Castle The Series - 0058 Axel's Family, Yvette, Farsight, Janet

Printer-friendly version

This Chapter brings us to the end of Day 3. Nextday is Quarterday.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003600

OVER TEN

EVE DINNER DANCE TIMOTHY (41) AND AXEL (40 nc) NECTAR (12 nc) WAVERLY (11)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

30th of Towin Day 3

Axel was a forty year old man who, though he had worked hard all his life, had never felt he had been considered to be a worthwhile human being. That he was not particularly clever he knew, though he was much cleverer than most. He had been too young to be able to take advantage of the long gone craft apprentice system, but naytheless had served his time learning from his father, a jobbing builder who had served his time as a carpenter, and from the many technical books he had read over and over again. He had spent most of his life learning and had mastered all the practical mathematics and skills any craftsman could ever need and a lot more besides. He originated in a relatively isolated and remote part of whence he came, and his speech was a heavily accented dialectal version of the language the Folk and most of the incomers spake.(1) To many on Earth who spake the same language he was unintelligible, and try as he could he had never managed to alter the way he spake. The women he had met who spake the way he did were not prepared to accept his obsessive need to spend time studying to become an educated craftsman, and the rest couldn’t be bothered to try to understand his speech.

Then he arrived on Castle where his ability to ply dried timbers into glulams(2) and determine, by second moment of area, and other stress analysis calculations, exactly what dimensions they would need to be for any given application was regarded as something that gave him instant mastery in the woodworkers and builders crafts. His spaech(3) was nowhere near as much of a problem to the Folk as it had been to most on Earth, and he came to the conclusion that though Folk sounded more like his spaech than English did, the major difference was the Folk wished to understand him whereas back on Earth nobody could even be bothered to try. Castle gave him all the opportunities and status he had ever wished.

The woodworkers were desperate he find a woman quickly and settle into family life, so he could focus on passing his skills on. He had been introduced to Timothy, Mistress knitter of the seamstresses and a women’s hairdresser, at the dance by Rue. She was a year older than he, and she’d been telt(4) by Rue Mistress woodworker it was important for Castle Axel was settled into a family. She hadn’t managed to contact any likely women in the woodworkers, but if Timothy couldn’t reach agreement with him quickly they would continue to seek one who could. Timothy appreciated the situation, and was interested in any man who was regarded so highly. She had had three men before but had never had children. Her first agreement had started, she accepted now, when they had just been too young, and it had just faded away. They were still friends. Her second man had dien(5) tragically, a tree hit him in a storm, and she had lost her third man to the fevers.

Despite this she still wished a man, but he had to be one who would accept her adopted children. She had wished older children to make up for lost time and had earlier in the day adopted twelve year old Nectar and eleven year old Waverley. That Timothy had adopted a daughter and a son, both over the age of ten, had pleased Axel. He had telt her, “I always wanted a family, but I am not too sure how I should have dealt with la’al(6) yans.”(7) Axel and Timothy had both been a little pragmatic, but, they’d agreed to marry and make an appearance nextday.(8)

Axel moved in with Timothy and the children and had enjoyed being a family man. That the children and Timothy had clearly enjoyed him in the rôle of father and husband had added to his satisfaction. Timothy, Nectar and Waverley had no major problems understanding Axel, and the few times when they asked what he meant they remembered his explanations and hadn’t needed to ask again. Waverley was pleased his dad was good at mathematics, and they were looking forward to learning and teaching together. Waverley thought of Mr. E.’s philosophy of different places, different times, different people, and how Jonnie had learnt never to mix them up, but he had decided eventually he would tell his mum and dad, and Nectar too, of his past life because only then would it be truly in the past. Nectar had not liekt(9) her original name. Darlene she explained was a character in an American soap, and she thought it tacky and sounded as if were maekt(10) up. She had wished a traditional Folk name, and the healers had suggested hundreds, but she had liekt Nectar the best.

For the first time in his life, Axel felt completely comfortable spaeking(11) with persons who didn’t spaek(12) the way he did. Later he and Timothy tucked the children up in bed, and Axel had been surprised when they had asked for a bedtime story. He had thought at their age they would consider themselfs(13) too old for stories. Possibly they would normally have done so, but many children reverted to younger behaviour as a mechanism to cope with their incursion. Since he didn’t know any stories, he maekt up the story of The Astonishing Growth of Apprentice Founder Inch and the Shrinking Rule(14-15-16) as he went along. As with all the best bedtime stories it began Yance ower(17) and ended and they all lived happily ever after, and he was quite unaware of how impressed the children were listening to a story they had never heard of before. He was surprised at how much satisfaction he had from their pleasure. He and Timothy enjoyed their first night together, both of them much less pragmatic concerning their agreement by the time they went to sleep.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003610

MAY I JOIN YOU?

EARLY EVE TO BEDTIME YVETTE (32 nc) AND WHITEBEAR (32)

30th of Towin Day 3

Yvette was a thirty-two year old ex-office worker. Her doctor had diagnosed depression after her miscarriage, which had occurred shortly after her partner had left her. She had turned down the offer of medication, saying she believed she was naturally unhappy as a result of recent events, but time not medication would be the solution. She had been far more devastated by Julian walking out on her, without saying he was going, than she had been by her miscarriage. That she could so misjudge the man she had thought she was going to spend the rest of her life with, had eroded her self-confidence to almost nothing.

Three weeks after her miscarriage, she was still trying to put herself and her life back together, when she had awoken on Castle. An intelligent, and she had thought perceptive, woman she mentally accepted her new environment quickly. She had been to all the meetings, and had taken in everything the incomers had been telt. She went to the dinner dance the eve before, but spent most of the eve sitting at a small table out of easy sight thinking of her situation, and trying to absorb her new social environment. She had considered carefully the implications for herself of the information they had all been given and had come to the conclusion she wished to try again, find a husband and have a family. Only this time, she wished someone who worked with their hands not their head. When she had been interviewed by the Master at arms staff she had been frank regarding what she had been through, and what she wished. They had asked if she would accept a widower, as they had many with children desperately seeking a wife and a mother for their children. She had thought at her age a similarly aegt(18) single man was almost certain to be a widower and had said yes.

They had asked her of her skills and were delighted to find one of her hobbies was leather working, and she would be happy to take it up as a full time craft. They were going to arrange a craft meeting for her nextday(19) as there were no appropriate crafters available immediately. They had telt her there would be a lot of potential husbands at the dinner dance thiseve(20) and hoped she would enjoy the eve, but she was to feel free to return to them at any time for absolutely any reason at all. She had decided at the dinner dance thiseve, she would be much more proactive, and now she felt she understood a little of Castle, she would make meaningful attempts to become acquainted with someone with a view to marriage, since she now understood this was the way things were done by the Folk.

She was a good-looking, dark brunette, of medium highth,(21) and she was proud she had regained her figure after her unfortunate pregnancy in less than a month. As advised, she had been to see the seamstresses, and she had dresst(22) with care for the dance. She dined as part of a mixt(23) group of twelve, but none of the six men interested her. She didn’t know why but there was something lacking in them all. After the meal, she decided she would find another glass of the pleasant, but she had been assured low strongth,(24) sparkling, rosé wine she’d enjoyed with her meal.

On her way for the wine, she was approached by a tall man of aquiline features with a pleasant, deep voice. “Mistress Yvette?”

“Yes, I am, and you are?” she had replied, realising this stranger had what ever it was the other diners had lacked.

“I am Whitebear, and when I checkt(25) with the Master at arms office earlier in the day regarding my request, they suggestet(26) I have spaech with you. I have just had you pointet(27) out to me. Would you like to dance? It is only fair to warn you, I’m not good at it.”

“Yes, I should,” she telt him, “but not yet if you don’t mind. I was on my way for a glass of wine, which I should still like. Would you join me, and tell me why you wish to talk to me?”

Whitebear agreed, and they collected a glass of wine for Yvette and a glass of fruit juice for Whitebear. Whitebear escorted her to a table for two and Yvette asked him, “Do you not drink wine, Whitebear?”

