Ginny's Story Chapter 62

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 


Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 62

Saturday came and went. Ellen had left a note saying, that after her riding lesson, she and Wendy were going out for dinner. She would leave money for Wendy's Sunday dinner. She and Pete were going to dinner and a show, she and I could talk on Monday.

Guessing I'd be home about 3:30 AM on Monday, she asked me to wake her up whenever I did get home.

Monday ! Wendy was taking her GED exam Monday at Swampscott High School, because of the holiday, classrooms would be empty. I had to find out what time, so I could be awake.

Jean dropped her car at our place and hopped in my SUV and we headed for the dealer's. Jean had explained she had to be out of there with her new car by 2 PM or the deal was off.

I hung around and watched curling on the TV in the service lounge until I was certain Jean was ready.

I heard my name and turned around, Jean gave me a thumbs up, and said she'd see me at the Club.

After a quick ride south, I parked near the employee's entrance. Before I headed inside, I heard a car pull up along side mine,it was Jean! How fast did she drive?

Jean said we'd meet at closing, and If I wanted, we could swap CR/V's for the ride home.

The night was 8 hours of mixing drinks and serving beers. No Hiram or Cathy tonight.

The closing music was played at 2:45 AM and Jean showed up with a big smile. “I left my Mazda at your place so Wendy can drive it to her test. Is that okay with you Ginny?”

I said if I'm not in work Tuesday, check the local hospitals. We swapped rides, wow! There is a big difference between her new car and my 6 yr old car. We swapped back at my condo. Now to get enough sleep to go with Wendy.
I walked inside and there was Ellen and Wendy watching an old movie. Before I could get my jacket off, Ellen hopped up and started to dance with me in a wild circle.

“Look at my finger, look at my finger! Pete asked me to marry him, and I said yes!”

I calmed Ellen down and told her to tell me everything.

Well, we had a date for a movie and dinner. We went to the theater in Danvers to see”Down sizing”the Matt Damon movie. Then nowhere fancy, the Olive Garden restaurant on Rte 114. I figured something was up when the waiter brought a bottle of champagne with desert.”

Before I knew it, Pete knelt down and asked me the big question. He got a round of applause from the other diners.

Oh yeah, I said yes. What do you think of my ring?”

I grabbed her hand and checked out her rock. It was a beautiful brilliant stone of 1 ½ carats in a beautiful gold setting. Pete didn't buy this at Walmart.

By this time both of us were crying and hugging, leaving Wendy out of our celebration. We finally calmed down and sat on the sofa. My first question was had they set a date.

“Not yet, but probably next summer, neither one of us has much family, and Pete didn't want half the Mass State Police there. So we thought to have the marriage service and reception at the same place.”

I said if I was to get up at 9 AM, I had to slide into bed now. I gave her another hug and a big kiss and said, “You too Wendy, it's your test.”

I dragged myself out of bed and into the shower by 9 AM. Tossed on jeans, a sweater and boots, and headed for the kitchen and coffee. Ellen joined me and poured the life saving elixir.

“Did Pete say any more about Morales?” I asked, not expecting an answer. But Ellen surprised me.

“He said something about showing up early on Tuesday and speaking with the manager about memberships, but that's all I know”.
I laughed, “I'm surprised he said that much, under the circumstances.”

Wendy joined us for a cup of coffee, but looked as bright and shiny as a new penny.

“I'm all ready to go Auntie, how about you?”

I grabbed Jean's keys and tossed them to her saying she was driving.

Her eyes got big and her lower lip trembled, “I'm driving?”

I didn't answer, just got into the passenger's side.

We got to the school, I gave her a big kiss, and said to kill the test, and that I'd be back in a few hours with a book and iced coffee. It was a four hour test, but I expected her to finish early.

I awoke to tapping on the window. Looking up aw it was that cute Swampscott cop.

“This is a funny place to take a nap.” he said, “What's going on?”

I explained my niece was taking her GED, and the sun was nice, too nice.”

He laughed, then he chatted for fifteen minutes before wishing Wendy luck and drove off.

The ice in my coffee had melted, but I still sipped on it until I saw Wendy coming out the door.

I checked my watch, yup, three hours, just like I figured.

She had a huge smile and opened the driver's door so I could get out, and she could drive again.

“How did you do?, I asked.

“Blew it away, I think I got every question correct, it was so easy!”

I hugged her and asked where she wanted to go for lunch, on me.

She surprised me by saying Chili's on Route 1.

Over lunch we discussed Ellen's wedding, and what Pete was going to do about Vinny Morales.

I told her that he agrees that he wants to see his son sing. The only way to do this is to become a member,in drag or as a cross dresser.

