Tomboy-girl

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Tomboy-Girl
By Julie D Cole
thCAEKIM32_0.jpg

Synopsis of the story ‘Tomboy’.
The follow up to the film/story ‘ Tomboy’ where Laura is a young 10-year-old girl settling into her family's new home in the Paris suburbs. She meets Lisa, one of the neighborhood's children and introduces herself as Michael. With her androgynous look and boyish dress, it would be extremely difficult to discern that she is a female. Lisa then introduces Michael to the rest of the neighborhood children stating that "he" is the new kid in the apartment complex. It isn't until after a bath scene that the viewer finds out that Michael is female; the other children don't know the truth. At home, she is a girl and goes by Laura, but to all the neighborhood children she is a boy and goes by Michael. Summer leads to the children in the building playing together a lot and Michael attracts the attention of Lisa who ends up falling in love with her, unaware that Michael is female. After a fight between Michael and a boy in the apartment complex the children find out that Michael is female. After that, her whole charade seems to fall apart... Until of course the whole truth comes out.

The film was probably cut short. Surely the story was supposed to continue for a little longer at least. Maybe and the last scenes must have been mistakenly cut from the movie. Sadly it stopped short leaving some of us wondering. after the credits I sensed that there would be a little more and perhaps a twist at the end. Don’t all stories have happy endings?

.................................................................................

So here it is. The missing bit:-

Looking out from his/her window Michael was sad and couldn’t speak. He wanted to jump down and take Lisa in his strong arms and kiss her passionately as she had wanted him to do.

Lisa spoke first with a slight quiver in her voice. She fixed her eyes on his as she had so often done these last few weeks.

‘Why didn’t you tell me you weren’t a boy? ‘

‘I couldn't and as time passed by you never asked. I thought you were friends with the real me.’

‘But I liked you from the moment we first met. Soon we were friends, best friends and I wanted to be with you as much as I could. Best friends don’t have secrets. Couldn't you have given me a clue at least. I would have understood. Even my mum would have understood.'

‘I never told you I was a boy so you made your own mind up about me. I never lied to you. I’m sorry but I knew you thought I was a boy as soon as you spoke to me. It made me feel good. I didn’t argue because it is easier for boys than girls. I was more readily accepted by your friends and I prefer boys games. They let me join in at football as an equaly. It was fun. I like all the boy games and it was great to wrestle on equal terms. I beat most of them. Wrestling and football are much more physical than girl games. But you didn't join in with either.’

‘No because you let me fall in love with you. I enjoyed watching you and cheering when you scored goals. As we became closer I fell in love with you after we kissed. There was something special between us that I couldn't explain and I never wanted the first kiss to end.’

‘Neither did I. You made me feel different. Something inside me took over when we were together. I had no control. I liked to be your boyfriend. I didn't just want to play games I wanted to be the real me. I felt the others were jealous about our friendship especially since I was new around here. It seemed strange you didn't have one of them as a boyfriend so I was quick to step in.'

‘ But I took you to my special place where we kissed. I had to kiss you first since you seemed too shy. Then once you were confident you kissed me like a boy kisses his girl. I suppose it was the first time I ever felt like I did that day and all sorts of things went through my mind. I could sense my parents warning me to stop and saying they’d had enough.’

‘Strange. Why would they do that were they frightened we would undress each other and hve sex?’

‘No it’s not that. Sorry I can’t say. Not just now at least.’

‘But Lisa now you know we couldn’t have done anything. Maybe we could try again and still be best friends. If you don't want to accept me as I am then so be it. One day I will get my body adjusted.'

'Don't you dare. I couldn't forgive myself if you changed. Not for now at least until I get my mind sorted out. '

'OK stay calm. I guess I made a mess of things and shouldn’t have gone with you. I should have been content to be one of the guys and resisted your feminine charms. But you are so beautiful and you made me want to take care of you. I’d have done anything you asked.’

‘Michael I wouldn’t have let you go too far even if you tried. I would have had to stop you. ‘

‘Huh. I understand. Because of your parent’s instructions.’

‘No not at all.You are wrong to make assumptions.’

‘Is it because I wasn’t the same as other boys you’ve been with. I can’t help being like this.’

‘Michael please. Or should I call you Laura now.?'

'No it's Michael.'

'well Michael that’s not the reason. If you like we can go back to my place. It can be our place. I’m not angry with you but let me know when we can meet since I know you’re not allowed out.’

‘Who cares. Hang on I'll jump down. Look out I’m coming.'

'Michael no you'll hurt yourself don't. Please.'

'See it was easy. Sod my parents what do they know about my feelings. If I hadn't have had a fight with your Louis they'd not know. If your friend s dare say anything I’ll sock them again.I expect they are embarrassed that they let me be one of the boys and I beat them.’

‘ Michael no please leave them alone. Don’t get into more trouble at my expense. Please I caused this in the first place. No point you being made to stay in for a month. Then we can't meet at all.‘

‘No it’s too late I’m coming with you but this time you know the real me so don't be too disappointed. Come on let's go quickly before I'm missed.’

‘You look great in that sweatshirt.I like you in blue. Oh Michael this isn’t wise.’

‘Come on course it's wise. It won't take long since no blindfold this time and I know the way. By the way you look very beautiful today. I like your hair and you put on some make up. ‘

‘Yes I did it for you because I was so sorry for the trouble I’d caused. We’re still friends aren’t we?’

‘If you like but I’m not sure we can be more than friends. Mmmm Lisa I love you. Oh if only?’

‘Mmm Lisa if I was a real boy I’d be so hard right now and I would want to try. Blast damn and blast. Bugger, bugger, bugger.’

‘Shhh Michael just relax. It’s OK in fact it’s even better than I expected. ‘

“Oh Lisa I love you. Did you ever imagine falling in love with a girl who wants to be a boy?’

‘ Yes, but I daren’t even imagine it would ever be possible. ‘

‘Lisa, what are you doing. Wow what’s that? I wondered why you were uncomfortable. Where did that come from? Lisa,Lisa are you really a boy?’

‘Shh yes but I want to be a girl. Anyway since we love each other and we are a boy and a girl together let’s find out what all the fuss is about. ‘

'Mmmmmmm. Oh Michael. mmmmmm.'

……………………………………………………………..
Watch the film and see if I’m right that this is how it was meant to end.

Two wonderful young actresses. Sunny days in France with simple fun.

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tomboy and Ma Vie en Rose

Rhona McCloud's picture

I'm not sure, not having seen Tomboy , but that would make it with your addition to that 2011 French film (if I understand what you are doing) a mirror image sequel to the 1997 Belgian film Ma Vie en Rose
Click a title to see the trailer on YouTube.

Rhona McCloud

Both Good Films

Yes Tomboy was a French film and did leave us in the air at the end.
There was another French film I saw a few years ago about a family struggling because their son wanted to be a girl. He wore his undershorts backwards when he had to dress as a boy and his family tried hard to change him. Who knows? Somebody may recall the film.

Jules

On Netflix

"Tomboy" is on Netflix in French with English subtitles. And yes, at that age the gender lines are very blurred. It is an adorable movie.

Nice twist!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

That would definitely be an interesting twist ending. I Like!
I am a bit late commenting. I just had to go watch the movie first.
note: I found it on Hulu.

.

My own addition to the movie would be very a simple and modest yet make a world a of difference in the final feel. Just one more line of dialog and a final short scene.

~~~

Lisa: "So which would you rather be called?"

(close up shot of Michael): Michael smiles

{Optional final scene}: Lisa takes Michael hand, they turn way form the camera and slowly stroll off in to the woods as the camera slowly pulls back.

-END-

.

*spreading pixie dust*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

PS. Please excuse if my scene formatting is not quite right I have not read a script in a long time.