Dear Diary : 2007-10-16

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Tuesday, 16 October, 2007

Dear Diary
Second day of Spirit Week

Today was Famous Athlete Day. I decided to sneak in something spiffy that meant a lot to me, and was also a sport I liked. I've been planning this for a couple of weeks and when I got home last night, the stuff I needed had arrived with yesterday's mail, just in time!

Okay, I still love cycling, even though I'm really not great at it, but I ordered a copy of Michelle Dumaresq's riding gear. She's a woman who is like me, and still competes as a woman for Canada in World Mountain Bike riding. There's lots of controversy about her being able to ride with the women. Seems to me, that it's mostly folks who don't matter who're yelling about it. Last year, when she won a race by one second, the second place girl's boyfriend jumped up and put a tee-shirt on his girlfriend that read, "100% Pure Woman Champ," and got his girlfriend suspended from racing for it. Why do folks care if the girls in the race don't? Why should anyone EVEN the girls in the race care? They're saying that Ms. Dumaresq has an advantage having been born male. Psh. After about a decade on HRT, her muscle mass isn't any more masculine than any other girl rider out there!

Grr.

Anyway, I ordered a copy of her gear ( looks like ]this[ ) to wear to school for today.

There was only a few people who knew who Michelle Dumaresq even was, and they were teachers. Mizz Ward 'got it' almost immediately and said my choice of costume was, "Delightfully impish," today.

But, as good as my costume was... Matthew upstaged everyone today... again.

He came wearing an amalgam of football, baseball, soccer, hockey, basketball, volleyball, track & field, cycling, and golf equipment -- topped off by a pair of masking taped hornrim glasses and a pocket protector. He was the "hometown hero" and when folks were confused about the glasses and protector, he said that was to represent the academic all-stars.

He's creative... but still a Goober.

Oh. Yeah. Lisa knew who I was supposed to be immediately without having to ask. She said it was a smart choice and if people knew, it'd make 'em think.

Courtney

up
49 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Does she win?

Ms. Dumaresq, that is. Does she win, or is she only singled out because of her past? That would suck if that's all they have to scream about is that she used to be a guy. If she wins, and they're screaming because of THAT, then they're just poor sports.

REW (Roo)