Castle The Series - 0069 Honesty, Grandparents, Mint, Gloria

Printer-friendly version

Castle The Series - 0069 Honesty, Grandparents, Mint, Gloria

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004510

LATE AFTERNOON 2ND QDAY HONESTY (32) AND PETER (41), BELLA (1l)

Both had expressed their hope Honesty was pregnant. “But to make sure,” Honesty telt Peter with mock anxiety, “it may be a good idea to try regularly.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004520

EARLY EVE TO BEDTIME JUDITH AND STORM, MATILDA (65) EVAN (68)

“You don’t have to be in love to make love, but if you are it is infinitely better.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004530

EVE JASMINE, LILAC, ASH AND BEECH SING

“We are just folk, Kevin, and your parents now.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004540

GLORIA 28 AND PEREGRINE (28)

Gloria wished to enjoy a man thiseve and Peregrine was available. If, as she expected, Peregrine asked her to marry him she would accept.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004510

DOMESTIC MATTERS

LATE AFTERNOON 2ND QDAY HONESTY (32) AND PETER (41), BELLA (1l)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

1st of Chent Day 4

Two and a half hours after her appearance, and much to the surprise of both of them, Honesty and Peter were much in love. They had behaved as if they were a pair of sixteen year olds, much to their mutual joy and satisfaction, and both had expressed their hope Honesty was pregnant. “But to make sure,” Honesty telt(1) Peter with mock anxiety, “it may be a good idea to try regularly.”

“Yes,” he said with an equally false expression on his face, “just to be sure.”

Unable to spaek(2) for their laughter, the pair ran hand in hand towards the Keep. A little later, with somewhat more dignity, they entered the infirmary and the temporary healer affairs chamber that was dealing with the young incomers. Iris, the senior healer on duty who was managing the children of the incursion was a rotund little woman in her early forties who had eight children. She was renowned for her kindth(3) and work with sick or troubled children, and she asked, “I hearet(4) you were on your way, what keept(5) you?”

Without a tremor in her voice Honesty replied, “Domestic matters.”

“I see,” said Iris. She had a pretty good idea what that meant, but she was pleased for the couple and their obvious joy. She said, “Would you prefer a babe or an older one? Contrary to what you may believe babes are harder for us to place, and there are herbs that will bring in your milk.”

Peter looked at Honesty uneasy at the turn of the conversation. “Should I go for a few minutes?”

Honesty suffered a second of panic, because her immediate fear was Peter was regretting his actions and was now abandoning her, but she realised almost as quickly Peter was responding to a different set of cultural norms. Despite her understanding, she naytheless was a little testy in her reply, “No, Peter, stay. To the Folk these are not women’s matters, they’re family matters.” Then realising her tone of voice had been a little inappropriate she smiled at him, squeezed his hand and said, “Please, Peter, I need you here.” Iris, perplexed as to why Peter should wish to go, even if for just a few minutes, didn’t understand what was behind the exchange that had just taken place, and remained silent. Honesty turned to Iris and half stated half asked, “If I’m feeding a babe it’s unbelike(6) I shall become pregnant till the babe is weant,(7) is that not so, Iris?”

“It’s not guaranteet,(8) but usually that’s so. However, even for a previous mother of several children the herbs could take any where from three to fiveteen(9) days to work, and its possible you could become pregnant in that time.”

Honesty said with a chuckle, “It’s possible I’m pregnant now. If that happent(10) could I feed two, Iris?”

“Certainly,” Iris replied, “Mothers with twins do. It’s not quite the same, but it’s oft done with babes close birtht,(11) and the incomer babes are currently being fed by mothers who are nursing their own too.” She laught, “Molly the baker,” seeing the puzzled expression on Peter’s face she added, “wife to Briar the Miller, is eight lunes pregnant, is still feeding her lastbirtht(12) and has given a place to a three lune babe she has naemt(13) Quince, and whilst she’s organising the care to the babes is nursing at least a half dozen times a day besides.” She laught again, “Of course she has her sister Philomena with her to mind the little ones, but she’s the one feeding them. Mind you, Briar always doet(14) say she produces more milk than a milch cow.”

Honesty turned to Peter, “Would you prefer a babe, Peter? Don’t say it’s up to me because if I’m pregnant and nursing there will be a lot more work for you to do.” Her expression softened, “I should love a girl babe, but it’s your decision, Peter, and don’t make it for me. Make it for us all, you, me, the boys and Dad too.”

