Tamara's Trials - Chapter 54 "Thursogate"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fifty Four

 

"Thursogate"

 

Friday 20th March (Continued)

Tammy left Dr Jill Davison's room and walked into the carpark, spotting a girl in school uniform on crutches with a heavy plaster cast up her left leg. She looked familiar but Tammy couldn't place her. She took her phone out of her bag to quickly send her father a text, it showed that Sophie had tried to call her.

"Hi Sophie, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier."

"That's okay, it's been a bit manic here as well."

"Where's 'here'?"

"I can't say, but we're not far from London.

"We?"

"I'm looking after someone, where are you now?"

"In the carpark of Thurso hospital."

"Right, in tomorrow's papers there will be a story called 'Thursogate' and your name will be in it."

"Shit."

"There was nothing we could do to stop it, but it does not link you to the Security Services as far as we know."

"That's a relief."

"For us as well."

"So what's the story?"

"Remember Yvonne Stewart?"

"I can't forget her, she had it in for me from the first day we met."

"We've linked her to the attempted abductions."

"Woh! That was before I met her."

"She used to rent out rooms at her house in Inverness but also had another property that we only recently found out about. That gang who came after you stayed at her place."

"So that's how they knew where I was staying and where I would have a morning coffee?"

"Yes, apparently she was contacted as she was a member of a group called 'Teachers against LGBT'. She gave them the help they needed."

"She also helped George Small?"

"Yes. We've charged her with some offences and she's on remand in prison under an assumed identity as certain people won't like her talking, but we think she'll have to be sectioned and sent to Broadmoor due to psychosis."

"Good riddance, I'd say."

"Yes, she's really bigoted and nothing can change that, it seems."

"So what else is there?"

"It's this relationship between the Cornish family and the Russians that's interesting. Your name comes up a second time as the owner of a flat."

"That was inevitable, it's a public record."

"Yes, anyway the Russians brought the drugs using their fishing fleet into one of the three harbours around Thurso whilst the Trethgarwyn family handled the local side. That created tension with an Inverness based gang who threatened to steal the drugs."

"That much I knew."

"Well the Russians decided the locals couldn't handle it so arranged for Jerry Trethgarwyn to supply the incendiary but Patrick Trethgarwyn phoned it in."

"Right."

"Between them they worked out that you were a risk to the operation and linked you to your mother's arrest, thinking you were also involved in criminal activities."

"I see, so were they trying to frighten us?"

"Yes, not kill you."

"Did Chris overhear any of this?"

"He did, because one of the options was to kill you and the rest of the family."

"What else did he hear?"

"That members of his own family were connected to the SVR, the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service."

"That's heavy stuff."

"Too right, we've been able to roll up an entire operation, including a Member of the European Parliament. That news should overshadow most of the coverage about yourself."

"So I should read tomorrow's papers!"

"And watch the evening news, it'll be the main BBC headline."

"I wonder if I shouldn't be out of Thurso right now?"

"We considered that option."

"Thanks."

"Under the circumstances, don't expect a lease for the flat for a while."

"Sure, but I don't want to put anyone else in there."

"Make it look like it's being prepped but don't do anything major."

"Okay."

"Look, there's more that the press haven't been leaked but that can wait a week or so."

"Thanks, Dad's just pulled up to collect me. Got to go, bye."

"Bye."

Tammy climbed in.

"Difficult call?"

"Yes, we need all of tomorrow's papers and record tonight's news, best get Channel 4 news and Newsnight as well as the two bulletins at Ten. O'clock."

"Why?"

"Thursogate."

"That sounds serious."

"It is, I have to call Elsie and the Head needs to be informed. Then Sarah, the hotel and a host of other people as tomorrow there will be a media circus in town."

"Oh dear. Write down what you can remember then we'll email it around,"

"Sure. I think it's even more important that I go away at Easter?"

"I'd agree, call Heather and let her know."

"I'll send her a text."

Tammy typed out a short message, promising to work out an ETA.

"We might need a chopper next Friday?"

"I'll arrange it, just let me know timings."

"Will do."

They pulled into the driveway, there was an unknown car sat out front. Richard asked Tammy to shut the main gate after opening the side gate so he could drive through.

Inside Tammy was met by a stranger.

"Hello, you must be Tammy."

"Yes, er?"

"Oh, I'm Pru Campbell, your PA."

"I didn't know anything about this?"

Richard had just arrived in the hallway.

"I see two have met."

"Dad, you didn't say anything about a PA."

"You knew I, we, needed one. I might just have forgotten that I'd been interviewing half the week."

"That's some forgetting."

"Why don't you dictate to Pru your telephone conversation, include almost everything then we'll edit it down for sending out."

"Everything? Some of it is ..... secret."

"Restricted more like. Pru has been cleared, Jennie arranged it."

"Oh."

"Look use the study, her laptop is in there. I'll get you a drink organised."

"Okay, Dad."

Tammy dictated the call, adding explanation where necessary. Pru's eyes opened a little when she heard of the threats, attacks and abduction attempts but she offered no opinion. She saved the file onto a portable drive that was sat on the desk.

"When I'm not here you can access all the files on this drive, it's connected to the network so you can use it from your room. You can password or encrypt folders if you wish."

"Okay. Now, I'd like you to book me a flight next Friday morning to Newquay in Cornwall with the least number of changes. We have a helicopter available to get us to Wick, Inverness, Aberdeen or Edinburgh if necessary. Angela and Mrs Small are flying into London City the same day so flights at similar times would be useful. I have an appointment in Glasgow two weeks later, it's in the shared diary."

"I'll get onto that now."

"What payment arrangements has Dad given you?"

"A credit card in the name of Smart Enterprises."

"That's the company formed to buy and run this house."

"So I understand."

"Okay Pru, thanks for that."

"No problem."

"What are your hours, by the way?"

"Monday to Friday eight thirty to five, unless I'm needed another time."

"Okay, so I should see you most afternoons."

"Yes."

Saturday 21st March

"Hi Heather."

"Hi Tammy, Sophie says she spoke to you."

"Yeah, how big is this story going to go? Drugs, murder, Russians, spies?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"I have the flight information for you."

"You're not taking the train?"

"No way! This way I can remain sane, I get into Newquay Airport at twenty to five next Friday."

"That's respectable, I had thoughts of a late train or even early the following morning."

"Only trouble, I have to be in Glasgow in the morning of the tenth so I'll have to leave the day before."

"Okay, what about your driving theory test?"

"Tuesday afternoon."

"Good, you're really going to enjoy this driving course."

"It's a shame I can't bring my car down!"

"It would take you days to drive each way, and days to recover. There'll be plenty of opportunities to drive when you get back."

"Sure. When's Sophie back?"

"I don't know, but you should see her at some point. It's just as well she's not here as we bought the adjacent cottage to expand this one, it also gives us another off-road parking space and a few more bedrooms. There's a bigger office too so I have some visitors this weekend rewiring the internet and phones."

"We had a PA start yesterday."

"I know."

"Is there anything you don't know?"

"That might give you an advantage, no no!"

"Okay, I'm in court on Monday."

"That's bad timing."

"That's what I thought. The press could be out in force? Angela's been summonsed too, she is not looking forward to it one bit."

"She was under eighteen at the time of the assault, that might help the Sheriff declare a closed court? I don't know Scottish law, I'm afraid."

"I'm vague about it too. Of course, if he pleads guilty to all the assaults and doesn't claim mitigating circumstances then I won't be needed?"

"That's flying porcine territory."

"Unfortunately, but I can hope!"

***

Tammy went directly to the theatre with Angela, dropped there by their mum. Iain Brown was present when they arrived but soon had a phone call that saw him heading for the carpark.

"Bloody press, how did they get hold of it?"

He stormed off, Tammy just smiled.

"Sis, how do I get the feeling you know more than you should - again?"

"It's not that, Sandy Franklin yesterday predicted he wouldn't be here because of an investigation so I thought she was wrong when I arrived, but she's been proven correct."

"Oh, maybe I was mistaken."

"Don't worry about it."

Sandy called the players together.

"We only have a few weeks left but the Easter holidays are between now and the opening night. Who's away?"

Several put their hands up, including Tammy and Angela.

"I see. We have no choice but to cancel the next two rehearsals but please all be here on the eleventh. We start full dress rehearsals on the eighteenth and there could be some evening rehearsals in the week before we open."

Nobody liked the idea of giving up their evenings but Angela, Tammy and Tanya had done that for West Side Story so just shrugged.

"Good, because I need full commitment from everyone. Unfortunately our Lady Macduff broke her ankle playing hockey yesterday."

Tammy looked at Tanya, who glared back. The outline of the corset could be seen under her baggy top.

"Fortunately, Tanya has been learning the part for another production and we know that the costume will fit her, so Tanya will play that part today. That leaves us with a missing witch, we do not have time for someone to learn the part outright so I'd like suggestions of anyone who you know could play the part with the minimum of fuss?"

"As you know Sandy, we're putting on a production of Macbeth next Thursday at St Andrews so one of our witches would be suitable."

"Are they all boys?"

That generated some giggling and laughing.

"Stop that, in Shakespeare's time women or girls were not allowed on the stage so all the female parts were played by men or boys, some of whom were castrati!" That stopped the noise.

"Thank you, Tammy, could you get one of the boys to contact me? I'll play the part today, you were the second witch weren't you?"

Tanya nodded.

"Okay, everybody, we have our lighting technician Jimmy with us today so he'll use this to put the lighting plan together. Positions!"

Tanya actually made a better Lady Macduff than a witch so that change worked well, someone would have to let Sarah know about the frock though.

***

Sandy handed Tammy a bag as they were preparing to leave, warning her to look after the items.

Josie walked with Tanya, John, Tammy and Angela back into town along the riverside. Tammy now noticed the printshop across the road and was treated to a wave from Tom the printer who was stood in the doorway.

"A boyfriend of yours?"

"No Josie, he got me out of a pickle yesterday when one of the teachers decided to be awkward."

"Likely story!"

"No, one of my teachers has a downer as his flatmate resigned because of me."

Tanya hadn't heard the story and Angela seemed a bit vague; Tammy explained the tale.

"Oh, so that's what Iain was talking about last week?" Josie had been paying attention.

"Yes, so we're organising ourselves in English now."

"That's cool."

"Not really, it had consequences but at least we're all adult enough not to take advantage of it."

Tanya coughed, "you mean like smuggling me into school and then onto the bus into town!"

Josie laughed, "I didn't think that kind of stuff went on in an exclusive school like St Andrews?"

"It doesn't, officially anyway. Anyway, Tanya, you're almost an employee there."

"Hey, I don't know who else has applied and I haven't had the formal interview yet."

"Almost there then!"

They crossed the bridge over the River Thurso, Josie waved and went on her way. Tanya and John now waved as they went towards the salon. That left Tammy and Angela, they stopped at the bakery to get a sandwich before reaching Sarah's Boutique.

"Hello girls, Angela can you straighten the storeroom and restock as necessary, Tammy can you take over here, I need a wee!"

Tammy had several customers waiting so shed her coat onto a chair behind the counter and got to it, Angela meanwhile was tidying the shop floor before heading for the storeroom.

It was an hour later, just after two, when things calmed down.

"Thanks girls, I was getting desperate. I hope it's not the same next weekend!"

"Sorry Sarah, but there's been a change of plans, we're both heading South for two weeks."

"What am I going to do?"

"What about another girl?"

"I still don't think I can afford to take on someone else, plus I don't have the experience or facility to do a payroll."

"If it's only for a few hours then it's hardly going to attract tax! Maybe Sandy can recommend someone?"

"Or even if she can spare Tanya for a few hours?"

"That might work. Oh, Tanya's now going to play Lady Macduff at The Mill as well."

"That simplifies things. Are you both wearing the corsets today?"

"Yes, but if you don't mind I'll leave it off for a few days."

"Okay, but wear it on Wednesday."

"I'll try."

"I had reporters in here earlier, there's a big story apparently but I haven't seen a paper. Do you know?"

"Only what I saw this morning and on last night's telly news. The drugs find upstairs is connected to the murder of Chris Jones and in turn to Russian espionage."

"Yeah, this reporter kept asking if I'd seen any Russians. I said I see them all the time because of the trawlers and the fish factory ships. He obviously didn't do any research as he knew nothing about that business! I sent him to the library to look it up!"

They all laughed at the stupid journalist, no doubt from south of Hadrian's Wall. Tammy went to her bag to find a tissue, noticing that there was a message on her phone.

Journalists have arrived at the school gates, there will not be a minibus service from town until 4pm. HT

She passed the message onto Angela, who seldom checked her own phone.

"Does that affect us?"

"If you see anyone from school don't assume they've seen the message either, they could be waiting for a bus that won't arrive."

"Oh."

"Tammy, what are you doing about your driving lessons?"

"That's being taken care of whilst I'm away, Sarah."

"So you'll have a full licence when you get back?"

"That's the plan."

up
428 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Trip To Cornwall

joannebarbarella's picture

Might almost be a holiday but I suspect Shiraz has some mischief planned to keep Tammy occupied.

Ya think?

WillowD's picture

Snerk.

Are the Witches...

...and Lady Macduff ever on the stage at the same time? If not, perhaps Tanya could play both parts, wearing the witch cloak over her own costume.

I'm guessing the vaguely familiar injured schoolgirl is Chris Jones, though if so I'm not sure why she'd be back in Thurso.

Something very weird about the abrupt personal assistant hire. If she's a plant -- there can't have been a whole lot of applicants with the necessary security clearance -- by whom? Heather and Sophie don't seem to need the help.

Eric

One would assume.....

D. Eden's picture

That the vaguely familiar schoolgirl with the cast and crutches was in fact the girl who was playing Lady MacDuff - if you read back, you will see that she broke her ankle playing hockey.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Maybe ...

One would think Tammy would recognize the girl that had been playing lady McDuff right off. Chris, as a girl, would look different but still not completely changed yet and would still set off signals that tell Tammy that the individual looks familiar but unsure of who the person is or where she knew them from.

"That's the plan."

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Till it all flies apart anyway.
:p

>i< ..:::

being in the public eye

that's gonna make doing secret stuff a lot harder.

DogSig.png

Some sleepy little town

Jamie Lee's picture

For a sleepy little town, it's been rather busy by a few trying to skate under the radar. And thanks to Tom becoming Tammy and Richard suggesting they buy the building housing Sarah's shop, those few trying to skate by had the ice thaw and they are now sinking.

Now an article and news cast are out concerning some of the previous activities, which may lead to reporters camping at the gates for the Smart home; they're already at the school gates.

Iain must be fit to be tied, getting called away from rehearsals or missing them completely. Yet it sounds like rehearsals getting done.

Jennie vetting a PA for the house, essentially, leads one to believe bodyguard is part of her unannounced duties. If that's the case then it's good Tammy doesn't know, it'd be one more thing to worry her.

Again Tammy did a good job of deflecting questions or not adding information. Dave would be proud of the improvement.

One of the other shoes has dropped, which one gets the honor now?

Others have feelings too.