Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 716.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 716
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“I’m bored,” said Trish looking out of the window at the teeming rain.

“So’m I,” Livvie added, “let’s ask Mummy if we can play on the computer?”

I shuddered as I overheard their conversation. My laptop was on its last legs and I needed a new one. If I found the time to buy one, I’d still need to transfer all sorts of stuff across to it. I fancied a Macintosh, but wasn’t sure how easily I’d be able to swap data on it. Once that was done, they could play with my computer.

“Mummy, can we play on the computer?” asked Livvie walking into the kitchen where I was doing some ironing.

“Not at the moment,” I carried on pressing Meem’s dress.

“Why not?”

I hoped we wouldn’t get into one of these power play arguments, but it looked like we were. “Because I need it myself, and I can’t afford for you lot to lose any of my data.”

“I promise we won’t.”

“Livvie, it isn’t that I don’t want you to have access to a computer, but I can’t allow you to use Grampa’s one nor mine for the moment.”

“Can we buy one, can we spend some of my money from Daddy’s will?” It was something I hadn’t thought of. I finished ironing the dress and went and looked up the phone number. I came back smiling from the phone call.

“Livvie, there is apparently a computer amongst your father’s belongings which they think is nearly new and they will arrange to have sent down by courier for tomorrow.”

“So I have to wait, that’s not fair.”

“If they’d allowed you to spend money, it might have taken a few days to get one.”

“Why can’t we go to the shop and buy one?”

“Because we don’t need to, there is one coming tomorrow at sometime, so you’ll have to be patient. Remember patience is a virtue.”

“’S’not fair.”

“I’m still bored,” sighed Trish again.

“I know, we’ll play a game, shall we?”

“Yes please, Mummy,” said Trish.

“Right, let’s pretend this is a hotel and you three are chamber maids.”

“What’s a chamber maid?”

“Like a chamber pot only with fewer brains,” said Stella as she walked past.

“What’s a chamber pot?”

One of these days, I shall strangle Stella – slowly. “Chamber maids are the ladies who clean and tidy hotel rooms for the guests.”

“Can’t I be the lady on the desk, Mummy?” asked Trish.

“No, because this is a game with a prize.”

“What’s the prize, Mummy?” asked Livvie.

“An ice cream after lunch, which only the winner will get.”

“I wanna ‘n’ice cream,” called Meems coming out behind the other two.

“Right, put on one of these aprons,” I gave one to each of them. “Now, the competition is to see if you can tidy your room better than the others. I’ll come up and judge them before lunch and the winner gets the ice cream.”

“C’mon,” called Trish and belted up the stairs, closely followed by Livvie and Meems.

“That is child exploitation, turning slavery into a competition.”

“Go and feed your child before I make you tidy your room.”

“You and who else’s army?” she teased. The phone rang and we both jumped. Stella went to answer it. “I don’t know, I’ll see if she wants to talk to you.”

“Who’s that?” I hissed to her.

“Dr Rose,” she hissed back.

“Tell him I can’t help any more of his kids, I’m sorry.”

“She said she can’t help any more of your children, she’s exhausted … what?...Oh my God … okay, I’ll get her.” She passed me the phone. “It’s not about his patients it’s about you.”

“What are you on about?” I took the handset with a piece of pique. “Yes, Sam?”

“Have you seen the local paper?”

“No, I take the Guardian, why?”

“The front page story, someone has blabbed.” I felt myself go cold, has someone revealed my history? Then the realisation hit me, that’s old news, the hospital is the new stuff. “You still there, Cathy?”

“Yes, blabbed about what?”

“Your miracles.”

“Oh shit!”

“They don’t know who it is yet, but that is likely to be only a matter of time.”

“I knew I shouldn’t have trusted those two.”

“It wasn’t them, it’s someone else. I’ve spoken to them and they haven’t spoken to any papers, it has to be someone else.”

“Yeah, but if they spoke to friends or family, one of them could be the informant.” I always knew it would be a risk but had hoped they would understand.

“I’ll speak to them again, they have promised not to say anything.”

Promises are very ephemeral things, and like mayflies, tend to have short life spans once money becomes mentioned. Many of us would sell our friends and family if the amount was big enough. I hoped I wouldn’t be one of them.

“Thanks for the warning, Sam. That was going to be the last one, it definitely is now, tell them they’ve cooked the golden goose.”

