Changing Roles - Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

th1E5FMWIT.jpg

Changing Roles
By Julie Dawn Cole
Chapter 12

Bill seemed a lot more confident as he left and he smiled as he looked me in the eye. I was pleased for him and hoped Emily was satisfied that he was an honest employee.

Ms Latimer seemed to want to get back to report to her manager so she excused herself leaving Emily and I alone.

‘Well Julia we haven’t exactly followed procedure this morning but don’t worry I have the full support of my uncle. He put me in touch with a friend of his who is a private investigator. It is pretty clear these two have been milking the company and both have had some sizeable chunks of money in their bank accounts and had gifts of holidays’

‘Surely a private investigator can’t access people private bank accounts.’

‘I can only guess they are in the same lodge and it’s amazing what these people can find out.’

‘You mean these groups still operate?’
‘I wouldn’t know for sure since they are male dominated and I’m not likely to ever get invited to join.’

‘So how to prove it? Our solicitor, Louise Roberts, will need evidence and she can’t join the lodge either.’

‘I’ve already spoken to her and I told her everything the private investigator unearthed. She recommended to confront them face to face and let them take action against the company since it opens the door to a police investigation and charges against them and the customers who were involved.’

‘But what if they decide to just accept that they are suspended and stay silent?’

‘Without pay? Is that likely?’

‘We can get on with the business and we know the companies involved so we’ll focus on how best to deal with them when Pamela Parkinson joins us as CFO. She likes a challenge. I want you to meet her before she starts and also to set up a meeting with Louise tomorrow at her office.’

I left Emily making some urgent calls and was asked to make some coffee for both of us. I called in to see Sally on the way as I’d promised, and she seemed really calm and relaxed. She had a broad smile on her face and she winked. I knew that Steve had done his duty and she had had a good time. She said that she liked my new look that I’d completely forgotten all about having been occupied all morning in the meetings. I knew by her face that she’d had a late night and as she told me she felt that she needed to remain at her desk and stay as still as possible. Whether this was for comfort or to maximise the chance of pregnancy I didn’t have a clue. I hoped it was the latter since both would make great parents. She asked if I wouldn’t mind filling her cup on the way back to my office and I agreed with pleasure. I’d miss her if she did get pregnant but then I’d be sure to visit her and keep her as a friend whatever.

In the coffee room a number of girls had gathered since it was coffee break time. They went quiet as I entered but then carried on chatting. I seemed to be accepted as an equal rather than as their former boss as MD. I knew all of them by name and they were all dressed in the company uniform that looked smart but they didn’t seem happy to be wearing trousers rather than individual fashion outfits. Dianne Browne stepped forward who was now a secretary to Jenny who Emily had promoted.

‘Julian you look nice today. The outfit suits you but can’t you persuade Emily to relax the rules as the weather is turning. We much prefer lightweight skirts and dresses and we don’t want to suffer like the men do through the summer. You must have influence.’

All I could say was that I’d do my best but they felt that the rule change was more to do with my integrating rather than anything else so they were being punished unfairly.

I was happy with my outfit but I did agree that it was unfair. Maybe Emily didn’t think I could be persuaded to make the step to full female attire. I thought I was being stupid and over-thinking so I left and headed back. Sally was grateful for the top up and I wasn’t sure if Emily would stop talking long enough to take a sip. I’d removed a few cold cups in the short time I’d been her PA.

I took a walk to M&S at lunchtime to buy a sandwich for Emily and whilst I was in the store I had time to buy two more of the shirt/blouses I’d worn to the meeting with Rao. I looked at myself in the mirrors and I was definitely looking more feminine with make-up and with my hair down. The bra and inserts helped a lot. I was totally at ease in the womens department so took some time to look at the displays.

The afternoon soon passed and Emily agreed that I could leave early to visit my parents. I freshened up in her private bathroom with her permission and she wished me luck. I was glad to arrive at the care home early for a change and found mum and dad in the lounge area waiting for their early evening meal that was more like a late afternoon tea that we had when I was growing up.

I was a bit shocked when I approached mum because she didn’t recognise me at all..’Who are you? Where is Julian? I don’t want you to feed me. Julian does it.’

‘Mum, it’s me Julian. Don’t you recognise me? Come on let me sit with you a while and we’ll have something to eat soon. I’m early.’

‘I’m waiting for Julian so don’t come near me. I don’t want you to feed me. I’m fed up of nurses fussing over me and bossing me about. I’d rather feed myself. Go away.’
‘Mum it’s me don’t you recognise my voice. Look at me. I’m your son.’

‘Look young lady please go away. I want to go home and Julian is going to take me when he gets here. He promised. Where is dad. We will all go together.’

‘Mum come on just drink some tea and have a biscuit and I’ll go and find Julian for you. I promise. Just stay calm. He’s around here somewhere.’

It broke my heart and tears were running down my face as I made for the closest bathroom that was the ladies. I washed my face and dried it as best I could remove all traces of lipstick and make-up. I tied my hair back and removed my bra and the inserts. I looked more like myself and hopefully now mum would calm down. Luckily nobody came into the bathroom, and I left without anybody challenging me.

‘Ah Julian. Hug me please. I’ve been waiting all day. I need to come home. Please take me. I don’t know anybody, and a new girl just tried to tell me she would feed me my dinner. I want dinner at home. Where is dad? Can’t we all go together.

‘Mum we can’t. These people are looking after you until you are better since I’m at work all day.’

‘But who was that lady? I never met her before.’

‘Come on mum drink your tea and we’ll go meet dad in the dining room and see what’s for dinner. Maybe she was one of the care workers who will look after you when you go home so try to be nice to her.’

‘But I want you to look after me. Not a stranger.’

‘Mum just give her chance please. Everybody here is very nice, I’m sure she’s very nice. ‘

I managed to get mum to eat some of her soup and soon after my aunt joined us but they were like strangers that brought tears to my eyes. Aunt Maureen was much worse than mum and she didn’t recognise anybody. It was so sad to see my family deteriorating in front of me. I so wished I’d had brothers and sisters or cousins to talk with and help me to share the pain. How to decide what’s best for the three of them? It made me wonder if they’d been exposed to something earlier in their lives that contributed to the onset of dementia. I managed to get a little more sense out of dad who at least recognised me. It was like they’d become my children. I supposed that one day I might be in the same condition but who would visit me? I had no relationships and doubted I’d ever be married with a family.

I stayed for an hour or so but mum never stopped talking about the woman who had visited her and she eventually asked the supervisor who came to check on us. She had no idea what mum was so agitated about since she’d not been around when I arrived. I just said that mum was confused but she didn’t seem convinced. I decided it was probably safer to ensure that I didn’t make the same mistake again. I couldn’t risk causing a scene so whilst Emily was encouraging me to explore my feminine side I had to hold back and accept it would cause a problem if I didn’t take care.

As I left I called at the office to see the supervisor who had been talking to us as she requested. She introduced herself even though her name, Moira, was clearly displayed on her badge on her uniform asked me to sit down for a few minutes and explain again why mum had been so upset. I repeated that she had been confused and that nobody else had visited just me.
‘What about your sister or cousin? Could they have visited?’

‘I don’t have any siblings or cousins I’m afraid. Mum calmed down and I’m sure she’ll be fine.’
Then she insisted to show me a video clip of me arriving and walking from my car to the main lobby entrance.
‘Well, who is this then Julian? Would you perhaps like to explain?’
I had no choice but to admit that it was me. I walked in with small steps, and I did look more female than male. There was a short close-up of me with my hair down and my make-up was clearly visible.
‘Problem solved then Julian this is why your mum was confused. It is quite clear that this is how you presented when you arrived, and you have the same outfit. I don’t think it’s your twin, is it?’
‘No, it’s not it’s me. That’s how I dress for the office. We all wear uniforms.’
‘But I thought you were the managing director so surely nobody is insisting you dress like this.’
‘No, they aren’t. I’ve changed my job at work. We have a new CEO and the role of managing director is defunct now. I’m her PA to help her settle in.’
‘How strange. Anyway, that’s none of my business and neither is the way you dress as long as it doesn’t cause upset. It’s difficult enough keeping patients calm and your family have been well behaved to date. Do you intend dressing like this in a more feminine outfit for future visits? If so we need to convince your mum that this, is you and not a stranger. I can’t insist and neither can I ban you from visiting.’
‘Well, it might be difficult to convince mum that she saw the same person so I decided that it’s best for me to visit as I’ve always done. It’s not a problem.’

‘OK I’m glad to hear that. But you did look very nice as you arrived so it would be a shame if it caused a problem. We do have 2 nurses who are transgender, so I’m used to dealing with the issues they have from time to time. If I can help you anytime here is my card. Thanks for the explanation and if you need a place to change when you visit in future that can be arranged.’

I thanked her and left and at least she didn’t appear to be making an issue out of it. I supposed her offer was genuine and she’d seemed very nice.’

‘Back home I took off my shoes and sat down for a while to reflect on the day. I had a small bottle of wine in the fridge, so I poured myself a glass and checked my e-mails and messages. Then I searched on my computer for a spa that might be suitable for Emily and I and luckily, I found a nice hotel about 20 miles away that offered spa days that looked nice. They had special offers, at weekends so I made a reservation for a pamper day on Sunday for the two of us. The pamper day experience included massages, facial, manicure and pedicure and use of the hot tubs and swimming pool. It didn’t say anything about segregation on male and female guests, so I just took it as read. Lunch and drinks were provided.

I made myself a snack and took a shower before watching some tv until my eyes started to close. The news headlines were depressing so I’d switched channels to watch First Dates that was a programme about people meeting up for a first date with the programme staff selecting compatible people from the list of applicants. I’d never really dated so I realised that I wasn’t unique after all and if push came to shove, I could always write in and see what happened. Only one of the pairings seemed to work out and 3 pairs had no connection and just said goodnight after the meal. It seemed like the programme used two restaurants, one in London and the other in Manchester.

The next day at work went much as planned. Emily asked me to set up two customer meetings from the short list of good customers I’d produced and then to prepare for the meeting with Louise Roberts in the afternoon. I did seem to be surrounded by women in everything I was doing since Emily arrived but having said that Louise was a very proficient lawyer who I’d had dealings with over the phone on a number of occasions.

When Louise arrived, I went down to reception to collect her. She looked me up and down and didn’t say anything, but she did at least smile before shaking my hand.

‘Julie I’m sorry but I thought you were the Managing Director, and your name was Julian. I feel so embarrassed.’

‘No don’t apologise my name is Julian and we spoke several times when I was indeed the MD. Since Emily Waterton took over from George as CEO, I’ve taken up the position of her PA.’
‘That’s a surprise Julian. I have talked with Emily, but she told me that she was a director working in confidence for the Company Chairman and she showed me a letter of authorisation. I’d have assumed that she was your PA since she is younger than you. I thought you were being groomed to take over as CEO.

‘I can’t complain since Emily has been very fair to me and she seems very street wise and confident in her ability. It rubs off.’

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Julie is taking hold

Dee Sylvan's picture

I love the way that Julie is now feeling comfortable in her own skin. She is turning into the perfect PA for Emily. It's probably better if Julie and Emily remain as girlfriends, but who knows about the benefits? Julie now knows how to present to her poor family. I am looking forward to the day at the spa for the girls. It sounds like Julian may need to make an appearance at one of the boys clubs to further the investigation into the crooked employees. Can't wait for more, Jules.

DeeDee

Tough to watch

Jamie Lee's picture

With the other changes to adjust too, it has to make it even harder for Julie to watch her family sink deeper into dementia. Knowing at some point, they won't even recognize Julian when he visits. And they become even more confused and easily upset.

Wonder how long it takes before Emily picks up on Julie being upset over the mental failing of her family?

Others have feelings too.

Thank you

Andrea Lena's picture

I'm loving this!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

What they said

Nyssa's picture

I pretty much ditto the other commenters. I think Jamie Lee's question about Emily is a big one for me as well. However, I do wonder if we were supposed to tease something significant out of Louise's last comment? If so, I missed it.

But I am really enjoying how the story and the characters are developing.

Distressing

joannebarbarella's picture

Julie didn't realise that her changed appearance would lead her mother to question who she was. It seems to me that Julie is becoming the dominant personality in her personal relationships.

My guess is that it's only a matter of time before Julian becomes Julie.

It is sad about her parents,

Unfortunately it is what it is. One of the mantras I live by.

My senior parents still deadname me

Julia Miller's picture

and call me their son, instead of their daughter. I don't expect this to ever change, though I rarely call them anymore and live thousands of miles away now.

Julian could talk to his mother, and change his appearence

Julia Miller's picture

in front of her. I don't know if this would work or not, and it could go sideways.

Julian still received a raw deal at work, he was after all, in line to become the CEO and now he is dressing as a woman and is the new CEO's PA. The customer named Louise did notice all of this, and she probably feels he got a raw deal now, even though he told her that he is okay with things now. I don't know how this will eventually play out.

As for the dress code, I would think that Julia will find if she mentions this to Emily, that she will have to start wearing summer dresses as well if Emily changes the policy.

Not at all

I'm pleased with the reaction I received to this story so I decided to develop it from the original outline that was based on some personal experience. Rao is real and so is his behavior.

Jules