Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 391.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Making Mud Pies - Hard as eating them!
by Angharad
part: 391

I did some shopping on the way home, if Stella was due to arrive tomorrow, some more food would be useful, although we could eat out once or twice. I had some work to do, so she'd have to talk to Spike or go out on her own.

I got enough to fill the freezer and much of the fridge. Goodness the price of food had gone up in the past few months, or Bristol is dearer than Portsmouth. I got home and unloaded it all, then began to look at the summer school programme. I spent two hours integrating it with my stuff and checking up a few quotes - thank goodness for the internet, my books were still in Portsmouth.

I made myself a snack meal and back to the computer. I had the first two days complete and just one more to go. Dr French was supposed to be sending me stuff on the woodlands at Hartpury House, including some maps. I couldn't really do much more until I had them, other than look at a couple of specifics about, marine ecology, urban, montane, rainforest and finally temperate woodland - which was my speciality, especially dormeeces!

It was nine in the evening and I'd just poured myself a cuppa when Simon rang. "Hi, Babes."

"Hello, Si,"

We talked and I related my recent meeting at the university, he was pleased for me - mind you, I was pleased for me. I wasn't so pleased at his next topic.

"Did you get your cornflakes on the train?" I asked him.

"No, Babes, I didn't. It took me until I got to the office to recover from my ride to the station. You drove just like Stella."

"There's gratitude," I felt irritated, "I got you there in one piece and in time to catch your bloody train."

"You nearly had to deal with a cardiac arrest."

"Is that like a citizen's arrest?"

"Ha ha, very funny - seriously, I was getting palpitations sat in that car with you."

"If I hadn't driven like a demon, you'd have missed your train. Maybe you need to give me more notice next time."

"Perhaps, I'll drive down next time."

"It takes longer."

"Oh I don't know, my life seemed to pass before me on several occasions, so that took a bit of time."

"Simon, I don't criticise your driving."

"Maybe it's because I'm a good driver."

"Are you implying I'm not?"

"This once, yes."

I began to feel more than a little irritated. If he mentions women drivers, I was going get very cross.

"Of course men are generally better at this sort of skill than women..."

"That is total balderdash and you know it. Data from insurance companies shows women are far safer drivers, which is why our insurance is cheaper."

"I wouldn't necessarily accept that data."

"Fine, I'm sure it would contradict your flat earth theories, so no I don't suppose you would accept it. I have news for you, the world is round. Bye." I put the phone down and ignored it when he immediately tried to call me back. He would get the message that I was cross with him eventually.

I heard my mobile peep to say a text was received. I was sure it was Simon again so didn't hurry to check it, instead giving some attention to my obese dormouse, adding to her fat levels by feeding her nuts.

I nearly forgot the text message and was about to go to bed when I checked it. It was from Des.

' N E chnce u b ridin 2moro? Same plce? luv Des.xxx'

I couldn't reply because I didn't know what time Stella was due. In the end I did respond.

'Have Stella arrivin 2moro. Why not come 2 dinner, 8pm. RSVP Cathy.'

About ten minutes later I got his response: 'How can I refuse 2 luvly ladies?'

I sent back one word. 'Creep!' I knew he'd laugh at that, least I hoped he would. At least sparring with him took my mind off my spat with Simon. Sometimes I wondered if we were compatible, at all. Then we'd have a good day together, or a better night, and my worries would disappear. I know some of it was my fault, but Simon could get so priggish at times. Especially his insults about women, he wasn't really a male chauvinist, he was actually a gentleman, so why did he have to play the macho game? Maybe Stella could shed some light on it?

I went to bed and after reading some dry as dust novel for ten minutes fell asleep. The story I'd been reading was based in Palestine, why I'd picked it up, I didn't know, although I had forgotten to include the ecology of deserts to my programme. I mean deserts as in Sahara not desserts, as in apple pie.

I tried not think about food, that would keep me awake. I dreamt I was teaching and went on about deserts and they all started asking me about the ecology of sweets and puddings. It sounds ridiculous but I woke up in a fair old sweat. My confidence with a new group was not as high as I pretended. I knew my subject to my satisfaction, I hoped it was to their's as well.

I went for a pee and thence back to sleep waking with the alarm at eight. I lay there for a moment before remembering Stella's visit. I jumped out of bed and into the shower, then down and cleaned up the kitchen after a quick breakfast. I vacuumed everywhere and made up a bed in the spare room. Finally, I made a new bread mix and set off the machine. The house would hopefully smell welcoming.

Stella arrived ten minutes after the loaf finished. We ate much of it for lunch with some cheese and salad and a little white wine. I asked her how long she was staying and she decided three days. That was fine, it meant I'd be free by the weekend and could take a look at these woodlands near Gloucester at Hartpury House.

When I told Stella that Des was coming for dinner, she seemed rather pleased. I wondered if there was some history between these two? If so, I intended to find out. It could prove to be an interesting evening.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Des and Stella?

Now there's a thought. If he and Simon are old mates, he probably had a run at her for a bit. Wonder if there was anything there?

I seem to remember…

…that Stella was at the same school (Millfield) as Simon and Des so there MUST be some sort of history there.

Of course my feeble mind might be playing tricks on me.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Hmmm.

It'll be interesting seeing the interaction between Des & Stella (not to mention Cathy as well). Will we see the gentleman or the cad? Cathy's still got her short fuse. Has she managed to get her insurance rates dropped now? I did wonder if that happened. What a bad idea for a story (guy has operation so he can afford auto insurance)...

Thanks for another episode. I wonder how many loaves that bread maker is good for.

Annette

Cathy needs

To take an anger management course, or two, or three. "Course, I'd have hung up sooner than she did, so I've no room to talk!

Now, what's up with the neighbors?

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'm Still Here!

Got a chance to borrow a computer to check in!

Glad to see the story continuing and Cathy landing on her feet if only at a temporary job. Still this could lead to better things, eh?

And, as usual, it's great entertainment, even educational with that mini-discourse on ecology.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Good the girls are back together

What happened to Dr Irish Brogue? Maybe Stella runs around a little ? Isn't that how she got in trouble ?
Wait a minute ! Cathy can get prostate cancer and breast cancer ? Woo, got one wouldn't want the other.
Of course the chance of prostate problems should be lessened.

Cefin