Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 769.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 769
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We were at school quite early the next morning – in truth, I’d been awake half the night working out what I was going to do while Simon snored like a demented lawn mower. Normally it didn’t worry me too much, but that night it did, and he got several pokes in the ribs from my elbows.

What really took the biscuit however, was I had lain there watching the clock tick around and he had the gall the next morning to say he hadn’t slept a wink. I said nothing, as being arrested for manslaughter, even under provocation, would have stopped me getting to school early.

I took the girls into the playground and went in search of the headmistress, Sister Maria. I found her and asked to see her urgently. She asked me to wait until after assembly. I went back out to the yard in time to see a slanging match begin between Livvie and Petunia. Trish was standing behind her sister and it looked as if she was crying.

As I walked towards the disturbance, loads of other girls were standing around watching the event, and roughly forming up behind the two camps. There was lots of name calling going on, and I was delighted and concerned that Livvie had got directly involved. Before I could do anything about it, a teacher intervened and the girls were told to be quiet, and to shake hands and apologise to each other. I stayed back not wishing to interfere in the internal workings of the school.

The two girls stood rigidly staring at each other, the teacher insisted that they shake hands, and I watched as Petunia held out her hand and when Livvie put hers out Petunia took it and nearly pulled her over. How Livvie managed not to retaliate, I’ll never know but she didn’t and Petunia got told to wait outside the headmistress’ office. I was really impressed by my daughter in sticking up for her sister but knowing when to play by the rules. Petunia was in trouble anyway, now she was in bigger or deeper varieties.

Once the fracas was over, Livvie went to comfort her sister. Things seemed to be under control, so I returned inside the school, where another teacher was informing the headmistress of the reason for Petunia to be seated outside her office. Sister Maria was not impressed by the girl and I heard raised voices for a few moments before the girl came out crying, and ran past me, I’m sure without seeing me.

I went to wait for my informal chat with the headmistress. She came back after about fifteen minutes. “How can I help you, Lady Cameron?”

“I’m not yet, although we’re working on it.”

“Oh, how lovely, where are you doing the deed?”

“At a little church near Bristol, I know the vicar there and she’s agreed to marry us.”

“What a pity, if it was more local, I’d have come to see the ceremony.”

“When it happens, Sister Maria, you would be very welcome to come as one of our guests.”

“Oh, goodness, God does move in mysterious ways – I wasn’t fishing for an invite.”

“I know, I also know if you’re there the girls will behave.” As I said this she gave me an old fashioned look and then laughed. It was meant as a joke and thankfully, she took it as one rather than an invite to sing for her supper.

“Anyway, I take it that wasn’t why you came to see me?”

“No, to cut to the chase, Trish is being bullied by Petunia. Somehow, she’s found out that Trish sees a psychiatrist and has been tormenting her about it.”

“Ah, that’s why Olivia has entered the fray. Protecting her sister?”

“Yes, I think so.”

“Well, I’ve already given Petunia a flea in her ear, how does she know about Trish’s appointments?”

“I don’t know. We’re not sure if she knows why Trish goes, but even without that it could get quite unpleasant, and Trish has been quite upset.”

“I can see why. It isn’t unusual for a child who has been in care to need some assistance in living with a family again. Given what you told me of her background and her maternal neglect, it’s a tribute to her resilience and your support that she’s as normal as she is.”

“I sent Dr Henschelwood an email to let him know that there might have been a breach of confidentiality somewhere.”

“But you don’t know where?”

“No, hospitals are public places and I could have been recognised there or we could have been seen by someone passing through. I think that’s more likely than a breach of confidentiality but I felt I had to inform the good doctor.”

“Absolutely, especially as it could feature in a future issue to resolve.”

“Yes, and she was doing so well.”

“She’s a good kid, she’ll make it – she’s bright and tough, like her foster mother, and with whose support, she’ll be unstoppable.”

“What about Livvie?”

“I shall send for her and ask her for her side of things. She has nothing to worry about. My colleague said that she asked the girls to shake hands and apologise and that Olivia seemed prepared, albeit reluctantly, to do so and Petunia, pushed or pulled her.”