“Morales would spot a cop sitting in the parking lot, so that was out. Pete would have to get permission from Mr Logan to view the new membership applications.”

“Each application has a photo of the member, in mufti and dressed as a woman. Now to see how persuasive Pete can be.”

Wendy giggled, “He persuaded Ellen to marry him.”

I shook my head and said, “It doesn't work that way kid, but you'll learn, don't worry.”

We got home, Ellen met us in the driveway, unable to wait for the news. When Wendy said the questions were easy, Ellen knew she passed, and escorted us inside.

“SURPRISE!” Everyone yelled, “Congratulations Wendy.” Somehow Ellen had people park around the corner, hidden from sight. Kevin and Billy were there, so was Steve Brady, and Pete Smith . There was a cake and a few gifts. Jean came in the door holding a set of keys.

“These are yours Wendy, along with the set in your hand.”

Wendy's jaw dropped. “The car is mine?” she asked bursting into tears.

Again everyone clapped.

I cut and served cake while Wendy was opening her gifts. Kevin and Billy gave her come nice perfume, Pete and Ellen gave her a $100 gift card for gasoline. Steve Brady gave her a gift certificate to Macys, And I gave her the money for insurance for when she registered it in her name.

Now, the driver's road test. It used to be a ride around Bell Circle, but now it was held in the MBTA parking garage at Wonderland Station.

She went from speechless to gabbing like a murder of crows. Steve ordered pizza and Kevin made a beer and cola run.

Everyone found a place to sit and enjoy the pizza while the early news was warning of a chance of light snow overnight. I leaned over to Jean and said I would drive tomorrow, no arguments.

I figured, she had a new car, and I used to drive a heavy dump truck in the snow while I plowed and sanded in blizzards.

Everyone went home at 7 PM giving me time to get a night's sleep.

Sure enough, at mid mourning, three inches of snow had fallen and it was still snowing lightly.

I left at 1 PM giving us two hours to travel what normally took less than an hour.

Did I ever mention how bad people drove in the snow in Boston? Well, they do. They drive too fast or cut into your lane like it was July.

We made it to the club without incidents, However, Jean heard language she hadn't heard before. What do you want? I used to drive a truck, remember?

The place,was empty, everyone decided not to drive in the snow. Logan closed at midnight sending us home. My tips for the night were only $47.

Thank the Lord, I get a salary, and don't live on tips.

The snow had stopped, so Jean and I breezed home in under 40 minutes.

There was a sticky note from Ellen saying to call Pete in the morning.

I wonder what that's about I thought as I fell asleep.

To be continued


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for without her encouragement and assistance in correcting typos, this story would not exist.

Special thanks to Tanya Allen for permission to use her book "The Candy Cane Club" in my story.
up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A lot has happned

Samantha Heart's picture

Wendy get Jeans old car Jean get a CRV Wendy passes her GED, Elin gets engaged, now Peat wants Genny to call him in the morning. I'm thinking he will have a cow on the phone then ask for help getting dressed.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

I had too many loose ends

Read "Gene's Story" chapters 1 & 2 That's how Ellen and Ginny met. Gene(Ginny) drove a Tri-axle Dump truck hauling gravel and hot-top.

Karen

The ever elusive Vinnie.

Monique S's picture

I am sure must be suicidal, if he shows up at the club in drag or similar. Just doesn't make sense. So why does everybody seem to believe he will? He's already got his daughter into jail by his example, so now it is his other child to bring to her doom? No way that makes sense.
He's managed for so long to escape, he can't be that stupid!

Monique S

Vinny in heels

I don't know Monique, J Edgar Hoover walked around in dresses at home, why not Vinny? Who would see a 5'8" drag queen looking like a Ru Paul reject and say, "Hey, that's the infamous drug czar the cops are looking for."
If Lee Harvey Oswald changed into a skirt and heels in the movie theater, he would still be around today and giving lap dances in Cuba.

Lucky Wendy

joannebarbarella's picture

Smart girl....License, party and car all in one go.

Check list being completed

Jamie Lee's picture

Wendy's check list is slowly getting done. Two birds with one stone by passing her GED test and getting a car. Next comes a job, though not the job she'd like because she's too young.

So maybe Steve hires Wendy and she helps Ellen until she's old enough to work at a club or attending bar tending school.

Was it really too much of a surprise Pete would ask Ellen to Marry him? The surprise was his being told by Ginny to get off his butt and ask Ellen. Stop procrastinating, ask Ellen to marry him.

Now the next event to complete is Wendy's driving test. And since Ginny has been letting her drive, showing Wendy her trust in Wendy's abilities, Wendy should pass the test without any problems.

Others have feelings too.