“Let’s go and look at the little girls then,” he said without hesitation, “and you’d better start doing what ever it is you do with those herbs.”

An hour later an overjoyed Honesty and Peter were carrying a crib home with a just-fed, sleeping, one lune old daughter in it, who had been named Pollen, a name which neither of them liekt.(15) A pile of instructions from Iris, a bottle of herbal extract and the knowledge till her milk came in, Hannah, one of Honesty’s neighbours, would call several times a day to feed their daughter completed their load. Iris had said it would help her milk to come in if Honesty started to nurse Pollen straightforth, even if naught came of it. Best to do it when Hannah was there, she had said, so as Pollen didn’t scream too much from shear frustration, and she could be fed after a few minutes dry nursing. When they had reached what Honesty realised with satisfaction was her now much bigger family’s home she asked, “Bella?”

Peter replied, “Bella!” and that was that.

Abel and the boys were at home and readying their fishing tackle when the couple and Bella arrived home. The boys expressed incredulity a person could be so small, and when Abel said, “You were all that small once you know,” they refused to believe it.

“We weren’t, were we, Mum?”

“Yes, you were, you were even smaller when you were birtht.(16) I was there, so I know,” their mother insisted, which confounded them.

Abel telt them to pack everything and put their outdoor clothes on, so they could leave and allow their parents to settle Bella. With a, “We’ll be back in four hours,” they were away within a few minutes.

As Honesty taekt(17) the crib into their bedchamber it came to her Peter had never been there before and she was tired. “Abel will see to the boys, he’s stopping here thisnight(18) and going to arrange for a chamber close by nextday.(19) Can we settle Bella and go to bed till Hannah arrives? And leave the tour and the rest till nextday, Love?” she asked. “I can’t believe how tiren(20) I am.”

“I too, it’s been an eventful day.”

Still in the first stage of being in love they undresst(21) each other, and as they were falling asleep in each other’s arms Peter asked, “Happy, Love?”

“Yes, and thisday(22) is my best day for conceiving, everything’s perfect,” and that was the last either of them was aware of till Hannah awakened them at ten over ten to feed Bella. By the time Bella had been fed, winded, changed and was ready for bed, Abel and the boys had returned. They all had a mug of leaf and some supper.

Abel telt them, “You two go to bed. You look exhaustet,(23) and you’ll no doubt have to be up betimes with Bella. I’ll see to the boys. We maekt(24) my bed up earlier, so there’s little to do.” Honesty put Bella in her crib, and the couple were asleep almost as their heads touched their pillows. That was the last either of them were aware of till Bella awakened them at half seven.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004520

GRANDPARENTS, BRILLIANT

EARLY EVE TO BEDTIME JUDITH AND STORM, MATILDA (65) EVAN (68)

1st of Chent Day 4

A runner caught up with Judith and Storm before the eve meal to ask them to go to the Master at arms offices as soon as possible. Despite Matthew’s tireth(25) which maekt him difficult, they went immediately to be telt Matilda and Evan, though predisposed to accept Judith and Storm’s suggestions, had decided to listen to the Quarterday appearances any way. There had been nothing they were interested in, and they had decided to marry, but they wished to know if the offer from Judith and Storm was still open because if it were they wished to accept. Judith and Storm replied naturally the offer was still open, and they were going to eat at home thisnight. Judith asked if the Master at arms staff would send a runner to ask if Matilda and Evan would like to join them, though they would understand if Matilda and Evan wished to celebrate their marriage elsewhere.

A runner was summoned and despatched with the message and instructions to make sure if the couple agreed they knew how to find Judith’s and Storm’s chambers. Judith\ suggested Storm go for the children, whilst she taekt a now sleeping Matthew home and maekt a start organising the domestic paraphernalia they had been assured would be delivered before the early eve, prior to organising a meal. They separated, and Judith arrived home to find the entrance just inside the door blocked with the packages resulting from the afternoon’s expedition. She pushed them to one side and entered carrying Matthew, who fascinated by the packages had awoken(26) and insisted on being put down.

Judith had no sooner started to bring the packages in when his interest waned, but she soon managed to get him asleep in the chair with the blanket that Iola had uest(27) the night before. She taekt some of the packages into the children’s bedchambers to leave on their beds for them to decide where they wished to put the contents to find the bedroom furniture had been left in the middle of the chambers with the bedding on them. Ignoring the furniture for the while she sorted the remaining packages into two piles, things she needed immediately and things that could wait till nextday if need be. She washed the items she required immediately and had started to prepare the meal when Storm arrived with the children, all full of the afternoon’s events, and all wanting to tell her of them.

