Dear Diary : 2007-09-07

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Friday, 7 September, 2007

Dear Diary
I waited until Jennifer went home after dinner before writing this tonight. It was fun, I mean, I only had a small scene to memorize, because it's for the audition. We just sat and talked about what we want from the future, stuff. She's so smart. She's already thinking about which college she wants to go to! I feel like I haven't planned anything! Hee!

She liked my room, especially my posters. She said it was a relief that I'm not totally one of the frills and lace and pink girly-girls. She went nuts over my Mercedes Lackey collection, especially when she noticed that a dozen or so are signed... We talked about the kids at school and she thanked me for not believing rumors and actually talking to her. I thanked her for talking to 'the new kid' in return.

Mom brought us up some Milk & Cookies and Jennifer thought that was so cool, but I know Mom was just checking up on us. Daddy's giving her a ride home and then we're gonna pick out a movie to watch together, just the three of us. Mom and me are already leaning toward the same one, so I'm pretty sure we'll get our way. Okay, so it sounds totally girly, but it's not -- The Princess Bride is one of the most niftiest adventure comedy romance drama fantasy ... it has everything!

I almost told Jennifer my secret. I thought about it though, and told her I had to take a bathroom break, then went and talked to Mom. She said she's glad I have a new friend, but not to be free with my secret. Make certain I can trust her first. I told her I understood and then snaked a couple of Cokes from the fridge and went back upstairs.

Oh! Daddy's home. I'll write tomorrow after the auditions!

Courtney

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice taste in reading....

I also enjoy Mercedes Lackey... That said, as quickly as she writes, it's still difficult waiting for the "next" book ... :-)

Annette

bite size morsels

laika's picture

Less than story chapters, about the length of some of my paragraphs, but rich and tasty, and if they were longer they wouldn't be as believable as diary entries. The daily postings force us to experience this story in "real time"- what happened today. And because it is intended for an audience (Courtney herself) that already knows the story, there is a lot of artistry in what you DON'T reveal, a randomness to the details touched upon each day, but piece by piece the picture gets filled in. Somehow it feels shamefully voyeuristic reading
these- "never peek at someone's diary" having been ingrained in me at an early age.
I kind of hope that this story will be generally upbeat, as opposed to beat up,
which I've heard more than enough about lately thank you very much!
~~~hugs, Laika

Dear Courtney

You got me with Mercedes Lackey. I don't know her, but perhaps that's because we're on different sides of one HUGE ocean.

I think the Princess Bride is way cool, like I've seen it three times now. You would never know that Inigo Montoya was the same man who was in Dead Like Me, would you?

Whoa! You gotta hold off on who you tell your secret to, but I guess mum told you that already.

Have a good night with the movie, Courtney.

A. Wellwischer

Arrows of the Queen

Mercedes Lackey is one of my favorite authors. Her Arrows of the Queen trilogy is very nice. I love these minute snapshots of Courtney's life. I hope her new friendship works out.
hugs!
grover

My favorite Lackey

Is "Sacred Ground" -- she researched it quite thoroughly (including getting me to set up an interview with my 100+ year old Shaman grand-uncle).