Dear Diary : 2007-09-11

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Tuesday, 11 September, 2007

Dear Diary
We got a new kid today! This means I'm not the new kid anymore!

He's weird.

I mean, weirder than most. I first saw him in my French class. He's not weird-looking or anything, he's just... freaky. Augh. He stares. But not normal kind of staring. Like he's looking through you. Or like he can't see your clothes, just your underwear and finds it... interesting.

Anyway.

Today is also apparently "Patriot Day" and we learned about why in History 5th period. The new freaky-weird kid was there. I think his name is Matthew. He actually knew a lot about it, and it seems to me, it's like Memorial Day, but just for people who died on a certain day because they were in the World Trade Towers or on the planes that hit them, or the plane that hit the Pentagon, or the plane that "fought back" and crashed in Pennsylvania. We did a whole "moment of silence" thing at the start of every period today.

So at lunch Jennifer asked me what the deal with yesterday was. I told her I couldn't talk about it because it was family stuff. She looked like she wanted to ask more, but then nodded and ate her cupcake. I know I didn't, but it felt like lying to her and she's really my only friend right now and it totally didn't feel good at all! I did give a couple of notes to Principal Soames to give to 'Nessa and Hayleigh. Hopefully their moms will bring them over Saturday afternoon for movies and talking. They know what's going on with me, and their moms know but not their dads or anyone else having to do anything with them.

I'm, like, on pins and needles about the whole thing with Grandma Thatcher. She was yelling about talking to the School Board and the newspapers. When I think about it too hard, I get all queasy and have to lie down.

Courtney

up
27 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dear Courtney

Dear Courtney,

I know it feels like you lied to Jennifer, but technically you didn't say anything so there for it is not a lie. Think of it as using the fifth admendment.

It's weird when a person can 'look through' you isn't it. I've met a few in my time. Well, i hope this Mathew turns out to be a not so weird guy. You know, you could do what Jennifer did to you and welcome him so that he feels a kinship. It would be a nice thing to do is all.

Grandma Thatcher. hmmmm what should you do about her? The only thing I can think of is accept that she will take longer to convince that Courtney is who you are. Understand that there is a possiblility that she will never accept you as Courtney. Just try to be a loving granddaughter. who knows she may grow used to the idea.

Have a good day tomorrow,

Snoops

Dear Courtney

Being economical with the truth isn't like really lying, it's just not telling the whole story. What you have done in a way, is protect Jennifer from something that could be harmful--either to you or to her. My mum used to call them "little white lies".

Your Grandma is a nasty piece of work, but then you can choose your friends, not your family. It's weird how people all seem to think that just because family is part of one bloodline, they will automatically be on your side, but that is totally not the case.

It's a sad fact and one that my friend Suzanne can vouch for. Paul had a hard time from his mum about wanting to be Suzanne--something she just never accepted, so I can sympathise with you there.

As for the new boy. You have a lot of nerve calling him weird or freaky. Under the circumstances, I would have thought you of all people would have been a little more understanding.

A. Wellwischer