At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘a life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 8 So much attention.

Sally jumped out of bed and ran to the door to ensure that it was dead locked properly. Then she looked through the spy-hole to find out who it was. At first she said nobody was there but then another knock. ‘It’s Jessica outside’ she said and opened the door to let her in.

Jessica apologized for disturbing us and said she couldn’t sleep without knowing that we were both ok but also because Anne was snoring loudly and she’d not been able to stop her short of suffocating her with a pillow. She sat on our bed and asked if we could have a chat for a while because her mind was racing. Sally made some tea using what was left of the free sachets. It was Earl Grey or Jasmine but I like them both anyway.

Sally asked Jessica why she was so mean to me all the time and that she liked me. Jessica said that she was jealous of my education and felt inferior to me at work so it was her way of trying to prevent me from showing my skills and capability. She’d always had to fight to be recognized and then promoted and Ms Harper had given her a chance because she saw women as better Managers and they were usually a lot more astute and responsible. She was realizing that the job was too difficult for her so she needed time to gain experience and in that time needed to ensure nobody else threatened her position.

The tea was wonderful and we all needed it after drinking so much wine. Jessica asked me if I hated her and offered her hand to me to be friends. I said I didn’t hate her but that she had made my life uncomfortable but if that hadn’t happened I wouldn’t have this great weekend and to experience time as Christine. Sally interjected and said she hoped she could spend lots of time with Christine and that whilst Chris was OK she couldn’t relax with him. I gave her a smile and blew a kiss.

Jessica then took my hand and removed her ring from her left hand and asked me to wear it as a sign of friendship so that I would always know that she cared for me. It was a simple white gold band that she’d received as a 21st birthday gift so I tried not to take it. She slipped the ring onto my third finger on my right hand and said ‘This is for Christine and not for Chris so please wear it as often as you like’. Then she asked me to wear it on Monday to the office.

My tummy was churning since it was another offer to dress as Christine and since Ms Harper had mistaken me for a female I wondered if I dare do it. But I had not even considered how to approach Mum about it since she might be devasted. She had invested a lot of time in my education and wanted me to be a successful Manager. Jessica said that if I worked as Christine she promised that she would not act badly and feel so threatened. She said she felt that in fact it might be a good thing in view of Ms Harpers belief that women make better managers.

All that said Jessica kissed us goodnight and we locked the door behind her and jumped back into bed. Sally tickled me and so I put my cold feet on her and that soon made her squeal and she stopped. We hugged again and kissed passionately before turning out our bed side lights and falling to sleep in each others arms.

At 9-30am we were woken by a knock on the door and this time I jumped out of bed searching for a dressing gown. It was breakfast so I signed for it whilst Sally groaned at the light disturbing her sleep. I poured tea and buttered some toast. Then she poked her little nose over the duvee like a mouse that smelled the cheese. I jumped back into bed with the tray perched between us and we soon scoffed everything.

Sally looked at me and said that she couldn’t believe I was the same person who she’d met before at Jessicas apartment and that last night had been wonderful. She kissed my shoulder and asked me if I loved her like she now loved me. What could I say? I had never had these feelings before for anybody and I just wanted to stay here all day and chat and cuddle. Then she dived on me and said ‘Well then Missy, what is your answer?” I just laughed and said I was thinking about it.

Sally got up to use the loo and I looked at my phone that had bleeped. It was a message from James asking if I had time for a coffee before we went home and to take Sally along. He said he had a friend who had seen her the night before at De Marcos. So I shouted to her and said we'd had an offer we shouldn't refuse to join James and I to go as my Chaperone. I didn't mention James had a friend who wanted to meet her and left her in no doubt that I wanted to go so she said yes.

We were up now so we showered and I removed a small amount of growth from my chin using a ladyshave that Sally had brought. I had a choice to make now ‘jeans or skirt Ms Sally. What do you think? You wore the jeans to come here so try the skirt to shock the neighbours when you get home. Mmm I hadn’t thought about that but what the heck I wanted to look my best and show his girlfriend she had something to worry about.

