Jem...Chapter 217

Printer-friendly version

*Before…

It was actually really nice and it was pretty hard to do all of that and to keep to a schedule to unhook and clean up in the middle of things and be nice and calm and mannerly to people while and then thanking everyone involved again before heading off for our gig at The Cat.

It’s a lot to process with us not going through the usual post show stuff as we get out of there and head to The Cat. Instead it’s quick looks at the video recordings and counting up the tips and then the cheque for the job and we did very good with the tips, we got actual old school cheques as part of our tips and big bills too. It’s a big deal when most of the bills are twenties.

I mean a different gig and a whole different crowd tipping the act with a twenty seems like a very impress your date kind of thing.

All of that gets shunted into the back of our thoughts as we pull in and the rides are going and there’s a bit of a crowd outside but way more inside as the sound of playing is just cranked to the max through the walls of The Cat and I can make out the sounds of The Numchuk Girls belting out *Chop Suey* by System of a Down.

There’s fans screaming at us as we’re getting out of our van all decked out in our slinky and sexy clothes.

That’s pretty cool really.

Everything looks and sounds like it’s working so it’s pretty cool too.

*And Now…

The first thing I start doing is wave back at the people that are excited to see us and I take my phone out and take pictures with them and shoot some fast videos too.

Mike picks up our things and so does Molly, both of them being really cool about getting our stuff inside as I’m asking people, asking the girls here about the shows so far and the bands and how do they like the rides and stuff for our All Hallows of Eve concert.

I just made that up on the spot and I’m keeping that in case we do this again.

The responses are amazing.

Some are local or close enough to drive, some are from as far away as the States and Montreal and Winnipeg and other towns and places here in Ontario.

And there’s nothing like this, there has been nothing like this for girls and nothing for this with a definite girl focused LGBT+ focus on it. No one wants to do it or it’s small clubs and things in big cities.

No concert with garage band and up and coming women rockers.

No snacks and No rides.

No security for where they have things safe for women and girls and no guys or hassles over kissing or holding hands or any kind of affection of even just being...out.

They are really big about that point being out, being safe, and no one harassing them.

I get some of that on camera phone as I record us and take selfies with people and spend a good twenty minutes with them before I share some hugs and we all head inside The Cat and backstage where the music is just popping.

The Numchuk girls are still playing and they are this all girl drum heavy punk rocker band of Asian girls. They got the name from the original band members first making a video where one of the girls was doing martial arts stuff with actual numchuks while hanging with friends who were the drummer and their bassist and they got so many hits that they actually gave the band thing a try.

And while their lead doesn’t sing the happy light voiced sort of stuff she can belt out a pretty good hard rock tone.

If anything that I can think of them sounding like is actually The Donnas.

So yeah high energy and very good.

And they’re fun to watch as we’re starting to go through wardrobe changes and getting cleaned up and we’re just starting to get our new stuff out when They’re announcing Kisses and Thorns.

Summer’s front woman and she’s in her band tee’s and fishnet shirt and stockings and a leather mini-skirt and big heavy boots and she’s right up to the mic stand pretty fast as the band kicks in with high energy and she starts belting out.

*Whole Lotta Love.* By Led Zeppelin.

Then they do *Running Hot* and *Do you Feel Me* By Kisses and Thorns and then They go into *Mother, Mother* By Tracy Bonham a song that really kind of hits this rebelling, hurt, girl, and LGBT sort of sport here.

And they know it.

The girls here, the crowd knows this song because they’re singing along and lighters and phones are out.

Mother mother how's the family?
I'm just calling to say hello
How's the weather? How's my father?
Am I lonely? Heavens no
Mother mother are ya listening?
Just a phone call to ease your mind
Life is perfect never better
Distance making the heart grow fond

When you sent me off to see the world
Were you scared that I might get hurt?
Would I try a little tobacco
Would I keep on hiking up my skirt?

I'm hungry
I'm dirty
I'm losing my mind
Everything's fine!

I'm freezing
I'm Starving
I'm bleeding to death
Everything's fine!

Yeah I'm working making money
I'm just starting to build a name
I can feel it around the corner
I could make it any day
Mother mother can you hear me
Sure I'm sober sure I'm sane
Life is perfect never better
Still your daughter still the same

If I tell you what you want to hear
Will it help you to sleep well at night?
Are you sure that I'm your perfect dear
Now just cuddle up and sleep tight

I'm hungry
I'm dirty
I'm losing my mind
Everything's fine!

I'm freezing
I'm starving
I'm bleeding to death
Everything's fine!

I miss you
I love you

And then they kick it up with *Edge of my Seat* and *Brace for Impact* by Kisses and Thorns and hit them harder with another great rebel edgy sing along song with *Everything About You* By Ugly Kid Joe.

