At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 58

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 58 Making plans

Mum said she would see what she could rustle up for dinner and went through to the kitchen. Sally excused herself to go upstairs and I’m sure it was so that Julie and I could have some time together.

Julie turned to me. ‘Sis you did a wonderful job. Finally mum weakened after all these years and she listened to what you said. Goodness knows how many times I’ve tried to persuade her. All because you have suddenly learned to tell it like it is.’

‘ I could never have done any of this if you didn’t accept me and guide and support me. I’d have been a laughing stock and probably unemployed.’

‘Sis I only did what I felt was right. This is the real you not the person who never spoke to me except to complain or to ask me to move out of the way of the TV. I found the sister that I always wanted and somebody to laugh and joke with.’

‘Do you think mum and dad will get back together.’

‘Hard to say but mum has changed a lot too this last week and now if I was betting your money I’d say there is a good chance.’

‘Thanks, everybody likes to use my money.’

‘Well I’m sorry, but I was only joking as you know.’

‘Well if I was betting my money, assuming I had some left, I’d bet on them giving it a try.’

‘Well sis if they do get back together I’ll treat you to a Spa weekend at a nice hotel.’

‘Ha Ha.’
‘Well I can always buy one from you. But at family discount rate.’

‘What about mum and Sally? What about Gary?’

‘Don’t you think after all these years we should spend some quality time together and talk about your situation? What about this weekend, it’s a great chance if we can arrange something near York and twist mums arm to come with us. Then we can arrange to meet dad.’

‘It’s too short notice. I’ve got plans.’

‘Come on, what plans? I’ll have a look. I’m prepared to ditch Gary for the weekend and I’m sure that Sally won’t mind since you’ve a lot to work out in your mind.’

‘Julie it’s a great temptation but I shouldn’t take such a risk. What if somebody realized who I really was.’

‘Oh who are you then? Chris or Chrissy?’

‘I’m, I’m mm me. Chrissy I suppose.’

‘Oh at last you realize you are who you want to be and not who people expect you to be. It’s not like you’ll be running around naked all the time’

‘ That’s even worse then’

‘Why?’

‘Well I was going to say I’d got nothing to wear, but it wouldn’t matter.’

‘Ha,Ha’

‘OK maybe it’s a good idea. I’ll see if I get the vouchers.’

‘Come on we are going anyway. Are you going to call dad and tell him the news?’

I wanted to call him there and then but I thought I’d just be certain mum was still OK to meet him. Then I thought no. The way forward is to make arrangements for them and then give them no choice.

Julie was straight on the case and shot off to her computer to look at options in North Yorkshire. I went to help mum in the kitchen and she was quick to put her arm around my waist.

‘Chris, I’m so proud of you and what you just said was the truth. I have let this all go on too long and I should have stood by dad when mum was nasty to him. Whatever had happened he stood up like a man when many would have run away.’

‘Mum I can only say that if I was in your shoes at that time I don’t know what I’d have done. I probably would have crumbled and then what would have happened to me? I’d have ended up like poor Jessica. Abandoned and feeling unwanted. I’m starting to realize now what a hard time she must have had. How must she have felt. How would I have felt if dad left you and you and Gran were so upset that I was taken into care.’

‘Chris that would never have happened. Never in this wide world.’

‘Mum say it easy. Surely dad helped you and Gran and whether it was guilt or love I don’t care since I am who I am because he had that courage even if I’m mixed up just now. I love him mum and so does Julie.’

‘I love him too.’
Julie came in with her laptop. ‘Come on you two what’s for tea I’m starving.’

‘OK OK I’m making Spag Bol. Do you want to open me some red wine for the sauce?’

‘ Aw mum I have to do everything. I’m trying to book a hotel here.’

I opened the wine and Julie just smiled. ‘I’ve found a great place. It’s very romantic and it does pampering/spa weekends. I don’t care if your voucher is applicable or not I think this is the place for the Taylor family. It’s a luxury castle hotel in North Yorkshire and its not that far from York.’

It looked fabulous with 200 acres of gardens and a wonderful restaurant that had a view over the gardens. ‘Do you think we should book a double room for mum and dad?’

‘No way do you want to scare her off. She’ll have to creek the floorboards like any other new couple.’

Julie showed me the Indulgence package that was was for half a day. It had 60 minutes in the spa and a therapist to look after us whilst we had a mini facial and a full body massage using hot and cold stones. Then a mud wrap followed by toning with nourishing cream.’

‘Wow it sounds fantastic.’

Then reality set in. ‘There is no way I can do that. I aren’t a woman, I’m a man.’
‘Who says you can’t. Men and women can book.’

‘Come on Julie I can’t check in like this and then expect them to find a man in the spa room. Surely there is segregation.’

‘Come on Julie be positive. We’ll work it out. Let’s do it. Who dares wins afterall.’
‘OK if we want mum to meet dad I have to have the courage to do this.’

‘Good cos I’ve just phoned and booked it anyway. They only had 2 places left for the indulgence break. Plenty of rooms available though. Some wedding or other was cancelled.’

‘Julie you scare me sometimes. You are very impulsive. You just did it.’

‘Oh and you aren’t then. We make great sisters don’t we?’

Mum turned and said. ‘What are you two cooking up?’

