Another Side of My Life - Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

kim.jpg

Another Side of My Life
Chapter 9
By Julie D Cole

Jack prepared the drinks whilst I opened some potato chips to place on the tray with some serviettes. I was glad I wasn’t joining them for dinner to keep at arms-length from Laura. She didn’t look at me as I delivered the drinks even though the others chatted and laughed about events of the afternoon.

They’d arranged for the meal reservation to be delayed until 9pm that was a bit late for me so I was happy to stay helping Jack. The girls intended having a drinking session before they left the bar and it seemed that is was Laura who was encouraging the others. Sarah was already struggling to keep pace so I asked Jack to dilute her drinks. I almost changed my mind to go with them to stop her being bullied into trying to save face and drinking for the sake of it. I hoped Debbie would take control and keep them on best behavior.

The girls in the office are just as bad when they get together and sometimes they’ve dragged me along despite my resistance and all my excuses to decline. So I hoped these girls were more restrained. I’m not sure I could have fitted in anyway since they were all wearing the shortest of skirts to display maximum thigh. I could never have avoided displaying everything with my lack of experience. Not that any of them seemed too worried. Jack was right about Laura. She wasn’t likely to be knocked over easily.

Trust Laura to delight on me waiting table and running backwards and forwards with their drinks and then more ice, more lemon and more potato chips. No wonder she wasn’t Jacks type. I was sure her aim was to keep Jack and I apart to avoid us chatting. I managed fine since I’d changed out of my heels and flats were more comfortable for this job even though Jack said he preferred me in heels because I was then at eye level.

The bar seemed a lot quieter once they’d left but still busy enough to keep us going and tips coming in. I had a few nice chats with customers who commented on my efficient service so I was feeling proud of myself. One kind older gentleman even said Jack should look after me and give me a raise. He responded by saying I was just a trainee, but that I’d picked things up quickly. It didn’t deserve a comment and when I saw him smiling I just stuck out my tongue.

Spending time with Jack in the bar wasn’t like working at all. He seemed like he enjoyed my company as much as I was enjoying his. I couldn’t imagine him ever being depressed or falling out with his shadow. He was the type of guy I would have liked to have as a best friend at home. How come he was single? He made me feel like I wanted to move down to London and stay like this. That was not going to happen but I could dream couldn’t I?

There was some brief contact between us from time to time as the evening passed and each time it felt like it lasted much longer than it did. He was a touchy feely sort of a person but not in a bad way, so I didn’t feel embarrassed or even in danger of him suspecting anything if he came up close. I didn’t have large rough hands so I didn’t have to hide them or pull away when he led me down to the end of the bar to show me where he kept fresh packs of napkins.

It seemed no time at all before I heard the chatter and laughter of the girls arriving back from dinner. There were two young men with them and Laura and Jane seemed to be dragging them into the bar for a nightcap. Jack tried to calm them down a bit since there were still a few hotel guests enjoying a drink before bed. Laura looked as if she’d won the lottery as she introduced her new beau to Jack, totally ignoring me of course. At least Sarah, Maggie and Debbie looked in control of themselves and they waved me over to order some drinks. They decided to sit apart from the two couples.

I organised their drinks quickly before responding to Lauras crooked finger. ‘Yes Ma’am can I take your order?’

‘This is Jacks new bitch guys. She can twist him around her little finger so I reckon he’s on a promise like you guys.’

I ignored her and just asked what they wanted to order from the bar and explained it was last orders at 11-30pm except for residents.

‘They are residents tonight girl in our room. They missed their train so we are going to top and tail. Should be fun. We might take a bottle of something to our room to keep us company.’

‘Whatever but I’m not sure you’ll get past the front desk with two guests in tow.’

‘Leave that to us missy. We might see you at breakfast. You enjoy yourself snuggled up with Sarah. Unless Jack is in the middle.’

Jack was in earshot so he came around the bar and quietly told Laura to behave herself or no drinks and they had to leave. They stayed half an hour and disappeared after paying their bill.

Maggie was annoyed and said this was the last time she’d invite Laura along and Jane should no better. Sarah was a little upset and hoped I would take no notice of what Laura said. I sat on a stool and held her hand and said not to worry since it was alcohol talk.

At 11-30 the three of them decided to head upstairs and Jack insisted he would finish clearing up and look after the other guests. He wouldn’t accept my offer to stay and undid my apron and removed it.

‘I’ll get the night porter to take your case and bags up. He’s a nice guy. You rest those little toes for tomorrow. Message me when you’ve had breakfast. Thanks for doing a great job again.’

I caught up with the girls before they reached the lift and Sarah was as chatty as I’d seen her all day. She had really enjoyed herself and it was apparent from the ride up in the lift and the mass of information she relayed to us that she didn’t go out much at home. She worked for a supermarket chain in their financial office so she tended to be locked away for security. Not much chance for work relationships since she didn’t have chance to interact with male staff for chance of romance.