We dressed and Sally helped me with my hair and make-up. She made a much better job of it than me so felt every inch a girl. Well almost every inch I suppose. As I preened in front of the mirror Jessica and Anne arrived at the door. They had been to see the others who were all hung over with their rooms in darkness. Our train wasn’t until 5pm so they’d arranged a late check-out for all of us until 4pm and asked if we wanted to go shopping and have lunch.

We agreed to meet up but first we were going to meet James at a Starbucks. Jessica shook her head and looked at the ring on my finger. I said ‘OK it’s only a coffee!’.Mother Hen said please don’t lead him on and be fair to James and also to yourself. But I wanted to go and so Sally had agreed to come with me.

We found the Starbucks and there was James with his friend. Sally looked a bit taken aback but held my arm and whispered she was OK with me there. James had managed to get two sofas so we could be comfortable and they both stood up as we arrived. James introduced his friend as Steve and then asked what drinks we wanted. Sally had a Latte and I selected tea again since I felt I should keep an eye on my figure and avoid the milky sweet drinks. James sat with me and Steve sat with Sally who still looked decidedly nervous.

James then apologized for the trouble the previous night and asked if he could make it up to me. He wanted to invite me to a concert and said he’d pay for the train tickets for both Sally and I as well as the entry ticket and that his Mum would be away so we could stay at his home. I looked at Sally and she looked only vaguley interested so I said we’d consider it and I’d call him later that evening if he liked.

The concert was the following weekend in Birmingham so it was a chance to be Christine again and since I was now loving every minute of it I wanted to enjoy the experience again.

We sat chatting for an hour before we said we had to meet our friends and so we got up to go. James bent over and kissed me and I didn’t resist. I wanted his kiss and I wanted him to hold me. Oh what was I doing? Why was life so much better as Christine? How was I going to explain all this to mum? Sally just looked at me and shook her head.

We waved goodbye and walked around to the shopping mall where we had arranged to meet the others.

As we entered the mall I just froze. Who was just coming out through the door?

To be continued…..

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

At last 'a life' Chapter 8

Uh oh!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Nerve

A guy calls up a girl he is attracted to and invites her for coffee, and then has the gall to bring along a buddy? This guy has no class at all. He had no idea Chris would bring along a friend. Two guys hanging out should be very intimidating and warned her off quickly. If he is that insecure he feels the need for a wingman at a coffee date, he sure isn't much. And he sure acted prety relaxed and took a lot of liberties that should have earned him a good slapping. Run girl, and stay with your friends, and watch for the the scheming Bosslady. I think she sure has it in for Chris, no matter what she is saying to her face.

Wow Stacy

I'm glad you are on Chris' side. It's nice to read comments based on early chapters knowing the way the story panned out.
I just hope that you had chance to follow to the end so you could see what happened. I tried to link a lot of things together and naturally strayed a bit from time to time to try to throw some readers off the scent.
It was fun.

Jules

This is a personal comment...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Mrs Harper is wrong about women being better managers. Some are great managers! No question! Others are Godawful! And in neither case does it have anything to do with being women. It has to do with character! Jessica was standing behind the door when it was being passed out.

I've worked for and been mentored by woman, and I've managed and mentored women mostly in Fortune 500 companies. So I hope you will believe me when I tell you that most companies have programs in place to identify the Jessicas and change their behavior or eliminate them. It really is bad for business.

I promoted men and women equally based on ability, and I promoted more of each than any other manager.

OK, Rant over,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

All rants allowed

because in UK we do lose confidence easily with poor management because of lack of training or mentoring.
I think Chris actually liked to work in this environment and became very comfortable with it. I think he/she felt it opened doors to a much more exiting life.
But that's for you to determine and I'm only glad for Chris' sake that he swallowed his/her pride and accepted the bullying and went along for the ride.

Jules

I felt like

there should have been dramatic music, "dum, dum, dum!" Nice cliffhanger.