Storm said, “You listen to this lot. I’ll continue with the food. I take it it’s all out?”

“Yes, a venison casserole was what I had planned. I’ve cubed the meat, but the vegetables need preparing. And the bedroom furniture needs moving.”

“I’ll start on the vegetables, Dad,” Iola telt him, “if you want to move the furniture.” In a matter of minutes Storm had the various pieces of furniture in appropriate places and returned to help Iola.

Despite the noise of the three children, Matthew didn’t awaken, and as the tales of their afternoon adventures in the Greathall unfolded the noise level gradually went down. After telling Judith their tales they decided to retire to their bedchambers to make beds, organise their new possessions and to play. Alwydd who had returned said he was going to look at a book on falconry he had borrowed. Judith went into the kitchen to hear Iola telling Storm of what she and Heron had spaken(28) of, which had mostly been her asking questions of Castle and the Folk. Some of which he had been able to answer and some of which he had not. But he hadn’t pretended to knowledge he didn’t have, and Storm clearly approven of him. “How old is he, Dear?” asked Judith.

“Fourteen, Mum, seventeen of our years. He’s starting his apprenticeship this lune. He asked me to go to the dance with him, but I said I should have to ask you first. May I go if I am home by half past ten?”

Storm looked at Judith and replied, “I shall collect you at half to midnight, Iola.”

Amazed by this parental licence, Iola was overcome with tears and stammered out her gratitude. Judith said in explanation, “You will be adult in half a year. We have to make sure you are ready for that don’t we? You go and ready your clothes for the dance and then let Heron know you will be going. I presume you can do that?”

“Yes.”

“Good, now off you go.”

Storm finished preparing the meal and put it into the solid fuel oven to cook. He turned to Judith and said, “That young man is a good and well reart(29) young man, and she’ll be lookt(30) after well. He has had any number of girls and young women interestet(31) in him and, for what ever reason, shewn no real interest in any of them. Orchid is desperately trying to find one to take his fancy. I have no idea how interestet in him Iola is. It may just be a girlish fancy, but I suspect he’s seriously interestet in her, and I don’t wish either of them to be hurt as a result of her naïveté. You must explain this to her because I am not sure I know how.”

They continued spaeking(32) quietly of Heron and Iola when there was a knock at the door. A runner telt them Matilda and Evan would be with them in an hour less the quarter that had elapsed since he had seen them. They laid the table, and shortly afterwards Iola came back saying, “Heron is going to meet me here at eight, and we’ll walk round to the dance to stay out of the co…caltth.”(33)

Judith and Storm both smiled when Iola changed mid-word from English to Folk. Judith checked Matthew was still asleep and the others occupied before saying to Iola, “Come into our bedchamber. I need to talk to you. Your dad will listen to check I don’t miss anything out whilst he makes sure the others don’t disturb us.” Seeing the stricken expression on Iola’s face she continued, “There’s no need to worry, Love, you’re not in trouble. You are nearly grown up, and there are grown up things you need to know.” They went into the bedchamber, and Judith telt Iola what Storm had telt her, “So you see, Dear, he’s much more vulnerable than you are. You mustn’t promise more than you mean. I’m not talking of making love. I’m talking of love itself. Do you understand me?”

“Yes, Mum. I know about making love, and I know about being in love. I have no experience of either, but I understand the difference. I think I may end up in love with Heron, and if I do I know I shall want to make love with him. But I shall never hurt him by promising more than I mean. Is it, love I mean, as wonderful as they say?”

“Oh yes,” replied Judith her eyes softening as she stroked Iola’s hair. “Being in love is wonderful, and so is making love with someone who cares for you. You don’t have to be in love to make love, but if you are it is infinitely better. So you remember that and enjoy yourself thiseve,(34) but don’t promise what you don’t mean, and don’t do anything you are not totally happy doing.”

“Mum, I didn’t exactly have a good family before, though I do still miss them, but I have a wonderful one now. I love you and I love Dad and the others too. I’m so happy.”

Somewhat tearful, she hugged Judith who kissed her forehead and smiled at Storm in the doorway. She untangled Iola and said, “Go and wash your face. Your grandparents are coming to eat with us. When you’ve done that you can chase the boys in for a wash too, if you would?”