By the time Sarah and I opened the door to our room she had finished her chatter obviously respecting other residents. She opened the door and headed straight for the bathroom closing the door behind her. I hoped she wasn’t going to be ill. I drew the curtains and sat on the end of the bed looking at myself in the large mirror over the fitted unit that ran the length of the room. I still looked ok even if I was a bit nervous. How to keep my privacy? I would have to change in the bathroom and wear my silk dressing gown. For safety I decided to sleep in my bra,

My bags were delivered and placed on my side of the bed. I removed what I needed and was pleased that Sarah wasn’t ill. I boiled the kettle to make a drink and then changed removing my make-up and checked for signs of beard growth. I’d be OK overnight but I need to be first to the bathroom when we woke up.

I laid on the bed and switched on the tv to see if there was anything on to send us to sleep. Sarah had made tea and then she shocked me by undressing at the side of the bed with her back towards me. She was slim with a much better figure than I expected with milky white skin and she let her blond hair fall down her back. She wanted to take a shower before bed and she put on one of the soft dressing gowns laid on her side of the bed. I tried to look away but it was difficult. Sarah wasn’t as shy as I thought, certainly not in front of other women. What was I thinking?

I felt guilty for not showering but the risk was too high. At least I’d cleaned my teeth.

I feigned tiredness and snuggled under the duvet before Sarah came out of the bathroom after switching off the tv and my bedside lamp.

Sarah was wearing a shortie nightdress and matching panties and she did a little twirl as she passed me to her side of the bed. She deserved a nice boyfriend and I hoped that day would come soon for her sake. I wasn’t sure if she’d be my type and based on events taking place here in London I was beginning to think I may never be the same again.

Sarah said goodnight and turned off her bedside light. I felt she was feeling a bit envious of her two friends going head to tail in their room. I was nervous and stayed as still as possible hoping she would soon fall asleep. I turned onto my side facing the bathroom wall and thought about what I needed to do to find the hotel I’d supposed to have been staying in. With a no show my credit card would be charged. Then I realised I’d lost it. That might have solved the problem so I could at least sleep more easily.

I closed my eyes and reflected on my 2 days. What an experience so far arriving full of excitement and anticipating a quiet time to myself yet I’d had no time to myself at all. Here I was inches away from a complete stranger and too scared to move.

I must have drifted off to sleep quickly and been a lot more tired than I thought. When I opened my eyes I could see daylight around the curtain edges. Then I realised I was not alone and I felt a warm body against me. Sarah had snuggled up closely and her arm was wrapped around my waist. I panicked and checked to ensure my nightdress was covering my bits and that my inserts were still intact. If anything had happened then I didn’t know much about it.

I moved her arm away hoping I didn’t wake her but she just seemed to snuggle up closer and I could feel her breasts in my back. She gave a small sigh so she was obviously stirring. I needed the bathroom to relieve myself and I could sense my morning stiffness inside my panties. At least he wasn’t a big boy nor was he very active.

Sarah didn’t seem to want to wake up so I managed to get out of bed without waking her. She turned over onto her other side so I took the chance to pick up my gown from the floor and put it on. It was still very subdued light due to the heavy curtains so I was able to reach the bathroom and close the door without further disturbance. What a relief in more ways than one.
I quickly showered and dried myself wrapping the large white towel around my body. It almost reached the floor. I quickly removed the early shoots of hair from my chin and tidied my hair. It really needed washing so maybe a wash and style would be on my agenda for the day before we went to the theatre. Always assuming Jane and Laura were in a fit state and nobody had driven a stake through Laura’s heart.

I really wanted to put make up on to face Sarah but what girl does that at 7am in a morning. I had needed a clean bra and panties from my suitcase so I hoped that I could get them before Sarah woke up. Luckily she was still sleeping despite me having made a noise running the shower. I guess she wasn’t used to alcohol. I popped in my inserts and fastened the robe. No point getting dressed until after I’d put on my face so I washed our mugs and boiled the kettle to make tea.

The mug of tea was just what was needed to stir Sarah from her slumber and she managed a good morning and sat up as I placed it beside her with a shortbread biscuit. I partially opened the curtains.

‘Hi Julie, I hope I didn’t disturb you last night. The alcohol lay heavy in my tummy so I needed the loo. Then I opened the fridge and drank the two bottles of water.’

‘No I never heard a thing and I was obviously whacked out with being on my feet most of the day.’

‘Well you look refreshed. You have colour in your cheeks that is more than I have. Just look at me I need a hot shower or a bath to help me recover.’

‘It’s a nice deep bath and we are not in a hurry. I can’t see Laura and Jane making breakfast. They might prefer something else. Any messages from Debbie or Maggie.’

‘No, I suggested we meet at 8-30 to 9am for breakfast so we don’t waste the day.’

‘Fine by me and thanks for the tea and the biscuit. You are so sweet.’

‘I guess I try my best. My mum trained me well.’

‘Have you heard from your fiancé by the way?’

‘No not at all. I should contact him really to let him know I’m OK. Mum might have told him about me being robbed.’

‘Have you had an argument or something. Sorry I don’t mean to pry.’

Of course Chris was just a male friend I’d used as an excuse to Jack so I’d obviously given the impression we weren’t speaking. What girl would take a vacation to London on her own and leave her fiancé at home?’

‘So what about Jack? You seem well suited. He seems like a good catch to me.’

‘Yes what about Jack? He is great fun and he was my knight in shining armour. I like him and maybe in another time and another place I could get to know him better but it’s a bit complicated.’

‘Well no use consulting me. I am no expert on men like you.’

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos