Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 162

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 162

Mr. Mayor, you are so wrong! That title is not good!
This is funky.


We had spent the night at my aunt and uncle’s house, and we introduced Charlie and Jackie to soaking in the thermal pools in the winter time. Even during a snow storm.

On the way back to Albuquerque we’d met up with Iz, the Director of Parks for the Santa Ana Pueblo and his wife, Nita, who is the Tribal Governor of the Santa Ana Pueblo, at the Jemez Canyon Reservoir. The reservoir is the nesting site for the Bald Eagles. We also ran into four people who were looking for the Eagles that were supposed to be in the area. Iz told them that there wasn’t any Eagles in this area. And, the four people left. Thank the Great Spirit. Where did they get their information?

We were finally able to visit the nest site, and Nita, who’d been here before with Iz looking for the Eagles with no luck, got to see them.

When we were back at the car, we talked about silver jewelry as we showed Nita and Iz a couple of pieces of my grandfathers work. And we learned the Nita had a couple of pieces of Navajo silver jewelry.

When we were back in Albuquerque, Charlie and Jackie had come over and celebrated New Year's Eve with us. Then on New Year's day, Amy and I were invited to an “informal dinner” at Chief Tom and Vickie’s house. Knowing that there was a possibility that there could be some wheelers and dealers from the university there, Amy and I dressed up a little bit.

When we’d arrived at the Etsitty’s house, Chief Tom met us at the door, and we’d followed him into the family room. I’d stopped at the doorway and looked around. Then I’d whispered to Ajie, “What are we doing here?”

“I … I don’t know.”, Ajie had replied. “But, we’re here.”

What I was seeing was maybe eight or ten couples, not counting Ajie and me, or Chief Tom and Vickie. The problem was, most of them were the upper level of the university’s administration. The first person that I spotted was Dr. Lingham. Dr. Lingham is the president of the university, and at over six feet tall he’s not hard to spot.

Then I spotted my dean, Dean Rutherford. He’s the dean of the engineering college. Then Amy whispered, “Dean Milford, my dean, is here too.”

Then I saw Dr. Joe and his wife, Mary. At least there was one friendly face. And, there were others who I didn’t know. I whispered to Chief Tom, “Chief Tom, why didn’t you warn us?”

“Warn you about what?”, Chief Tom asked.

“Who was going to be here.”

“Would you have come?”

“Probably not. Most of these people are out of our league.”

“Says you.”

“Yeah, says me. The president of the university is here.”

“So, you rub elbows with Chief of the Navajo Nation.”

“So do you.”

“Not like you do. You can walk right up to him and talk to the Chief. I have to have an appointment.”

I just scowled at him.

Vickie saw us, and as she walked over to us, she said, “Good you’re here.” Then we got hugs.

Then Vickie surprised us by turning to the other guests, and saying, “Everyone. Everyone, could I have your attention for a minute.”

Vickie waited a few seconds until everyone was looking at us, then she said, “Everyone, I know that some of you know these two ladies. But, for those of you that don’t, I’d like to introduce Kai Nez and her cousin Ajie Nez. Please make them feel welcome.”

As we walked towards Dr. Joe and Mary, we got stopped a couple of times, and people introduced themselves. Don’t ask me who they were, but there was one other dean there, a couple of professors, and others.

When we finally got to Dr. Joe, I asked, “What are you doing here?”

“Like you, we were invited.”, Dr. Joe said.

“But, why?”

“Us. I think it was to keep you company and out of trouble.”

“Out of trouble. Me?”

“Yes, Kai, you.”

“And, why were we invited?”

“I’ve heard that there are some people here who want to meet both of you?”

“I think we already know more than half of the people here.”

Looking over my shoulder, Dr. Joe said, “I know, but the one walking over here with Dr. Lingham and Dean Rutherford I know that you don’t know. At least I don’t think you do.”

I glanced over my shoulder, and I saw Dr. Lingham, the university president, and Dean Rutherford, my dean, walking towards us with two women and a man. I asked, “Dr. Joe, who are they?”

“You’ll find out.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Oh, thanks.”

Just then I heard someone say, “Excuse me, Miss Nez.”

Both Ajie and I looked, and we both said, “Yes.”

“I guess you are both Miss Nez. Aren’t you?”

“Yes, Dr. Lingham.”, I said. “We are. And, it’s good to see you again.”

“And, you also. I hear that you’re doing good things.”

“That’s what they tell me, sir.”

“Miss Nez and Miss Nez, I’d like you to meet my wife, Katrina.” Then looking at me he said, “Katrina, this is Miss Kai Nez.” Then looking at Ajie, he said, “And, if I remember right this is Miss Ajie Nez.”

And, we exchanged greetings.

Dean Rutherford then said, “My wife is here somewhere. I think she’s helping Vickie with the food. I’ll introduce you to her later.”

Then Dr. Lingham said, “I’d also like you to meet Mayor Alejandro Rodrìguez, the mayor of Albuquerque, and his wife, Amalia.”

I nearly choked when Dr. Lingham said that the man with him was the mayor of Albuquerque. But, I was able to say, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, your honor.”

As the mayor reached out his hand to me, he said, “Miss Nez, I hope that we’re all friends here. Please call me Alejandro.”

I took his hand, didn’t like what I was feeling, and said, “Yes, sir.”

Then looking at Dr. Joe and Mary, I said, “Do you know Dr. Joe Oshie and his wife, Mary? Dr. Oshie is my faculty advisor.”

“I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure.” And, they exchanged pleasantries.

Then, still holding my hand, and making me nervous, the mayor looked at me again, and said, “Miss Nez, we’ve heard a lot of good things about you, and in particular the scholarship that you set up for the Navajo children.”

Pulling my hand out of his, I said, “Thank you, but it was both my cousin and I that did that.”

“I think that scholarship will be a boost for them. But, a girl as the first recipient. Was that a wise decision?”

“Yes, sir. We feel that the scholarship will help them. And, we felt that the girl was very deserving of the scholarship and a good first choice.”

“I hope you’re correct. I hope that she doesn’t let you down.”

“She won’t.” I was beginning to like this man less and less.

“You sound very sure of that?”

“Yes, we are very sure of it. She has the drive to complete her course of study.”

“But, a girl doctor?”

“Is there something wrong with that?”

“I just don’t feel that they will make good doctors or anything that’s technically based.”

“Why is that!?”

I noticed that Dr. Lingham, who had been listening carefully to our conversation was getting a little nervous, and I think he knew that I wasn’t happy with the direction that this conversation was going.

“They just can’t do the technical type of work as well as a man can.”

“Are you saying, that even though I graduated Cum Laude from Ohio State with a degree in Electrical Engineering, that I can’t do the same work that a man can?”

“Oh, I didn’t know.”

“Obviously. And, not only that, I’m working on an advanced degree, teaching in the engineering department, and doing research.

“And, Mr. Mayor, one day there will be women in positions like yours, in the state houses, in the state legislatures, in the halls of Congress, and maybe even a woman president. It may not be in your lifetime or mine, but it will happen.”

I don’t think that the mayor knew what to say.

Lucky for him, Vickie announced that the food was ready in the dining room. And, Dr. Lingham immediately suggested that we get food. The mayor agreed. And they started walking towards the dining room. Dr. Joe, Mary, Ajie and I held back, as did Dr. Lingham’s wife, the mayor’s wife, and Dean Rutherford.

The mayor’s wife looked at me, and said, “I have to apologize for what Alejandro said.”

“Amalia.”, I said. “I appreciate that, but it’s not your place to apologize for him.”

“I know, Miss Nez. I was hoping that he wouldn’t go off like that.”

“Amalia, it’s Kai. And, you can’t control things like that.”

“I know. I’m still sorry.”

“We’d better catch up with the men.”, Dr. Lingham’s wife said.

After the two women had walked away, I looked at Ajie, and said, “I’m glad that’s over.”

“You didn’t like the mayor. Did you?”, Ajie asked.

“No.”

Dr. Joe said. “But, he’s the mayor.”

“That doesn’t mean that I have to like him.”, I said. “Besides I didn’t like what I felt from him. Plus it appears that he feels that women can’t do the same work that men can.”

“The spirits are telling you things.”

“Yes, they are. And, what they’re telling me is not good. Plus I don’t trust him.”

Then, Dean Rutherford, who was still with us, said, “Miss Nez, I was worried. I’ve heard you be very forceful with your words, but you controlled yourself.”

“Dean, I’ve learned to do that. But, he was pushing the envelope with his attitude towards women.”

“I could tell.”

“I held my tongue out of respect for the office, not the man.”

“But, you may have made an enemy.”

“Dean, I remember someone saying, ‘You have made an enemy? That’s good.
That means that you've stood up for something in your life.’”

Dean Rutherford was shaking his head and had a little smile. Then, he said, “Miss Nez, how did you know that was one of my favorite sayings?”

“It is?”

“Yes, Winston Churchill said it, and it was one of his favorite saying too.”

“Well, then I guess that I’m in good company.”

We waited for a little while then walked to the dining room. After we'd pick up some food, we were standing around eating, and meeting some other people, including the dean of the medical school.

As Ajie met the medical school’s dean, she said, “Dean, you may have heard my Anglo name, Amy Young, mentioned in a discussion of a seminar that you want me to do?”

You could see the recognition on the dean’s face. And, he and Ajie had a nice chat about the seminar that Ajie, or Amy, was going to do.

The others started for the dining room, and Ajie and I held back a little. When we were alone, we planned something to have a little fun.

Later, after most of the guests had left, including the mayor. And, Ajie and I were talking with Dr. Joe, his wife, Mary, Chief Tom, and Vickie. Then Dr. Lingham and his wife walked up, and Dr. Lingham said, “Tom and Vickie, nice party.”

“Thank you, Dr. Lingham.”, Vickie replied.

“And, Miss Nez, I have to apologize to you. I didn’t realize that the mayor felt that way about women.”

“Dr. Lingham, you can’t tell what someone is going to say and how people will respond to it.”

“I could tell that he hit a sour chord with you.”

“Sir, you’ll never know how sour it was. The girl that received the first scholarship is well known to us. And, we felt that she has the ability, drive, and want to do something useful with her life by becoming a doctor.

“We saw her, at what you call Thanksgiving, and she’s in her first term of pre-med classes, and at mid-term, she was making straight A’s.”

“I see.”, Dr. Lingham said. “So, you do see good things for her.”

“Yes, sir. We do.”

“Now I can see why I thought you wanted a piece of the mayor.”

“No, sir. I didn’t want a piece of him. I wanted to take him and shake some sense into him.”

That got a smile from Dr. Lingham’s wife.

“Miss Nez.”, Dr. Lingham said. “Why do I have a feeling that you are someone to be reckoned with.”

“I hope you mean that in a good way?”, I said. “Because I’m someone that will stand up for myself and what I believe in.”

“I do, Miss Nez. I do mean it in a positive way. And, I’m happy that you’re a member of the faculty.”

Ajie looked at me, and said, “Do you think that we should make it official?”

“I guess we should.”, I replied. “We did tell the typewriter salesman.”

Dr. Joe said, “Kai, what are you talking about.”

“Going back to Ohio State.”

“You’re doing what!?”, Vickie asked.

“Going back to Ohio State.”, Ajie replied.

“No, you're not! Are you?”

With a grin, I said, “Sure we are. Whenever we visit back home.”

“Kai Nez!”, Dr. Joe said. “If you weren’t … “

“Actually.”, Ajie said. “We do have an announcement.”

“And, what might that be?”

“Both of us have decided to work on our doctoral.”

“Here?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“Of course here.”, I replied.

Nothing happened for a few seconds, then Vickie hugged Ajie. And, as Dr. Joe shook my hand, he said, “It’s about time that you realized that it was the right thing to do.”

Dr. Lingham looked at us, and said, “I’d heard that some of the faculty had been pushing Miss Kai Nez in that direction. It’s rare to bypass a master’s degree, but it’s done. I’ve also heard about some of the things that you’ve done, including the new computer course.

“And, Miss Ajie Nez I don’t know much about you, but it appears that Vickie is happy about your decision.”

“Dr. Lingham.”, Vickie said. “We were lucky to have Ajie Nez, or Amy Young, come to the University of New Mexico to do her graduate studies, and she brought Kai Nez with her. I’m going to embarrass her, Ajie graduated Summa Cum Laude from Ohio State.

“She’s been an excellent addition to the nursing school’s graduate assistants, and her teaching ability is impressive. And, the staff of the hospital loves her.

“She’s now working on a seminar for the medical school on the native Americans, their beliefs, and working with them. And, the staff of the nursing school supports her and this decision.”

Dr. Lingham looked at Ajie and then at me, and said, “From what I know and from what I’m hearing here tonight, I think we are fortunate to have two such wonderful people with us. And, I support what they’re doing with their degrees.”

Ajie said, “Dr. Lingham, the Navajo have a saying that covers how I feel right now, and it's, nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. In English it’s, it is good, and all is harmony around us.”

I smiled, and said, “Ajie said it all.”

On the way back to the apartment, I said, “That was fun telling them about making our minds up. But, I’m still a little unhappy with Chief Tom and Vickie.”

“Join the crowd, love.”, Ajie said. “And, I think they know we are.”

“I would have just liked to have been warned that all the high rollers were going to be there.”

“I know. And, I’m proud of the way you handled the mayor.”

“Thanks. He really bothered me.”

“I could tell.”, Ajie said. “I was uncomfortable being around him too.”

“You know.”, I said. “I was surprised with the support that we received from everyone about our decision.”

“Me, too. Dr. Lingham surprised me. I figured him for an old stuffed shirt, but he was very nice and down to earth. It was fun when you explained hágoónee' - (see you later) to them. And he tried to pronounce it.”

“I know. Maybe we aren’t out of their league.”

“I think it’s more that they’re in our league.”

After we were at the apartment, Amy asked, “Would you like a glass of wine before bed?”

“I could use one.”, I said. “But, I want a shower first.”

When I was out of the shower, dry, and had a robe on, I went downstairs. Amy was sitting on the couch in her robe and had two glasses of wine. As I sat down next to her, I asked, “Did I hear the phone?”

“Yes.”, Amy said. “It was Vickie calling to apologize.”

“For?”

“Not telling us who was coming to the dinner.”

“That was nice, but not necessary.”

“It was nice. Vickie said that she just had to do it because she felt bad.”

“I hope you told her that it was all right?”

“I did.”

“But, wait ‘till I see Chief Tom.”

“He wanted to talk to you, but I told them that you were in the shower.”

“Oh, I will talk to him.”

“Be nice.”

“I will.”

We finished our wine and called it a night. Well, we almost called it a night if you know what I mean.

It was Tuesday and Winter Quarter started tomorrow. We still had some preparation work to do on the classes that we were teaching. I was teaching the second quarter of Electric Circuits and Electronic Circuits and Systems. Amy was teaching the second quarter of Nursing Fundamentals.

I also wanted to run over to the used furniture store to see if they had any typewriter stands and office chairs.

Amy and I both worked on our presentations for the week, and then we took a break for lunch. After lunch, as Amy worked on her seminar for the medical school, I ran over to the used furniture, and an hour later I was back with a typing stand, and a desk chair like Amy wanted.

When I was back, and as Amy was helping me bring the typewriter stand and desk chair into the apartment and set them up by the desk in the little room, she said, “Vickie called while you were gone.”

“Oh.”, I said. “What did she want.”

“The medical school people have come up with a name for the seminar, and now I don’t know if I still want to do it or not.”

“Why?”

“How do you like, ‘Interacting with the aboriginal patient.’?”

“I don’t. But, aboriginal does mean indigenous people.”

“Yeah, but when you hear that you think of the native Australian people. Not the native Americans.”

“True. Did you tell Vickie that?”

“Yes. I also asked her if she ran that title past Tom, and she hadn’t.”

“Did you tell her anything about not wanting to do the seminar?”

“I did when she told me that the chairman of the workshop was set in calling my seminar ‘Interacting with the aboriginal patient.’

“And, Vickie said that she’d call me back after she talked to the med school people.”

“Did you tell her what you’d like to call it?”

“Yes. ‘The Native American people as patients.’”

“I like it. But, I'd wait and see what she finds out.”

We then moved the typewriter from the desk to the typewriter stand. Then Amy sat in the desk chair, adjusted it for her, then under her direction, I’d adjusted the typewriter stand. She’d tried typing something. I adjusted the stand a little bit more. She typed some more. And, she was happy.

Then I went out to get the mail, and Charlie and Jackie were coming back from campus carrying bags. I assumed that they had the books that they needed for class. Jackie saw me, and said, “Hi, Kai.”

“Hi, guys.”, I replied. “Looks like you made a trip to the bookstore.”

“Yeah.”, Charlie said. “And, it was crazy. We were there for over two hours.”

“That is crazy.”

“Yeah, most of the two hours was waiting in line to get into the bookstore.”

I just shook my head.

Then Jackie said, “You two want to come over after dinner for dessert?”

“I think we could do that. What time?”

“Seven.”

“We’ll see you at seven.”

I went back into the apartment and told Amy about our dessert date. And, she said that it sounded like fun.

A short time later the phone rang, Amy answered. And her side of the conversation went like this, “Hello.” … “Hi, Vickie.” … “They did. That’s good.” … “So, they finally admitted that since it’s my seminar that I should name it.” … “Thank you for standing up for me.” … “Okay, I talk to you later, so long.”

As Amy hung up the phone, she said, “Vickie said, that she had to explain to them that I was aiming this seminar primarily at the American Indian people and that I should be allowed to name it.”

“I’m glad that Vickie stood up for you.”

“I hoped that she would. She did fight to have me come out here.”

“I know.”

We spent a nice evening with Charlie and Jackie.

Wednesday was the first day of winter quarter, so after breakfast, I walked Amy to her eight o’clock class. She was teaching the two sections of Nursing Fundamentals again, and like my one class, it was the second part of a three-quarter-long class. And it meets on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at eight and nine in the morning.

After I’d dropped Amy off, I walked over to Dr. Joe’s office, I knocked on the door, and I heard Dr. Joe say, “Come.”

I opened the door, walked in, and said, “Good morning, Dr. Joe.”

“Good morning, Kai.”, Dr. Joe said. “I’m glad you’re here. I have something to show you.”

“Oh.”

“I had a courier from the Los Alamos National Laboratory stop in yesterday.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, he delivered the paperwork for our project. I haven’t had time to read it over thoroughly, but it’s interesting.

“When I signed for the package I also had to sign a paper that I agreed to some rules.”

“Rules?”

“Yes, the papers are not to leave this room, and when neither of us is here they are to be locked in the secure file cabinet and the door to the room is to be locked.

“When the papers are out of the secure file cabinet, the door to the room is to be locked.

“And, if anyone else, other than the two of us, is in the room, then the papers must be locked in the cabinet.”

“What is this project?”, I asked.

“Kai, I don’t know yet. There is one more thing. We are not to talk about this with anyone other than Dr. Fontheim, or Dr. Höllmann. That nondisclosure agreement that we signed at lunch that one day is still enforced for this project.”

“Really hush hush.”

“It seems so.”, Dr. Joe said.

“And, we’ve never had any background checks.”

“That we know of.”

“Do you think they have?”

“I wouldn’t put anything past them. And, I mean anything.”

“Hmm. Well, I’d like to read these papers. I don’t have time this morning, so maybe after lunch.”

“Lock the door, and I’ll show them to you.”

I walked over to the door, locked the deadbolt, then I walked over to the file cabinet. Dr. Joe unlocked it, pulled open a drawer, took out a binder, and handed it to me. I looked at it, and said, “This is going to take a little time to read and digest.”

“It is. I’ve marked where I stopped reading, so don’t lose my place.”

“I won’t. I’ve got to get to class. So, I’ll be back after lunch.”

“Okay. I’ve got a Noon and one o’clock class to teach, so I probably won’t be here when you get here.”

We put the binder back in the file cabinet and locked it. And, as I walked to class, I thought, ‘Just what the hell is this project?’

I was happy to see that everyone who was in this class last quarter was back, and I think that they were glad to see me again too. And, that held for my ten o’clock sections also. I had a grad level class at eleven, and I went to that, then I went to the faculty dining room for lunch.

As I sat by myself eating lunch, I thought about everything that was going on. Then I walked over to Dr. Joe’s office, it was dark, so I knew he wasn’t there, I unlocked the door, went in, turned on the lights, closed and locked the door. Set my purse on the desk, and my briefcase on the floor. I walked over to the file cabinet, unlocked that, opened the drawer where the binder was, took it out, sat at Dr. Joe’s desk, and started reading.

A little after two, I heard a key in the door, I closed the binder and slipped it onto my lap. The door opened, and Dr. Joe walked in, he looked at me, and as he locked the door, he said, “Heavy reading. Isn’t it?”

“Yes.”, I replied. And, I set the binder back up on the desk.

“How far have you gotten?”

“Just past where you were.”

“Ready to take a break?”

“Past ready.”

We put the binder away, locked up the office, and went to the faculty dining room, which was all but deserted. We both got something to drink, and as we sat, I said, “After reading that I could use a sangria.”

“What do you think so far?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“I’m not sure yet. It seems kind of … of, for the lack of a better word, funky.”

“Funky?”

“Yeah. There’s just something about it that isn’t sitting right.”

“What?”

“First, this is somewhat different than what we read at that lunch meeting.”

“Hmm. You know … now that I think about it you’re right.”

“And, I think I’ve seen something like this before.”

“Oh. Where?”

“I’m not sure. But, I want to finish reading it before I try to figure anything out.”

“That’s probably a good idea.”

Later, as we walked back into Dr. Joe’s office, I said, “I think I’m finished with it for today. I want to sleep on what I’ve already read, and read some more tomorrow.”

“Sounds good.”, Dr. Joe said. “I’ll probably try reading some more of it later today.”

I grabbed my briefcase, said so long to Dr. Joe, and walked to the apartment. As I walked in the door, I heard the typewriter going in the small room. I walked in, and said, “Hi, I’m home.”

Amy jumped, and said, “You scared me.”

“Sorry. You were really concentrating on something.”

“The seminar. They want to do it at the end of February. Something about a weekend training conference, they want to make it part of that, and I'll have a two-hour time slot. And, I’ve got an outline done, and I’m just typing up a rough copy of that.”

“The end of February, that should give you plenty of time.”

“I hope.”

“Let me read the outline when you’re done?”

“Of course.”

“I got a look at the new research project from Los Alamos today.”

“Oh. What is it.”

“I can’t talk about it. But, I’ll say this. I’ve only read about a third of the write-up, and there’s something that’s bothering me.”

“What’s that?”

“I’m not sure, but like I told Dr. Joe, it’s like I’ve seen this somewhere before.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmmmmm...........

D. Eden's picture

Can’t help but wonder what the research project is. Los Alamos is well known for weapons research - perhaps that’s what bugging Kai?

Also, I truly find it very strange that there has apparently been no background check run on either Dr. Joe or Kai - or has there? I had to have a background check before I started college just because I was a Midshipman with NROTC. I simply can’t picture either of them being granted access to something that is that confidential without any form of background check being done.

Based on that, and the dialogue in this chapter, I get the feeling that we are going to find out that there actually has been some checking going on!

Not to mention the interesting interaction with the mayor.......

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

You never know what the

You never know what the people from Los Alamos might do or have done. Especially since they have already hit a dead end on that unauthorized background check that they tried to do.

Probably nothing that nasty.

Probably nothing that nasty. I think Kai would put her foot down on something like that.

Government looking over your shoulder.

My opinion is that anyone associated in any way with Los Alamos, even indirectly like those from the University have already been completely checked out. I was using the name Khadijah when I was a very observant Muslim and was let know that they'd "observed" me. Now days they have quite a large facility that shows up in pictures, but not on Google.

Nice story.

I figure that you're correct

I figure that you're correct about them looking over your shoulder, but Kai has a problem with them doing too much.

I've looked at Los Alamos on Google Maps and I'm seeing a large facility.

Index

smdani4mm's picture

any possibility of you redoing your index on these stories to group chapters 1-50 and then 51-100 and then 101-150 and then above 150? I would make it easier to check for new installments. Just a thought. I imagine you never expected it to go to chapter 161. Great Stories!

Dani

SmDani4

Hi Dani,

Hi Dani,

I was surprised when I hit 50 chapters. 161 is just blowing my mind.

Your thought on redoing the indexes is interesting. I don't know how they're done now, they just appear. But, I'm willing to do it, if I can figure out how. I'll ask Erin.

Bringing more problems to light?

Jamie Lee's picture

Why is it Kai gets to butt heads with, buttheads? The Mayor steps into the role without any trouble, with his attitude toward women. Or was he just pulling Kai's chain to see if she'd stand up for herself? More than likely the first because of the feeling Kai got from the Mayor. Might there be another when the Mayor tries to pull something and it caught by Kai?

A new project from LA which has strange overtones? Wonder how strange, wonder what has Kai's strangedar active?

Others have feelings too.