“Grandparents, brilliant! The meeting was a success then?”

“It looks that way. Now hop to it, young woman.”

“Yes, Mum.” As Iola went through the doorway, she kissed Storm saying, “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too, Iola,” he said. Judith and Storm went to each other, and holding both of her hands Storm said, “It will become easier with time as you and they become more Folk. She’s a good girl and will become a good woman. She probably will fall in love with him because she seems to wish to. You were right by the bye. You don’t have to be in love to make love, but if you are it is infinitely better.”

“Yes, I know.”

They left a lot unsaid that didn’t need saying, and as they went to check the casserole they could hear the sounds of two reluctant boys being chased by their three sisters into the washing chamber. Iola and Stephanie could be heard laughing at Heidi who could be heard shouting, “Alwydd, you stink of dogs and horses, so get in there and don’t come out till you’re clean you dirty, smelly beast. And that goes for you too, Rock, or you can make your own beds up. Clean clothes. Both of you. Boys! And put your dirty clothes in a laundry bag because we’re not going to touch them.” The three girls continued making beds up and putting things away.

Twenty minutes later there was a knock on the door, and Alwydd, now washed and sulky but in clean clothes, opened the door to Matilda and Evan. Unfortunately, Judith and Storm, in their concerns over Iola, had forgotten to tell the others of their grandparents, and Iola had assumed the others had been telt whilst she was out. Things were a little chaotic awhile, till Matthew awoke in the midst of the confusion and started crying because of the noise when it became even worse.

Eventually calm was restored, Iola taekt Matthew to the facility and telt Heidi to find some clean clothes for him. Heidi, who was a cheerful and helpful girl of considerable intelligence and wit, said laughing, “Yes, Mum,” but she fetcht(35) the clothes, and the two girls soon had Matthew clean and presentable. Introductions having being maekt in the living space, Rock was telling Evan of his dancing, Alwydd was telling him of the squad and Stephanie having managed to scramble onto Matilda’s knee was describing her paintings. Iola, Heidi and Matthew returned and further introductions were maekt.

Judith went to check the casserole and announced, “Dinner will be on the table in fifteen minutes.” She removed Stephanie from Matilda’s knee and said, “None of us are quite used to all this yet, but the facility is that way, and there is mixed fruit juice and red wine to choose from.”

Matilda said, “Don’t worry about me with the children, but the facility is where?” When she returned she asked for a glass of wine and sat sipping it whilst Evan drank fruit juice.

When they sat down to eat Storm put Iola between Matilda and Evan, explaining, “Her young man is coming for her at eight to go to the dance, and the rest of you have the entire eve to bother your grandparents. And yes, Stephanie, you can sit next to Granny.”

Alwydd wished to know why he couldn’t he go to the dance. Heidi on form replied, “because Heron didn’t want to dance with you because you’re not pretty enough.”

The meal was a success and lasted a long time. Iola went to change and was ready a few minutes before Heron arrived. She looked girlishly attractive in a mid-longth(36) amber gown with a lace shawl lent to her by Judith, who had only acquired it that afternoon. Heron was a tall, slender, pleasant rather than good looking young man whose assured but deferential manner was of someone older than fourteen. He had a little of the look of his father, Bay, but much more of his mother, Orchid. He chatted for a minute or two, managing to have spaech(37) with every one at least once, when Storm said, “You had better leave now whilst you can, Son, or this lot will make you miss the dance altogether.” Heron held his hand out to a flusht(38) Iola, and they left hand in hand with wishes they have a good eve.

The rest of the eve the family spent playing games and chatting. The adults finished two bottles of wine, and Stephanie and Matthew were put to bed half asleep. Heidi and Rock went uncomplainingly to bed at half to ten. Alwydd went a quarter of an hour later, explaining to his grandparents it was his turn, with Wayland, to clean, exercise and feed some of the birds nextday, so he had to be up early. Judith asked Matilda and Evan if they would like to stay the night rather than go back to their chambers. She was blunt and said, “We’ve a spare large chamber which has a double and a single bed in it. The girls made them both up earlier. It has an ajoining sitting room for your privacy, and we would all like it if you would live with us, Mum, Dad.” There was an uneasy silence as Matilda and Evan realised their own chambers were single chambers and it was after all their wedding night.

