Tamara's Trials - Chapter 14 "Theatres"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fourteen

 

"Theatres"

 

 
Saturday 24th January
 

"Hi Sarah."

"Hello Tammy, I think we need to talk about a few things."

"I can guess and I have a few ideas."

"Good, how about putting the kettle on first."

The previous weekend and indeed the whole week had been quiet but it appeared that many of Thurso's residents had read the business pages in the Thurso Echo, as well as the front page. The enquiries started promptly at nine o'clock with Tammy and Sarah handling everyone between them. They had, thankfully, just enough time to agree a what to say, in case one or two folks asked.

One of the main objectives, naturally, was to persuade them to shop and not just to ask questions. A left-over from the sales was a bargain bin in the centre of the shop floor, which Tammy was restocking every hour or so. These were end-of-line items bought cheaply and sold with a carefully adjusted discount.

By eleven they had seemingly advised the majority of the female population of Thurso when Tammy suddenly realised she was supposed to be at the theatre for rehearsals.

"Didn't you get an email?"

"No, but I haven't checked them for a few days."

"Ian moved today's rehearsal to one o'clock as he has to work this morning."

"Oh, that means my driving lesson can't happen."

"Phone them up and see if you can move the time?"

"It's not like that, Dad was going to let me toddle around the estate roads providing I was free by two. We haven't booked any lessons yet as I would only get Sunday daytime free."

"I see your point, can you put the kettle on, Tammy." The British solution to all problems is a cup of tea.

Whilst Tammy was out the back making two mugs of tea, she heard the shop door open and close, but couldn't hear Sarah talking to anyone. A minute or so later she carried the teas to the shop counter, spotting someone, maybe fifteen or sixteen in leggings and a hooded fleece jacket, looking through a shelf of tops.

"Here you go, Sarah, one cuppa."

"Thanks Tammy."

The customer's head turned suddenly when Sarah spoke, they dropped the top they were holding and fled the shop.

"Was it something we said?"

"No Tammy, but I think he recognised you."

"He?"

"Yes, came in for the first time after you went to get your hair done last Saturday. I had a closer look then; he wasn't wearing any make-up and the only item of female clothing I could see were the leggings."

"A name?"

"No, he's not even spoken to me."

"How certain came you be that 'he' is male?"

"The St Andrews sticker on their bag?"

"Oh."

"Are you aware of any other transgendered kids there?"

"Apart from me and Angela, you mean? No, not exactly but I have my suspicions about one boy. Hold on a minute."

Tammy took her phone from her bag and called the school. Julianne Sutherland had obviously drawn the Saturday shift.

"Hi it's Tammy Smart, can you check the minibus lists for me?"

"Hello Miss Smart, why?"

"I want to check if someone is in town today as I might have seen them."

"Who?"

"Jenkins."

"Yes, Ryan Jenkins was on the ten o'clock minibus."

"Thank you." Tammy hung up before any more was said.

"So Tammy, do you have a name?"

"Maybe, but seeing how I don't know what the lad looks like in school, it would be difficult for me to swear in court it was the same person who I barely saw in here."

"I see your point."

"Look, while it's quiet can we talk about what we're going to do here?" Tammy swept her arm around the shop.

"I guess your Dad has told you everything?"

"Probably, I must say I was surprised when he said I was buying the new shop."

"That's the first I've heard of it."

"Dad thought it would be a good idea for me to start a property portfolio up here and the new shop is a start."

"Right, he did say something on the phone yesterday about the rent going to TSP Ltd."

"That will probably be the trading name of Tamara Smart Property."

"Oh. Can you afford it?"

"Yes, I had half a mil to play with once the London house was sold, but some of that's allocated to other projects."

"I hope we're not going to fall out over something silly, Tammy."

"I'm not planning on being an awful landlord and Dad will sort out the legal stuff for me this time."

"Fine, what has he decided to do about the flat above the shop?"

"A flat as well?"

"Yes, but I haven't seen it. There's a separate entrance for the flat, of course."

"Okay, I'll talk to Dad about the flat. What timescale are you looking at for the move?"

"Until the electrics have been checked, the walls painted and a new floor put down there's not much I can do. Most of the shelving and displays in here are fixed to the walls and need replacing. I'd need to get new display equipment delivered and installed. Don't forget a phone line and internet either. That's three weeks give or take."

"So three weeks takes us to St Valentine's Day."

"I can't be closed that day and not in the middle of moving either."

"That's also the start of half-term so I'm available for a few days."

"How about we close on St Valentines Day afternoon and have a mini stock clearout? We re-open next door whichever day everything's ready."

"Okay, but you'll want coverage in the local newspaper so an official opening has to be held by Thursday for that week's rag."

"Official opening? What's wrong with just turning around the sign on the door?"

"Publicity, Sarah."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, also if we bring someone from the clothes manufacturer here, they can launch the fashion show publicity at the same time."

"Tammy, who's going to organise this?"

"I will, if you want me to?"

"Okay, but no rash decisions without referring to me, please."

"Yes boss."

Sarah had her laptop in the shop so Tammy had a go at designing a few posters for the window. The first one was the the 'one day clearance event' on Valentines Day. That would go up on the windows a few days beforehand so wasn't to be used right now. The next one was to answer two or three questions so there would be copies in the windows, in the changing room, behind the counter and anywhere else the eye might land.

She only had a mono printer in the shop so left the poster so Sarah could print it at home but emailed a copy to herself first.

"Will this one do for the window?"

Sarah's Boutique sign

"That's fine for now, but I'll see what I can do. What are you doing for lunch?"

"I don't know, we would have been finished at the theatre by one and I now I have an hour before we start rehearsals."

"Well, give Tanya a call and see what she's doing? After all, she's in the same boat as you and probably wants to get out of the salon right now."

Sarah wasn't far wrong, Tammy heard Tanya frantically explaining to her mum, Sandy, that she'd agreed to meet with Tammy before they went to the theatre so she could drop off her bag.

Bag? Oh bugger, the sleepover.

Tammy tried her father but his phone wasn't being answered so she rang the house number.

"McPherson household."

"Hello Thomas, this is Tamara Smart."

"Yes Miss Smart, how can I help you?"

"I've just been reminded that I invited a friend to stay tonight, could a bed be made available and we'll have a guest for dinner too."

"Is Madam McPherson aware?"

"I'm not sure, Thomas. Is my father at home?"

"I believe he is in the swimming pool, Miss Smart."

"Okay, thank you. I'll deal with any problems when I get back around five o'clock."

She hung up before the butler could chastise her. With impeccable timing, Tanya burst through the door.

"What about this rumour then, Tammy?"

"What rumour?"

"That the shop's being renamed Tammy's Boutique."

Tammy looked at Sarah who shook her head.

"Tanya, where did this come from as I fancy calling my solicitor right now?"

"Calm down, I was winding you up." Tanya ducked as Tammy's hand missed her head by an inch.

"I said calm down, not attack me!"

"Seriously, Tanya, what have you heard?"

"Only what was in the paper, what do you know about the fashion show?"

"A few bits."

Sarah laughed, "Tanya, did you want to be a model?"

"Well, no harm in asking is there? Do you know who to contact?"

Sarah pointed at Tammy, who was trying to keep a straight face.

"Ah, so Tammy knows?"

"No, Tanya, Tammy is the contact."

"Oh Tammy, I'm sorry for winding you up, I'll make it up to you; I'll do anything except lend you my fiancé."

"Can it Tanya, how long have we got?"

"We need to be at the theatre in just over thirty, why?"

"I need to submit your information to Penelope Lane, I need a photo too."

"Penny Lane? Like the Beatles track?"

"Yeah, now can you stand there with your mouth shut for a few seconds while I take a photo? Thank you, what are your measurements?"

***

How to deal with Tanya's overnight bag was a concern. Sarah hadn't decided what time she would close the shop but knew it wouldn't be long after four, so they couldn't leave the bag there. They also didn't want to take it to the theatre as the stage door would be unlocked throughout the rehearsals and anyone could walk in.

