Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 749.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 749
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon told me that he’d try to steal a weekend away from work. I pointed out that most people didn’t work seven-day weeks and he reminded me that most people didn’t earn as much as him, either. Point taken, but the money was secondary to me, I think it was to him as well, but it was the family business and had been for two hundred years, so he didn’t want to be the one who lost it.

I decided that I didn’t want to be in a family business, nor would I let the girls if I could possibly help it, although I could see Livvie and Trish enjoying the challenges and the rewards. Meems, I wasn’t so sure about. She hadn’t shown an aptitude for much except her dollies – maybe she was going to be mother, or a nurse or even a teacher. All of them were necessary, especially the first one, although we spend much time deriding it or undervaluing it as a role. If houses hadn’t been allowed to become so expensive, maybe more mothers could stay at home for a few years and look after their children. As it is, usually the only ones who do are those caught in the benefit trap and they’re usually single parent families. I felt really sorry for that much maligned group.

Stella had put Puddin’ down for the night and we had a glass of wine together. She’d heard some of my conversation with Si and concluded we were both mad.

“So you haven’t set a date?” she asked sipping her wine and savouring the taste.

“Not yet, haven’t actually decided to marry him yet.”

She waggled her ring finger to remind me I’d accepted his ring. “What was all that for then?”

“You told me to take whatever he offered, remember?”

“Oh yeah, I remember telling you to keep the ring. God, that was years ago.”

“Only a couple at most, probably much less than that.”

“Was it, doesn’t time fly when you’re enjoying yourself?”

“If you say so. He’s hoping he might be able to get home one of these weekends.”

“You’d see more of him if he was in the Royal Navy.”

“Oh yes and those sexy uniforms,” I joked, “just imagine him bringing his aircraft carrier into Portsmouth, with all those men and women in uniform.”

“Oh yeah, they have women on ships now don’t they?”

“Yes they do, although I suspect it possibly causes more trouble than it’s worth.”

“Possibly. Imagine it, a handful of women and all those men. Hmm, maybe I’ll join the navy.” She giggled and the blush on her skin suggested the wine was more than relaxing her.

“All those men – ugh, no thanks, I can’t cope with just the one.”

“Cathy, where’s your spirit of adventure?”

“Alive and well and waiting for a bike ride.”

“It’s shopping tomorrow, so you can’t go then.”

“I know, don’t rub it in.”

“What are you going to buy the girls?”

“Not sure, they’ll need new shoes and at forty or fifty quid a pair, I won’t need much else to have spent my allocation for the day.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, remember I have school fees to pay for Trish, and although Livvie gets an allowance, or I do on her behalf, she needs more than it pays.”

“Tell ‘em to pay more.”

“They told me how much they would pay and that was that, anything over that, I have to find or not spend.”

“Do you get an allowance for child benefit?”

“Yes, I get that for the three of them, but it would hardly feed them and certainly wouldn’t pay for school fees – not that it’s meant for that.”

“No, but surely the council ought to pay something, I mean, they couldn’t fit Trish in one of their schools, could they?”

“I can’t be bothered to ask, Stella, there’d be all sorts of reasons why they couldn’t, and they’d offer me something miles away in a rundown area, and given Trish’s little problem, it would raise all sorts of issues I’d rather not revisit. Besides, she likes it at the convent, they seem to like her and Livvie goes there too, so it isn’t much of a contest really; is it?”

“When you put it like that, I suppose not. Are you going to send Meems there too?”

“I’m going to take her there for the nursery, I’d forgotten they had one but when I looked on their website, I rediscovered it. So next year she can start the school like the other two.”

“How much is that going to cost?”

“Loads, but I’m hoping it’s worth it. I can’t send one to a private school and the others elsewhere, can I?”

“If you joined the navy, maybe they’d pay?” Stella giggled at what was hardly a joke, mind you she was on her third glass to my first one.

“No point in your joining, they don’t do the rum ration anymore.”

“Shame, maybe I could get them to reinstate it?” She yawned. “I think I need to go to bed while I can still climb your stairs.”

“I think maybe you’re right, Stella. Off you go then while I lock up, batten down the hatches and splice the main brace me ‘earties.”

“Arr, Jim lad,“ she said getting unsteadily to her feet, before falling over. “Oops, haven’t got my sea-legs, forgot to pack them, ha ha,” she laughed at her silly joke and I had to help her up and then push her upstairs and help her into bed. “Next time, I’ll wait till I get to bed before I drink.”

I got her a bucket and put it by the side of the bed – just in case. Then I cleaned up, locked up and went to bed myself. The wine helped me to sleep and I probably did dream, but I can’t recall any of them.

I woke up when the aliens came in and talked in their giggle language. They also have cold feet, but at the moment that’s all the field notes I have on them. Before long, John Humphrys was spit-roasting a politician and it was time to get up.

We’d done all we had to by nine thirty and we were in my car and heading for a car park near Park Street. Sadly, you can’t park on Park Street, so I used a multi-storey car park with exorbitant charges. I hadn’t been here for ages, I suspected I wouldn’t be back very soon again.

We did a couple of department stores and then at a shoe shop I bought all three of mine Startrite shoes, in a MaryJane style, which they all loved. I won’t discuss the cost, even Stella raised an eyebrow.

In Debenhams, she bought them all new dresses. Meems chose a pink one with frills around the bodice, the hem and the sleeves. Livvie had a navy blue corduroy one with some ties under the bodice, that tied behind. The hem was flounced in matching corduroy. Trish opted for a red dress with long sleeves, and a pattern of umbrellas in different colours all over it.

We had lunch at one of the stores and then wandered back to the car. Even Stella had had enough by then. She’d bought several dresses and tights for Puddin’ and a skirt and top for herself. Me? Well I bought some more blank CDs and a new memory stick – I know I could have got them on the internet probably cheaper, but then if I bought everything on the net, we wouldn’t have any high streets left at all.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

>> we wouldn’t have any high street...

Puddintane's picture

Indeed.

All very well for people who never leave the house, but hard luck for people who like to try things on in the shops.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Spit roasting a politician

They're not all bad, some are quire tasty.

I buy from the high street if I think I'm getting better quality or value. We have a real butcher and real baker nearby and I patronise them rather than the supermarket; slightly more expensive, but much better quality.

Lots of shops in town, including my favourite coffee shop, have closed down due to the recession. Sad. I suspect that Internet shopping is not helping.

For decent clothes shops, I either need a 90 minute bus ride or a mortgage.

Tough decision.

Susie

Internet shopping!!!

i would have to agree Susie, when you mention internet shopping and the effect on the high street. I even have to admit that i'm as guilty as the next person in that i can never resist a bargain!! (and you do get plenty of those on the net!) But lets not forget one thing, If it was'nt for the net we would'nt be able to read Angharad's wonderful story!!!

Kirri

Yeah but the coffee shop failing suprises me ... I mean

Have you ever tried buying a latte online?

I tried sending a plain black coffee to a friend once. The fax machine hasn't been the same since.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Thanks for a lighthearted episode, Ang.

John in Wauwatosa

Well, Maybe Cathy Could Join The Navy:)

Then she could sing with the Villge People and sing In The Navy, and A Bycicle Built For Two. If she was on an aircraft carrier, or a heli-carrier, THEN she could ride her bike up on deck.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Village People...

Puddintane's picture

Last I noticed, and I was around when they started, The Village People were and are all men and all gay. Cathy probably wouldn't be a suitable candidate. I'm not sure if she's all that fond of disco music either.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

In The Navy

Was the US Navy Recruiting song for about six months... Until it came out that the Village People group was made up of gay men. The music video was filmed on board a US Navy ship, with US Navy cooperation. It was also very effective at getting people into the recruiting stations as well...

But, Cathy is both too young, and from the wrong country for the Navy the song showed. :-)

As to cycling on the flight deck? Not the best idea in the world, while underway. The wind over the deck would make it unsafe. The bow is a tad narrow for a high speed turn. The no-skid surface would eat up the tires on the bike, and hitting tie-downs (Holes in the deck - which are all over) would not be good for the wheels... Not to mention, what a short slide on that surface would do to a person's skin... (Yes, I've spent my share of time on a flight deck.)

Flight Deck Jogging - when not under flight ops - wasn't uncommon. But, could still be fairly dangerous - though not so dangerous as cycling would be. (Jogging speed allows you to miss tie-down chains, etc.)

Nice thought though.

Annette

So? Do you or don't you miss...

the smell of fuel soaked non-skid?

"All Gay"? There was a rumor that one of them was straight. I always guessed the Sailor, going against stereotype.

- - - - -
Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

All gay...

Puddintane's picture

The songwriter and front man, Victor Willis, now claims not to be gay, and further claims that none of his songs, including In the Navy, YMCA, and all the rest had any gay context whatsoever, and that they never catered to a gay audience.

He explains that this was a total misconception of his songs, and the group, and had nothing to do with his twenty-five years as a drug abuser and addict, nor his appearance on America's Most Wanted TV show as a fugitive felon, not a host, and has absolutely nothing to do with the widespread homophobia in the African-American community.

Cheers,

Puddin'

Every man wants to be a macho macho man
to have the kind of body, always in demand
Jogging in the mornings, go man go
works out in the health spa, muscles glow
You can best believe that, he's a macho man
ready to get down with, anyone he can
Hey! Hey! Hey, hey, hey!

It's fun to stay at the YMCA (rpt)
They have everything for young men to enjoy
You can hang out with all the boys

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Quite the mother...

Cathy is... Most of the time.

Seems the girls are being indoctrinated into shopping early. Lends credence to nurture vs. nature, as none of them inherited the shopping gene from Cathy. :-) (The gene skipped a generation with my wife, so maybe that's what happened out there.)

LOL - thanks,
Annette

It isn't just the Wal-marts

It isn't just the Wal-marts coming in and taking down local businesses; the internet has done a good job of that also. The "Mom and Pop" (small local stores) that we all probably remember when we growing up, were the first victims of this "outrage". We have lost too much of our "souls" in this era of high tech gadgets and internet living. Ooops, best get off this rant while there is time to do so. Janice Lynn

Check out...

if you didn't catch them when they came out two weeks ago, Arlo and Janice where Arlo's in a tree ranting about technology. It lasted three or four days.

- - - - -
Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Ma&Pa shops on internet.

I think you'll find quite a few Ma&Pa shops out there on internet & doing quite well

what i find most interesting is how many shops particuarly women's clothing out there on internet. I know of a survey not long back (a friend that was involved working the survey) that Fredericks of Hollywood & victoria's secret, that those two stores had 65% hollywood & 38% VC shoppers were male. either alot gift giving was being made or there's alot more transgender out buying that I gave credit... I know the local VC store her doesnt even blink an eye & even usually has one clerk on duty ensuring men are catered to.(smiles)
I dont doubt sales @ other clothing outlets prob have a large non-GG cliental also. And my reasoning this - most females want to shop in packs, they rarely will buy clothing w/o trying it on unless it's got a VERY VERY liberal return policy.

And I've DEF learned why this is, Unline male clothing in general,if i go buy size 30-34 jeans in male, no matter where i buy them or whom makes em. I've usually got a 95% chance they will fit (or last when I was trying to passoff as a male they did)

women's clothing - nothing is as advertised in size. a size marked could be size ranged 4-5 sizes one way or another. I once made the mistake of actually trying a pr of CLEARLY MARKED SZ 10 jeans once. & then went and grabbed 4 more PR since the ones I tried on fit well. I get home & NOT one pr of the others came close to fitting same. too funny.

I do buy some stuff online tho in women's clothes. often i'll buy just one thing order it from their sizing chart to match my size & if it fits I may go back there & oreder more if it comes anywhere close to fitting. I've managed to put about 20 online stores on my list that usually do well in if they say SZ 10 they mean SZ 10 :)

I also have kinda figured the WHY to descrepancy on Sizing tho I'm not sure the other ladies would want me saying this ... so I won't. I value my life more than that to let such a secret out :-)

I fail

Shopping leaves me cold. I remember seeing a mother and her four year old girl shopping, there was genuine excitement on the little girls part trying clothes on. Guess it really is genetic.