Matilda braekt the silence with laughter saying, “I don’t want to go back to my chamber on my own. I was married today.” She turned to Evan saying, “I don’t expect to be carried over the threshold, Dear, but if you’ll hold my hand I’ll take it as such.”

Evan smiled and said, “I’ll hold your hand, my dear, and I don’t want to go back to my chamber on my own either.” He turned to Judith and said, “You were right, loneliness is something to be endured, and our lives are much better already for being without it. We shall discuss where we shall live later.”

Matilda asked Judith, “It’s not absolutely necessary, but have you a nightie I may borrow, Dear?”

“I’m sure you’d get lost in all of mine, Mum, but I’ll fetch you one of Iola’s which will fit you.”

The sleeping arrangements for the night were organised then and there, and at quarter over eleven Storm said, “I have to go and collect Iola now. We can discuss more permanent arrangements when I return. I’ll only be half an hour at most.”

He put a coat on and walked across the courtyard to the Greathall where he met Heron and Iola awaiting him. Both had looks of joy on their faces, and they were holding hands. Heron lived in the opposite direction from Iola. The pair kissed quickly, and Heron waved as he went on his way. Iola waved and followed Storm, this time walking the long way berount(39) using the Keep walkways.

“Dad?”

“Yes, Love.”

“How do I know if what I want to do is right?”

Storm understood Iola was trying to balance what her head, her heart and her hormones were doing to her, and she was trying to do it responsibly. He thought a few moments and replied, “The best answer I have is what your mother telt you earlier. Don’t promise what you are not sure you will wish to do, and don’t do aught you are not sure you are ready for. I’m not going to tell you what or what not to do. I can’t because I’m not you.”

Iola thought for a little while and telt him, “When Heron asked if he could kiss me I told him what Mum told me. I said yes, but I told him that was all he could do. I’m glad I said yes to the kisses. They were exciting and gave me feelings I didn’t understand, but I know I’d like more of them. I’m glad I said that was all Heron could do because they were a bit scary too. I may wish to do more next time, but I’m not sure and till I’m sure I won’t allow any more.”

Storm telt her, “You listent(40) to your mum and feelt(41) comfortable as a result of taking her advice. When you’re ready for more you’ll know, and then that will be comfortable too.” As they walked back through the Keep walkways Iola put her hand out. Storm put her arm through his, and they both walked back thinking how lucky they were. Storm proud of his daughter and her behaviour, and Iola thinking what a wonderful thing it was to have a mum, but especially a dad, who tried to help her grow up instead of one who tried to keep her repressed in childhood.

They arrived back home for Storm to find another bottle of wine open, and Judith offered Iola some. “No thank you, Mum. Heron and I tried a glass at the dance between us, and we agreed the grownups could keep it. We’ll leave it till we’re grown up, maybe it’ll taste different then. I’m tired and I’m going to bed. It was a lovely dance, thank you for letting me go. I’m sorry, Granny, Granddad, I’m really not trying to be rude, but I didn’t sit a single dance out, and I am tired.” She kissed all four of them, Storm last saying, “You’re the best Dad in the world. Goodnight all.”

The adults discussed the arrangements for the future. Matilda and Evan were happy to live with their new family, and when the bottle was empty Matilda stood and said, “I’ve enjoyed tonight and can’t say how happy I am to have a husband, a family and a future to look forward to, but I’m ready for bed too, Evan.”

Matilda held her hand out, and he rose a little unsteadily saying with embarrassment, “Me to. My eldest grandchild has more sense than the rest of us. I really miss my stick, Matilda. I must get another. Goodnight all.”

Judith and Storm rose and went to bed too. When they were in bed, Storm telt Judith of his conversation with Iola saying, “No doubt she’ll tell you of it when she has the chance. But I bethink me she probably will end up marryt(42) to him, and if so I hope the pair of them are as happy as I am.”

Judith agreed with him and asked, “You up to working on our other project?”

Storm chuckled and replied, “The one thing none ever callt(43) me was work shy.”

Nearly an hour later they were discussing the events of the day and Judith said, “You know I told you about television and the rubbish that was on it and all the other forms of so called entertainment that existed where I came from, Storm.”

“Yes, what of it, them or what ever?”

“None of the children have even once mentioned any of them. I should have thought they would have missed them, but they can’t have done.”

“Too busy enjoying themselfs, Love,” Storm said. “Why should they miss watching or being telt of some other doing something when they can do some thing themselfs.(44) Children like doing things, they like being busy, they hate being bort(45) when there is naught to do. I know I was, and I should have been bort by all those things you telt me of because I shouldn’t have been doing aught.”

“I suspect you’re right, Love. You bored now? Because I can think of something for us to do if you’re not too tired.”

Storm’s non-verbal answer was entirely satisfactory to his desperate to become pregnant wife.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004530

LET MINT DANCE WITH HER DAD

EVE JASMINE, LILAC, ASH AND BEECH SING

1st of Chent Day 4

Yew’s Quarterday dinner party had ended as a somewhat muted affair due to the passing of Hazel, but the Folk endured that as all other misfortune, had it not been so they would have dien(46) out generations over. The Quarterday festivities continued in hostelries, private dwellings and most notably in the Greathall. After dinner Yew and his guests all went to the Great Hall.

After dinner Mint was dancing with Kevin and enjoying herself enormously. Despite her girlish shape, her agreement with Kevin enabled her to feel more womanly than she had ever been able to envisage. All she wished now was to be pregnant, and she was sure that would happen betimes. She had arranged with her mum to introduce Kevin to her parents later that eve. She had telt Kevin her parents’ names, but they hadn’t meant aught to him. She was a little nervous wondering what Kevin’s reaction was going to be when he realised she was the youngest child of Yew, Lord of Castle. She was also wondering if her mum had telt her dad of Kevin yet. She’d wished to tell her dad herself, but she’d not been able to find him earlier. When she saw her parents across the hall she she telt Kevin, “Mum and Dad are over there, come on I wish you to meet each other.” Rowan, seeing them arm in arm coming towards her, elbowed her husband in the ribs, and Mint could see her terminating Yew’s conversation and steering him towards them.

Yew kissed his favourite daughter and said, “I telt you your patience was requiert,(47) and all has come to pass as I sayt(48) it would.” He shook Kevin by the hand, patted his shoulder and said, “Well come to the family, Son.”

Kevin recognised Yew, but he had not associated Yew Mint’s father with Yew Lord of Castle, and he was rendered spaechless.(49) Rowan seeing his distress hugged him and kissed his cheek saying, “We are just folk, Kevin, and your parents now. I wish you to dance with me and let Mint dance with your dad.” She taekt his hand, and they went to the dance floor. They danced for nearly half an hour during which time she explained marrying Mint gave him privileges and obligations. Seeing the expression on his face she said, “We know that is not why you marryt her, and trust me the obligations will outweigh the privileges though your most important obligation is to provide us with grandchildren. Come and dine with us nextday, and we shall discuss your future. Mint will have telt your dad everything regards you now, and he will be happy for her. Now take me back to Yew, reclaim your wife and enjoy yourselfs.”(50)

When Mint and he were back on the dance floor again, he asked, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Mint kissed him and said, “Would it have maekt any difference, Kevin?”

Kevin thought deeply and eventually said, “No. I should have loved you no matter who your mum and dad were.”

Gosellyn and her kin couldn’t escape the deadth(51) of Hazel because of the frequent expressions of sorrow and sympathy they experienced. They knew the expressions were all genuine. The Folk had liekt and admired Hazel, and they had the right to voice those expressions, they missed her too. They danced as much as any for that too was part of the Way. Endurance, not stoicism, was their creed.

In the Greathall, entertainers of every kind within their varied craft were represented and practising their crafts. There were story-tellers and poets, singers and musicians, dancers and dance callers, and jugglers and acrobats. Even the walls were covered, and the embrasures filled, with the works of the painters and sculptors. But first and foremost there was dancing. Dances of every speed and level of complexity, slow dances the elders could dance forgetting their age awhile, moderate dances for the more sedate just intent on enjoying the eve, fast dances that exhilarated and set the pulses of the young racing, easy dances the very young, who all enjoyed dancing, could master, reasonable dances most could dance with confidence and complex dances for the dedicated. The dances came in every combination, dances for couples, dances for groups and dances for as many as the huge dance floor could hold.

The Greathall was so large there were invariably several different activities going on simultaneously. There was food, for those still hungry, and drink of all kinds. There were the romantic interludes of Quarterday couples, threesomes and moresomes who were not ready to call a halt to the day and go home. There were the experimental interludes of the younger Folk, which were considered to be the normal method by which youngsters learnt the craft of adulthood. Many of the entertainers were craft entertainers, but many were not. Many of the Folk sang or played instruments, and many were poets or story-tellers. Flute music was especially popular because many Folk played the instrument, oft in groups of a dozen or more. Happith was a highly regarded solo flute performer because of the beauty of his compositions.

