Dress Up Day - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Dress Up Day- Chapter 5
By
Julie D Cole
dancing shoesjpg.jpg

‘Ah but have you worn heels before Josie Alexander?’

‘Well I guess I have but….’
……………………………………………….

‘But what?’

I had to react quickly ‘ Erm but not for dancing.’

‘Oh so not so sure. Out of interest just when did you wear them then?’

Amy chipped in before I had chance to reply. ‘With me Mrs Alexander. We used to play dress-up. Sometimes we’d be sisters and we both used to wear high heeled shoes. Not always though. Sometimes we were girls and sometimes we were boys. But Joseph always looked more like a girl than if I tried to look like a boy. When we were both girls I taught him how to walk in shoes with high heels. I had to teach him to take small steps and he soon got the hang of it.’

‘When was this and where did you get the shoes?’

‘ I suppose we’d only be about 10 years old and we always used mums shoes until she told us off one day for using her best ones. We were outside in the driveway and Joseph tripped up and broke the heel. But that wasn’t all. Do you remember when he came home with plasters on his knees and a bump on his head and he had to go to hospital for a check up? That was the day his heel broke and if he hadn’t been hurt we’d have been dobbed to you by my mom.’

‘Oh my and I thought you’d been hurt by tripping over your shoelaces playing basketball. And Liz never even mentioned it even at the hospital.’.

‘well she knew we’d been playing dress up and at first mum didn’t realize it was Joseph. She thought it was Katie Fisher when she came outside until she looked more closely. Joseph really did look like a girl that day so mum was concerned in case you’d be upset. So we had to help him to change quickly and so that was another problem. We ruined one of mums skirts with the blood from his grazed knees.’

‘I don’t know you two, it was a stupid thing to hide it.’

I know and mum was furious but to this day she didn’t want to say anything to you because she knew Joseph was worried about what you might say.’

‘I am here you two, if you don’t mind…. I didn’t say anything at the time because I was too embarrassed and I kept clear of Amys mum for ages after that in case she said something.’

Amy chipped in again bless her. ‘Well Mrs Alexander I had to stay in for a week after that as punishment but at least we didn’t split on him.’

‘So why the fuss when I encouraged you to dress as Josie if you’d enjoyed yourself playing with Amy? You led me to believe you didn’t like to dress up today and all the time you’d done it before. No wonder you took to the boots so easily.’

‘Yes mom but when we were playing at Amys house I only ever wore shoes two sizes too big and I was just pretending. I never really walked far or danced in womens shoes until today. My feet are killing me.’

Mum thought about what I’d said and then just smiled. ‘Well now you know what we girls go through. It’s not so easy to be a young lady is it? Anyway you can’t stop now after so much success. Now you’ve got shoes that are more appropriate for dancing you might find your feet are OK. Heels certainly bring out the shape of your legs. Just walk back and forward and let me see if you will be safe in them. We don’t want you breaking an ankle do we?’

‘ Mum don’t fuss please. I’m OK and it’s not that difficult surely. I think that at least the shoes fit better than your old boots did and are narrower so they fit the shape of my feet.’

‘Yes just look at you. I’m so glad you agreed to dress up today and told me what really happened . I think you look so cute and today I feel like I have a daughter as well as a son. I hope this isn’t the last time you will let Josie come out. What do you think Amy?’

‘I agree. It’s great to see Josie enjoying herself and whilst I like him I think I’d like to be friends with Josie too. I need a new best friend since my friend Jenna has moved away. Nobody to hang around with at home in the evenings and so no chance to flirt with the boys.’

I wasn’t sure about this so I had to say something. ‘Come on you two don’t turn this into a permanent arrangement. Anyway what do you want to chase boys for when I live next door? It’s embarrassing to hear So I’m OK as a girlfriend but not under consideration as a boyfriend. What’s wrong with me as a boy? Am I a freak or something?’

‘Nothing wrong at all. It’s just you seem more natural as a girl and you have such nice features. I wish I had a nice nose like you and your mum instead of looking like my dad. He is gross and one day I’m going to have an operation to sort it out.’

‘Come on Amy you are very attractive and you have a great figure. Look at me. Nothing on top and far too skinny for a boy of my age. I look a right weed at school and I can’t build up my muscles whatever I do.’

‘You are a bit on the fragile side and maybe it makes you a bit shy around girls. I always said you were cute when you used to dress up with me. You see now that your figure is more suited to girl clothes than boy clothes. Maybe you should let me help you re-style yourself and be more inventive or unique. How about neutral sex?’