In the end they went to see the barman at the Castletown Hotel who put Tanya's case in the manager's office, earning him a kiss from Tammy for his effort.

They made it to the theatre with a few minutes to spare, meeting up with the rest of the crowd. John declared that he hadn't fancied waiting in the salon again so had left it until late before getting into town, of course he and Tanya needed a moment or six with each other. Mark looked good, Tammy was hearing reports that Michael's arm was healing well thanks to the hospital and his heart was much better, thanks to Tammy's intervention a week earlier.

Josie Richardson was looking a little lost so Tammy called her over. Angela, however, did not look very happy.

"What's up?"

"Jill rang then Mum and I had a row last night, about you-know-what."

"Look, lots more will come out at the inquest on Monday but don't say anything to anyone, please, things could get very awkward."

"That's all right for you to say?"

There was a noise from behind Tammy, she turned to find Iain Brown, the play's director, waiting for conversations to end, would he require another bucket of water to separate the engaged couple?

"Good afternoon everyone, I'm sorry about the change of plan but I was asked to work this morning on an important case. Anyway, I'd like us to do a read through, could you pull your chairs into a wide circle, please."

It was clear early on who had read the script over the previous week and who had just paid lip service. Iain was giving them some leeway as this was the first session but he made it clear what was expected.

"If you do not know your part by next Saturday morning then don't bother coming back. If reading's not your strongest suit then check youtube for the play, even the animated versions. However you do it, learn and become the character otherwise you'll waste your time here next week. Right, Act one, Scene one everybody, let's start from the beginning."

They went through the play three times before Iain broke the group up so the witches could rehearse together, repeating their chants more often than could be achieved thus far. He then helped several of the other actors to understand their characters, including one who had never heard of the Scottish play.

"Please don't treat me for a fool. I've already had a bad day at working sorting out an investigation with a very short timescale, and you're telling me that you've never heard of Macbeth?"

"No, and I don't know why I bothered as I thought it was a comedy."

Iain laughed. "So you didn't even bother to check it out using that device you're so fond of playing with?"

"I'm keeping in touch with folks."

"Good, the stage door is that way, close it on your way out." Iain pointed, but it really wasn't needed as the lad trudged off. He part was the Doctor so that needed to be recast. Tammy wondered how the boy, Yusuf, got the part in the first place.

"He knew the lady really well."

"Which lady, Josie?"

"The one who did the auditions last week, I heard her say that she was glad he decided to come along."

"But Sandy wouldn't compromise or show any favouritism? I'm sure she wouldn't."

"Well, something's not right."

"Plainly."

Iain decided to take control back of an increasingly noisy stage. "Everyone, we now need to recast the part of the Doctor. It's not a high profile part but it is important nevertheless. Any suggestions?"

Tammy answered, "Iain, I believe James Hunter might be willing as he's ended up with the Doctor's part in our school production. John will have his number."

"Thank you Tammy." He turned to address the cast, "perhaps we'll call it a day? Nine o'clock next Saturday please."

It was dark when they left the theatre and the temperature was dropping rapidly. John was going to catch the five o'clock minibus and decided a long kiss with Tanya would fill the time.

"Guys, I have a plan and we've got half an hour before the bus, right?"

She led them to the hotel and ordered three hot chocs from the barman. They found a corner away from the door and made themselves comfortable.

"What's this plan, Tammy?"

"Well, you know the school bus drivers are always happy to drop me off at the McPhersons house?"

"The bus drivers are okay but you should hear what the kids say!"

"Well, it's likely to just be the three of us so why not Tanya you ride the bus with us, then your goodnight kiss is virtually on the doorstep."

"So long as the bus driver doesn't leave me on the kerb."

"Don't worry, Tanya!"

As it turned out the bus driver didn't even query who anyone was but recognised Tammy once she spoke to request a stop at the McPherson house.

The ride took less than ten minutes but Tammy was getting impatient with the other two.

"Come on!"