“I’m sorry, Cathy, I really am. We’ve put it out around the hospital that anyone who mentions anything about this will be facing a disciplinary for breach of confidentiality, which is not only a dismissible offence, it could result in a criminal prosecution and subsequent striking off any professional register the offender might belong to, such as nursing or physio.”

“Stable door, Sam.”

“I know, but I’m trying to stop any further leaks, a bit like the boy with his fingers in the dyke.”

“I wouldn’t have thought any self respecting dyke would allow a male child anywhere near them.”

“What?” he paused for a moment, “Oh yeah, very funny, Cathy, I’ve got to go. Maybe we can do dinner one evening.”

“Did Charlie survive?”

“Survive, he is positively thriving.”

“Good, I’m glad.” I put down the phone, I suppose I need to prepare for a siege again. I get so tired of all this, so bloody tired…

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

Give a cat a bad name and vote for him - you know it makes sense!

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We knew it was coming

now Cathy just has to come up with a good story. (or maybe she can go to Scotland and stay in the castle for a while.

So Livvie

is going to get a computer...Wonder if when she goes looking for more Gaby stories she'll come across BC/TS?...And if she does what will Trish make of it...Maybe Cathy had better get NetNanny on it before she hands it over!!!

Kirri

You Had To Know It Was A Matter Of Time

jengrl's picture

Well Sam just confirmed Cathy's worst fears. It was a matter of time before someone let their mouth get the better of them. The Press will descend on Tom's house before long. They always manage to find people more successfully than the police do. I think that Cathy might think about going to the family fortress in Scotland. Henry's security team will keep the Riff Raff away.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

This is certainly no

This is certainly no surprise. If the press finds Cathy she needs to convince them that it's a hoax or something. She's been tired an awful lot lately, I hope that's not sinister foreshadowing... Or the kids are just driving her crazy! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Yep somebody has snitched,

dropped a dime, ratted on, rumbled, told on, compromised, blew the whistle, outted, sold out - Cathy. Not to mention sold her up the river.

Run for the hills Cathy. Scotland is very nice this time of year.

Kim

Kimmie, you forgot…

…about letting the cat out of the bag. We don't want to upset Bonzi, do we?

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Well

.... I always said I would take Bonzi in at a drop of a hat :).

So come on over Bonzi and do your worst ! ^_^

Kim

Now, They Need Security, The Best

Would be that lady Russian that let Cathy go.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good idea

Although she may go a bit overboard.

Disinformation

Flood the newspaper with hoaxes -- reasonable-sounding eyewitness stories, speculations, wild stories about rubbing the belly of the Buddha statue, and the like. Give several similar descriptions (that don't match Cathy,) and make sure that they are called in from a variety of locations. I'm sure Henry can help with that.

Finally, if they manage to wade through all the garbage and track Cathy down, she can just laugh at them and hang up.

Problem solved.

Ray

So now it starts. Poor

So now it starts. Poor Cathy, and just when she seemed to be getting everything back on track. Will interesting to see who "blew the whistle". Janice Lynn

Eh?

You said: "Give a cat a bad name and vote for him - you know it makes sense!" Uh, no it doesn't. This must be some of that esoteric Britspeak, eh? First of all, I don't think Bonzi is a bad name -- unusual, perhaps, but certainly not bad. Secondly, I don't know how to vote for him -- only for the story. So, thirdly, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. But then, I'm just an elderly North American in her dotage so whadda ya expect, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

blue light

actually - turn it around & hold a press conference. have the tabloids prove Cathy did something, other than being in a hospital visiting sick children she BY CHANCE came across by happenstance. Then sue the hell out of any one publishing story for libel, cause no one can prove she actually did cause the healings. Remember this a hospital with lots of medical professionals doing their best to make people well. It was only CHANCE she was visiting anyone that had these so called miracles. Cant think of one scientific way it could be proved. ROFL

Find the leak

plug the leak. I agree, dare to have them prove anything.

So all dykes are Dutch ?

That reminds me of an old joke when WJ Clinton was the terror of the back rooms. Why all the terrible floods in Ohio ? All the dykes went to Washington DC to be with Hillary.
Wonder what the maggots of the forth estate will be asking this time ? " So Charlie, what's it like to have sex with a Lord, and then heal children by touching them ? That sounds like what you'd get. As a group I like lawyers better then tabloid reporters.

Cefin