“I do, but I’m a little nervous, and I don’t consider it to be a good idea.”

“Most take a drink when they’re nervous,” she said.

“I know, but I may take too much, and I wish to make as good an impression as I can.” Yvette was liking Whitebear more by the minute. He didn’t seem nervous, but he looked as if he were not sure how to proceed with the conversation.

“Tell me about yourself,” she asked, “I presume you are here looking for a wife?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Why do you think I should make you a good wife then? You tell me about you, and then I’ll tell you about me.”

Whitebear nodded and replied, “I am thirty-two. I loes(28) Crest my wife and two of our children, Bantam and Haldol, to the fevers last year. I have two surviving children, Harebell who is eight, and Goosander who is four. Bantam was only two, and Haldol was six. It has been hard for Harebell and Goosander, and they need a mum.” Yvette was aware he didn’t refer to his own hurt. “I make horse collars, and the Master at arms staff sayt(29) you workt(30) leather, but they had had none available for you to have spaech with earlier. I considert(31) if we reacht(32) agreement we could work together.” He looked at her in the way men look at women when they’re doing their thinking with their bodies, rather than their brains, and said, “I shall be honest, it was a riandet(33) to me how you had lookt(34) if we had agreement and I had findt(35) a mother for the children and a wife. I really miss Crest, and sometimes the nights are lonely. I know I should come to love any woman I shaert(36) a bed with.” He paused, “Then when you were pointet out to me I bethinkt(37) me you were so beautiful I should be not be able to persuade you to agreement. But I have done my best, and that’s why I didn’t wish a drink.”

He looked as if he were expecting to be disappointed, and Yvette said, “If you still wish to marry me after I have told you about me, I shall say yes. So why don’t we go and find a drink for you first, which I do believe you need, and a top up for me, and then I’ll tell you about me, and if you’re still interested, we’ll dance even if you’re not good at it. I’m not going to let the man who wishes to marry me avoid dancing with me at the dinner dance where he proposed.”

Not understanding her last remark, Whitebear smiled at her, he had a lovely smile, and they stood to go for their drinks. She put her arm in his, to his surprise, and they collected the drinks. She insisted on a brandy for Whitebear, and had another rosé herself, and they returned to their table. When Yvette telt him of Julian and her miscarriage he looked sad. “It’s a terrible thing to lose children,” he telt her. Then he nervously asked, “Do you wish to try again?”

“Certainly. I want children. I always wanted them. I did wonder about adopting some if I found a man who had none, as well as trying again.”

“You could still so do if you wisht(38),” Whitebear telt her.

“I know how it works here, Whitebear, but I want to hear it said. Do you want to marry me?”

“Yes, more than aught,” he said putting his hand atop hers on the table.

“I told you, my answer then is yes,” Yvette telt him. “You mentioned horse collars, could I do that? I’ve seen a few and they look heavy, so should I be strong enough?”

“Certainly. They’re fillt(39) with straw and awkward rather than heavy, and I use a frame to support them whilst I work on them. If you would like to work with me all we’ve to do is make you a frame and have the smiths and the woodworkers make a few extra tools. Most tools are only uest(40) from time to time, and we shouldn’t need more. It’s only the few tools in frequent use we should need more of.”

“I should like that,” said Yvette, “but back to what you said about family. I think I should like to adopt as well as be mother to your two and any I may have. I suppose I have to be realistic. I may not be able to carry a child to term. I hope that’s not so, but if I lose another the support having a family would give, and their needs that would have to be met would help me. Any way we can talk of that later and nextday. What happens now, Whitebear? Do you carry me off to your lair? After dancing of course.”

“I should like that,” replied Whitebear. “The children are with my sister Owl, so we can do what we like.”

“Let’s dance then,” said Yvette. Whitebear wasn’t a good dancer, but he wasn’t as poor as he had led her to believe, he was much worse. They danced for an hour or so, and despite Whitebear’s lack of any sense of timing, both enjoyed themselfs. “Do you wish to stay to the end, Whitebear?” Yvette asked.

“Not particularly why?”

“I think I’ve had enough, and I can think of better things to be doing with my husband at this time of night on my wedding day,” Yvette replied.

Whitebear blushed, but said, “So can I. Let’s find our coats and go home.”

“I’ll meet you at the coats, I’ll only be a minute,” said Yvette.

They left, walked berount(41) the walkways and were at Whitebear’s chambers, now hers too she thought, in quarter of an hour. They spent the next couple of hours becoming acquainted properly, and Whitebear telt her, “You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.”

Since she was naekt(42) at the time, she asked him, “And how many have you seen dresst in this particular style?”

He blushed, which she noted he did easily when he was uncomfortable, and she thought was sweet, “You know I didn’t mean that,” he protested.

She kissed his protestations into silence and said, “I know, I was only teasing. You have no idea what it does for a woman to be told that, so I won’t tease you again, to make sure you keep telling me.” She smiled and asked, “Are you lonely any longer?”

“No, this is wonderful.”

“Well I am, Husband, so what are you going to do about it?”

A little while later he asked, “Are you still lonely now?”

“No,” she replied languidly, “I feel wonderful.” They both laught at each other’s use of the other’s words, and tired and happy fell asleep in each other’s arms.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003620

SOFTTH UNDER HIS HAND

EARLY EVE TO BEDTIME FIREFLY (40) AND FARSIGHT (16)

30th of Towin Day 3

Farsight went to the eve dinner and dance not quite sure why he went. He knew if he wished he could continue to live in his chamber in the Keep, for his craft placement gave him the right to be chambered and fed, but he had mixt feeling regarding being adopted into a family, and marriage didn’t even occur to him. He’d met a lot of interesting Folk, and none maekt fun of his stammer, which only occurred now when he thought of it. He was watching some young couples dancing, which he thought looked as if it would be a source of fun, if you knew how to dance. He had never danced and was watching without any intention of trying it when he noticed a slim, attractive looking, older woman with long, mid-brunette hair looking at him. He was no good at guessing ages, but thought she would be at least twenty-five. She smiled at him and asked if he would like to dance.

“I’ve never danced before,” he said, “so I don’t know how.”

“It’s easy,” the woman said, “I’ll shew you if you like?”

She was friendly, and he didn’t wish to be bad mannered, so he replied, “If you’re sure you don’t mind.”

She held out a hand to him and led him on to the floor. Holding her hand was exciting. He had never done that before even with a girl of his own age, and this was a woman not a girl. The perfume she was wearing was distracting all his senses from reality, in a way that was going to make him reckless as to all consequences. Despite many missteps, at which they both laught, they had great fun, and when he ceased to be preoccupied with his feet he managed to chat as well as dance. They danced for half an hour or so, and when the set of dances ended for the musicians and singers to take a turn agreed to find a drink and sit at a small table to chat. He looked at her closely, she was wearing a long sheath-style gown, buttoned high up the neck and slit high up one hip to her waist. It also had a closely tailored bodice which he couldn’t take his eyes off.

He was old enough to be affected by her obvious femininity, but not old enough to be able take it in his stride, and embarrassed he apologised for staring at her, saying, “I never saw a dress like that before.”

She laught understanding his reactions and said easily, “Women wear dance gowns so as to be lookt at.”

They taekt(43) their sparkling wine to a nearby table and sat down to continue their earlier conversation. All eve they alternately danced and drank sparkling wine, conversing throughout. She telt him her name was Firefly, and she was a potter who specialised in making large forcing jars for the growers, and he telt her the circumstances of his becoming an apprentice wainwright and explained he had changed his name to one more in keeping with his new home, and to give him a braek(44) from his past. They had yet again finished their wine when they decided to rejoin the dancers. It was later in the eve, a lot of the candles had burnt out, the fires were burning lower, and the music was decidedly slower as the dance was winding down. Both under the influence of each other more than the sparkling wine, which though of low strongth neither of them had any head for and so had drunk little of, they were dancing similarly to a lot of the other couples: close to each other. Farsight was acutely aware of Firefly’s breasts gainst(45) his chest, but other couples were doing the same and making nothing of it, and it felt intoxicatingly exhilarating.

