The Visit - Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 15

Robert was nervous to leave the house in female garb that was sensed by Adele who took his arm to steady him. He stopped on the pavement nervously looking both ways for passers- by then across the Square but it seemed that nobody was taking notice. London was a busy city compared with his home town of Bristol that was much to his relief.

Adele gave words of re-assurance commenting that she too had been nervous on her first excursion as Arthur but now she relished the freedom it presented. This was exciting for Adele since she wanted Robert to understand the limitations of being out in public as a woman but at the same time the joys of being admired and treated courteously.

Adele ensured that Roberts legs were covered with the thick woollen blanket provided and gave their first destination to the cab driver who gently coaxed the chestnut mare into movement. As the cab pulled away Robert looked at the splendid row of houses on their side of the Square bathed in early summer sunshine. It was like paradise to him and he hoped this would be the first of many visits.
Adele had decided their first destination should be to the Law Firm in Chancery Lane who had handled the original agreement between her grandfather Judge Fleming and the other investors in the Club whilst everything was fresh in her mind. Robert agreed since he was interested to have his Aunts information confirmed that she’d disclosed over dinner. Both were excited that there was a connection between their families even if William and Aunt Roberta had never actually married.

Upon arrival Adele jumped down from the cab relishing the freedom of her male persona. She turned and helped Robert step down safely in his skirts placing her hands around his trim corseted waist to avoid the risk of him falling. He felt it would have been nigh impossible without Adele’s assistance and her experience was invaluable. There had been an early morning shower and the paving slabs were still wet so he lifted his skirts as he approached the 4 steps to the front door of Foster & Walkers Solicitors a prominent practice in London. He was keen to avoid them being dirtied since they were borrowed and not his. He supposed it would be very difficult for Polly to clean them.

Once on the first step he held onto the iron hand rail whilst Adele past him and opened the large heavy door. At either side of the door were large shiny brass plates with the name of the practice and a huge doorbell that looked well used. They had no appointment but that was dealt with efficiently by Adele on entry using her grand-fathers name by way of introduction. She had brought papers with her in the name of Arthur Fleming that her grandfather had arranged and she asked to meet one of the partners if possible. Mr Walker was at his desk in his office so he accepted the appointment.

Robert was nervous about joining the meeting and sensitive to his appearance outside his Aunts home who could only see him as Roberta however he was dressed. He was not showing any glimpse of breast either that he felt would have averted Mr Walkers eyes and he felt he was being undressed by his gaze. Adele touched his knee to calm him and explained who they were referring to Robert as Roberta Deane the grand-daughter of his Aunt who Mr Walker knew very well. He also had known and respected Judge Fleming and he passed his complements to both of his guests for their appearance and good manners.

Adele took the lead in the conversation as Mr Arthur Fleming and Roberta confirmed her agreement when he turned to her for support from time to time. Roberta ttok over from Robert and she did her best to sit upright on her seat with her hands clasped together on her lap trying avoiding eye contact as much as possible. She was nervous and her stomach was churning even though she had eaten breakfast with Aunt Roberta. She felt a little awkward and her nervousness resulted in a feeling that she needed to relieve herself. The pain made her clench her teeth and she tried to focus on the discussion between Adele and Mr Walker. It seemed very amicable and she didn’t like to interrupt. It was difficult to hold on but somehow she managed even if it did affect her concentration and she missed some of the discussion.

Mr Walker focused on his discussion with Adele who was of the opinion that he was a typical solicitor of higher class society and he was quick to inform her that he was in fact a main Court Barrister who represented his clients regularly in The Old Bailey. He explained that the original agreement had been drafted by his minnows in the offices behind him but he had been involved in the ceremony of signatures since he was a close friend of Judge Fleming.

Arthur took the risk of outlining his problems with shareholders and banks trying to take control of the Gentleman’s Club that had been offered as security by his father, who he referred to as his uncle. Some key clients had declined to pay outstanding debts putting pressure on the Company and the main bank who provided overdraft facilities applied added pressure. Arthur was convinced these people were working together to take control of the Company using some tame suppliers to take legal action.

Arthur was concerned about the threats that had affected his uncles health and the valuation of the shares in the Club were a pittance compared with the true value. There was no way that Arthur was going to allow these crooks to steal his family crown jewel.

Mr Walker sighed and sat back in his chair and was deep in thought for a few moments. He was quick to offer advice and turned to Roberta to ask about her Aunts willingness to assist since she was the second largest shareholder. Roberta had no firm answer and had only just found out that in fact her Aunt had a business partnership with William Hudson and they’d had a child together.

Mr Walker then disclosed that William Hudson had made a will and declared that the shares passed to the child when she reached the age of 21 or married whichever was the earlier event. Adele and Robert looked at each other with expressions of disappointment since Aunt Roberta had told them that her daughter had died in childbirth and the father had also died whilst overseas. They were not married and neither Adele or Robert had any knowledge of what had happened to the child or what effect this had on the shareholding in the Club.

It appeared that Mr Walker knew more than he was prepared to pass on to either of them that was confirmed as the meeting drew to a close when he informed them that they would have to return with Aunt Roberta and he would then provide more information. Mr Walker then closed the meeting since he was due in court that afternoon and he needed time to prepare

Adele and Robert left the office and Robert aske to use the toilet whilst Adele thanked Mr Walker for his helpfulness and advice. She realised she needed help from Aunt Roberta and Robert as her niece Roberta was the best chance of finding a way to persuade her.

Robert found himself for the first time in a Ladies toilet and was faced with the difficulty of lifting her dress and undergarments that was not something to be hurried. It must have taken at least 15 minutes to carry out what would be a few minutes were he in normal attire for a young man. There was one advantage however since Adele had chance to call their cab from its parkin place so it was outside the front door as they left the premises.

Adele decided that they should head for Covent Garden to sit a while and take a light lunch whilst they reflected on what they’d been told. They found a good position where they could watch passers-by and listen to street music soaking up the atmosphere of one of London’s popular haunts.

After lunch Adele advised that they would take a trip on the river down to the Tower of London where their cab would be waiting. Robert was excited to get the chance to see this famous landmark and then return to Covent Garden where Adele had arranged tickets to a theatre in Drury Lane. This was to be Roberts chance to mingle with the best ladies in London and Adele was confident that this would be an unforgettable experience to stay in their memories.

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos