Castle The Series - 0119 Quantitative Easing, Social Misfits, Sunwarmth

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00387010

QUANTITATIVE EASING

SOCIAL MISFITS

1st of Towin Day 387

The only matters of real import to the Council were the progress of the new mill over the Arder and any new information concerning the changt, all other matters were quickly disposed of. Gareth asked, “Joseph, had you had any news from Briar concerning the mill yet?”

“Aye. Master miller Briar is still over the river at the mill, but half a tenner since I recievt his latest note in which he opines the mill will easily be ready for milling this year’s harvest, though not at full capacity. The buildings are all finisht, as are all works requiert for the management of the water. All that remains are the internal workings, most of which are under cover, so work on them can proceed even in poor weather. His note has already been sent to your office, Thomas, for the archivists.”

Most of the Councillors were relieved, for there would be serious discontent if they were seen to have lent the enormous sum required from the Collective(1) in one year and the mill had had no out put in that year. It would be argued better to have lent the tokens over two or even three years and insist on a slower construction for then there would have been some tokens for the Council to use on other matters. Those who understood such matters knew that was an invalid point of view, but accepted most folk would not understand how Sagon could just produce more tokens and accept them back later as Collective contributions when the mill was in full production and then burn them. Neither Sagon nor any of the Councillors had ever heard of quantitative easing,(2) but ensuring there were enough tokens in circulation for the Folk to conduct their day to day activities and then making sure there were not so many as to push the Folk back to a purely barter exchange system(3) was a part of his rôle as the Master of the Collective.

That was all Joseph had to say, so Gareth indicated to Swegn that he could tell them what he knew regards the situation twixt the bigots and the changt.

“Most of the bigots are now ignoring the changt at the explicit order of their families, kin and kith. They had been warnt of what we intend to do to them if they continue with their past behaviours and telt next time they would be on their own for Castle to reclaim, for their families, kin and kith have no intention of becoming involvt a second time. The bruises and contusions on a number indicatet they had clearly been informt by a hands on approach. I’ve been telt the diehards have been seeking placements away from the Keep, but none of them have been acceptet by any of the various enterprises away from the Keep. Antisocial misfits are a problem at the Keep, but potentially life threatening at any enterprise elsewhere. So to aid the miners, foresters and holders and prevent them creating serious problems for themselfs through a perceivt act of kindth I sent them all an explanation of events and a list of the bigots by rapid runners and stymiet the bigots before the smell of their effluent shower had totally fadet. I have no idea what the diehards will do next, but I have folk who are not known to be changt close to many of them. They are unaware they are being watcht.”

What Swegn did not mention was that he wished the diehards all in one place: the Keep. He did not wish them learning survival skills at a distance from the Keep from where they could possibly disappear, form their own holding in a place unknown to any other than their kind and represent a permanent future danger to the changt. Far better that they stayed at the Keep where they would not think to acquire any skills they had no immediate need for. All together at the Keep if need be they could be dealt with permanently and quickly. He was already considering how to go about provoking them so that the changt could eliminate them entirely in accord with the Way. Any who could not be provoked he opined were no real threat to his kind and isolated from the diehards would revert to behaving in accord with the Way. All of which was known to only a few of the changt.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00396010

TRESS

APPLEBLOSSOM

10th of Towin Day 396

Twenty-five year old Tress had agreement with her wife twenty-seven year old Bryony. Both their babes had been fathered by Gordon. Gordon was the man of Livette one of Tress’ sisters. Gordon had had to be bullied into sharing a bed with the pair by Livette, but as before had refused to bed them overnight. He spent several afternoons a tenner with them till to his relief both had announced their pregnancy. Gordon enjoyed his time with the women, but he was devoted to Livette and felt guilty at his enjoyment. Livette telt him that had he not enjoyed the matter that would have been grossly insulting to her sisters. Tress had admitted to Bryony that though being bedd by Gordon was pleasant, enjoyable even, she was happier to spend her nights in bed with Bryony, for that was her nature. Bryony had agreed, but added that since they couldn’t make each other pregnant it would be wise to keep their options open with Gordon, for both willen more children. The two women had been happy for Gordon to father their children with no obligations on him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. It was a condition of bedding them, and he’d insisted on his right as the father to be present at their birthings. Gordon was the father of Tress’s two boys Whin and Plane and had been devastated when Lavender his daughter by Tress had dien from the fevers. Too, Gordon had always insisted on standing as father to Tunn, though Tunn was the son of Balsam Tress’ previous wife who had been loes to the fevers and had been fathered by a cousin of Balsalm’s who had dien from the fevers too.

Bryony had birtht her babe Cobalt a lune since and he was a healthy little boy whose hair was coming in a reddish blond though they both knew that could change. The pair had threwn names at each other for tenners and though Appleblossom would normally be associated with girls Tress had decided on it even should her babe be a boy.

Tress’ daughter Appleblossom was birtht in the early forenoon after a three hour birthing. Tress was hale and if not fresh eager to be up from her birthing bed and to discard her bed jacket. “I have done this three times before you know,” was her justification With Appleblossom to her breast and a mug of leaf to her hand she was discussing babe minding arrangements with Bryony as soon as all except Livette and Gordon had left. “The good thing is whoever is looking after the babes can nurse them both, Bryony, which will make life a lot easier.”

“There’s a thought,” Livette exclaimed. “I’m still nursing Lotus, so I can join you too. Lotus is a somewhat uneven feeder, so I have too much milk sometimes and not enough at others. Nursing another and having a source of extra when she is hungry would be helpful and doubtless you will find it convenient too, Sisters.”