During the last dance, which had been a slow one, Firefly had her head on his shoulder, and he had had one arm berount her waist. She pushed his hand down and round her hip through the slit at the side of her dress to the softth(46) of her decidedly female cotte.(47) The combination of her breath on his neck, the heady perfume of Firefly herself, the realisation she was wearing no underclothes and the naked softth under his hand had taken away from him any ability to think of aught but her immediate presence. When the music ended they left the floor hand in hand. They both realised something had happened on the dance floor, but whilst Firefly was happy to anticipate what was going to happen next, Farsight wasn’t even aware of it. Still holding hands, and both now completely intoxicated by each other they went for their coats.

He helped her to put hers on, and she led him almost sleepwalking saying, “Not long now, it’s not far.”

He followed her, trying to work out what it wasn’t long to and what wasn’t far. They arrived a few minutes later, and she opened the door to a small suite of three chambers. They allowed their coats to slide to the floor, and reached for each other, their kisses becoming more and more passionate.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003630

WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO THAT AGAIN?

AFTER DINNER TO BEDTIME JANET (63) AND BLACKDYKE (57)

30th of Towin Day 3

Blackdyke, Janet and their children had left the dinner dance just before half to eleven. Janet had enjoyed the company of the children, and the younger two each held one of her hands as they walked through the Keep gate tunnel, over the moat bridge and the brightly lit pontoons that completed the trail the stew ponds dissected to Blackdyke’s dwelling some eight hundred strides from the gates. Janet was clinging tightly to the children’s hands because despite no folk in sight the prospect of Blackdyke wanting to hold her hand for any to see maekt her nervous. She accepted she was now married to this quiet, but huge man, and her vision of what the rest of the eve held in store was even more exciting and frightening now they were in the words of Blackdyke, “All going home.” She knew she would go through with what ever Blackdyke expected of her. That, she knew was the price she had paid to stay alive, and she earnestly hoped it was a price that would bring happith.(48)

“You finally managt(49) to bully Mangel into holding hands, Clover. I bethinkt me Apple would be holding hands with him before you had a chance, and there were plenty of other girls interestet(50) in him too.” Swift was clearly pleased for his sister, but also amazed at her success.

“Apple didn’t will him, Swift. She was only paying Mangel attention to make Auk pay her some. I seeën(51) them kissing behind the musicians half an hour ago, so she’s happy now. The other girls didn’t really will Mangel or any else. None are seeking a heartfriend(52) yet, but just will to be near any excitement.”

Vetch asked, “Did you kiss him, Clover?”

“Yes, and he kisst(53) me once too. We kisst on the lips.”

Janet was amazed that Clover was prepared to discuss this with her brothers, even more amazed she was unselfconscious in the presence of adults, and even more that Blackdyke was smiling in what appeared to be approval. As they arrived at the house, Blackdyke reached into his pocket, Janet assumed it was for his key, but he opened the unlocked door and uest the striker he’d taken from his pocket to light a large candle in a glass tube. She realised, “They don’t lock their doors here,” and then, “We don’t lock our doors here.”

The children followed her into the house, and all removed their coats. Blackdyke hung them up including his own that Janet had been wearing, and Swift asked, “Shall I set for supper, Dad, and make some leaf?”

Blackdyke replied, “Please, Swift. Put some wood on the fire and toast some bannocks. I’ll make the leaf, and you two, put your night clothes on ready for bed. Supper in ten minutes, and your mum and I shall tuck you up afterwards, and if you ask with some respect she may tell you a story, but only if you are quick.”

The prospect of a bedtime story was a powerful incentive, and Clover and Vetch were back in their night clothes in less than two minutes. Janet meanwhile was desperately trying to remember children’s stories, so as not to disappoint the children she had realised over the last hour were now her children. She settled on Little Red Riding Hood as being the one she remembered most of and knew she could fill in any gaps where her memory failt.(54) Supper was soon ended, leaf drunk, and Swift also ready for bed. Swift, had a three-quarter siezt(55) bed, and the other two in the same chamber had narrower bunk beds. “Clover and I take it in turns to have the top one,” Vetch explained, “It’s my turn in Chent. It’s my turn starting nextnight.”(56)

He slid into the lower bunk whilst Clover climbed the ladder into hers. Janet, watched by Blackdyke, telt the story of Little Red Riding Hood, to the delight of all three who had never heard it before. Blackdyke said to them, “You’ve had a late night, say goodnight to your mother and go to sleep.”

Saying goodnight to the children maekt Janet was nervous, but since a goodnight kiss was clearly expected she was glad to do so despite her nerves. To her it was a significant sign to her of her acceptance. She watched this mammoth of a man, her man, kiss the children too, snuff the candles, and push the door to without closing it. As they went back to the main living area he explained, “Clover doesn’t like to be on her own in the dark, which is why she shares a chamber with the boys and I leave the door a bit open.” They sat down in the comfortable chairs facing each other, and Blackdyke asked, “A glass of bram(57) wine whilst we have spaech, Janet?”

This was becoming near to it she thought with a tumult of emotions, but she replied, “Yes please, but not too much, I’ve no head for it.”

Blackdyke smiled, and said, “I know I’m a big man, but I can’t drink either.” He went to the dresser at the side of the chamber, and withdrew a bottle and two glasses. “Not bad wine,” he said, “maekt by my sister.” He poured two glasses two thirds full, and handed Janet one. He sat back down in the chair. They sipped their wine, both awaiting the other to spaek first.

Jane realised she was distressed by the prospect of being laught at or worse still derided for her lack of bosom when Blackdyke saw her without the props that had given her confidence when he had been introduced to her at the dance. Not her in the dance gown with the padding in the cups, but just her with her almost flat girl’s breasts. Puberty had been a terrible shock to her, for though her nipples and areolae had started to develop her breasts and hips had barely changed as she grew to above average height for a woman. She’d initially assumed her figure would develop with time, but it just didn’t happen, and as a result she’d been taunted and insulted at home, at school and even for ten years at work. She was far more bothered by what Blackdyke would think regarding her breasts and hips than she was about losing her virginity, for even if it hurt it could only happen once. She knew derision would make her shrivel inside, and being maekt to feel shame and inadequate concerning her figure would last all day, every day, as it had for all her life so far. She desperately wished more, so steeling herself she said nervously, “I love the children, Blackdyke, and I do want to be a good wife to you, but I have no experience of men, and this gown makes more of me than I am.”

Blackdyke said, “The children love you, I can tell. They have been tormenting me to find them a mother for some time now, and your story impresst(58) them. As did you as a mother, and me as their dad for being able to acquire them such a beautiful mother.” He laught, “As to the gown, I bethinkt me all women enhancet(59) their charms on social occasions. That’s one reason why I need a wife, to teach Clover what she needs to know, and how to use the information. She’s lots of older women family and kith too who would be happy to help her, but a mum is best especially now she has Mangel.” He smiled again, a gentle smile, “I am glad you wish to be a good wife to me, I wish to be a good husband to you. Do you need more time, Janet?”

Realising what he was asking her, she replied shyly, “No, Blackdyke, I don’t require any more time, but if I drink any more I shall fall asleep on you.”

He stood, walked the two strides to her chair, held out both his hands and, as Janet put her hands in his, he pulled her to stand alongside him before he hugged her gently. ‘I said you never know,’ she thought, letting go of one of Blackdyke’s hands and reaching for her bag.

He led her to the bedchamber and said, “The washing and personal facilities are in that chamber there.”

She let go of his other hand and said, “I shall only be a moment.”

When she came back Blackdyke hadn’t moved. She stood facing him, and moved intimately close to him, and as they looked each other in the eyes she said, “I’m ready.”

Blackdyke tenderly and carefully undresst(60) her, and after running his hands over her, he pulled her towards him, crushing her gainst him, and then, as if ashamed of his urgency, he released her, and said, “My sorrow, but it has been so long.”

