Dear Diary : 2007-09-04

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Tuesday, 4 September, 2007

Dear Diary
Today went... well. Nobody recognized me as Ethan, which was good, but I didn't realize how much people avoid talking to the new kid until today. Well, the Principal and Counselor recognized me, but they met me as Ethan and as me last month.

Not a lot of homework, but I'm still just so excited. Things went so. So. NORMAL! I had to stop myself from talking to people as if I already knew them. I swear, if I never have to say, "Hi, I'm Courtney, pleased to meet you!" again, it'll still be too soon!

So, let's see... I have a great schedule, lemme see if I can remember it all for you...

First hour, I'm in Mixed Choir -- I'm an alto, did you know that? -- with Schumway. She's got a goofy grin and likes to laugh, and she made a lot of the girls mad when she moved them around to get a better sound from the whole. Totally didn't even seem to notice their fits. It was great when Lenora Yost sang off-key on purpose. "Miss Yost, private tutoring is available from Madeline Williams, the retired choir mistress, for those that have trouble with the basics. I can send your mother a brochure with the prices if you'd like." Laugh. Out. Loud. Seriously, we were working hard not to giggle at her the rest of class.

Second hour is French with Herman, and it was so confusing, but neat. She refused to speak English, and we had to try to figure out what she meant by gestures and the funny faces she made. I'm supposed to memorize the French Alphabet and how to say each letter tonight.

Third hour is Algebra I with Stoneriver. She's scary, but I think she's just no-nonsense. It's not like Algebra is hard, anyway. She kinda glared at me when I walked up to her desk, until she realized I was turning in the assignment and not coming up to ask a question.

Fourth hour is Drama with Ward, and I'm apprently REALLY lucky to be allowed in. First "Frosh" allowed to take the class in over a decade. She's also one of the two teachers that know my secret, but I'm seriously thinking she would be my favorite, anyway! She's what Daddy would call a "spitfire" type of lady.

Then is lunch period, and I was so lonely! No one sat with me, no one talked to me... but no one picked on me or anything, either!

Fifth hour is Geography & History -- which will be Civics & Debate second semester -- with Wenchley. He's funny. I think I may really enjoy History for once. I mean, I usually hate it, but we went in and he had the blackboard FILLED with all these rebel quotes. A lot of people in history that we're supposed to look up to were rebels, did you know that?

Sixth hour is "Language Arts" -- which is just a silly name for an English class. I mean why can't they just call it English like they did in Middle School? Oh, I have Worthing for that one, and she's the other teacher that knows my secret. I'm not sure if she's... okay... about it or not. She kept looking at me funny all period.

Seventh (and last) hour is my science course. D'oh. Biology I. Which implies I'll have to take Biology II at some point. Bleech. The teacher is a big burly dude that's probably some coach or other named Towers. He was wheezing all through class, like, I thought he was gonna keel over and we'd have to grab one of the cell phones he'd confiscated at the beginning of class and call 9-1-1! But he just carried on, and actually gave us NOTES. On the first day of class!

I mean, I could sign up for Zero Hour if I want, and I could have some before school stuff and after school stuff... but for now I have a good feeling about this year! Whoa. I wrote a LOT today, my page is almost full. Your page. What-EVER.

Okay, Mom is calling me for dinner, and I'm gonna have to tell THEM how today went! Not that I mind! See you tomorrow night!

Courtney

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

sounds like a lot

Great entry Courtney.
Sounds like you had a great first day at school. So. . . four adults know the big secret, huh? That is a pretty closed network. what about any of your friends? do any of them, or the neighbors know about the 'new' you?
Is it hard playing the new kid at school, or is it fun knowing the different classmate's personalities already? I'd think it would be hard not to slip up and blurt something out that 'Courtney' shouldn't know.

Good luck on your second day of school :)

Snoops

Thank You Edeyn

Edeyn, I really, really, really like this so far. Thank you for posting it. I DO hope this becomes a regular posting

hope you don't mind me leaving a comment speaking to Courtney.

A.A.

p.s. can't wait to see another soon.

I am confused

This is a high school MtF transsexual who is returning to the same school where she attended before and where she knew people closely before. No one recognises that she is the same person who use to be Ethan? Are you saying that this high school student has had FFS? That would be the only way no one would recognise her. For the record, there have been high school age MtF that indeed did get FFS so it would not be out of the question.

I never said that

she knew people closely. Very possible, especially in a big school. Raychel told me about going back to her old high school to get her transcripts. She saw a few students in the halls. They didn't recognize her, and one of the girls who used to make fun of her actually approached her to welcome her. Raychel will be attending a high school hundreds of miles away now, where no one knew her, so she won't have the panic reflex of perhaps someone recognizing her, but that day at her old school... no one saw anything but a girl that had to be helped to walk, that was possibly transferring in.

Dear Courtney

Your first day and seemed to go quite well.

Perhaps you could give the wheezy guy some throat lozenges, but leave them sort of, I don't know, secretly--so you don't get thought of as teacher's pet or anything.

I hated biology. All those nasty bugs, bacteria, weird-looking drawings and don't even go there with dissection . . .

A. Wellwischer

4 adults

That know seems to me to be too many.