Tress nodded and said, “Any hap they are all siskonen,(4) so sharing milk is not just natural it’s tight and proper too. I do hope you’re keeping Gordon in practice, for we’ll be needing him again betimes.”

Gordon went went bright red, and as Livette pushed him towards the door she said, “Indeed. He has plenty of practice and is rather good at bedding as I’m sure you’re both aware, Sisters.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00408010

SUNWARMTH

THE VALLEY OF THE SPOUTERS

~o~O~o~

Sunwarmth and those who live there.

Silverbean (63) has agreement with Marjoram (67) and Scorza (65) later births daughter Mystery all three adopted as grandparents by the holders

Bloom (45) has children Weälth (g15), Lacy (g3) and has agreement with
Coppicer (50) who has children Ysteil (b16), Dlupé (g14)

Gooseberry (31) has children Vantala (g7) Breeze (g5) Sculptor (b4) and has agreement with
Cove (29) who has children Seela (g16), Rutlan (b14), Lastbloom (g7), Crisp (g6), Hopper (b5)

Gowwan (17) has children Earnest (b4), is 4 lunes pregnant with Curran boy and has agreement with
Hugh (27) who has children Miels (g17), Prawn (g15), Gail (g11), Prettith (g9), Corinne (g7)

Horehound (40) has children Flittermouse (g15), Conch, (g13) Earthnut (b12), Hal (b9) and is 8 lunes pregnant with Banana girl and has agreement with
Joaquim (38) who has children Bullnut (b17), Shoveler (b15), Hotroot (b15) Bat (b12), Clearweed (b10), Lara (g6)

Lorna (30) is 6 lunes pregnant with Peppercorn boy and has agreement with
Leofric (30) who has children Hammerhead (b10), Pinenut (b8)

Sabrina (21) has children Boarherb (b4), Scoter (boy new birtht) and has agreement with
Shag (44) who has children Clarice (g16), Lingon (g15), Bryn (b13)

Dlupé (14) has agreement with Rutlan (14)
Flittermouse (15) is 2 lunes pregnant with Saltash boy has agreement with Ysteil (16)
Gail (11) is heartfrienden to Bullnut (17)
Weälth (15) has agreement with Hotroot (15) & Shoveler (15) the men are twins
Clarice (16) & Lingon (15) have agreement with Bryn (13) all three are siblings

~o~O~o~

The team, nearside then offside

Leaders ****** Shine mare **************** Yoïn(5) mare
Fore centres * Foxy mare ****************** Mellische mare
Hind centres * Wildeye gelding ************* Longmane mare
Wheelers ***** Dalla (team leader) gelding ** Grœddi(6) gelding

~o~O~o~

22rd of Towin Day 408

Veronica and Mast had been married for almost a year, but the wonder of their marriage still remained with them, and Flint had maekt their lifes even more exciting. Both wished a family and hoped for a girl next. They were on their way to Sunwarmth, a holding established four years over, normally some two tenners’ whilth by waggon, slightly to the east of south, from the Keep. They’d left the Keep on the eightth of Towin and were travelling slowly with a team of eight and what would be a huge overload of household goods and tools for a team of six, but even the eight had to work hard to pull it, hence the pace. More than halfway there, and in no hurry, they were enjoying the day, the weather and the less austere terrain than was to be found berount the Keep. Mast was driving, and Veronica was nursing Flint when she noticed smoke in the distant hills which she thought must have been days away and ran across the entire horizon. “Is that a forest fire bethink you, Mast? Is there any possibility the wind will blow it this way?”

Veronica was clearly worried concerning Flint. Flint was a good babe, but he was fussing, he’d had enough, so putting him over her shoulder Veronica rubbed and patted his back. Once relieved of wind, his eyes were closing, so she put him back in the wonderful crib Peregrine had maekt for him. The crib’s rockers were attached by heavy springs to the two rails below them which could be locked into rebates Peregrine had chiselled into the waggon bed. The entire arrangement allowed the motion of the waggon to rock the crib, but prevented it from moving in the waggon. It was monogrammed on the head and foot with an intertwined V and an M as part of deeply carved waggon motifs, and to Veronica it was a truly wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Just looking at it maekt her feel emotional.

Mast waited for her to settle Flint before answering her question, “There is no danger to Flint. It’s steam not smoke. It’s from the valley of spouters(7) I telt you of.” Mast had not telt Veronica too much of the valley, so she wouldn’t worry for Flint. “The valley is the only way through the hills by waggon that the holders are aware of. The valley starts several thousand strides to the left of where we see the densest steam, and it runs through the hills at an angle going to our right. It’s a sheltert, broad, flat bottomt valley with hot springs, four days’ whilth from here. The trail runs slightly downhill to the far end through the valley and the valley has a couple of very sharp bends in it, first to our right, and then to our left. The spouters are between the bends where we shall be climbing and travelling back on ourselfs. We finally come out of the hills several thousand strides to the right of where we see the steam on to a vast open green plain of lush vegetation may hap a foot deep which rests on a thin sheet of water over an unbraeken granite slab.

“The valley is a strange place, the air and the water have an unpleasant smell, like bad eggs, and the water isn’t drinkable, even thirsty horses won’t drink it. There are plants that grow there I’ve never seen any where else. It’s a little early to see the fruits and berries in the colours they have when ripe, but some are amazing. Unfortunately I don’t know if they are poisonous or not. After an early start we travel along the valley bottom and will camp on the far side of the second bend with the spouters behind us in the late afternoon. The section of the trail after the second bent is shorter than the section leading to the first bend, and we’ll be out of the valley mid afternoon after a not too early start. The grass in the valley is so lush we shall have to restrict the horses’ grazing so we can push them quickly between the two spouters the trail passes between. The spouters put boiling water may hap fifty strides into the air, at usually regular intervals, and when it comes down it completely covers the trail, and the trees are a bit further away from the trail there. We shall have to wait till the wind is calm, which it usually is in the valley, and for the spouters to not only become regular but in time with each other, which may take half a day. We shall have to cover Flint in case there is a gust of wind, wear heavy clothes and push the horses to the limit, fortunately it only takes three or four minutes to pass through to a safe farth from the spouters. Once round the second bend, we camp and the horses can graze as they will.”

Mast had explained to Veronica other waggoners wouldn’t undertake the trip because the recently established holding, at such a whilth from the Keep, would be unbelike to be able to provide a return load and the cost of charging for the round trip would have rendered it prohibitive, especially so with a team of eight, foreby(8) there were no holdings for a tenner’s whilth in any direction from Sunwarmth to offset some of the costs. Mast was the only waggoner who had been there. He had done the trip thrice before, and to his amusement was regarded as not quite plumb for having done so. It was over a year since he had been there, and he was looking forward to meeting the holders again. He had never telt any, other than Veronica, part of the initial price had been that he had first refusal on all future trips, which included when there would be profitable return loads of fruit and vegetables that wouldn’t grow in the caltth berount the Keep without extreme measures being taken to protect them.

Veronica knew that for Mast going to Sunwarmth was no longer an investment. It was now a pleasure because after his second trip he’d become family to the holders and as such had a monopoly on their trade because it was to the entire family’s benefit. Mast had explained Bloom had been a Mistress waggoner who had buried her man and four of her five children whilst on the trail after they had dien from the fevers. She had spent three warm seasons waggoning with Weälth her surviving daughter exploring, only returning to the Keep to overwinter, mother and daughter crafting double hours to feed themselfs and their team. She had unexpectedly returned and had maekt agreement with Coppicer, a leather worker with older children whose older wife had dien from heart problems, on the Second Quarterday platform. That was Mast explained three years before the incursion. Nextday they and their three children, had driven her team with a heavily loaded waggon, with their six spare horses hitched too, south, and none other than Mast had seen Coppicer or their children again.

Next Quarterday, a discernibly pregnant Bloom, she subsequently birtht a girl babe, Lacy, had gone onto the platform telling of Sunwarmth, the holding they had established at a site she had previously discovered, and of their desire to share the holding with others, and ultimately found a clan settlement. She’d explained she was at the Keep to trade all her and Coppicer’s possessions and debts owed to them for tools, seeds, plants, fruit trees and bushes, some geese and sheep and to facilitate the matter their account was being managed by Sagon. Three elders with no family and five other couples, with twenty-nine children mongst them, had decided to go back with her. The elders, Silverbean, Marjoram and Scorza, were all hale, independent folk, who’d all lost agreäns relatively recently, had passed their year of mourning and had wished more than what being adopted as grandparents within the Keep offered. Scorza was sixty-five, and as he put it, “Yes, I’m old, but that doesn’t mean I’ve given up on any of the challenges that life can provide.”

Silverbean, an elegant looking, slim woman of sixty-three, had smiled and said, “I’m not bothert regards agreement, and making love is a memory, albeit a recent memory, but I do like the idea of Marjoram and Scorza as possibilities.” That had maekt all three of the elders smile, and an agreement of three had thus been maekt. Gooseberry and Cove between them had eight children, Gowwan and Hugh six, Horehound and Joaquim ten, Lorna and Leofric two and Sabrina and Shag had four. Mast telt Veronica of the elder triple, six couples and their children who had founded Sunwarmth. All had had personal problems of various kinds involving past agreäns, family, or grief. All had decided they did not wish to live at the Keep and did not wish to return during the caltth of the winter, and all had findt what they were looking for, for themselves and their new extended family, most with new agreäns, at Sunwarmth.

The climate at Sunwarmth had been of significance, but it was the isolation that had been the major factor to the ten hurt parents. The elders, considered a warmer place would ease their aches and a new home that didn’t constantly remind them of their lost agreän would assist them in establishing their new marital relationship. The thirteen adults traded what possessions they did not wish to take with them for more useful chattels via the Sunwarmth account with Sagon, and mongst them they decided that rather than purchase another waggon they would subsequently have no use for, they would trade for more stock and two extra pairs of heavy horses. Their pooled resources were uest to trade for three expensive mares and an even more expensive stallion, all of the highest quality. Stallions were not usually uest in a team as they could be intractable, but they wished one for breeding as they had decided to rear heavy horses for trading, and were reluctant to purchase an extra horse or only use a team of nine when they had a tenth horse.

Shag who was a farrier had said, “As stallions go Force is gentle enough. We’ll manage with him in harness.” Now they had ten horses Bloom traded her waggon for an even larger six wheeled one with Vinnek which put the already indebted holding account yet further into debt. The ten horses would be adequate to pull Bloom’s new waggon, even though extremely heavily laden, at a reasonable pace. The waggon would be laden with household goods and tools, including a plough, elders and children. The adults were going to walk and herd the animals, most of which were pregnant, which would determine the pace. The trip to Sunwarmth would take time, but time was the only thing they had more than enough of, besides debts.

