Dear Diary : 2007-09-05

Printer-friendly version

Dear Diary
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


Wednesday, 5 September, 2007

Dear Diary
Sorry I was so late getting to you, tonight. I had a lot to think about after today. For one thing, high school is harder, I actually have to pay attention in class. Hee!

But for another, I think I made a friend today... but I'm not certain. Now, Jennifer Higgleston walked up and sat with me at lunch today. I looked up at her and she just smiled. She held out her hand and said, "Hi! Everyone needs a friend, and new kids have never bitten in the past... I'm Jennifer." Then she grinned at me. Doesn't sound so bad, right? I mean, she's not one of the "Popular" crowd, but she is one of the more popular freshman girls. We talked through lunch and then as I started walking home, she called out to me and waved.

Doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. I know. But(!)

I'm afraid. I mean, what if I'm like her project, and she's getting kudos from the popular kids for "taking pity" on the new girl? Paranoid, right? I mean, it's only the second day, I should make other friends, right? Well, if I'm wrong about her, I'll have thrown away a friend -- which I know from being on the receiving end that it SUCKS. If I'm right... well, it means everyone else will realize it before me and I'll be the laughingstock poor li'l girl that everyone pities. AUGH!

And... there's the fact that I feel a little weird being friendly to one of the girls that were part of the whole GoalPost Incident last year. Yeah, she was only the lookout for her older sister and she was the one complaining about doing it because it wasn't right, but it was her. We've been in the same class-level since Kindergarten, and she didn't even know my name last Spring. I was just another boy that her psycho sister (may she rot in juvie) picked to be a target. Now... can I be the girl who is her friend?

I mean, she's being sweet and I think it's genuine. She did tell the cops it was her sister and her sister's friends. I just don't know. She's pretty, smart, athletic... I wanna be all of that, too, and the best way to get my foot in the door is to have a friend who's already invited, right? But would that be me just using her?

Eep. Less time tonight, dinner's already ready.

Courtney

up
30 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

baby steps can get big results

Dear Courntey,

From what it sounds like, this girl, although having a shady past is a caring young lady. She 'ratted' out her sister and her friends last year, and protested their intital efforts. She is also putting a step forward in welcoming a new student to her school. I always try to see the good in people and I would hate to see this world when everyone assumes the worst. Jennifer took a big step forward today. maybe you can help close the distance.

Did you two talk about fun things at lunch and on your way home? did she seem interested in getting to know you?

Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Just pointing out

Jennifer called out and waved... didn't walk home with Courtney

Dear Courtney

I'm not saying she's like, bad or anything, but once people see you talking to others, it kinda opens the gates for more people to like, talk too. You know what I mean?

Thing is, when you're on your own, anyone holding their hand out to you is nice. I hope you don't like get it bitten off for your trouble.

Only two days, but not so bad so far is it?

A. Wellwischer

Not looking forward to that

I suck at making new friends. Mostly because I'm not worth getting to know. I'm kinda geeky -- which Mom says is totally like Aunty Edeyn -- and shy. Which I know is totally NOT like Aunty Edeyn.

You'll be fine, Roo

Just relax and let them see how awesome you are. You're one of the bravest girls I know, of any age. And besides, if you ever need to talk to someone that's not your parents and not your friends and even not your therapists... you know how to reach me.