Once inside the house Tanya was warned to put her phone on silent and refrain from checking it every thirty seconds. Leanne took Tanya's bag and led her to Tammy's room but indicated that Elsie wanted to see her.

Elsie was holding audience in the sitting room with a Cheshire Cat grin on her face.

"Ah, Tammy, do join us. Where's your friend?"

"She's upstairs. Had I forgotten to mention ...?"

"Yes, but her mother didn't forget."

Tanya's mother, Sandy Smith, had visited Elsie on Wednesday to style her hair, prior to Elsie's trip to Glasgow.

"How was the hospital, Elsie?"

"Fine, it was fine."

"Have they decided what they are going to do?"

"Well, yes, and they've done it too."

"Done what?"

"Fitted a stent into my coronary artery yesterday morning."

"Oh, was that necessary?"

"Yes, absolutely yes, and it's meant that I now have at least several good years left."

"That's really good news Elsie." Tammy went over to her to give Elsie a long hug.

Tanya had entered the sitting room so Tammy rapidly did the introductions. The twins were missing, but her father and Michael were sat there. Tanya had met Michael's boyfriend, Mark, the previous Saturday at the theatre. Michael was no longer wearing a sling and didn't appear to have any discomfort from his wounds.

When they'd met with Mark at the theatre a few hours earlier he hadn't said anything about his relationship with Michael and Tammy decided now was not the time to question Michael.

Dinner was called soon after, which had Tammy rushing to her room for a wee and a wash. There was a crowd there this evening, seven sat down to eat. Elsie's good mood was having a positive effect on everyone. There was plenty of wine on the table and Alison was busy telling everyone her tales of Elsie's trip to Glasgow's Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit.

"It was only meant to be a consultation but the surgeon took one look at Elsie and booked a theatre!"

up
416 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I certainly hope this play

I certainly hope this play and Tammy does not wind up with the same interference and interruptions the previous had when Tanya was attacked on the stage, and Tammy and Angela attacked as well in the theatre.

Did I Miss Something?

joannebarbarella's picture

That was a strange little episode with the boy Yusuf. Was somebody trying to sabotage the play?

I'm still wondering about that myself.

WillowD's picture

These stories have more twists and sidelines and interesting little tid bits than I remember seeing in any other story in a long time. This is awesome.

The Kudo thing is gone to Tea.

So I was doubly sure that I should comment. Very nice episode.

Gwen

That button

Podracer's picture

went invisible for me this morning - but fortunately was still there, just hiding so the vote worked.
Tammy's whirlwind life continues, good job she has such stamina. And that Yusuf? He's a furriner, right? Even the dimmest of phonebabies would have heard of the Scottish play.
The girls' existence at the school must by now have caused thoughts to stir in the backs of some young uneasy minds, so there may be another scared young thing joining Tammy's circle soon.

"Reach for the sun."

doh!

going in the shop in girls leggings where the first St Andrews boy/girl works showing the school crest and hoping not to get caught!!!!!. Great news for Elsie, long may she busybody everybody else's lives wherever possible.

A comedy? Really?

Jamie Lee's picture

Did Alison's words go in one ear and out the other? Didn't she advise Tammy to slow down? It seems she has only one speed, warp drive.

Because of everything she's trying to handle, she almost forgot about being at the theater or that Tanya was staying the night. There have been other instances of forgetfulness, a sure sign she's juggling to much.

Macbeth a comedy? Since when? A few others are comedies, but this one is so dark it makes night time look bright. How has Yusuf missed Macbeth in school to this point? A comedy? Yusuf thinking it a comedy is a comedy.

What wonderful news about Elsie having her heart problem properly dealt with. It would have made sense for the dooms day doctor to have referred her to a heart specialist to begin with, instead of ringing the death toll.

Others have feelings too.

More intrigue!

Tammy unexpectedly getting involved in business management and letting, a possible third trans St. Andrews student, a very suspicious audition (hopefully not connected to our Albanian "friends"!) and a very on-the-ball surgeon - whatever next?!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!