The next time they wished goods, Hugh and Leofric had walked with two pack horses to the nearest holding, eight days’ whilth over hills with no route for a waggon, and left a list for the next waggoner to deliver to the Keep. With the list of what they wished was a rather intimidating set of directions and instructions explaining how to reach Sunwarmth and a list of what they had with which to pay for the goods and the service. None of the other waggoners available had been interested. Intrigued, Mast had shrugged his shoulders and gone. Thereafter the notes were addresst to him.

At the moment the holding was paying for what they needed with cloth they spun and wove from their flax crop and knitt garments their sheep provided the wool for, but they had considerable debts which were still mounting. Veronica asked, “How much shall we be charging them for this trip, Mast?”

Mast smiled, and replied, “They will give us the feed the horses have uest to travel there and more than enough to return. The rest will be payt sometime in the future. But if any of my family ever need a home with care to her, for what ever reason, she has it.” Veronica just nodded as she had come to appreciate the way the Folk considered debts of obligation. Mast wasn’t bothered he was crafting virtually for free for folk he obviously liekt and thought a lot of, so neither was she.

25th of Towin Day 411

The climate had improven as they’d travelled south, and eventually they reached the entrance to the valley of spouters in the late afternoon. They camped next to a small stand of trees to the right of the valley mouth where the grazing was relatively poor, but the best available outside the valley. They fed the horses some oats and for the first time Veronica watched Mast halter the horses and tie them to the trees. By way of explanation he said, “If I just hobble them they will be halfway down the valley by the time we awaken and be so full of lush grass they won’t be able to work, and we need them to be able to work hard nextday late afternoon for a few minutes.” Veronica agreed with Mast the smell of the valley was obnoxious, and they weren’t even in it yet. After preparing a dried bean and coney stew which she bringen to the boil and insulated with some of the team’s hay in her hotbox for nextday’s lunch she was tired, and after eating, nursing Flint, changing him for the night and putting him to bed, she was asleep within minutes, despite the smell.

26th of Towin Day 412

When she awoke, Flint was still asleep, but Mast was not beside her. Veronica was irritated that there was no water to wash with. They’d passed no pools or running water for a couple of days, so the barrels were not full and they couldn’t spare water from the barrels for washing, despite the extra one they carried for Flint. She dresst and pulled her boots on to see what Mast was doing. As she left the tent she saw there were only six horses, and Mast was nowhere to be seen. She lit a fire and started to prepare braekfast. She had just started eating when Mast appeared from the valley riding Shine, the nearside leader, and leading Yoïn, the offside leader. “I must have fastent Yoïn to a rotten branch. She couldn’t have been goen long because she was only may hap fiveteen hundred strides farth, but she’s full of lush grass and will regret it.” He tied Yoïn to a branch and joined Veronica for braekfast. They braekt camp, repacked the waggon and hitched the team. The last thing back on was Flint still in his crib and still asleep.

They followed the trail which meandered from side to side of the valley bottom. The trees pushed right up to the edge of, and leant over, the winding, irregular, thirty- to forty-stride-wide, black, hard-packed, porous, rocky surface that the trail followed, rarely in the middle. “Why don’t the trees cover the trail, Mast? Is it deliberately keept like this?”

“No, it’s naturally like this. I opine it’s too hot for the trees’ roots at the valley bottom. The rocks are full of air and very light. Joaquim telt me that on this part of the trail sometimes half a span of scalding water wells up and runs down the trail before it finally disappears into the ground at the far end before the first bend of the valley. He says it comes up through the air holes in the rock.”

Veronica looked nervously at the trail and the horses’ hoofs. “What would we do if that happent now?”

“Just pull off to the side, the water runs down the trail following the lowest part of the bare rock which you can see is two or three spans lower than to the sides.” The noise in the valley was overwhelming. The birds and what Mast telt Veronica were monkeys of some kind never ceased their calling, howling and screeching. “You can always hear the monkeys but unlike the birds you rarely see them,” he explained. “It’s never silent, even in the middle of the night, though the birds are quiet and the monkeys not as noisy, it’s aught but quiet.” Veronica had been seeing and hearing the birds by the thousand since they had entered the valley, most were she thought to be varieties of parrot, but some appeared to be exotic birds of paradise and a few, she assumed from their ability to hover, were humming birds. It was mid-forenoon when they saw the sow with a litter of twenty or so striped grislings emerge from the trees on their left and cross the trail. They were taking their time but when the sow saw the horses she grunted and ran into the tress, followed by her now squealing young.

Veronica had been looking hard for the monkeys and when she finally spotted one, it was carrying a juvenile on its back. “They’re not monkeys, Mast,” she exclaimed. “They’re lemurs, and they died out on Earth when I was a girl. That one is a ring tailed lemur. Are they all the same?”

“No. I’ve seen a few as small as mice and one at least twice the size of a big man. There must be dozens if not a couple of hundred kinds, but if two are the same size it’s usually hard to tell if they are the same kind for you don’t oft see them for long.”

By lunchtime the atmosphere was hot, moist and foetid. For hours, they had been passing bubbling, and belching, steaming pools of hot viscous mud that endlessly vented noisome vapours and spat gouts of the sulphurous ooze, oft several feet into the air. Veronica had never accepted that glop and its derivatives were proper words, but she conceded even if made up they were entirely appropriate applied to the gouts of ooze as they glopped back into the stinking pools once gravity reasserted itself over the underground geothermal cauldrons. There were thousands of them, varying in size from a foot to ten or more strides across, scattered randomly mongst the trees which in most cases leant over the pools completely roofing them over dripping steaming condensation back whence it came. Farther away from the trail there was the odd spouter, but none put water and steam more than four strides into the air. Veronica appreciated what Mast meant when he said there were trees and plants he had never seen before, and she’d had glimpses of dozens of lemurs but seen none as clearly nor for as long as her first one.

Many of the trees not only had huge crops of unripe fruit on them, some of the individual fruits were enormous, three or four feet long and up to a foot and a half in diameter, some looked intriguingly prickly. The trees were covered with vines with huge crops of what Veronica assumed were unripe fruit or berries as most were green. Veronica laught aloud as she telt Mast to pull up near a group of small trees with a lot of curving green fruit and some pink tinged yellow ones hanging off them in huge groups. The pinkish yellow ones were the lowest on the trees and within easy reach. She picked one and tore the skin off by one end, inside it was creamy white. She was going to take a bite when Mast knocked it out of her hand. Surprised, she asked, “Why did you do that, Mast?”

“It could be poisonous.”

Realising Mast was seriousVeronica stiffled her laghter. “It’s a banana, Mast! I’ve probably eaten thousands of them. Look,” she picked another, “peeled bananas split into three if you push with a finger on the end.” She did and the fruit split into three, and she smelt it, and tasted it. “It smells and tastes of banana, it’s unmistakable, here smell it. I’ll just have the one bite for now, but help me cut a hand of the ripe ones, please.” It was an unhappy Mast who cut the cluster of the fruit she indicated. It must have been four feet long and over four spans in diameter. There were hundreds of the fruit on it. He placed it in the waggon, but he was still unhappy at what Veronica had done when they resumed their journey.

“Please don’t do that again, Love. There’re all sorts of fruits and berries in the valley none has ever seen and, I don’t know what they are. I don’t wish you to take any risks, please.”

Realising he was seriously frightened, Veronica said, “All right, Mast. But I suspect some of those fruit could be identifyt by other newfolk. You’ve always said you don’t know where we come from or why, and I remember you telling me of vegetables and seeds as well as animals arriving as part of the incursion, and I can’t help but wonder if some that needet the heat arrivt here. Lemurs and the birds I’ve seen live in a very hot climate whence I come.”

Settled a little by her attitude he said, “We shall be staying at Sunwarmth for a few days and could take samples on our return for Ruby to draw and to see if they can be identifyt.” They saw no more gris, but they were aware of them on both sides of the trail from their incessant grunting, squealing and the dozen or so other noises they maekt which were audible despite the lemurs and the birds. Mast grinned and said, “Now you know why a group of them is callt a sounder. Some say they are making sure none become separatet from the rest in forests where it’s difficult for them to see each other.”

An hour after lunch they had rounded the first bend in the valley, and by four Mast had pulled up several hundred strides short of the two large spouters which were may hap two hundred strides apart, beyond which they could just see in the farth the second bend. Just before one spouted the ground shook and a rumbling noise seemed to come up through the ground all berount. Mast uest a couple of shovels to support a fur coat over Flint’s crib, extracted their heavy fur coats and hats, and settled down for the spouters to synchronise. There was little wind and the spouters were regular but out of phase with each other. “The nearer one on the left takes a minute or two more to repeat than the farther one on the right. When they spout together we move.”

Sweating, they had waited for nearly two hours in the hot, moisture saturated, sulphurous atmosphere near the spouters when Mast said, “It’s time to don the furs. Take a firm grip on the seat, make sure Flint’s cover doesn’t move and don’t look up. Boiling water on your furs won’t hurt you, on your face it will.” Sweltering in the heavy furs they waited for twenty minutes. The shaking and rumbling of the ground was much more intense just before the two spouters went up within seconds of each other and Mast had the heavy horses moving as fast as they could. Yoïn was reluctant, and it was the first time Veronica had ever seen Mast use the whip on a horse. Usually it was uest over their heads as part of the communication between him and the team. One touch of the whip and all eight were pulling as hard as they could and Mast was muttering, “I telt you you’d regret that grass, Yoïn.”

As he’d telt Veronica, it was not long before they were through the dogleggèd gap between the spouters and far enough away not to be bothered by them. Next time the spouters went up they were over a minute out of phase. It was a relief to take off the heavy coats and hats in the hot and clammy atmosphere. Mast returned the shovels to their usual places and left their furs opened out on top of the load saying, “I’ll pack the furs away when they’ve dryt off. I usually camp round the bend, there’s a fireplace there, and walking them will allow the horses to cool without risk of a chill.” It was over an hour before they rounded the bend. He unhitched the horses and unusually didn’t hobble them saying, “They won’t go far, the grazing is good here, and the grass is the only source of water other than the barrels till late forenoon nextday. If you wish a good laugh ask one of the holders to tell you of taking their livestock through the spouters, especially the geese.”

They pitched the tent, and whilst Mast organised their bedrolls Veronica lit a fire in the ring of stones she considered Mast to have been over generous in referring to as a fireplace, and set the remains of the bean and coney casserole to warm. They ate, and then drank their leaf whilst Veronica nursed Flint. They had not had a particularly hard day, but the stress of the dash between the spouters had exhausted them. Even though they knew there had been little risk, all risks seemed magnified as a result of Flint’s presence.

Veronica put a sleepy Flint to bed, and hand in hand they walked back to watch the spouters for half an hour or so. As they did, they looked at the luxurious growth of trees and the rampant flower and fruit bearing climbers that covered them. At the edge of the trail the vines and lianas covered the trees from the forest floor to the tops of the emergents, though they were particularly dense in the canopy. Where a colossal fungus covered tree had fallen near the trail they could see the tree trunks of the understory and the forest floor which had huge numbers of epiphytic vines growing from branch forks and crevices in their bark. Some of the lianas growing in the soil were may hap a foot in diameter, but in the gloom of the forest away from the trail the epiphytes and lianas produced few flowers or fruit till they reached the canopy where there was more light. “Bethink you you recognise any more of them, Love?”

“I don’t believe so, but most I suspect are not ripe yet, and I’m no expert, but I’m sure there will be newfolk who know what some of them are. Bananas are different, they are so recognisable I’m sure everyone whence I came would know what they are. I believe a lot of the flowers are callt orchids, but I know there are hundreds if not thousands of varieties of orchid and I don’t know the names of any of them, but they are pretty.” Mast was relieved that Veronica seemed to have no intention of eating aught else, but he said naught. Hand in hand they walked back to the tent, and Veronica playfully said, “I really would like a little girl next, or are you too tired, Love?”

“I can’t guarantee a little girl, Love, but we can try.”

27th of Towin Day 413

Nextday, they taekt their time eating and braeking camp. As a result of their grazing on the lush grass, the big-bellied horses were slothful and reluctant to work. Mast wasn’t bothered and said, “They deserve an easy time. I’ll give them some coarse feed with bran and a bit of hay later to help their stomachs.”

It was gone lunchtime when they left the valley. It was midafternoon when they crossed the first small stream of fresh water. They allowed the horses to drink their fill of the tepid water and refilled the barrels. Feeling refreshed after their first wash in half a tenner they ate the stew Veronica had prepared lasteve from dried glider for lunch. The stream was barely a span deep and a foot wide, and it ran over a bed of unbraeken granite. As they allowed the horses to drink, the fresh breeze that blew from the south-west maekt Veronica realise she had become so accustomed to the smell of the valley she had only become aware of it when it disappeared. The land as far as the eye could see was one vast plain of waist high grass and herbage, with the odd shrub and even more rarely a standard tree. Most of the trees were leaning over, all pointing north-east. “Why aren’t there more trees, Mast? When the grass grows so lush.”

“The topsoil is only a span and a half deep and completely bindt(9) together by the roots into a really tough sod. Below that its just one huge granite slab covert in fresh running water. If you move the sod to one side a pool forms in seconds, and you can see it flowing. Despite there being enough water for trees, they can’t anchor their roots. That’s why what trees there are here are all leaning in the direction the prevailing wind blows. Most die before they’re mature enough to set seed. I imagine the ones here grew from seed bringen by birds.” It was not as hot as in the valley, and the uncomfortable humidity had gone, but it was much warmer than on the other side of the hills the valley was a passage through. Mast telt her, “Four more nights under canvas, and at this pace we reach Sunwarmth at this time of day on Second Quarterday. The plain is a very gradual slope uphill, rising to the south west, which eventually drops more quickly as a gentle south facing slope with a range of small hills beyond. We cross dozens of small streams on the way. You can’t see the hills from here, and Sunwarmth is on the suntrap of the south facing slope. The higher mountains you can see are much greater whilth away than the hills and we travel somewhat to the left of the highest peak we can see.”

They were both puzzled by the groups of blackened and burnt shrubs they passed, there were usually several close together in a group, but the groups were far apart, and Veronica said, “The burnt trees have a funny smell, Mast, that catches at the back of your throat and nose. I wonder why.” Mast agreed, but was as puzzled as she. That eve they camped early and whilst Veronica maekt leaf Mast cut three sides of a rectangle out of the sod. Puzzled, Veronica asked what he was doing. “Making us a bath,” Mast replied. After peeling the sod back in the direction of the uncut side Veronica could see the water beginning to pool on the remnants of the sod making a muddy brown uninviting looking layer over the granite. Mast noticed her wrinkling her nose in distaste and said, “Wait a minute and it will run clear.” By the time they’d finished their leaf the water was running crystal clear, a span deep and a little cooler than tepid. “You want to eat or bathe first, Love?” Mast asked.

“Bathe, and I’ll bathe Flint too. It’s not too cold, so I won’t have to heat the water for him. He’ll enjoy it. If we bathe first, I’ll cook whilst you bathe, but first I’ll ratch(10) out some clean clothes for all of us. I’ll leave what we’re wearing to soak over night and wash them first thing next day whilst you prepare braekfast.”

28th - 30th of Towin Day 414 - 416

The next two days were uneventful, but on the third, they had been travelling for three hours with Veronica driving when Mast said, “Stop the team, Love. Dalla is limping on his nearside hind.” Dalla, the nearside wheeler, was Mast’s team leader. He was a big, powerful, intelligent and gentle gelding, in complete contrast to Grœddi, the offside wheeler, who though equally big and powerful, both were over twenty-four spans to the withers and in excess of seventeen hundred and fifty weights,[3500 pounds 1750Kg] was of limited intelligence, could be belligerent and cantankerous, and who always needed forceful handling. As a result Veronica over compensated to treat him fairly. Mast lifted Dalla’s hoof to look, and telt Veronica, “The shoe is slightly loose. I’ll remove it, clean and wash his hoof before deciding what to do. A quarter of an hour later, Mast said, “I bethink me not the shoe is the problem. The frog(11) looks a little swollen, but I’m not sure. I’ll let him work, but we’ll drop the pace. If he becomes any worse I’ll take him out of the team and he can follow, but he won’t like it.”

This was the first time Veronica had experienced any problems with the team, and she had not considered the waggon could be pulled by seven horses. With the waggon overloaded it was hard work for the team of eight, and they required longer and more frequent rests and better feed than usual. Mast was using an extra pair of centres, behind his own which they now thought of as part of the team too. Though time was a riandet, and their six were uest to working together, he’d preferred the security of the extra horses on the trail he knew none else would be using for years,and they had enabled him to take a heavier load.

~o~O~o~

Veronica recalled what Mast had telt her of Shag, who was a forty-four year old farrier and had lost his wife to a wasting disease. He’d three children, and when he had heard of Sunwarmth he had proposed agreement to his heavily pregnant, nineteen year old apprentice, Sabrina, and suggested they go. Sabrina’s intendet had changed his mind regards agreement before either realised she was pregnant, and upset every time she saw him she had been happy to leave married to someone she knew had a care to her. Veronica also thought of what Mast had telt her of the other couples.

Gowwan had been thirteen and just birtht Earnest. His sixteen year old father, Gowwan’s heartfriend Skale, had disputed paternity, and the matter had been under consideration by Campion and Aaron on behalf of the Council. That Skale was Earnest’s father neither they, nor indeed any other including his parents, doubted, but Gowwan, who was deeply distressed by his accusation that she had slept with some other and tried to pass his child off as Skale’s, would not be helped by forcing him to meet his obligations. None was aware how it came to be, but a lune later Gowwan and her son left for Sunwarmth with her twenty-three year old husband Hugh and his five children, the eldest of who was a lune older than herself. Hugh was her cousin and had lost his older wife to the fevers. Skale had never seen his son again, and Campion had telt him, “Since you have disputet paternity of and responsibility for Earnest, and Gowwan has resolvt the matter to her own satisfaction, you have no more rights over Earnest than any man other than his father: Hugh. For the Council the matter is now cloest.”

Skale’s shunning by the Folk and his subsequent complete loss of status, which he was beginning to realise would last decades if not his lifetime and meant he would be unlikely to ever find an agreän, gave many to consider why the Way had to be complied with. It was not that the Way governed the Folk rather that the Way was the codified will of the Folk. It had been a further shock to Skale when it had been maekt clear to him that none of the Mistresses of leisure willen to craft with him. It had been during a viciously cold spell in Vilar, always the coldest time of the year, two years later that he’d disappeared. Since his shunning he’d become reclusive, and investigation revealed it had been half a tenner since any recalled having seen him. Unable to face a future of irredeemable shentth(12) he’d given himself to Castle, and no remains had ever been found. The tale of Gowwan and Skale had been rendered into a teaching song for the young to learn of the Way by Xera.

Lorna was a midwife who had never had children and her six sisters had forty mongst them, which upset her. Her man had left her for one of her sisters who had eight children and whose husband had dien in a quarry accident. Leofric, had two children, had lost his wife to the fevers a few years before and had been thinking of leaving the Keep for a holding for some time. When he heard of Sunwarmth he proposed agreement, and Lorna accepted. As far as Mast was aware she still had had no children.

Cove had been married twice before and had still been only twenty five. He lost his first, much older, wife who had two older children, to a seizure from which she dien two days later never having regained consciousth. His second wife, who had three younger children, had dien from a snake bite. Gooseberry, despite their mere two year age difference, was Cove’s mother’s youngest sister. She had three young children and had lost her man to a hunting accident nearly two years before. Cove had been so affected by the deadth of his second wife he had gone into a shocked state apparently unaware of his surroundings. Gooseberry freely admitted afterwards, “I needet a man. Cove is a good man, and was in need of something to bring him back to face life. His children needet their dad. I know a lot of folk opient it wrong I replacet his wife in their bed when she had dien not two days before, but we both needet each other and eight children needet both of us. I was unhappy regards the comments maekt by some regards the circumstances of our agreement when it was so obviously the right thing to do, so when I hearet of Sunwarmth I bethinkt me Mercy to the lot of them and we left.”

Horehound had three children and had lost a husband to a mining accident. He’d had a drinking problem which none other than herself was aware of and she thought that probably explained the accident and his deadth, and she was grateful her previous silence had not given her any else’s deadth on her conscience. She had been thinking of braeking their agreement for some time, but hadn’t for the sake of their children who loved their dad. When she’d been telt of his deadth she was seen to be upset, but, as she subsequently explained, that was for the children and not herself. She realised she’d not loved him for years and not being able to live with the lie she explained the situation to her family and children. The story soon became common knowledge as was her immediate desire for a husband. She’d said, “I’m not going to mourn a man I am relievt not to be marryt to.” Joaquim had lost his wife during her pregnancy to an unknown condition, and though seriously hurt by her loss he wished a wife and a mother for his six children. He didn’t believe that leaving things a year would help him or his children. He knew his view was regarded as heartless, but naytheless he’d agreement with Horehound within a lune of his wife’s deadth. It was nearly a year later when they heard of Sunwarmth, and they both decided a new life elsewhere away from the disapproval was a good idea for themselfs and their family.

Veronica wondered how so much grief in one place would be to live with, but she remembered it had only been a few days after her marriage to Mast when she stopped thinking of the life she had left behind.

~o~O~o~

Dalla’s limp was noticeably worse by the time they pulled up to make camp and Mast bathed his hoof with a redweed preparation. He was extra vigilant when he checked the feet of all the horses that eve and the following forenoon.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00417010

DALLA WOULDN’T COÖPERATE

I’M GLAD WE’LL BE THERE THISDAY

1st of Chent Day 417

The following forenoon Mast had had the intention of allowing Dalla to follow them, but the big horse wouldn’t coöperate. He stood in his place in front of the waggon behind Wildeye and could not be moved. Veronica couldn’t even tempt him to move with pennyroyals of which she had a small barrel to use as rewards for the team. “It looks like we’ll have to let him have his own way, Mast. If we go even more slowly, is it belike to do any more damage than allowing him to follow?”

