A Trapped Mouse Released

Printer-friendly version

This is the third and last of three connected stories begun in ”Mousy Trap”.

I was riding my bike along the creek close to our new house. I really wished that I could get a new bicycle but Father had this rule that for anything non-essential, but that he approved of, I had to pay half. That was about the only thing that had remained the same since that drunk driver had smashed into the driver’s side of my parents’ car. My mother passed away minutes later. Both Father and I had been devastated. I had never been close to Father but we drifted further apart. We tried to go on but at last we both realized that we couldn’t stay in that town. Too much reminded us of HER.

We moved to a new place. New town, new house, new job for Father, new school for me. I was a bit nervous about starting a new high school as a sophomore in a few days. Not that I had had many friends in my old school but not knowing anybody was a bit daunting.

Recently I had prioritized a new computer. I could have waited for another two years until Father had decided it was essential for me to have a new computer but I had wanted the better performance now so I was stuck with this old bike. I was riding on a path along the creek. The creek was struggling to perform its duty to lead away the water from the heavy rainfall the last days. In front I could see that a pond had emerged where a culvert under a road had insufficient capacity. A boy, around 6 I guessed, was playing alone there. I don’t know exactly how it happened but there he suddenly was in the water being dragged to the culvert that now was below surface. I managed to get to him in time and up on land. Now the difficult part started. How to calm him down, how to make sure that he’d be more aware of risks in the future and how to handle those while at the same time not crushing his sense of adventure, curiosity and all that. I think I sat there for almost an hour talking with the boy. I have to admit it made me feel better as well. Perhaps for the first time since I lost Mum I felt good.

My problem was not only losing Mum. I had come out to her only a few days before the accident and she had handled my revelation that I’m really a girl and not a boy very well. I had been reluctant to tell Father but Mum had persuaded me. We had planned to do that the night of the accident. Now – there was no way I’d approach Father about this. He hurt too much. I couldn’t add this as well. Besides, as I said we weren’t really that close.

My new high school surprised me. People were friendly even to a new kid. Politeness and respect among people. Both ways between teachers and students. No graffiti, no vandalism. Most amazing of all there were practically no bullying. I soon learned it something to do with the former and present student council presidents. Strangely enough they were known as Tom Boy and Jane Girl. Not Tomboy and Janegirl. Jane Girl was nominally a girl named Jane but in real life was very masculine and the star of the basketball team. Not captain, he preferred to make room for others to develop, as had Tom Boy. Everyone told me how great he was and how much the school owed to him and Tom Boy.

Keeping a low profile was easy, I thought. I didn’t want to be bothered and signaled that and people respected that. I didn’t want to get involved in anything. I had enough problems as it was. My grief for Mum was eating at me. At times I thought to come out to Father only to reject the idea a few minutes later. I was not a happy camper. Not that it was obvious to other people. I did fairly well in school. I didn’t cause any problems. I participated in sports and other activities to the minimum expected. I became the perfect mouse.

However, mice can get into everywhere and be unnoticed. One day I overheard a girl that had some problem. I realized I could help her and did so without anyone noticing. It felt good, just like with the little boy at the creek. Every now and then occasions like that turned up. On one occasion a poor kid who had had his bike stolen somehow found himself the unexpected owner of my old bike at a bargain price. I had managed to save up for half a new bike and since Father approved that I got a new bike... As I said, I acted on those occasions, always making sure no one suspected me. I wanted no one to intrude on MY problems.

One lunch break nearing Christmas I was surprised to notice that my privacy at the small table I usually had to myself was invaded by Jane Girl. I asked him what he wanted. I was shocked by the answer

“I intend to groom you”

Was the school hero some kind of pedophile?

“Got your attention didn’t I?”
He smiled and continued
“I intend to groom you to be the next student council president”

I was shocked. Why me? He couldn’t have chosen anyone worse for the job. And the arrogance to think that the position was his to give away!

Half an hour later he had convinced me. He had got me to realize that the present state of the school wasn’t a given and could deteriorate quickly without “Maintenance”. Jane Girl was happy that the real heavy work had been done by Tom Boy but there was continuous work needed. People that had to be nudged a bit to realize their potential, teachers that needed to be reminded not to abuse students and so on and on. The Principal was an ally but that was not enough. Tom Boy and Jane Girl had shown how much of a difference the student council president could make. Jane Girl was worried about who would come after her.

I had wondered “why me?” It turned out he had observed the incident at the creek, especially the talk I had with the boy where I hadn’t tried to quash his spirit. He had also noted that the day after there was a grid over the culvert opening. My innocent pleasures at school hadn’t gone unnoticed either. How naive I had been to believe that! And then he gave me the final shock

“There is another thing. If I’m right I’d like you to be my date at the prom.”

“I have to clear that with Father.”

That night at home I entered Father’s study with trepidation. As usual he was sitting there reading a newspaper in dead-tree format. He seldom lowered the newspaper even when speaking with me.

“Father, I have been asked to the Prom”

“O tempora, O mores. When I was your age it was the boys who asked the girls. Who is the lucky girl?”

“It’s the student council president”

“Funny, I thought that was a boy”

“He is, Father. I will have to get a prom dress”

For once Father lowered the newspaper and looked VERY carefully at me. Then he raised the paper again.

“I’ll pay half”

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Delightful

truly delightful. Thanks for posting

Samantha

That went well

BarbieLee's picture

I hope she has the money for the dress. They don't come..., inexpensive. Unless of course she can "borrow one".The Second Time Around dress shop maybe. Sometimes there are those who see past the facade others build around themselves and see the real thing hiding behind it. Jane Girl. was noticing all the little things the rest of us miss as she rush through life.
Cute story, loved it.
Hugs Bru, now about the embroidered Spanish Black ridding attire? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you so conservatively dressed and you still sizzled. Of course I want to borrow.
Barb
Life is a gift, cherish it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

She still has time to save up the money

The story ends sometime before Christmas.
If she finds it hard to find the money I'm sure Jane Girl can provide a nudge or two.
Jane Girl strikes me as someone who plans for the the future.

I hope the school is set for a long time on its present course. I think future student council presidents don't have to be TG but apparently it helps.

As for the embroidered Spanish Black ridding attire I think the whip is the essential part to get rid of people. Perhaps that's also what makes it sizzling.

This time I was unable to come with a good excuse, or even a ridiculous one, for not letting you borrow it so it's on it's way. At least you know how to mount a horse and not the other way round.

OH YOU DIDN'T

BarbieLee's picture

At least you know how to mount a horse and not the other way round.
I can't believe you insinuated..., Oh I am going to get so even girl. I know you had..., have governments, assassins, and terrorists after you for your shenanigans but understand you just stepped into the Big Leagues with that remark.All my time growing up wasn't spent nursing baby calves, pigs, kittens, and puppies
Sweety, on a softer note before the blood letting. An I the only one who read your story a second time and it finally dawned in my Tiny Little Two Working Brain Cells the connection of the title and the whole story????
On to more important things, I need a black riding skirt to go with it. My silk blouse or the embroidered white blouse will work with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224599556995?hash=item344b2d4383:g:...
I have the hat, not a cowboy hat but a Senorita Spanish hat https://tinyurl.com/46f5x47x
Sadly my previously blond hair has turned snow white.Not exactly what goes with the outfit but it never was black.
Hugs Love, hope you are having as much fun as...., oh silly, you're having a lot more fun than me.
Barb
When life isn't working dump on your friends. Werks fer me.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

A little bit greedy aren't you

Sorry no skirt coming. One delivery is enough.
Besides, it would only make it easier for you to track me down, as you seem determined to do. Hi-Yo Silver?

Talking about silver. That goes very well with black and if I remember correctly that combination is used quite often in Spanish speaking countries.

fantastic !

“I’ll pay half”

giggles, I'd call that a successful coming out

DogSig.png

You did notice

that Father pays for half of non-essential items that he approves of.

Noticed

Daphne Xu's picture

Yes, I noticed it.

Maybe Father realizes that the best position to take about his child is this: "If he's happy, then I'm happy."

-- Daphne Xu

Cute

Glenda98's picture

I enjoyed that, quite cute.

Glenda Ericsson

Cute Mousy Stories

Thank you for telling me you like the Mousy stories.

Wonderful trilogy

If there were a next Mousy story I'm curious to know the Student Council President's name. I think it terribly clever how a story can be told without revealing a name for our protagonist. Regardless, thanks for bringing this full circle and making it so sweet. Glad I'm all caught up now.

>>> Kay

*smiling*

This is such a fun series! I really enjoyed getting a peek into the lives of the three students. It looks like the latest student president candidate has a lotta potential! :)

Nerva-Antonine Model

The model where student council presidents in practise appoint their successors has worked so far but should probably not be continued too far. Let's hope that the unnamed candidate consolidates the system enough that this model wont be necessary any longer.

Regardless, three unhappy young persons have had the opportunity to flourish and contribute (admittedly I take things for granted regarded the last one).

And don't forget

the shoes.

Learning curve

The protagonist hasn't realised everything this entails. Neither has Father but once committed I expect that he'll pay half for the shoes as well (as well as all other things that the Prom requires).

And don't forget

the shoes.

Kindness seldom missed by everyone

Jamie Lee's picture

If he wanted to be left alone or stay in the background unnoticed, he shouldn't have been so helpful when needed.

While kindness may not be noticed as readly as being unkind, some will see it occur.

If father was still grieving over the death of his wife, then he was blinded to the needs of his son to help him come to terms with the death of his mom. And that his son was his daughter.

When approached by the class president and told he'd be the next president, he should have made it known then whether he was interested. And not be talked into something he might not have wanted.

Being asked to the prom proved others saw him as her, and as he found out, so did his dad.

Others have feelings too.

People are complex

There are usually layers we aren't aware of ourselves.

Delusions that what we do isn't noticed (or vice versa) is common.

There is a very fine line between overcoming reflexive rejection of ideas and talking someone into something.

Thank you Jamie Lee for your comment.

Dad's not right!

The prom dress isn't "non-essential".

"Essential" is usually a matter of opinion

I suspect that dad would have had the same opinion if the narrator had been born a genetic girl.

At least a basic wardrobe is more likely to fall under the heading "essential" according to dad.