‘Neutral sex? Does that mean I’m neutered sex? ‘

‘No it doesn’t but that depends on you.’ It just means neither sex not no sex.’

I whispered to Amy to avoid embarrassment in front of mum who was distracted for a moment as Mr Davies was saying a few words of thanks. ‘Thank goodness because I’d hate to miss out if the chance ever came my way.’

When mum landed back I carried on ‘ Anyway I intend trying to bulk up even if I have to take medication. I don’t like to be called names at school and I long for the day I can punch the bullies on the nose.’

It made Amy smile because she knew that I was just dreaming and she also quietly said that I’d never be bullied if I dressed like this for school. The guys would be too busy trying to get into my panties.

‘You didn’t tell anybody at school about our days dressing up did you?’’

‘Well I suppose I did tell a few close friends but I swore them all to secrecy. It’s no big deal and most of them suspected something was different about you anyway.’

‘All? How many is all? What do you mean by most of them? Did you tell half the school?’

‘No I only told two or three and you already know them. That’s why they chat to you so easily. They treat you as one of us rather than as one of the guys trying it on. Didn’t you realize?’

‘Amy. I feel so awkward now. They are all here I suppose and I bet they are all laughing at me and thinking I’m liking this.’

‘Well to be honest they are all made up and quite jealous. Besides you can’t say you haven’t enjoyed yourself today. You have been completely at home and as the day wore on it was noticeable how comfortable you became. It’s not fair that boys can’t dress as they like. I think you’d really like to have the choice. Wouldn’t you?’

‘No I would get beaten up and become the butt of all the jokes.’

‘OK that’s enough. Talking of butts let’s go show ours off a bit. Come on Josie let’s get back to the dance floor. Just look at the queue that’s building up for a dance with you.’

‘Oh No!’

‘HaHa it’s not a queue to dance with you it’s the queue to vote for the best dress up and since you look like one of the girls rather than someone in a costume I suppose nobody thinks you bothered to dress up. I suppose at best you looked like a cow girl. We should have got you a hat and a gun.’ Maybe we should have persuaded you to wear something a little more provocative and given you bigger boobs.’

‘Come on before you get any ideas. These are big enough thank you very much and it’s a good job they aren’t real and I can hang them up when I get home. Let’s get the rest of the dances out of the way as quickly as possible and then I can get out of these clothes and back into trousers.’

Amy led the way as we crossed to the table we’d been using. Some smart Alec and made a sign ‘The Dancing Queen’ table and placed the diary with the list of dancers who paid for a dance and there was a red circle around Alwyn and a message. “Keep practicing and when I think you are ready for the next stage I’ll be back!!!” He had crossed out all the other names and as I tried to hide the message Amy pushed me away.’

‘My God Josie this is getting hot. I’m quite jealous and you might need to let him down gently if he reappears and pass him over to me. I could deal with him if he is hot for it. Just as a favour of course’

I hit her with my purse. ‘cheeky monkey he’s mine and you can only have him when I’m finished.’

We were still laughing when up popped the next guy on the list. It was Martyn Forrester. Fozzie as he is known. All legs and arms so he looked like he was going to be a challenge.

‘Hi Josie. I’m Martyn. Can I have the pleasure of the next dance?’

OMG a gentleman. Was this a set up? Did he know? I looked around but he seemed serious as he took my hand. I managed to respond ‘Have you paid?’

‘Yes I paid earlier.’

‘OK the just the one if you don’t mind and please mind my toes since I only have the one set.’

Oh I made him smile. I supposed he was OK but he was a lot taller than me even in my heels. My oh my it made me feel like I must be a dwarf and if I’d been in a dance queue with a girl like me I might run away.

He did OK afterall. At least no sqashed toes and no bruised shins but not a patch on Alwyn. Now I realized I was not such a bad dancer and I could follow a good partner much better than I could lead. But I was not so good with a guy with two left feet or who I needed to lead. I was finding myself wanting to lead rather than follow with Martyn like I had with others. All except Alwyn who had taken complete control. I guess that had been a memorable experience for me and maybe he was still around somewhere.But maybe I should get rid of such thoughts and dance with Amy to hold on to my masculinity.

She did another mock applause as I returned to base. ‘Well you certainly took to the shoes like a duck to water. Not a wobble in sight and they do wonders for your wiggle.Pity you weren’t wearing them earlier when you were dancing with Allie. Then we would have seen his body movements.’