‘We just booked a Spa weekend together so we can relax together and chat so I can make up my mind.’

‘Oh that’s so sweet. What a nice idea.’

‘Yes mum it is and the good news is that you are coming too.’

‘Oh no I’m not young lady, mm young man, I’m too old to be frolicking around semi naked.’
‘Mum you don’t have to we just booked you for the special weekend break.’

‘But what about Gran?’

‘Mum she can manage with her carer for a couple of days surely. Besides it’s a nice place for the four of us to spend the quality time I mentioned.’

‘Oh no Chris you aren’t setting me up. I might meet your dad but that’s all’

‘Too late it’s booked. Dad is in York anyway so why not?’

‘Chris it’s too soon.’

‘Too soon it’s seven years at least.’

‘Chris please. I don’t think I can face him like this.’

‘Mum how do you think I felt when Darren Harper arranged for me to meet him. Last week after lunch in Manchester when he didn’t know I was dressing like this?’

‘But that’s different Chris.’

‘Mum I just thought to myself that I loved him and I wanted him to love me. I was still me and I didn’t have two heads or three legs. I’d just grown up a bit and changed my appearance. Inside it was still me. I hoped he would accept me and he did without hesitation.’

‘Have you arranged anything with him?’

‘Not yet but if you agree then I will be very happy to call him’

‘OK but if he doesn’t want to come then it’s fine. Don’t beg him.’

‘Mum wild horses won’t stop him I’m sure.’

‘Well hurry up then since I’m putting the pasta in the pan so you have less than 10 minutes.’

I didn’t need 10 minutes. He was delighted and said that he would cancel his hotel in York for Saturday night and would be at a dinner on Friday night but available after breakfast on Saturday. Within 5 minutes Julie had confirmed the reservations and I was pouring the wine.

Then Sally came in and said my mobile phone had been ringing.

It was James. What did he want now?

To be continued………

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That Hotel

Jules
You are close and that hotel is very similar. I stayed there too and i hope you liked it. The hotel in the story is further North in Masham.
This talk makes it seem like its not real fiction.
Thanks for posting.
Julie

Jules

How annoying would that be...

Andrea Lena's picture

...Sally having to tell Chrissy that James is on the line. I hope it's to say that he's leaving for a trip around the world, and that he won't be back until the story is over? That he's gay and only likes men? That he's straight and he doesn't like women, but that he thinks the world of her as a sister? No matter what, if I were Sally, I'd certainly feel uneasy right now. Maybe Julie has already talked to her and she's okay, but I feel bad for her. Another mom moment between me and someone's character. Since Julie has taken the best of care with her 'children,' I'm sure that Sally will turn out just fine, but I can't help but watch the rest of this part of the story with my eyes covered. Thank you, Julie.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

your comments

Jules
are always appreciated. I do like you in blue by the way. Not to say green is not OK but I think Chrissy would like her mum to look like you in blue. I think Chrissy has become more confident with each chapter and Sally seems to have become part of the family don't you think. We haven't even got to the wedding yet that started all this off.
It's been the longest two weeks of my life trying to get a life.
I hope you will continue to like this story that was anticipated to be no more than 5 chapters. I don't know how you do it posting so many nice stories and poems. I suppose it's because it's such a nice experience.
Hugs
Julie

Jules

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 58

What other complications are you going to create for them?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You spoil us!

Two updates within 24 hours :)

So it looks as though the planning for "reunite mum and dad" has gone without a hitch - let's hope that up in Yorkshire they go at least some of the way towards reconciliation. As for Chrissy's decision, pretty much the rest of the cast have a pretty good idea of what it will be, but it's probably better for Chrissy to handle it like she is - consult all the stakeholders in her life for their opinions, then evaluate her life to date, and make an informed decision

Then, in the weeks ahead, I'd assume Jessica's transfer won't be immediate, so no doubt Chrissy will try and find out more about her before the transfer date and try working her magic on her. As has already been suspected, Jessica's current post is too demanding, but she's been so absorbed in it and trying to keep her head above water that she's taken her stress and anger out on everyone else. Hopefully once she has been transferred, particularly if the branch isn't too far away, she'll start to mellow - and may even realise how horrible she was to her former colleagues. However, from an authorship perspective, it could be quite challenging maintaining that as a secondary storyline unless somehow Chrissy kept in contact with her, either directly or through updates from others, since the story is told from Chrissy's perspective.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I was feeling good so I posted the next chapter

Jules
I do enjoy that you challenge the storyline in case it becomes too predictable. Well that's my guess. But Stan thinks more complications to come and you conclude everything is going without a hitch for mum and dad.
I'll just take a peak to chapter 60. Oh oh I couldn't find it so where did I put it?
I do like your summaries. I am nervous when I start reading and close my eyes in case I went too far astray or made a mistake.
But then afterwards, so far at least, I feel like I felt when I took exams at school. I just just seemed to scrape through each time.
I hope I can maintain your interest but in just case I'd better adjust chapter 60 a bit and bring back Jessica from check-out duty at the supermarket.
Thanks so much.
Julie

Jules

Will the family finally get together?

Ole Ulfson's picture

Not in the next few chapters I'd guess. I;m sure there are still problems to sort or create.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

At last!

We get to find out what happened to James.