“Pulled her I think,” I wasn’t completely sure now I thought about it.

“Either way, such aggression is not to be tolerated here. She will be punished and Olivia will help me prosecute the affair. How is Trish?”

“I kept out of it, if she’d seen me there, she’d have cried even more and then I’d have had to take her home. She has to learn to cope with these malcontents otherwise she won’t make it as a woman.”

“Is it that difficult to be a woman?” Sister Maria was thinking out loud, “I suppose it is full stop, from yours and her point of view, it must be very difficult. I don’t envy either of you, but I must say you always seem to be on top of things, and you’re a very beautiful and elegant lady.”

Given that I was dressed for quickness in jeans and a pullover, with a scarf around my neck, I wouldn’t have considered I was even tidy, let alone elegant. I blushed at these compliments but had resolved to accept them at face value. I thanked the headmistress and then went back home leaving her to make her investigations and apportion blame and punishment.

Back at home I discussed the situation with Stella and Tom over a cuppa. They were both impressed with Livvie as was I. I knew she had the ability to become a regular spitfire, but to see it in action was overwhelming.

We’d all have to wait for Sister Maria to carry out her investigations and to pass sentence. Personally, I didn’t want any of this to happen – but because it has, it has to be worked through – once we come out the other side, things will be much better, but that could be days or weeks away.

I went to make some bread rolls, the old fashioned way, as kneading the dough helped unleash a degree of hostility within me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Re: Memories...

Schoolyard justice..... Can't wait for the 'tribunal' to reach a verdict. Any takers on how Petunia's mum's gonna handle this?

PB

Reaction

Maybe...she'll have a cow...a brown one!

Playground Scrap

he he!

That name just lends itself to so many jokes, doesn't it? Keep up the good work Angharad! :)

Saless

P.S. I love the way you finish all your comments with words that match your name PS! ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

If Mrs Brown-Cow it true to stereotype

She'll have some really nasty things to say about Cathy. then if she doesn't get her way in having her little darling vindicated, she'll "punish" the school by pulling her daughter out and taking her to a "better" school. Of course she'll threaten to tell all of her friends how bad this school is too.

There's a saying in the U.S.

"Don't let the screendoor hit you in the ass on the way out." :-)

As for this: Of course she'll threaten to tell all of her friends how bad this school is too. If they are really Mrs. B-C's friends, does anybody care? ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Love that saying, it's quite appropriate

"Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out." :-)

Just thinking how much better it would be it if the door were a 1 1/4" solid oak one hitting her on the ass on the way out! *giggles*

Like Mother, Like Daughter

All three of Cathy's are a credit to her. Livvie protects sweet Trish who wants to be a girl, and Mima will join Livvie in protecting Trish, or another student from bullies. But piglet and mummy cow are what a girl, or mum should not be.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A fiting reward for the brown cows

The Russian Mafia is probably overkill (pun intended), but the credit cancellation suggested earlier would seem appropriate, although the piglet would probably have to leave school (sob, sob)

So, will Cathy some how end up

caring for "piglet"? Hope not but the way her life goes, I wouldn't bet too much against the possibility.

Good for

Livvie showing that as far as she is concerned, While she is around, Nobody will mess with her sister !!!

Kirri

"Oink" and "Moo" is all I

"Oink" and "Moo" is all I could come up with as I was thinking of daughter, Petunia, and Mother, Mrs. Browne-cow. Livvie sounds like she will definitely take on all comers when it comes to standing up for her sisters. Others better just watch out that is for sure. Janice Lynn

Such trash need to be dealt with.

In my own 8th year, the Gaskal brothers constantly tormented me, though years later, one of them apologized to me. Poor little kid.

Khadija

Petunia

Petunia probably has her own issues we don't know about yet. Child abuse comes in many forms. Hope I'm wrong, but there it is.

Seems rather tranquil

Is this the calm before a storm ? Is Browne-Coward just watching her daughter, totally unaware of the spawn of the Devil's behaviour, and taking no pleasure in it ?
I don't think this is the end of Miss Watt's involvement.
Has anyone else noticed how cute the sole of the hind feet of dormice are ?

Cefin