‘OK OK calm down. I didn’t attract him all that much. I didn’t did I?’

‘Don’t worry sister I’m certain he’ll be back for more. I might just give him a call and let him know you have the hots for him.’

‘Don’t you dare. He didn’t give you his card as well did he?’

‘Well as a matter of fact I am on a commission if I can arrange something. His out of one of the dark corners looking for another dance and flexing his muscle again. Anyway the number is easy to remember so no need to enter it in my mobile.’

‘I don’t believe you. It’s another tease.’

‘Check the card he gave you then. Next time you look at the key pad on a house phone just press the letters ‘BIGBOOBS’. We can check if you like. I know that I am right. He told me.’

‘I don’t know. Are you sure? Did he really?’

‘Lets go to the bathroom if you don’t believe me and check the desk phone in the hall.’

‘OK OK I believe you but don’t you dare call him. What if he does turn up again I can’t let him see me again like this.’

‘Well he sure ain’t going to dance with you if you change and you would look a bit silly smooching together.’

‘Amy please. This was a one off and after the last dance I have to let everybody know it’s me.’

If you say so but why spoil it for the guys who enjoyed dancing with you? Why spoil it for your mom and most of all why spoil it for yourself. You’ve enjoyed today I can tell. How about we dance come on it’s Girls just wanna have fun.’

Suddenly I was sucked into a group of girls dressed as cheerleaders. They all looked fit and it was difficult to see if their curves were natural or packed out a bit. I was trying to hang onto Amy who was pushed aside and had to let go. I was made to join in and I didn’t have much choice in the matter.’

I didn’t know where to look. It felt strange to be dancing in a group like this but at the same time it was fun. There was a lot of laughter and more and more people came onto the dance floor.

The lights dimmed and Amy seemed to be moving further away from me as first one and then another of the cheerleaders pulled me to dance with them. They must know or why the attraction?

Amy was waving and then she pointed towards the stage and I looked across. Mum and Mr Davies were dancing together. Mum was doing OK and she looked happy. Maybe some good was going to come out of the day. It wasn’t as embarrassing as I thought it might be.

I shut my eyes and let my body move to the music. Dancing in heels was having a nice effect. But I overbalanced since I was nudged on the crowded floor. I reached out and grabbed onto an arm but I was still falling. Before I hit the ground someone grabbed me and I held on for dear life to avoid showing tomorrows washing. Then I struggled to my feet saying thanks and turned around. As I looked into the face of my savior I recognized the broad smile.

‘I think you need a little more practice Josie. Can I take you somewhere where there is more space to dance?’

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well Amy showed she is a friend

and Josie is enjoying it. Have a feeling that if she came to school like the rest of the year she would be excepted rather than beaten.

Thank you for a great chapter and some very good entertainment

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

rescued ?

hmmm. how will she deal with this ?

DogSig.png

What I'm so grateful for...

Andrea Lena's picture

...is not knowing or wanting to know until next time just who helped her up. Your timing is sufficient for me because your story is terrific! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

You know me

I just try to reach a point where I can leave readers to play a while with their own ideas and I guess I can too.
Hugs

Jules

Dress Up Is a Fun Time

Julie makes the story fun, though Josie tries to disguise the fun time she's having. Yes there might sometime be the wish to look better as a guy. But if that is not going to come, learning to enjoy being Josie is a good option.

Trying to guess who knows and suspecting there are more than you dare to wish. Don't lose the reality, one way or another people enjoy being with you Josie.

Don't fret about what might happen, Tonight, tonight enjoy yourself tonight.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Just wondering

exactly how many of the student body and faculty know and accept Josie? Are there any bullies theere who will try to hurt Josie?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You're Just Another Tease

joannebarbarella's picture

Who likes leaving us with hanging cliffs. Still, I'll forgive you because you entertain us along the way,

Joanne

Oh Jules!

Josie's having fun now, but what happens when momma doesn't give her her pants back? (LOL). Hurry back with more hon! (Hugs) Taarpa

Amy's mum ?

In chapter 1 it seemed that Liz was Amy's mum; now she seems to be Rose. Or is Liz the other next-door neighbour ?

Sorry to put this in the comments, but I can't find a way to send a private message.

Oops

You caught me out. I could have said it was the other neighbour or that Liz was Amys sister but since it is you I know you will forgive my error.
I will edit this chapter. In this story Rosemary [Rosie] is meant to be the name of Josephs [Josies] mum.

Jules