Then *AC/DC* By Joan Jet.

And *Monster* By Mellisa Etheridge… another one that gets sing along and Summer’s hitting that with that Etheridge smoke in her voice.

They’ve been calling me the monster
Ever since the day I was born
Never saying huh, don’t hurt no-one
Each and every Sunday morn
I rise so strong is that so wrong
I don’t mean to devastate
They say

Here come the monster everybody run
Shouting out loud and beating that drum
I’m gigantic, titanic I might cause a panic
Ready or not baby here I come

I am a monster
Full of desire full of love
I am a monster
The one that everyone is so afraid of

They been screaming at the monster
Since they got the fire inside
Every little mistake such a little twist makes
Nobody is satisfied
I rise so strong is that so wrong
I don’t mean to devastate
They saye’ Producers Break Down Uzi’s New Album | Genius News

Here come the monster everybody run
Shouting out loud and beating that drum
I’m gigantic, titanic I might cause a panic
Ready or not baby here I come

I am a monster
Full of desire full of love
I am a monster
The one that everyone is so afraid of

Here come the monster everybody run
Shouting out loud and beating that drum
I’m gigantic, titanic I might cause a panic
Ready or not baby here I come

I am a monster
Full of desire full of love
I am a monster
The one that everyone is so afraid of….

Rivals, Frenemies, Enemies whatever we are they’re putting on a great show.

And we want that, we want them to talk about it.

The show gets better too.

Hannah is actually up and singing and she does *Change* By Blind Melon and the great guitar in the song is split three ways with Muzz and Dee doing their usual but summer playing too and she can actually play.

And then they’re doing a duet together with *Fade into you.* By Mazzy Star.

The Summer switches out to an acoustic and she starts to sing. *Sweet child of mine.* By Guns and Roses and she keeps going after that doing this really great stripped down version of *I’m The Only One.* By Melissa Etheridge.

The girls out in the crowd have been dancing and singing along with them for a while now but they’re doing that girl with girl slow dancing or that languid arms in the air festival dancing kind of stuff as some of them are singing along to this too.

And they end off with a surprise.

“We’re gonna end things off with a song that I wrote and created with my Ex Rayne who’s here tonight and coming up next with Starlight Butterfly, it’s a really great tune and she’s really talented. This is Fidelity everyone.”

I sit here smoking and close my eyes.
And dream and dream and dream …
About how I love you, about how I love you …
And can I tell you … .?
I’ve loved you so, so long but I’ve been just your friend.
And I hate, hate, hate … when you’re in pain.
I knew that they’d do that, that they’d break your heart …
Something so beautiful, something so magical …
I want to hold you …
I want to kiss you …
I want to tell you …

(Chorus) I will be your Fidelity … ..
I will guard your heart.
I will be your Fidelity …
I’ve loved you from the start.
Come to my arms.
Come to my heart.
I’ll keep you safe.
Oh … .I’ll make it … better … .
I will be your Fidelity … ..

You see tragic visions through your teardrops.
Shaky breathing … they broke your heart …
And you wake up crying all alone … .
Come to me … .
Oh come to me … .
(Chorus)
I know that little child inside your head …
Afraid to smile, laugh … .so full of dread.
I will be there …
I will be there …
(Chorus)
Let me pick you up I will be strong …
I’ll kiss it better while you’re in my arms.
Let me be that candle lit in the dark ...
Let me be your fire ... let me warm your heart.
(Chorus)
(Chorus)

There’s a lot of cheers and as they were playing we were finishing changing and going from our dressy look to us in our much more us sort of girl Jem-punk kinda way and this time we’ve go a little more of that heavy make-up over glam kinda look and when we take the stage Mike kills the lights and then.

Boom, boom, boom!

Sparkle confetti and the smoke machine goes off with a blast and there’s flashes of or pop lights and then pink lighting featuring in on us and we step up and I’m channeling my best Lizzy Hale voice as I start to sing….

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Jem...

So much to catch up on

"Rivals, Frenemies, Enemies whatever"

well the good thing about another band performing well, Starlight Butterfly will be pushed to do even better

DogSig.png

Damn! Cliffhanger!

D. Eden's picture

Wow, just wow.

What a great chapter, and that whole ending with Summer........

Totally unexpected - but nice too.

In the words of Roger Rabbit, “P-p-p-p-please Eddie!” Please don’t leave me hanging too long Hon!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

No words

I read Jem up to 167 and now all of the subsequent chapters show 0 words. Have I done something wrong? I have changed internet providers.

Cheryl pinkwestch

Great story

I finally got to this point and hope that the beat goes on. Thanks for the wonderful characters and twisting plot.

Cheryl pinkwestch