Dear Diary : 2007-10-24

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Wednesday, 24 October, 2007

Dear Diary
Hee!

So, today, classes were as boring as ever, the kiss ups were doing their best to 'get in good' with me and the other Apple Fair Princesses, and I was referred to as a 'popular chick' for the first time. And yet, this is not what has me in such a good mood.

I am, in fact, in an excellent mood. You want to know why?

I'll tell you, why (whether you want to know or not, smarty-paper).

So, I'm in the library fourth period, because Drama is a study period for a few weeks unless you're part of the cast that actually has lines. I was munching on my apple, because I brought my lunch today. I decided that I'd spend straight through the end of lunch studying for the Aca-Deca, and would nibble on my lunch throughout. At lunchtime, Jennifer, 'Nessa, Hayleigh, and Lisa found me and distracted me -- I kinda needed to pack up anyway. And then when fifth period started, the intercom crackled to life.

"Attention students," it said, "... would Goober Podnick please report to the Gymnasium at once?"

Matthew looked startled for a moment, then he gives me this like, EVIL glare -- I mean, we're talking totally the stink-eye!

I couldn't help it. I giggled and slapped my hands over my mouth.

Then... then the best part happened.

"Stop dallying and get to the gym, Goober," says Mister Wenchley, "and I really would have appreciated being informed that you preferred a nickname. I'm sorry I've not been calling you Goober all year so far."

Then he totally grinned at Matthew! He knew what was going on, but now Matthew had to just accept that 'Goober' is gonna stick to him. I mean, he'd stood up and gathered his stuff when they called him by it! If he, like, so obviously knew it was him the office was talking about, it had to be a nickname, right? Oh, the dirty look he gave me on his way out!

Just... HA!

Courtney

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, NO!

A nickname like that is bad enough from students, but TEACHERS too? That is just cruel.

For some odd reason there was a girl I went to school with who started calling me 'Okra'. One of the coaches found out and started using it too, causing me no end of embarassment. What was worse is that my blushing at the name's use resulted in the teacher joking that now I was 'fried okra'.

I never did learn why she named me that.

Melanie E.