Black Cat Investigations

Printer-friendly version

Black Cat Investigations – that’s what it says on the door to my downtown office.,

I’m Black by the way. No, I don’t mean that I’m black. Do I confuse you? What I mean is that my name is Black but I don’t have any African roots (that I know about). Actually, I’m white, almost albino white, blonde (nice wavy hair), 6’4”, 200 lbs almost purely muscles apart from the skeleton, firm chin, chiseled features, snappy dresser and so on.

The name on the door really is a red herring since my greatest asset is that I’m extremely lucky, mostly. I’m lucky in that somehow people automatically get the impression that I’m competent and trustworthy. The last part is true but I have to admit that I’m not really that smart. Dogged, certainly but not smart. However, I am lucky. For example, one of my first cases involved the Native Indian run casino just outside the city. By pure luck I solved a case that could have had serious political effects. As a result I’m always very welcome at the casino, as long as I don’t gamble.

It was also by pure luck that during the same case I saved the life of the most despicable gutter rat possible that was also devoid of all morals. What used to be that boy is now my b b b … assistant. I had intended to say beautiful assistant. Too bad I’m a lousy liar. The 19 year old girl that she is now can’t even by stretching the truth be called beautiful. Pretty is another inapplicable adjective. Cute? Only if you consider a shrimpish 19 year old ugly bimbo with vacuous eyes desperately dressing to try to look like a cute 13 year old to be cute. Oh, Allie has her uses. By the way she is the Cat in the name. People often think that is short for Catherine. Not so. Cat is Allie’s family name.

Some people think that I keep her around for romantic reasons, or more likely for sex. NO WAY. I’d never consider doing anything like that with her. To begin with I’m 100% gay. Secondly, I prefer big well-muscled guys like myself. One example was the prime male specimen that entered my office a week ago. Very much my mirror image except that his hair was pitch black. Oh, I liked what I saw but the company had a reputation of professionalism to keep up. We were the most highly regarded (and most expensive) private investigators in the city. Partly due to the persona I had built up, partly due to the confidence people automatically had in me and to no small degree dependent on the company track record: 99% of cases solved. Beat that if you can!

As it turned out the case turned out be rather straight-forward. Industrial espionage. The only thing that made it exceptional was the amounts of money involved. I almost, but only almost, betrayed my chock when Alfred told me about the potential sums at stake. I accepted to take the case. So what if I was attracted to Alfred, the young, handsome and wealthy entrepreneur hiring me. That had nothing to do with it.

Some PIs skulk around in trench coats trying to ferret out secrets. I prefer to make a grand entrance in my exquisitely tailored suit. Always accompanied by Allie of course. My experience is that the bold approach combined with my reputation often unsettles the culprits in such a way that they make stupid mistakes that reveal them. Sometimes henchmen panic and sell out their accomplices as soon as they hear that I’m on the case. Sometimes there are other developments. Why bring Allie? Well, she has her uses.

After throwing my weight around for a couple of days, including quite a lot of nice interaction with Alfred, I was a bit incautious and let slip that I had broken the case and was about to reveal everything to Alfred that night. Walking up the path to his house I felt a shock in my shoulder. I had just time enough to think: “Oh no, not again!” before blacking out (yeah, I know, ironic given my name).

I woke up several hours later in hospital. By that time the culprit had already been booked. Another solved case! Allie was by my bedside. Not the “public” Allie. The real one. The one with the intelligent eyes that moved with feline grace. Only it was more like a panther than a cat (don’t, I repeat, DON’T get into a fight with her). The Allie that still objectively was dead ugly but somehow just oozed sexiness.

I looked reprovingly at her and said

- Boss, you promised that you’d get the guy before him shooting me already last time you used me as a stalking horse. This is the third time I get shot!

It’s not often that I see Allie embarrassed. This was one of those rare moments. She certainly should be. She really is much better at her job than that!

- Tell you what Mike. I’ll let you buy 5% of the shares in Black Cat Investigations. That way you’ll have 35%. And just to show how sorry I am I’ll let you have them at par.

Having said that she smiled and waved at me. She left the room and I could see Alfred waiting there with some flowers. Too bad they weren’t for me. They hugged each other and walked away.

Yep, Allie is the senior partner in Black Cat Investigations. She is the really smart one of us Her public persona is invaluable when snooping around while everyone focuses on me. In my defense I have to say that sometimes I’m the one that cracks our cases. Possibly 1 in 5. All right, 1 in 7 to be honest. At least!

I don’t really mind. I earn much more thanks to Allie than I would by my own. I’m respected within the profession as well as among the general public. I have a very nice social standing. I like the attention I get as well as the invitations to all the big social events. Even when getting shot I have been lucky and never got seriously injured. I can live with that. Probably!

Despite all that I think the time has come for Allie and me to part ways. I like and respect her. Professionally, financially and reputation-wise I’d be a complete fool to break with her.

However, I just can’t live with the fact that EVERY guy I fall in love with ends up in HER bed.

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Any Partner in Bed

BarbieLee's picture

Our Mr. Black is gay, our Alfred is bi, and Allie is hetero?
Sweety, did you leave out any of the others in this upside down convoluted tale? Knowing you..., okay, I haven't got a clue how you weasel top gov and military secrets out of your targets. Yes I do, they go into mental lock down just looking at you.
My resources haven't sent me any pics this past month. You on a sabbatical? I would think with the Ukraine, Russian war you'd be deeper than ever in intelligence gathering? Went through a couple dozen pics of Ukrainian women soldiers thinking I might spot you in uniform. A lot of hotties but you weren't among them. I don't want to borrow your military uniform if that's where you're hiding at the moment.
Hugs Bru, stay safe doll. I know you get involved in a lot of things you don't talk about.
Barb
Have fun with life, it's too damn short to take seriously.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

He really has only himself to blame

Never, ever, trust a partner who is called Allie Cat and is devoid of all morals. At least not when it comes to boys. But then he admits that he isn't that smart.

If you don't want to borrow my uniform, what about my mother's? She was promoted to vice corporal after only a few weeks in 1944.

How

How could you miss her?

84.png

:)

.

I'm so embarrassed. I know better!

Rose's picture

I'm so embarrassed. I should know better, but I had to reread the Boss, you promised line a couple of times to figure out what was going on. I know better! This is a Bru story!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I can't blame you

Even if you know something is up the question remains: Exactly WHAT is the something?

Makes me think of Pierce...

Rose's picture

Thinking of Remmington Steele, were you? LOL

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Life is rarely fair,

But if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need.

I had to read the story twice

to catch the fact he is the employee, not the employer.

good story, though.

DogSig.png

Not an unusual reaction

To quote Rose in another comment on this story: "I know better! This is a Bru story!"

Actually, he's not an employee. He is the junior partner (unless you consider age).

Keep having fun!

I guess what threw me

was that he called her his assistant when first introducing her.

DogSig.png

Old tricks as good as new

Alfred Hitchcock used the unreliable narrator trick.

No, I'm no Alfred Hitchcock but I can "borrow" some of his tricks ;)
At the beginning we get the official version. It's only when we get to the hospital that "the behind2 the scenes are revealed.

Sorry Dorothy for deceiving you.

"I can live with that. Probably!"

Daphne Xu's picture

"Even when getting shot I have been lucky and never got seriously injured." There comes a time when one's luck runs out, or a bad break just happens at the wrong moment.

It may be a good idea for a PI company to have a front face, while the real investigator is an unknown, working behind the scenes.

I wish that the committee investigating the attack on Congress, and the 9/11 Commission, both had such a behind-the-scenes gumshoe investigator.

EDIT: Scanning the story, I just spotted the "b b b …" It caught my eye, then I forgot about it. One word came to mind, while the other b-word didn't occur to me.

-- Daphne Xu

Not just a pretty face

Mr Black is the one that cracks the cases sometimes, about 1/5, well 1/7 (at least).

Getting shot is probably not good for your health even if you survive. Nobody, including he himself, claimed that Mr Black was very smart (handsome though).

As for the b b b : The nature of my stories is such that they leave room for some imaginative reading by the various readers.

Cute story

Nice read. Just want you to know I've enjoyed it.

Thank You

for letting me know.