Tamara's Trials - Chapter 1 "Reputations"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part One

 

"Reputations"

 
This is the third book in the Tommy & Tamara Series. It is strongly advised that you read the previous books first.
 
 
 
Friday 9th January 2015
 
Tammy actually made it to Friday afternoon, once she was back at school, before the first real incident happened. Of course there had been times when some of the younger years, and even juvenile-acting sixth formers, had tried a number of things to wind Tammy up but she hadn't overtly reacted, other than to make a note of names.

By agreement, the prefects used a 'three strikes' system for minor offences like shoving in the corridors, insolence to prefects and general misbehaviour. Once the three offences had been reached a report would go to the relevant form tutor. Of course, major infractions were dealt with immediately.

Tammy had, however, felt it necessary to deal immediately with one twelve year old who had asked Angela Small that morning if "he was in a skirt as a joke?". Unfortunately, for Tammy, that particular twelve year old had his parents in the school that day, who had demanded to see someone senior.

"What do you mean I was in the wrong?"

"Smart, you were wrong, that is the end of the matter."

"Miss Stewart, Thwaites was impertinent and was deliberately flouting the school's non-discrimination policy."

"That isn't a policy, it's a guideline. Your intervention was inappropriate."

"That's rubbish."

"That is insolence."

"No, it was a statement of fact."

"Now you are being sarcastic. You will report here tomorrow morning at nine for detention."

"I will not!"

"That's now every Saturday in January."

Tammy stormed out of Yvonne Stewart's room. She'd anticipated an eventual show-down but had been desperately avoiding issues that might bring her to the new Deputy Head's office. Yvonne hadn't even called her 'Miss Smart', just Smart. This was contrary to the accepted protocol whereby all sixth formers normally gained the title of 'Mr' or more recently 'Miss'.

She went straight to the sixth form common room and flopped into a chair, absent-mindedly playing with her brooch. She couldn't understand the Deputy Head's logic - presumably the parent had complained to her or one of the other teachers but the procedure for such behaviour is simply being reported to their tutor, who then decides on a suitable punishment.

What grounds did the parent have? Why did Yvonne Stewart accept their appeal so readily?

Did Tammy have a choice right now? She was due to work with Sarah on Saturday morning and, the following weekend, was also booked in at the salon. If she refused to report for detention then she was putting herself at risk of suspension, despite her original offence being based on a false premise. Such was the system at St Andrews School in Thurso.

She'd been pulled out of the last period of the day and couldn't face going going back in for the last twenty minutes. John Hibbert found her when the English class finished.

"What's going on, Tammy?"

"That bloody woman."

"Miss Stewart?"

"Yes."

"Well, what did you do?"

"Nothing, that's the problem. Remember Thwaites?"

"Yes, I was a witness, remember?"

"And I reported it. Anyway, she pulls me in and tell's me I was wrong."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"So I argued and she gives me detention for every Saturday this month."

"That's not fair at all."

"Don't I know it."

Angela and one or two others now came into the common room, finding John giving Tammy a hug. Given that both were prefects the audience were quite restrained.

"Thanks John."

"No problem, just don't tell Tanya."

"I won't."

"What do I do however?"

"Go to one of the other Deputy Heads, like Mr Thompson?"

"No good, they won't interfere."

"Then the Head?"

"Whose side will he take? She can manipulate the truth and make it worse for me."

"Oh."

"I'll have to think of something fast or be here at nine in the morning instead of working in town."

"Tammy, we have appointments at Dunbar hospital."

"I'd forgotten, what's the time Angela?"

"Three ten."

"Damn."

They dashed to their lockers, swapped shoes and grabbed coats before making for the main entrance as speedily as possible in heeled boots on polished floors. Joan, Angela's mum, was waiting outside.

"Tammy what's wrong?"

"I'll tell you later, we have hospital appointments in fifteen minutes."

Whilst both of the girls were due to see Helen Yates, the endocrinologist at Thurso Hospital, Angela first had an appointment with the local shrink, Dr Jill Davison, accompanied by her mother. Tammy left them outside Psychiatry and walked to her own appointment.

"Hello Tammy."

"Hi Dr Yates."

"So you met my brother and sister-in-law?"

"Yes, at Wick airport. Small world isn't it?"

"Yes, anyway I had a note from Professor Roberts to say you were now on HRT."

"We went to see him when we returned from the London trip. His decision was a surprise to me, I hadn't expected it so quickly."

"Your blood works dictated that we had to do something, it was either that or testosterone," she laughed.

"Okay, but why am I here today?"

"I'm starting a rolling programme of monthly tests which you'll do at your GP surgery and I want you to take this letter so they understand what's going on. However I'll do a full blood screening today as a baseline. You've been on HRT a month so far, haven't you?"

"Yes, I was expecting something to happen by now."

"It takes time, things are only just getting going and I wouldn't expect any visible changes for a few more months, or even longer. At least you're not on blockers too."

"Yeah, but I am getting mood swings."

"That might be down to your underlying physiology and not the pills."

"Maybe, but then what do I know?"

"You have't been to medical school like most of my patients? They apparently know better than me."

Tammy giggled.

"Now, Miss Smart, take that jacket off and give me your left arm, please."

***

"How was the appointment?"

"Not bad, Dad, the vampires only needed five phials of my red stuff."

"So why the long face?"

"Yvonne."

"Oh."

Tammy recounted the afternoon's events to her father. "It's too soon, Tammy, too soon."

Over the past few days they had been busy, very busy. Louise, their close protection agent and investigator, had been making enquiries into the newly appointed Deputy Head but it was proving difficult to corroborate some of the information.

There were second and third hand reports from former students of Yvonne Stewart of her teaching and disciplinary methods but none were prepared to put this in writing, in case she could still ruin their lives.

Louise had made gentle enquiries of the conference centres and hotels used by one of the teaching unions, given that Yvonne was a union representative and rumours abounded of affairs with other, married, union officials.

It had been confirmed that George Small, the late father of Angela Small, had been a union rep for many of the teaching staff at St Andrews and his widow, Joan, attested to his conference trips which often required overnight stays.

The running theory was that Yvonne had been having an affair with George Small. Of course, they still had to gather sufficient usable evidence to confirm this hypothesis. The circumstantial evidence, was, circumstantial.

One thing was clear, Yvonne Stewart did not like Tamara Smart. This had manifested itself in several ways since late December but the incident in school was the first that placed Yvonne and Tammy face to face without witnesses.

Louise asked Tammy for her brooch. This contained a camera and microphone and recorded onto a small memory card. One problem was that students were not permitted to record anything in the school unless explicitly allowed.

Richard Smart had, however, suggested to Harry Davison that Tammy wear a camera for the first week or so in case of difficulties with fellow students, given that a problem might be seen as Tammy's word against another's.

Harry Davison, Chairman of the Governing Body, had agreed for the short term permission as an alternative to Louise being in the school. He was fully aware of the threats against Tammy over the previous few weeks which had included attempted abductions, assaults and threats. One of her aggressors had been George Small and another had been the school's former catering manager. Then there were the terrorists, all of whom were hopefully locked up.

Plainly Dr McIntosh, the Head, and one or two other Governors had been informed but it had been kept from the staff so that the students were not aware; one risk was that other students would demand the same rights. The standard CCTV in the school covered the perimeter, entrance hall, kitchens as well as a few other locations and was deemed adequate for site security.

Despite initial reservations, Richard's intention was now to gather sufficient evidence to be able to petition the head, if necessary, dismiss the latest member of staff. One incident that had managed to sway his mind had occurred at George Small's funeral.

During the service, when the Minister had said that "George leaves a loving wife and two daughters," there were shouts of "shame on you" from the back. Those responsible, however, had immediately left using an emergency exit.

Louise, who had travelled ahead of the funeral procession, had been in disguise at the crematorium. She had waited for Yvonne Stewart to arrive, along with a friend, and had sat alongside them. Yvonne had apparently been sobbing but had also been seen ready to make her interruption and had left, rather quickly, with a smile on her face. Louise followed Yvonne, and her friend, to a café in the centre of Inverness.

There was a risk that Yvonne had seen Louise in Thurso with Tammy so Louise had dyed and restyled her hair, changed her contacts and was dressed simply in leggings and a jumper dress, replacing more formal wear. She'd also worn a hat in the chapel, which was now in the boot of her car.

The previous Saturday, her car had been attacked whilst it was in a multi-storey carpark but police had since told her that several cars had tyres cut during that day, although most had made it home before realising there was a problem. Louise had not used the same carpark this time, however.

She walked into the café a few minutes behind Yvonne and took a table within listening range. Yvonne's friend, it seemed, was called Fiona and was well aware of Yvonne's 'conquests'. Given that the funeral had just taken place, most of the talk concerned George Small.

"He was a good man, Fiona, but misunderstood."
 
"You loved him."
 
"I did, and he knew it."
 
"But you said he wouldn't leave his wife?"
 
"When his boy was brainwashed he was ready to come to me."
 
"Why did his wife allow it?"
 
"She was being coerced, led along, by that nancy Tom and his father. The truth will have to come out in the end."
 
"Yvonne, did George ever stay in your flat?"
 
"Just twice, both because of the weather. The first time was at Easter last year when we were coming back from the Spring conference in Edinburgh. There were high winds and the line was closed. The second time was when he was coming back from England and he needed somewhere to stay."

Louise now knew enough of the background to this case; George has been seen in Inverness Station but had then disappeared, next being seen at the Mill Theatre in Thurso the following evening. On that occasion he thought he was attacking Tammy but, confused due to the stage costumes and heavy make-up, had grabbed the co-star Tanya Smith and pulled her off the stage.

He was immediately arrested but took his own life whilst in police custody. It was clear where her venom was coming from but was there enough real evidence yet?

Louise wanted to hang around longer but Yvonne and Fiona had finished their drinks and Louise didn't want to attract attention so left. She went into Inverness Public Library first where she could sit and write up her report, emailing it to Richard Smart, before driving back to Thurso.

Richard hadn't been able to speak to Elsie McPherson, another Governor and owner of the property where the Smarts currently lived, until Friday evening after dinner. One complication was that Yvonne was the sister of Elsie's son-in-law. Richard therefore took this carefully.

"Do you remember that shouting in the chapel at the funeral service?"

"Yes, do you know who it was?"

"Yvonne and her friend Fiona."

"Richard, that's a very poor joke."

"No joke, Louise followed them."

"Why?"

"There was a suggestion that Yvonne had been having an affair with George Small right up until his death."

"Proof?"

"Working on it, but I have Louise's reports. It's clear to all that Yvonne doesn't like Tammy and we now have a reason."

"That's an exaggeration Richard."

"Elsie, I wouldn't say it unless it were true."

"I'll say again, what proof do you have?"

"Let me ask you something first, who signs off the policy changes?"

"Harry does, of course, but I chair the relevant sub-committee."

"Right, and the non-discrimination policy?"

"Technically it's an Inclusion policy these days, we reviewed it at the same meeting that Tammy and Angela were allowed to return as day students, in line with current UK and EU legislation."

"Quite, I've seen the minutes of that meeting. Anyway, let me show you a video."

***

Even without this trouble, Elsie was not having an easy life right now. She'd been diagnosed with breast cancer a month earlier and had spent much of the week in Inverness at the Raigmore Hospital having surgery for a radical mastectomy and reconstruction. She'd returned to Thurso that day but had stayed with her daughter before returning to her own home after dinner.

"Damn, Richard, that's not what the camera was intended for."

"I know, and it creates a new problem."

"Yes, Yvonne would not have known she was being recorded."

"Exactly."

"So the video cannot be used as evidence, but that doesn't stop us viewing it. Can you copy it onto my computer?"

"Certainly."

Richard did as asked then left Elsie alone in the study. She was due to start some chemotherapy in about a week unless all the the biopsies were confirmed to be clear of cancerous cells. The surgery had left her tired and sore but the chemo, if deemed necessary, would zap any remaining energy. She'd find out if it was necessary on Tuesday when she was back at The Raigmore to see her oncologist.

He went up to Tammy's room and knocked gently.

"Come in, Dad."

"How did you know it was me?"

"I heard your feet outside."

"Oh well, so much for stealth."

"Never mind, it does give me the upper hand though! What did Elsie say?"

"She's surprised and ideally I wouldn't ask her to handle this right now."

"I haven't spoken to her yet, why wasn't I told she was going into surgery the same time as I started classes on Tuesday?"

"Because you would have worried all day. That would have distracted you and you don't need that at the moment."

"I don't need this other stuff either. What am I going to do?"

"Elsie is probably talking to the Head right now but you should let Sarah know you may not be there tomorrow."

"Can't I do that in the morning?"

"No, she deserves to know now, that way she could ask Angela to help her."

Angela had worked in Sarah's Boutique over the New Year period but hadn't intended to help during the quieter period once the sales finished.

"I suppose so, I'll let Angela know too."

"Good idea."

"Dad, we can't use the video can we?"

"I don't think so."

The changed the topic. "Do we know what happened to John?"

The John who Tammy referred to was John McPherson, Elsie's eldest son. He was in prison waiting for a court date after assaulting Tammy, going equipped to wound and breaking bail conditions.

"He was in court yesterday and remanded until 26 Jan when his case will be held."

"Will I be needed in court?"

"We'll have to see, but there should be enough evidence, especially from the theatre and when he turned up at the shop and hotel looking for you."

"Yeah, shame I was with a police officer and his wife that lunchtime!"

"Quite."

Richard left Tammy to her homework and headed for his own room.

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Seems to me....

D. Eden's picture

That if they had approval to use the recorder to gather video in the event of Tammy being attacked, then that approval should cover any other incidents as well.

It's cutting a pretty fine line to state that the video is only usable part of the time.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The recording should be admissible.

WillowD's picture

The school authorized Tammy to wear the broach and make the recordings. They did not say that the recordings could only be used for incriminating students. I would say the recording is admissible.

I'm afraid

littlerocksilver's picture

... I don't understand why the video is not admissible. What's the use in cctv if it can't be used to monitor for criminal activities, i.e. disturbing the peace.

Portia

Personaly I think..!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I wonder what Tammy will decide to do. Personally, I think Tammy should have restated she would not go when the detention was extended. But maybe that is just me.

In fact I did just that when given an unfair detention in high school my self. I refused to go and told the school they would either have to drop it or expel me. In fact I insisted the teacher be investigated because he was doing this to other students. And my parents backed me, then again they knew I would never back down on such an issue.

Probably because of a previous incident. I was expelled in forth grade upon a repeat incident of striking a teacher back when she struck me, not for misbehaving but simply for getting answer wrong. I refused to take any punishment for it and insisted I would do it again if she did it again. I would not back down because I knew I was right and that was that.

I can be really stubborn when I am sure I am right,
and consequences be dammed.
*giggles*
~Hypatia >i< ..::

recordings

Dunno what the law is on recordings in the UK but generally it favours the miscreant and most of them know the rules by heart and use it to get away with allsorts of things. If you put CCTV on your property you cant have it pointing where it becomes spying on your neighbours, one recent event on the news showed two known criminal women stealing newly laid turf from a front lawn in full detail with their car registration visible and the cops said there was insufficient evidence??????

unfair teachers

I had a few growing up. even if I got beat up, somehow it was my fault ...

DogSig.png

Tribulations Too

joannebarbarella's picture

It looks as if our esteemed authoress is going to give Tammy a really hard time. As well as this evil woman she's also got the despicable John's trial to look forward to in a few weeks.....and what then?

And yet,

Yvonne has lost one of her major patrons. That, by itself, is worth something.

Misunderstood? Huh?

Jamie Lee's picture

So other car tires were slashed to make it look like vandalism. Were cars on other levels damaged or just the ones on the level where Louise parked. Again, as long as they weren't seen, every tire in that car park would have been slashed.

Louise witnessing Yvonne shout during the funeral can't be easily dismissed. No matter how hard Elsie wants to try. They also can't dismiss what was captured on the video. Maybe it can't be used in court, but it can be used at the school.

Elsie doesn't need another problem piled on top of her cancer diagnosis, and surgery. She needs to recover from the surgery and find out whether chemo will be necessary.

What's this garbage George was misunderstood? How was a control freak misunderstood? How was a man who was trying to ruin his sons' life misunderstood? How was a man who should never have been in education misunderstood? Just what was George trying to accomplish? One of the ladies mentioned brainwashing Tim. Why, what was his goal? Building self doubt in Tim? Make Tim dependent for others to make decisions for him? Tammy sees something of that right now, something Jill needs to work with Angela to over come.

Tammy is in a battle she's never fought before. She won't solve it by butting heads with Yvonne. She'll have to out think her and use that woman's anger to get her to explode in view of the entire student body.

Others have feelings too.