Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 10 "Plane Sailing?"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Ten

 

"Plane Sailing?"

 

 
Wednesday 19th April 2017
 

Tammy had finished breakfast and was back in her room when Suzie knocked on the door.

"Look, sorry Tammy, I let things get on top of me."

"Do you still want the job?"

"Well, yes, I think so, but please keep off my back."

"Suzie, please give me an example of when I've upset you?"

"Having a go at me yesterday?"

"Because you were back here just after three? When, last night, I checked the CCTV remotely there was a familiar face in the office just after one. You left together a few minutes later, that's barely three hours work, although you did seem to achieve the most important tasks."

"You were spying on me?"

"Just verifying a suspicion, how long have you been seeing James?"

"I haven't."

"Last time I checked I was his girlfriend."

"He might have mentioned that yesterday."

"Did he drop you off here?"

"Yes."

"I suppose you had lunch together?"

"No, Miss Perfect, I had a hospital appointment."

"Oh."

"I've been having problems, including cramps, heavy periods and headaches. The GP took me off the pill in February to see if that was the problem. Then my cycle went haywire, barely two weeks between periods and some wonderful migraines so I went back to the GP on the 4th, if you recall?"

"Yes, it was the morning the stairlift guy was coming back but I don't think you said why you had an appointment?"

"You didn't ask and it's not the sort of stuff I'd normally discuss. Anyway I saw the gynaecologist yesterday and James was kind enough to offer to take me to the hospital for the appointment then bring me home afterwards."

"I'm sorry, Suzie, I didn't know."

"Just be grateful you won't have these problems!" Tammy trusted that Suzie wasn't being vindictive, but it was a sharp reminder of the difference between them.

"Is this why your emotions have been all over the place?"

"Yes."

"So what happens now?"

"I'm on a different pill, but it might take a few weeks to settle things down. Meanwhile I have a fortnight's worth of pain and mood pills to help me through the day."

"At least you're getting help. How come you spoke to James?"

"He offered yesterday when he came to see you at the office, but you were out. I asked Dad to drop me in town and I made an excuse about not wanting to use my moped. Thing was, I didn't know if I would be able to ride home from the hospital, since I didn't know what they would do. So my plan was to walk to the hospital then get a cab home. Then James came by and offered to take me, given the weather that was a nice gesture from him."

"Are you seeing him again?"

"Err, we haven't arranged anything."

"But I bet you exchanged numbers?"

"Hmm, yes."

"So where does that leave me, Suzie?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do I still have a boyfriend?"

"You'd best ask him. He said to call him if I wanted a lift this morning as the weather is looking like it'll turn horrid again. As it is, I felt dizzy on these new pills so the moped definitely isn't a good idea right now. Anyway, I thought you'd be down there by now?"

"I wasn't going to be there this morning but I can drop you off as I'm going past the office, on my the airport. Does this mean you're working today?"

"Yes, if you still want me?"

"As far as I'm concerned you're still my office manager."

"But, what I said yesterday?"

"I didn't get it in writing!"

Tammy arrived at the airport just after ten having dropped Suzie in town, she knew she needed to deal with James but how? As she pulled through the security gates she could see a plane landing. a few minutes later it had taxied to a position in front of the Smart Aviation Hanger, G-TMYS was sign-written on the fuselage. Jim stepped down from the plane and walked over.

"Well? Here's your new Czech Sport PS-28."

"She looks great, almost new, but what's up with the registration?"

"Your father thought it would be a good idea to re-register it, we found that G-TMYS was available so your Dad thought he'd grab it for you."

"Hell, now everyone will know it's me without having to look it up!"

"I'm sorry, Tammy, but it wasn't my decision. Did you want to take her up?"

"The cloud level doesn't look too good?"

"Well, check with the tower, I can go with you if you wish?"

"Okay. I know she's just come in but I'll do the checks myself?"

"I'll put the kettle on, there's some biccies in the office too."

Tammy checked the weather and it looked like they were okay until mid afternoon. Next she undertook a visual inspection of her new aircraft, starting and finishing in the cockpit. She'd checked out the specs the previous evening so had a good idea what the controls looked like, how they were arranged, but it was always good to see in person.

She was back in the office as Jim was pouring a pot of tea through a strainer into two mugs.

"I thought you were making coffee?"

"Ay, but I changed my mind. I hope you didn't mind?"

The biscuits were her favourite, but had milk chocolate on one side that melted slightly if you dunked them for too long.

After a quick wee they were strapped in, with clearance to take off.

Tammy let Jim take her up but then he passed control to her; with a little hesitation she turned North and headed over the water.

"Are you sure, Tammy?"

"I don't want a phobia about flying over water and this is the best way to deal with that."

She first crossed the Orkney Islands then continued across open sea to the Shetlands, keeping high. Out at sea visibility was good and she started to enjoy herself. She checked in with Kirkwall & Sumburgh towers as she passed near those airports but after an hour she was turning South. At Jim's insistence she brought the plane safely down at Wick, about two hours after taking off.

"Well done, I don't think you'll have a problem on your own."

"Thanks Jim, I best get the paperwork done."

"I'll get a tug so we can tow it inside."

"Good idea, I'll refuel before I next use her."

Tammy needed lunch but wasn't going to use the supermarket next to Wick Airport so headed back to Thurso. She was going to ask Suzie if she wanted lunch in the hotel but deliberately didn't call, deciding that a surprise was needed. When she stopped, however, a familiar car was parked near the office door. As Tammy reached the top of the stairs and was about to enter the office she spied Suzie in an embrace with James, which looked much more than a friendly gesture. She hadn't been noticed so went back to her car, the idea of lunch was evaporating.

What could she do? It was clear that Suzie wasn't working but it was lunchtime, in the vaguest meaning, so she could have been using her own time. James, however, had crossed a line and would not, could not, return to any relationship with Tammy.

She drove around to the quayside car-park before making a call to the office phone. It was eventually answered, on the third ring.

"Suzie, he has to leave and James is no longer welcome in the office."

"You're wrong!"

"I came up the stairs just now and saw both of you. I don't want him there ever again."

"If he goes, so do I!"

"Leave your keys and door pass on the desk please. You clearly have no idea how to work in the real world."

"Bitch!"

Two more calls followed.

"Pru, please terminate Suzie's employment at Smart Property Management. She's resigned." "Will do."

"Dad, I've had to let Suzie go. I need you to know before Mum gets wind of it."

"I guess it's something about her conversation with you this morning?"

"You heard it? It sort of like that, anyway she's been abusing the office when I've not been there, having visitors there, working short hours ....."

"I used to get visitors all the time."

"Did they push their tongue down your throat?"

"No, is there more to this?"

"Yes, she's welcome to my ex boyfriend."

"Tammy, you are taking this rather personally."

"If she can't find the time to answer the phone then that is bad for business, my guess is that emails haven't been dealt with either or the website updated."

"Find evidence of that and I'll support you."

"Thanks Dad."

The bakery was out of filled rolls so Tammy drove to a nearby supermarket and bought provisions to make up a lunch, it was two pm before she was back at the office. She unlocked Suzie's computer and saw that it was open on a gossip news site, as well as one of the social media platforms. The last email Suzie had dealt with was timed at 10 o'clock that morning, whilst fifteen messages remained outstanding, and there were three voicemails.

She made up some salad rolls and opened the bottle of orange juice she'd purchased before tackling the emails. By four thirty she had caught up but several site visits were now needed and one building had lost a roof tile overnight. It took her until six to get hold of a roofer who could attend, although the earliest was on Friday; she just prayed there wouldn't be much rain in the meantime.

Tammy continued working until nearly seven and that included posting a job vacancy on her website. Once she arrived home her father quickly took her into his study.

"What does it look like?"

"She's done hardly any work done again today. James arrived at midday but she'd done very little before ten and virtually nothing since then. Frankly Dad, I don't think she's ready for work."

"I'd have to agree with you. Think about this though, she left an abusive home at seventeen to study and went straight into work. Last December's problem knocked her about and she lost her confidence, she also started having a life again, outside of the cocoon of the agency."

"Yeah, I hoped I could give her back some confidence."

"She's a qualified accountant who's done some heavy analytical work and you've got her answering the phone, reading emails and making the occasional house call. She's bored, Tammy, she needs a challenge and this job is just wrong for her."

"I guess so."

"Please don't write a bad reference for her, even if it is only a few weeks worth or employment."

"I'll do my best. What about Mum?"

"Suzie cried her heart out to her mum but I'd already spoken to Joan. She's at the school in a meeting and asked me to let her know if you'd be prepared to help her?"

"Why?"

"I'm not certain, but it involves a year 11 student. Grab some food and I'll call her. Oh, there's a package in your room that arrived today."

"Thanks."

Tammy found a large home-made Cornish-style pasty in the kitchen, still lukewarm. She popped it into the Aga's warming oven then found steamed new potatoes and veg, as well as a gravy. All was reheated gently and after twenty minutes she sat to eat it, interrupted by her father.

"I just got off the phone, can you get there now?"

"I've just sat down!"

"Okay, I'll tell her you'll be ten minutes?"

"Complete with indigestion!"

"Twenty then!"

Tammy tried not to eat too fast otherwise her tummy really would be complaining later. She concentrated on the pasty, she could always microwave the tatties and veggies but a proper pasty shouldn't ever be zapped if you want to keep the pastry crisp.

At eight she parked outside the front of St Andrews School and walked into the main hallway. A member of staff, who Tammy didn't recognise, came out of the secretary's office.

"Hello, the school's closed for the night."

"I've been asked to come here by Joan Smart, I know where her office is."

"I'm afraid I'll have to verify that."

"Look, I'm Tammy Smart, School Ambassador, former Head Girl here and daughter of Joan Smart. I was asked to come here to deal with an issue that's arisen. I don't know how long you've been here but just about every other member of staff here knows me."

"You can't just go walking, and I still have no evidence of who you are!"

Tammy ignored her and briskly walked away, she had reached Joan's door before the girl caught up. Tammy knocked as the light was red. When the door opened Mike Thompson was behind it, "Ah Miss Smart, thank you for coming."

Tammy entered and Mike Thompson left, she could hear voices through the door but her concern was Joan and a St Andrews boy in uniform, complete with a kilt.

"Sit down Tammy, I'm hoping that you'll be able to reassure Lyndon that he's not in any trouble."

Tammy nodded and smiled at the schoolboy, trying to remember the face.

Joan asked Lyndon, "do you remember Miss Smart when she was a prefect a few years ago?"

"Not really, this is only my third year at the school."

"Well, Tammy was the first girl at St Andrews."

"Okay."

"Can you tell Tammy what you told me?"

"Not really, I don't think I can."

Tammy could feel a touch of wind and unfortunately both Lyndon and Joan heard it. Lyndon giggled.

"See, I'm human too!" Said Tammy, "I don't bite and I won't pass judgement. I also have a good idea why Mrs Smart asked me to be here but you should know that's because she's my mum."

"Oh."

"Let me help you, what name do you call yourself?"

In a quiet voice, "Linda"

"Okay, Linda, that's a lovely name. How long have you known about yourself?"

"Since I was eleven or twelve."

"That's about the same age that I was, when I found out I should have been a girl."

"You?"

"Yes, Linda, I used to be Thomas but I've been Tammy for a few years now, including my last year at St Andrews."

"So you changed over whilst you were here?"

"I transitioned whilst I was a student here, yes."

"I don't think I'll be able to."

"Why not?"

"I don't think my parents would want me to stay here, not after they found my clothes."

"When was that?"

"This morning. They emailed me a photo of a bonfire, all my clothes were on it." Linda started to cry, Tammy reached for a box of tissues and offered a few to the student.

"If there's one thing I know about this school, is that if you reach for the impossible then there's every chance you'll get it. I'm sure Mrs Smart and Mr Thompson have already said that to you?"

Joan and Linda nodded.

"Did your parents say anything else?"

"They were coming this weekend to remove me from the school, Dad would probably have come sooner but there's work to do on the farm."

"Do you want to leave?"

"No! I like it here and I start my GCSE exams next week. Thing is, I can't afford to stay."

"Let the people here worry about that, I'm sure that you'll be looked after and there are safeguards for situations like this. Please make a note of any phone call and show Mrs Smart any email that you get, as they need every bit of help you can give them."

"Yes."

"Good girl!"

Tammy headed home and didn't see anyone near the school office but there was a note on her car windscreen, under a wiper blade.

So the employee knew Tammy was expected, what was her problem?

Back indoors she finally opened the package her father had mentioned, revealing a pair of spray cans. A month earlier she'd been warned not to use the law enforcement certified pepper spray that she'd previously carried so had invested in a different, fully legal, method. She slipped the discrete cans into her bag.

Tammy climbed into bed, hoping, beyond expectation, that she would have an easier time the following day.

----

Disclaimer: The aircraft registration G-TMYS wasn't in use when I checked the CAA database on 27th Nov 2018.

Czech Sport Aircraft official site

up
384 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ME FIRST!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

ME FIRST! Firstt kudo, first comment!
Let's boot Suzie's rear-assembly, hang James then go for another therapeutic flight! Let Mike sort the staffing issue. As for office help, maybe one of Tammy's friends can help out, not Tanya though.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Have I missed something

Sammi's picture

Tanya may have had her baby, but I thought she was still employed by St Andews as the nightime Joan, with the cottage included?


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

She is, but isn't she on

She is, but isn't she on maternity leave as well?

I don't think has any other friends except Angela and even then she's her sister first, all others are more like acquaintances and steer clear of her...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Once bitten and twice shy ... but ...

As for office help, maybe one of Tammy's friends can help out, not Tanya though.

Maybe Angela would be better? Family business and all that ...

She's busy at the creche and

She's busy at the creche and studying for her childcare program, her bad day might have been more of a simple worst day pile-on of bad luck than a need to find a new job.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

me first

dani4familyfun's picture

you probably have an inside track...[grins]

Dani4FamilyFun

Brits are weird?

Linda started to cry, Tammy reached for a box of tissues and offered a few to the student.

Not tissues - a smothered-by-boobs hug is what's needed ...

Stealing a sibling's BF? OOh, Suzie, that's just Evil! - you need a good spanking for that!

Re greeting at school - "I not know you but hate already". That's a line from a comic I'm following and applies to Tammy's effect on people perfectly :)

There must be something in the water at St. Andrews to effect all those MtF transitions.

In unrelated and irrelevant news, in their last game at The Dammies Thurso came out on top in the Caithness derby and beat Halkirk 2-1 to progress to the Semis of the North Caledonian Cup.
Action packed highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ygh5oh-KLU&feature=youtu.be

Tammy is lucky she found out about James

before it really got serious, though I expect this will cause long term friction between her and Suzie, I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

First Tanya and now Suzie

Is something in the water there? And then there is all the other riffraff she has to deal with. Goddess, is there no one Tammy can trust?

Tammi's Emotional Pain.

I'd suggest that perhaps Tammi was feeling considerable pain over the treachery of her sister and the infidelity of her plonker BF. I would be, though it might take a while for it to register. As for her sister using her "femaleness" to explain it all, well that belongs in the bog. I might be wrong, but I think most T folk have a lonely existence.

Susie

WillowD's picture

And now I know why Susie has not been acting like I expect her to.

Tammy is certainly having a hectic life.

nice little plane

dani4familyfun's picture

should be an excellent run about. Looks like it has the legs to go places she needs to. she wont be carrying to many passengers though.

Dani

Dani4FamilyFun

Siblings

All three have led very sheltered lives, with minimal interaction with 'real' society on a personal level. Similarly with many students at St. Andrews, who are dumped there for most of the year by busy, high-flying parents who have little time for personal, familial interaction with their children.

While the number of trans students at St. Andrews is suspiciously high, there are likely a lot of other social outcasts who need the pastoral elements of the school (as they likely don't get much pastoral care and support at home).

While it will likely be many years before they can be fully coeducational, when building new dorms it might be prudent to add a handful of spare rooms. They probably won't have sufficient trans students to justify building a Poe Cottage, though!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!