Non-craft entertainment was as appreciated as the, may hap more polished, performances of the crafters. Many of the Folk uest the Greathall regularly during both day and eve for dancing and rehearsal for Quarterday Gathers. Children, and adults, practised dancing, and much else, for the enthusiastic audience of a Gather, and they enjoyed performing for others as much as they did for the sake of it. Lilac, having rehearsed a ballad with her agreäns(52) for almost the rest of the day after the trio’s appearance, shared a huge success, and she enjoyed it enormously. She thought the trio, who sang another five songs, maekt wonderful music, and she was looking forward to going home with them and singing in the eves after the day’s work was over to widen her repertoire.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004540

SHEW ME THE BED FOR NOW

GLORIA 28 AND PEREGRINE (28)

1st of Chent Day4

Gloria had been telt by the Master at arms staff if need be they would introduce her to several men at the dance, but they thought she may find Peregrine of particular interest. She was twenty-eight, slightly tall for a woman, and she had light auburn hair that fell to her shoulders. She was slender, and in spite of having been considered to be an attractive woman, had never found a man she wished permanently, nor had children. She was an ex-retail worker, which she had always considered to be just a way of earning enough to pay the rent. Her hobby was turning and carving wooden tableware and love spoons, treen(53) to the Folk, which she had selt(54) at craft fairs. She had maekt some excellent copies of antique Welsh love spoons which she was proud of, but alas, they hadn’t come to Castle with her. She had telt the Master at arms staff she wished a man and children, but would like someone who at least was understanding of her ex-hobby, now craft. She had been introduced to Peregrine after the dinner who was introduced as a Master woodworker. He was a small man of her highth(55) with an intense, but she thought, not unattractive face.

“I was marryt at sixteen,” he telt her, “but we endet(56) our marriage when I was twenty-two. We had no children, and by then no longer any real interest in each other. I am now twenty-eight, and I tend to be a bit single mindet(57) regards my craft, especially challenging new work. I had not done aught regards finding a wife, though I always knoewn(58) I should, but possibly because of a fear of another failure I hadn’t even registert(59) I was seeking a wife with the Master at arms office.”

“So how did the Master at arms staff know to introduce us?” Gloria asked him.

“Probably one of my sisters telt them,” he had replied. “They’ve all been chasing me to find a wife for some time now.” They had spaken of their craft interests, and Peregrine had been interested in the special gouges which were pulled not pushed, Gloria referred to them as scorps,(60) that she uest to carve the hollows in the bowls of spoons. “I’ll take you to one of the smiths to have some maekt. Nuthatch makes a similar tool for the farriers,” he had offered.

She had asked him what he was working on at the moment, and he had telt her of the spinning wheels and of his interest in carving individual babe’s cribs. She had telt him of some of the work she had done recently, and he had mentioned the skeiners(61) he had designed. “I think they’re what are referred to as niddy-noddies where I come from,” she had telt him, “but I like the name skeiners better.” Their conversation on craft matters gradually ended, and Gloria realised, even if she didn’t reach agreement with Peregrine, at least she had a kindred spirit in craft matters. She telt him bluntly, “I am here looking for a man to marry and start a family with. If you are interested I’d like to talk about that, but if you are not I’ll meet you nextday to pursue craft matters and those gouges, and I’ll see about another introduction.”

Peregrine had said, “I doet tell you I’m a bit single mindet regards craft matters, but I too am here to find a wife, and I should like to have spaech of that. I should like children too. Would you like to dance?”

Gloria held her hand out to him, and they maekt their way to the dance floor. To her surprise he was light on his feet and an elegant dancer. They danced and sat a few out still spaeking of marriage and a family. After an hour they both realised they liekt each other and sooner or later it was time to make a decision. Gloria thought, since it was a little late for another introduction, her choices were Peregrine or try to find someone else another time. She had always been honest with herself, and as she reviewed the eve’s events carefully she decided since she had chosen to spend the rest of the eve with him after their craft conversation ended she was interested in marrying Peregrine. Thinking it through, she knew her craft was respected and understood by him, she liekt him, and it was a long time since she had enjoyed a man. She wished to enjoy one thiseve and Peregrine was available. If, as she expected, Peregrine asked her to marry him she would accept.

Peregrine was honest concerning himself too, in common with most of the Folk he had few illusions. He decided, given his somewhat obsessive attitude to his craft, he could probably be happy with any woman, despite his previous failure. He required someone to have a care to who cared to him, and he wished a family. Gloria could share his workshop, and there would be the added bonus of sharing a love of working the wood. Like Gloria it was a long time since he had enjoyed the pleasures of the bedchamber, or indeed thought of it, and he wished to thiseve.

They looked at each other, and recognising their mutual desire Gloria asked, “Is your bed big enough for two for at least thiseve?”

“Yes, and any other eve too. Do we have agreement, Gloria?”

Gloria, as she had decided she would, replied, “Yes, we do.”

“I’ll shew you my bed thiseve, and my workshop nextday if you like?”

“I’d like that. How big is your workshop then?”

Peregrine chuckled and replied, “I knoewn we’d return the really important things eventually. It’s big enough for both of us if you’d like that.”

He held his hand out to her, and as she put hers in it she said, “Shew me the bed for now. I have what I came for.” Still holding hands they went for their coats and to go and look at Peregrine’s bed.”

~o~O~o~

The following morning over breakfast Gloria asked, “Peregrinne, do you understand what I mean by a shave horse?”

“Certainly, Why?”

Could you make me one? I wondered if they had another name here.”

“No problem. That would take me less than an hour to make.”

“Do you know what I mean by a spoon mule and a bowl mare?”

“No. Explain to me. May hap we have another name for them.”

Gloria explained and Peregrine said, “We have no such tools, but I could make the bench so you can have all three as attachments. All would be finisht in less than three hours and I could modify or make better versions of any of the working pieces as you had a want. All would be desired by other woodworkers, so there is may hap tokens to be maekt with them. Gratitude, My Love. I’ll make a start on yours betimes.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac

Word Usage Key

1 Telt, told.
2 Spaek, speak.
3 Kindth, kindness.
4 Hearet, heard.
5 Keept, kept.
6 Unbelike, unlikely.
7 Weant, weaned.
8 Guaranteet, Guaranteed.
9 Fiveteen, fifteen.
10 Happent, happened.
11 Close birtht, born close together. A term usually indicating babes born within a year (fourteen lunes) of each other, usually to the same mother, but not exclusively so.
12 Lastbirtht, last born.
13 Naemt, named.
14 Doet, did, pronounced dote.
15 Liekt, liked.
16 Birtht, born.
17 Taekt, took.
18 Thisnight, tonight.
19 Nextday, tomorrow.
20 Tiren, tired.
21 Undresst, undressed.
22 Thisday, today.
23 Exhaustet, exhausted.
24 Maekt, made.
25 Tireth, tiredness.
26 Awoken in Folk is an intransitive verb form – one does it oneself. Awaken in Folk is a transitive verb form – someone awakens one. So, ‘I awoke’ and ‘My husband awakened me’ are both ok, but ‘My husband awoke me’ is not.
27 Uest, used.
28 Spaken, spoken.
29 Reart, reared.
30 Lookt, looked.
31 Interestet, Interested.
32 Spaeking, speaking.
33 Caltth, cold, noun.
34 Thiseve, this evening.
35 Fetched, fetched.
36 Mid-longth, mid-length.
37 Spaech, speech.
38 Flusht,flushed.
49 Berount, around.
40 Listent, listened.
41 Feelt, felt.
42 Marryt, married.
43 Callt, called.
44 Themselfs, themselves.
45 Bort, bored.
46 Dien, died.
47 Requiert, required.
48 Sayt, said.
49 Spaechless, speechless.
50 Yourselfs,yourselves.
51 Deadth, death.
52 Agreän(s), the person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
53 Treen, wooden goods, tree(n) literally from a tree, is a generic term for small handmade functional household objects, often turned, carved or both.
54 Selt, sold.
55 Highth, height.
56 Endet, ended.
57 Mindet, minded.
58 Knoewn, knew.
59 Registeret, registered.
60 Scorp, a pulled gouge. The blade is U shaped and one or both of the arms may tanged and fitted into the handle. Some are O shaped on the end the tang. Google ‘scorp tool’ on images for pictures.
61 Skeiner, niddy-noddy. Google ‘niddy-noddy’ on images for pictures.

up
23 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos