Special FX -015- Mierde

Printer-friendly version

Stay in character, I told myself. You’re the high-maintenance girlfriend enjoying the perks of being beautiful and sexy.

SFX2-cov-002_1.jpg
Special FX
15. Mierde
by Erin Halfelven

The restaurant was probably still an hour from closing, kept open by its location and overflow from the busy hotel bar, but it wasn’t so full that we needed to wait for seating. The tables were actually on an upper floor with a view of the beach.

We took the stairs up, and I had very little trouble with the heels that Jack had talked me into wearing. A little wobbly, but my feet seemed to like heels and I did enjoy the height. I’d been wearing the hidden heels in my transformed sneakers since I’d been zapped by that special effects camera, after all.

The waiter held the chair for me, but I almost flubbed that by sitting down too quick. Jack grinned at me. “Did you think he was going to snatch it away.”

I made a face and shrugged. “This is going to take some getting used to.”

He grinned wider. “I’m going to order for us. Get used to that too.”

He’d already told the waiter what wine to bring and neither of us had been carded. I sighed. I’d had wine before and a sip or two did not sound at all bad. “Go ahead,” I conceded. “My brain is not up to deciphering menus right now.”

The waiter returned with a small bottle of some kind of red wine and did the ritual of letting Jack taste it before pouring us each a glass. He also brought bread and butter on small plates.

I put a napkin on my lap, remembering to keep my knees together. Stay in character, I told myself. You’re the high-maintenance girlfriend enjoying the perks of being beautiful and sexy. I suppressed a giggle. Gotta work on that, I resolved.

Jack ordered steak medallions for me with a romaine house salad, and asked if I wanted a potato. I shook my head. The meal sounded good but I suspected from earlier that my appetite would be smaller than before and I’d rather eat steak than starch. Something else occurred to me, too. As a starlet, I’d probably have to watch my weight.

“Something painful?” Jack inquired.

He must be referring to my expression and I wondered what I had been doing with my face. If it communicated that well, it would be useful to me as an actor. “Just thinking of all the complications,” I said. I waved a hand airily and almost giggled again.

“Time enough for that later, Hallie,” he suggested. “Relax and enjoy a good meal.”

I smiled, partly at the use of my new name. Even if it turned out to be temporary, I kind of like it. “Thank you, Jack. I didn’t expect this evening and it is nice.”

“De nada, chica,” he said, calling me ‘girl’ in casual Spanish. I didn’t object because a sudden shiver down my back surprised me.

It wasn’t a purely internal shiver—I seemed to be sitting in a draft. turned to look out at palm trees on the beach and the black water beyond. A cold current of air flowed off the windows and I felt a line of goosebumps on my arms. It was just chilly enough to be uncomfortable but it wasn’t actually cold.

“You really do have an expressive face, Hallie,” Jack noted. “You’re cold. Let me go out to the car and I bet I can find a jacket or wrap for you.”

But just then the waiter returned with our salads. After placing them in front of us, he gestured at something he had over one arm. “Miss,” he said, “I have a light shawl you can wear to keep off the chill.”

I boggled a bit. “I…I…thank you.” I meant it too. I leaned a bit forward and he draped the length of lacy periwinkle fabric around my shoulders. The heat of my blush pushed the rest of the cold away and I thanked the man again.

“You’re very welcome,” he assured me, smiling. He was an older man and quite gallant. He’d only given my chest a simple look the first time and kept his gaze away from the view afterwards. “You can leave the shawl here, or at the desk downstairs, or take it with you and bring it back another time.”

Jack expressed his thanks to the man also, and when the waiter retreated said, “Saved me a trip to the car. Hallelujah.” He grinned, probably at his own joke of using my name for its meaning. “I’m sorry that I didn’t think of you getting cold sooner.”

“Um,” I said, still bemused by the unaccustomed solicitousness of a stranger, even one whose job it was to keep people happy. I fingered the fabric and smiled. “Someone must have left this behind, but it’s an expensive item.”

Jack opened his mouth and closed it again. I wondered what he’d been about to say.

He grinned. “Get used to being treated well, Babe.”

“Don’t call me ‘babe,’” I protested.

“Eh,” he said. “Get used to being called ‘babe’ instead of ‘dude”, Sugar.” He grinned.

I know I pouted at that but I couldn’t help myself, and Jack just laughed.

The salad had stalks of romaine lettuce sprinkled with tiny shrimp with a side of tangy dressing, and was delicious enough to distract me from Jack’s annoyances. I concentrated on that and contemplated ways to annoy him.

He kept up a commentary. “Your face, your body, your hair, your eyes, your lips—you’ve got it all, querida mia.”

I sniffed. How much Spanish did he know? Just the endearments? “You’re not Raul Julia, and I am definitely not your darling.”

“Maybe not,” he admitted. “But you’re going to have a lot of men wishing you were theirs.”

Scary thought. Our plates came and I resolved to enjoy the tender, if petite, steaks. A half dozen asparagus spears and an ounce or two of button mushrooms accompanied the plate. It was no effort at all to savor the flavors and I curled my toes in bliss.

I sipped wine, feeling mellow, when I had eaten enough, and I regarded Jack through the hair that kept falling over my left eye. “I know you’re rich, Jack,” I said quietly, “but do you take very many girls out for a dinner like this?”

He grinned. “Only the most beautiful, Hallie, love,” he said. “Dessert?”

“Uh, no,” I said. I had to learn not to blush at his malarkey compliments.

The waiter had other ideas. “A tiny scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is complimentary with the meal,” he offered.

“Uh,” I hesitated.

“Yes, please,” said Jack. “Thank you, Sidney.” The waiter hurried off while Jack extracted a black American Express card from his wallet.

“Sidney?” I murmured. “You know his name?”

Jack just nodded. Knowing people’s names was an art, I considered. Part of Jack’s charm. I resolved to learn the skill, too.

Sidney brought Jack’s card back with the ice cream and we paused to savor the treat. Just enough, though it was not much more than a tablespoon.

“Ready to go, muñequita?” Jack asked when I had finished my bite.

“Uh, huh,” I said, a little dreamily. It had been a very long time since I had enjoyed a meal more. Even Jack calling me ‘little doll’ in Spanish didn’t faze me.

“Sit tight,” Jack commanded. Then he got up from his seat and came around to help me out of mine just as Sidney arrived to pull the chair out of my way.

“Thank you, Sidney,” I murmured. “And thank you for the shawl. I’ll bring it back as soon as I can.” I looked at him under my lashes and fluttered them at him. I wasn’t paying the bill so I couldn’t leave him a tip and he deserved something.

He stood up straight, beaming. “No hurry, miss,” he said. “Have a good night.”

Jack put an arm around my waist as we went down the stairs to the lobby and I didn’t even object. The other waiters and the maitre d’ beamed at me and even the hotel deskman smiled. “Everyone is so nice to me,” I said to Jack as the doorman opened the door for us.

“You’re a pretty girl with a smile that lights up a room, mi hermosilla,” said Jack.

My little beauty, huh? I felt a warm glow at the compliment despite the disturbing implications. Could I get used to this? I wondered. Maybe with just enough wine.

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“Everyone is so nice to me,”

giggles.

it does help to be a pretty girl, sometimes. Or so I've been told.

DogSig.png

Pretty sure

erin's picture

I'm pretty sure it can be useful. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Hallie needs to be careful,

Hallie needs to be careful, otherwise she's going to fall for Jack. Of course it doesn't seem to bother jack if that were to happen. I just hope he's just as nice when he's not in the wooing phase.

Charm

erin's picture

Jack has tons of bad boy charm, but he's a good soul. If he decides Hallie is not keeping it light and non-serious, we can hope he has enough sense and good intentions to break it off. Unless of course, he really falls for Hallie himself? Hmm... :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Jack keep using terms of Endearment

Samantha Heart's picture

Even in Spanish.... I have to wonder if this is just... a new conquest for him, or if he really likes Hailey.... poor girl... dosen't know how to be a cute pretty girl let alone a girl in general. I think in a way Jack may help her find her self. I hope.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Jack can't resist

erin's picture

I don't think Jack is wired to NOT call a pretty girl by endearments. He's sort of trying to get her used to it, perhaps. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.