on Monday at the High School. In the excitement of looking for Vinny I had forgotten all about her test!

I sat down and wrote a quick note of support, telling her she would be the first person to get a perfect score. Since Monday was a day off, I said she could go with me and drive.

About 11 AM, my phone rang, waking me up. Checking the caller ID I saw it was Pete. That woke me up!

“Morning Pete, good news?” I asked.

“Depending on what you call 'good news',” Pete continued, “There is no way your Alana Diaz is Morales. She's about three inches too short. Doctors can work miracles, but they can't reduce someone's height by three inches.

“One of my guys did a Charlie Chan and watched as “Ariana” blew her nose and dropped the tissue on the ground. Mary quickly picked it up and sent it to our lab for DNA testing. We have Vinny's DNA from when we were looking for him after that storm where his boat was found abandoned at sea by the Coast Guard.”

“I didn't know his DNA was on file Pete, won't this make it easier to find him?”

I heard him laugh, “You'd think so, but we're not “CSI”. It could take several weeks for any results to come back. Anyway, my guys followed her home to an apartment in Medford. I left a crew watching the building, just in case. But you're right, she does look a lot like his daughter Tina.”

I thought a moment before speaking, “Pete, I know this sounds wild, but we know Alana was born a boy, they check this at the Club you know, is it possible Morales had a son too? A son Vinny threw out of his house because he kept dressing in his sister's clothes? That's what happened to me, Pete, along with knowing the names of the nurses in the local Emergency Room.”

“Ginny, I thought you were just a runaway, I guess I should have figured it out before. Is that why you're so interested in getting this guy?”

Taking a deep breath before answering, I said, “No that's not it; that bastard felt me up, and thought he was a gift to women, he made my skin crawl. After what Tina did, I saw she was taking after him and was just as rotten. If this girl, Ariana, was Vinny's son, maybe, just maybe, she's different.”

“I hope you're right, Ginny. I'll let you know what develops, bye bye.”

Over breakfast, I gave my idea more thought. If the DNA came through and showed a connection, then what?

Oh well, time to get ready for work.

The phone rang again; this time it was Jean asking if we could leave a bit early, so she could stop at the Honda dealer on the way to work.

I agreed, of course, shopping of any kind is a treat for me. I suggested leaving an hour early. This would give her time to look around at the cars in stock.

At noon I heard her car pull up outside, before she got out I met her at the car and hopped inside.

“Are you looking to buy a car like mine or the bigger one, the Pilot?”

Looking at me, she said she had decided on a CR-V like mine, in red if they had one.

In no time we arrived at the dealer's. After parking, we walked around the lot a bit. I spotted a flash of red near the back of the building, and dragged Jean over to it.

A CR-V! Looking at the window sticker, this car was loaded! The price gave me a good idea just what a deal I got when I bought mine from the used car dealer.

We headed for the showroom and a salesman. As soon as we entered, a tall blonde saleswoman greeted us. “Have you seen anything you like that I can help you with?” she asked.

Jean got right to the point, “There's a red CR-V out there in your lot, what can you tell me about it?”

I wandered off to the lounge to catch the last minutes of the Noon news. The weather woman was threatening us with a little snow over the weekend and cold temperatures through Halloween.

Halloween! I used to dress up as a French Maid; maybe this year, I'd dress as a Sailor, or an Indian Chief, the song “YMCA” running through my head.

'Wendy! I wonder if she wants to dress in a costume? She'd look cute as a cheer leader, she has the legs for it.' I thought.

“Ginny, lets go, we'll be late.” Jean woke me from my day dream. I followed her to the car, asking how she made out.

“The cars mine, I signed the paperwork and left a check for a deposit.” she smiled, “That sales lady was shocked when I said I wanted to pay cash.”

“She said it would have to be a bank check, not a personal check. I flustered her a bit when I asked why a bank check, don't you take cash?”

That started me laughing, “Just how much do you get in tips, 'Terri'? You said it was a lot more than I did. And I figured out my tips would be over
$100,000 a year.”

Jean smirked, “Well, let's say I payed for that car with last months tips.”

I had seen the sticker price of $38,000! A year's tips would be over $400,000 ! Jeepers! Maybe I should buy an old Fire house pole and practice my moves.

We talked about her car all the way south on the expressway.

As we got to the turnoff, I remembered to tell her what Pete said. Jean was disappointed, but said she was glad, that kid could sing as well as the real Ariana Grande. It would be a shame to arrest her.

We split up at the stairs as usual with me heading for the lounge to put on my heels and grab an apron.

When Joy and Janice arrived they came over to me and asked when Logan was sending me to the big bar down stairs. I told them that was news to me and I really enjoyed working with them and the regular bar patrons.

“Besides”, I laughed, “Up here I could hear the singers.”

Jan smiled, “It's worth a least a hundred more a week in tips.”

She didn't know how much I made in tips because of the card reader to pay for drinks. Up here, I made over $1200 a week as it was, another $100 wasn't that big.

Cathy the ball player overheard Jan, and waved me over to her.

“Sweety, take my advice, Money is important, but being happy at work is more important, unless you are trying to support a family.”

I slid a draft Papst in front of her with my thanks. She placed her hand on my arm, “Also,Hiram and I would miss you. We hate that bar's patrons downstairs, all they want is strippers and lap dances.”

With that Hiram showed up, “Did I hear my name?” he asked, “What did I do?”

I walked off to take care of a waitress who needed a few mixed drinks.

“Sorry Hun, I never heard of this one.” she said, “but the guy gave me a fifty with orders to split it with you if you can make it.”

“Okay, what's the name?”

“It's called a Shoemaker, ever hear of it?” she asked.

“Where are you going to spend your $25?” I asked, “it was in the Sunday paper last week. Write this down, 1 tsp Amer Picon; 1oz Bailey's Irish Cream; 1 oz Irish Whisky. You combine these in an old-fashioned glass half full of ice and stir. Make him feel better, show him your cleavage when you serve him.”

“Just what is 'Amer Picon'?” she asked.

I showed her my bartenders book, “A bittersweet French aperitif that tastes like orange. We don't have it, so I substituted Cointreau, our secret.”

During my break, Ariana was fixing her lipstick and drinking cold water through a straw.

“Hi Ginny, busy night?” she asked.

I felt guilty looking at her, knowing how I had set her up. “Not that bad, I expect tomorrow will be crazy. Some people have Monday off, and we're closed, so they will pack in on Friday and Saturday.

“The more tips the better,” she said, “How have you done with tips?”

I told her my tips are added to my pay check and directly deposited to my savings account every two weeks.

She asked me if I liked Kate Perry, saying she had practiced her song “I kissed a boy.”

I giggled, “A great song for here, honey.”

Ariana looked confused, then burst out laughing. “Better than singing 'Lola'.”

She looked at the wall clock, squealed, and ran back to her stage, shouting over shoulder, “If I'm late, I'm fired.”

God, I like that kid. How do I ask if she's related to Morales?

About 1:45, the PA started to play “Good Night my Love” and the lights dimmed.

I was ready for Jean this time. She was smiling at the music selection too.

“Wonder whose idea that was? I like it.”

I was happy just to take off those damned heels, saying “Why can't I wear trainers? No-one can see my legs behind the bar.”

Jean said, “Try telling a man that hun, they think everyone leans over the bar and pinches your bum.”

We talked about Vinny on the ride home, until I remembered-to ask about what she was getting for her little sports car.

I'm keeping it, they were only giving me $10,000. If you want a car for Wendy, this would be great. It's got 60,000 miles, so it's got a lot left in it.”

“A sports car for a teenager's first car, is that wise Jean?”

“That's what my Father bought me, except my name was Tom then,” she giggled. “Anyway, it's my money, I might just give it to her, with your permission of course.”

I groaned as I kissed her cheek and tiptoed inside trying not to wake the sleeping Wendy who was spread out on the sofa.

Ellen had left a long note on my bed listing what Pete had told her about Ariana. She came up with the possibility she was his son too who he tossed out of his house for being a sissy. Where does she get these ideas, what has she been reading?

I couldn't wait to hear the DNA results from Pete. Is this a possibility I wondered.

As I was tiptoeing to my bedroom, Wendy almost scared me to death when she shouted “BOO!”.

To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, without her encouragement and assistance in correcting typos, this story would not exist.
Special thanks to Tanya Allen for permission to use her book The Candy Cane Club in my story.
up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Moralas

is still out there, lurking,oh joy.

Genny has an intresting

Samantha Heart's picture

Point it COULD be Venny''s son. As for Jeans car Wendy would be excited to get Jeans little sports car. Now we need to figure out where Venny is & how to get him.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Cliffhanger

joannebarbarella's picture

Morales junioR?

Cliffhanger?

joannebarbarella's picture

Morales Junior?

To work at the Club, you must

To work at the Club, you must start off a male, so Junior is possible.

How to get hurt in one easy lesson

Jamie Lee's picture

Simply sneak up behind someone and say, BOO! That could either cause a need to clean up a spot on the floor or get the person a right smart bop on the head. Or, no car for a very long time.

Others have feelings too.