His vulnerability and honesty touched her deeply and reassured her at the same time, and in turn she said reassuringly, “I’m sure there is nothing to be concerned with…for both of us, Blackdyke.”

His humbelth,(61) gentelth(62) and care, maekt her feel she was a treasure to this huge and strong man, her man. Afterwards, grateful for Gilla’s cream and thinking she hadn’t been aware of any pain nor even any discomfort as Gilla had suggested she may experience, she was proud she was now, in her own eyes, a proper wife, and more importantly a proper woman. Looking up at Blackdyke, she said, “That was…,” she searched for words, but she knew of none more appropriate than, “That was wonderful.”

He said, “I had forgett(63) how wonderful,” and laught. “Shall I bring us a glass of brandy? We can fall asleep if we wish.”

“Yes, please.” replied Janet. They were drinking their brandy in bed, and chatting of nextday and the children’s requirements when Janet startled him by saying, “Blackdyke, I really do want to be a good wife, would you like to do that again?”

Blackdyke replied, “I should, but would you?”

“Yes, please.”

Some while later Blackdyke said, “Janet, for me it’s been a long time, and even longer for twice, I’m fifty-seven you know, and at my age twice is rarely possible.”

Janet said, “Yes, I know, but I wanted this night to be special, and it is.”

They held hands in bed, and were falling asleep when Janet felt Blackdyke’s hand on her breast. Her shame and worry concerning the inadequacy of her body ceased. She was his wife, and he desired her. He desired her exactly the way she was. With the loss of her virginity Janet, though still a little shy, had, as Campion had predicted, changed from a totally inhibited and self-disgusted incomer locked up within herself to a new person. She was now a wife and mother, a member of the Folk. Her inhibitions and self-lothing(64) had been discarded with the old persona they belonged to.

Word Usage Key

1 Spake, spoke.
2 Glulam, a glued laminated timber beam. Glulam is a generic term for beams manufactured by bonding together individual laminations of solid timber, oft to produce beams of greater dimensions than could be produced from a single tree.
3 Spaech, speech.
4 Telt, told.
5 Dien, die.d
6 La’al, little or small.
7 Yans, ones.
8 Nextday, tomorrow.
9 Liekt, liked.
10 Maekt, made.
11 Spaeking, speaking.
12 Spaek, speak.
13 Themselfs, themslves.
14 Shrink rules are uest(15) by founders to lay out patterns, they take into account the shrinkage of molten metal as it cools and solidifies, thus a wiedth(16) on a shrink rule is longer than a true wiedth. Shrink rules are unique to a particular metal because different metals shrink by different amounts.
15 Uest, used.
16 Wiedth, a width, nominally a finger’s width.
17 Yance ower, literally, Once over, a dialectal version of Once upon a time.
18 Aegt, aged.
19 Nextday, tomorrow.
20 Thiseve, this evening.
21 Highth, height.
22 Dresst, dressed.
23 Mixt, mixed.
24 Strongth, strength.
25 Checkt, checked.
26 Suggestet, suggested.
27 Pointet, pointed.
28 Loes, lost.
29 Sayt, said.
30 Workt,worked.
31 Considert, considered.
32 Reacht, reached.
33 Riandet, a matter of no significance.
34 Lookt, looked.
35 Findt, found.
36 Shaert, shared.
37 Bethinkt, thought.
38 Wisht, wished or wanted.
39 Fillt, filled.
40 Uest, used.
41 Berount, around.
42 Naekt, naked.
43 Taekt, took
44 Braek, break.
45 Gainst, against.
46 Softth, softness.
47 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft.
48 Happith, happines.
49 Managt, managed.
50 Interestet, interested.
51 Seeën. Saw.
52 Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
53 Kisst, kissed.
54 Failt, failed.
55 Siezt, sized.
56 Nextnight, tomorrow night.
57 Bram, baramble or blackberry.
58 Impresst, impressed.
59 Enhancet, enhanced.
60 Undresst, undressed.
61 Humbelth, humbleness.
62 Gentelth, gentleness.
62 Forgett, forgotten.
63 Self-lothing, self-loathing.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos