Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 779.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 779
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

At breakfast the next morning, neither Simon nor I could explain how he’d got the bruise around his eye, a real keeker according to Tom. Stella, of course, had a field day making all sorts of suggestions about my beating up my boyfriend – all of which were quite outrageous. The very thought of me actually hitting Simon, is just unthinkable. We discussed it and decided that he must have hit his face as he fell out of bed.

I didn’t mention my sore knuckles – they’d only think I was looking for sympathy – and I’d obviously bumped them on the bedside cupboard or headboard. I mean how else could I have hurt them – oh, I’ve just had a thought, maybe Simon or I lay on my hand when we were asleep. Oh well, I had to get the girls ready for school.

In a discussion with Tom earlier, I’d suggested that once Mima went to nursery, I’d have the best part of three hours every morning to assist with the national mammal survey. He thought it sounded like a good idea as they were well behind on everything since I’d left to make my film. So, if I could get her in after half term, I could start at the end of the month. It was certainly appealing.

I was just about to leave with the girls when the phone rang – it was the bike shop, my Scott was finally in, apparently the problem had been the paint job. I’d asked for one in the same colours as before – the yellow of Saunier Duval. I arranged to collect it later. I yelled to Simon it was in, as we went through the front door.

After depositing the two schoolgirls in the establishment of learning, I went and spoke with the school secretary, who called the headmistress into the discussion. It seems it was possible to get Meems in after half term. I made the arrangement and signed the forms. I felt quite excited about it as I drove home, I was going to be working again, even if it was only part time – and as I’d been so involved in setting up the framework for the survey, it was like coming home to a neglected baby. I was even going to be able to use my old office – that was wonderful.

I should have taken the bike rack to get the Scott, but I decided on impulse to go and get the yellow flying machine. As I drove into Portsmouth to the bike shop, I reflected on the problems I’d had in getting the first bike in yellow. “They don’t make ladies bikes in those colours, madam.” It had made me smile, I was supposedly still pretending to be male then, but I was buying a women’s bike – they fitted me better with their shorter crossbar. The other thing was the smaller handlebars and brake levers – my hands were too small to pull the brakes on a men’s bike.

“Ah, Lady Cameron, how nice to see you again. It’s all ready for you, all you have to do is sign here and here,” he pointed at two places on the form. I ignored him and looked at the bike. I checked the wheels and the brakes, then the gears.

“I’ll just take it for a quick test ride up the road if that’s okay?” I didn’t give him a chance to argue, but was out the door and pedalling up the road, clicking up and down the gears. Everything felt like it should and was possibly even better than before.

I hopped off as I took it back into the shop, “Okay?” he asked as I leant it back against the counter.

“Yes, the Dura Ace may need a little adjustment,” I said, although I wasn’t entirely sure it was necessary, but it took the smirk off his face.

“Oh, are you sure? I set them up myself yesterday.”

“Not sure – until I ride them with the proper kit and especially the shoes, I won’t really know.”

“Feel free to bring it back if you have any worries.”

“I can probably sort that myself.” I said smugly, and it was true – I’d set up the gears on the previous bike when the original bike shop in Brighton had messed it up.

“You’re very unusual then, my dear, most women don’t have a clue about bike repairs.” Unusual – ha – you don’t know the half of it. I signed and wheeled the bike out to the car, put the back seat down and took the front wheel off the bike. Plenty of room.

“I was home some twenty minutes later and five after that I had the wheel back on and the car seat back up. I locked the car, took the bike to the garage and went indoors to get the key. In two more minutes, I’d got the serial number and locked the bike up in the garage alongside the others.

I went in and began sorting out the flour and yeast for the bread machine. “I’d have thought you’d be wanting to get your new bike,” said Simon lounging against the door frame.

“I’ve got it and it’s locked up in the garage.”

“You went and got it?”

“That’s what I just said, ooh that eye looks sore, darling.”

“It’s not too bad, had worse on a rugger pitch.”

“Yeah, but aren’t beds supposed to be safer than rugby pitches?”

“Beds? Good God no – I mean most people die in them don’t they?” He had a point, I’d never thought of it that way, although I suspect it was one which needed qualifying. I mean, beds themselves aren’t inherently dangerous unless they were dropped on one, or one fell out of one and blacked one’s eye. Hmm, maybe they were dangerous. Come to think of it, most women get pregnant after lying on one – maybe he did have a point.

“Have you ridden the mean machine yet?”

“Only up and down the road outside the shop, need to check the set up, saddle height and so on.”

“If you like, I could give you an hour after lunch.”

“What, look after Mima?”

“Yeah, I’ll take her out for an hour in the Jag, she likes that.”

“They all like going out in that toy car of yours. Can’t think why.” I knew damn well why, it’s a lovely car and makes you feel... I dunno ... empowered?

“What time?”

“I’ll need to be changed and back to collect the girls at three.”

“What time is lunch?” he asked.

“I’ll make some leek and potato soup, say twelvish.”

“Okay, I’ve got a few things to sort out, I’ll be back by twelve.” He pecked me on the cheek and went out.

The next ninety minutes were filled by chopping spuds and leeks, onions, garlic and so on, and cooking them all in Tom’s pressure cooker–it halved the cooking time and meant I could make enough for the girls for dinner, or even freeze it for later use.

It was ready on time and so was Simon, who brought me a large bouquet of flowers. “What are these for?” I asked him.

“Because it’s Friday.”

“Oh – okay, but I didn’t get any last week, and that had a Friday, I believe.”

“Don’t look a gift horse...” he said tersely. I shrugged and popped them in some water.

We dined on the soup and fresh bread – a veritable feast, fit for a peer if not a king. Then after clearing up, I went and changed and set off for my ride after adjusting the saddle height.

I’d not eaten much for lunch, not wanting to feel too heavy when I rode – I mean in terms of feeling bloated or too full rather than body weight. I did about seventeen miles – I was out of condition and certainly out of practice. I showered and changed and after drying my hair and putting on a skirt and top with some boots, slapped on some quick makeup – for the first time in days – a quick squirt of Coco and I was off to get the girls.

“You look nice, Mummy,” observed Trish.

“Well thank you, young lady, you look pretty good yourself.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yes, beds are very dangerous

Oh the nasty things you can do with statistics and out-of-context facts.

Statistics

83.76% of statistics are made up on the spot...

...including that one!

But there is one credible place to get accident statistics - RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents).
Their accident statistics database (for 2000, 2001 and 2002) is available at this link.

From 2002: Object or Product Involved --> Building Contents

Bed not bunk: 56,273
Unspecified bed: 51,025
Armchair: 16,380
Bunkbed: 12,731
Bedside table cabinet: 11,398
Part Of Bed Headboard Leg Post Etc: 9,225
Pile of Washing or Ironing: 5,330
Cot or Cotbed: 3,711
Towel: 2,829
Duvet Or Eiderdown Or Quilted Bedspread: 2,706
Mattress: 2,399
Blanket not electric: 1,353
Clock: 1,312
Beanbag: 738
Unspecified Bedding: 574
Bedspread unquilted unspecified: 410
Other Bedding: 390
Cradle: 246
Campbed or Z bed: 246
Flannel or face cloth: 123
Pillow case: 103

See? Your bedroom really isn't a safe place to be...
But then again, neither is the rest of your home, or your garden, or your workplace...

OK, so maybe you need to cover yourself in bubble wrap? Fine, but you may wish to reconsider if it it comes as a packet or parcel (1,558), sits in a cardboard (1,230) box or a blister pack (882). And forget about putting a paper bag over your head and ignoring it - although at a mere 82 accidents, it's safer than anything else in the list...

(I might repeat this in a blog later, so you can add your own crazy stats from the site!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Me, Now That Cathy Has Her Bike,

Will she meet her new enemy on the road? I can see Cathy stopping to help B.C. out of a jam, and then finding out why she was so mean to Cathy. Can't help but think that B.C. might make a new friend that can lead to more misadventures. And more biking please Ang!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Woud be great to see

Cathy able to enjoy being out on the bike. So many problems associated with biking recently. Riding is fun and can be a stress reliever. Lets hope Cathy can get back to that.

Pressure cookers...

Puddintane's picture

Such a Balabusta!* I have a pressure cooker, but many people these days wouldn't know what to do with one, as microwave cookers have taken over quite a few of their ordinary functions.

Cheers,

Puddin'

* Yiddish. From the Hebrew, ba'alat-habayit, mistress of the home, a term without the often negative connotations of "housewife."

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

yes but...

NoraAdrienne's picture

You can be a balabusta, and still be a flamin machashayfeh

LOL

Adina Nechama

Breaking the wind outta beans.

I don't have a presure cooker but as I begin to learn more about olde fashioned cooking, I find that the Presure Cooker will sort of "crack" the proteins in beans, thus making them fartless. I am learning lots, just from this story. Now, my friends tell me that I need to stop using that gastly prepared food in boxes as there are a witches brew of chemicals in them. I can just smell freshly cooked beans n rice over home baked corn bread ... oh yeah, and breaded, fried Okra.

Does anyone know how to cook Babaganushe?

Khadijah

Cook the beans slow with pickle juice added

erin's picture

Vinegar plus heat breaks down the long chain starches, which is what the gas comes from, not so much the protein. It was what was done with the leftover juice when the pickles were gone at my house growing up. Home-made pickles, btw. :)

We ate beans and cornbread, on average, five to eight times a week.

When we got tired of that, we had chilibeans, ham and beans, beans and dumplings, and refried beans with home-made tortillas. :)

My brother and I joke now that we didn't know we were poor, we just thought we liked beans. We raised cattle, pigs, chickens, goats and turkeys so we had meat to eat, too. Maybe we really did like beans. :)

A dream meal for me, right now, would be cornbread and beans with chow-chow, fried okra, fresh sliced onions and 'maters, cottage cheese and iced tea. Add a cold, fried pulley bone and I'm in heaven.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Glad she got her Bike.

I'll bet riding her bike will do more to help Cathy sort her life out, (plus getting back to her dormice,) than talking with a therapist. I find riding has lots of benefits.

1. The endorphin high.
2. The solitude allows me to mentally sort out problems and channel any negative energy generated into propelling the cycle.
3. The exercise also helps align my physical and mental states, reducing overall stress.

The only caveat to this is if Cathy has another encounter with stress inducing obnoxious individuals while riding. If she was a cat, she'd only have 3 or 4 lives left.

Cathy spends so much time taking care of others that she neglects herself. Going from being single to the mother of 3 little kids in a short time, plus all the events surrounding this is very traumatic. She had little or no warning to prepare for the changes. Getting the three girls into school and focusing time on work and riding can only be positive. It has the potential to let her gain some sense of control and balance in her life again.

Thanks for keeping the story going, I'd like longer chapters, but I'm not the Authoress. It is amazing, how you still hold our interest after so many episodes. Please keep this story going. I want to see Cathy marry Simon.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Writing has been difficult recently

Angharad's picture

Once or twice I very nearly didn't write simply from pure exhaustion. Real life issues like catching up with work after a short holiday--I have more people chasing me (for appointments than) Bin Laden--hopefully with more positive intentions. My computer has been playing up/internet access, my car has been playing up and I've been trying to get one or two things of the domestic plumbing sorted as well. My lawn could have a herd of migrating wildebeest in it for all I know, it's so long, and I'm desperately in need of a bike ride--but have to do the washing and shopping first. Then there's the moggies...

So far in the week I've been home I've worked about 50+ hours, set up a new computer and sorted the internet problem, bought a newer car, had a plumber assess the problem in my kitchen, taken cat to the vet, sorted out at least one friend who needs to talk to me regularly to stay 'sane' - she has an anxiety and depression problem, kept house (sort of)written umpteen episodes of Bike and posted them, dealt with 151 emails and had about twelve hours sleep.

I know being Welsh makes me superhuman, but even we get a bit tired now and again. I have a new chapter of Snafu to post once I can get a response from Sapphire - or it will get posted here if that isn't forthcoming. Have to go, lunch to get and laundry to do-- a few machine loads by the look of it.

Angharad

Angharad

Wonder how long

it might be before Cathy's love of bikes gets her into more trouble

After all her track record with bikes in the past is not that good !!!

Kirri

Cathy, you make me feel inadquate.

Nice to see # 2 notices those things.
Here's a guy engineer question, what's a 'Dura Ace' and how do you set up the gears?

Cefin