“I can’t know for certain, but probably not. It’s barely rising for the rest of the way bar the last half hour which is downhill, and the ground is soft all the way, but I’m glad we’ll be there thisday. If needs must we can offload some or all of the load and return for it later, or even leave the waggon and ride.” They travelled very slowly, and Mast tried again after lunch to allow Dalla to follow, but as before he wouldn’t coöperate.

In an attempt to ease Mast’s mind from Dalla’s condition, which they both knew there was nothing they could do regards it, Veronica asked him to explain more regarding Sunwarmth for it seemed to her they had an unusual clan arrangement even by the standards of the Folk who, though she approven, would she considered be regarded as bizarre by Earth folk. “Because they live at such whilth from the Keep they have to be able to manage all themselves or do without. So all have to cross craft at nearly all crafts, and they have reart the children to be adult at ten not fourteen. All the children are mature for their age and consider themselfs to have a number of primary crafts in addition to being a holder. Even the little ones have their allotted tasks which they take seriously, so you may offer to help, but don’t be offendet if your help is refuest.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly
117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Herron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte
118 Iola, Adela, Knapps, Dabchick, Bruana, Beatrix, Bwlch, Burnet, Winefruit, Twailles, Saught, Spoonbill, Coaltit, Fulbert, Eudes, Coriander, Milligan, Hobby, Morgelle, Caoilté, Fritillary, Tuyere, Ælfgivu, Morwen, Bistort, Furnace, Turner, Froe, Otday, Otter, Luval, Molly, Ivy, Eorl, Geoffrey, Betony, Gosellyn, Smile, Phœbe, Cwm, Angharad, Vervain, Irena, Lilly, Falcon, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Charlotte, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Yew, Rowan, Spearmint, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Loosestrife, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Oliver, Claire, Gdana, Grebe, Ironwood Agrimony, Joseph, Gordon, Diana, Gander, Gibb, Lunelight, Pleasance, Bay, George, Jason, Briar, Barnet, Oak, Acorn, Knott, Ingot, Gage, Beth, Jed, Guy, Qvuine, Swegn, Mortice, Mike, Spruce, Linden, Will, Gale, Morris, Rock, Revæl, Rampion, Matilda, Silverherb, Wheatear, Brock, Bruin, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Edwin, Aspen, Musk, Joseph, Cynthia, Sannie, Lobelia, Merle, Laura, Warbler, Mint, Allia, Kevin, Laiqqa, Davvi, Madder, Robert, Crossbill, Barleycorn, Compass, Sextant, Sólarsteinn, Fulke, Bryony, Cobalt, Tress, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Jade, Phthalen, Tallia, Yumalle, Larov

119 Joseph, Briar, Sago, Swegn, Tress, Bryony, Gordon, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Cobalt, Sppleblossom, Lotus, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Bloom, Weälth, Coppicer, Lacy, Silverbean, Marjoram, Scorza, Gooseberry, Cove, Gowwan, Hugh, Earnest, Campion, Aaron, Skale, Xera, Horehound, Joaquim, Lorna, Leofric, Sabrina, Shag, Vinnek, Ruby

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Collective, equivalent to the treasury or exchequer, the fund for public enterprises. The Collective also functions as a banking service.
2 Quantitative easing, in the context of the relatively simple Castle economy this is just a matter of printing extra token notes to put more currency into circulation whilst a sizeable proportion of the currency is ‘tied up’ in the new mill project.
3 Effectively preventing devaluation of the Castle token, i.e. currency.
4 Siskon(en), sibling(s).
5 Yoïn, pronounced Yo + in, joʊin.
6 Grœddi, pronounced gree + thee, gri:ði:.
7 Spouter, geyser.
8 Foreby, in addition, uest in Folk in a sense that implies justification.
9 Bindt, bound.
10 To ratch, to rummage or search for something. A ratch, a look, a search.
11 The frog of a horse’s hoof is a triangular shaped structure in the centre of the hoof, the point faces forward. It acts as a shock absorber and when the horse’s weight is put on it it compresses and aids to pump blood back up the leg. It covers about a quarter of the hoof and is surrounded by the sole, which in turn is surrounded by the walls, the equivalent of human finger nails to which the shoe is nailed.
12 Shentth, shame.

up
12 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ironic?

You begin the chapter by discussing bigots that the Council plans to restrict to the Keep and prevent from learning survival skills which they could use to start a remote settlement. Then you follow with a description of Sunwarmth, exactly such a settlement created by and for people who had offended the sensibilities of the Keep enough to find themselves more comfortable elsewhere.

Isn't there an inconsistency there? If the Way allows the second group to take its chances on Castle's hospitality, so to speak, isn't it contrary to the Way not to give the bigots the same opportunity?

Eric

Inconsistency

I take the point Eric, I just don't agree that it is inconsistent. The difference lies in the dangers presented to the Folk by the two groups. The Council did not in fact think of restricting the bigots to the Keep, Swegn desires that and I did write that only a few of the changt are aware of that. Those whose sensibilities were offended by the actions of only a few of the residents of Sunwarmth would be the bigots too, not the Council. Too the Council are aware of the value of the changt to them and the Folk as a whole. The bigots are the ones pushing the issue not the changt. Campion analysed the matter at a Council meeting lunes ago (Council meeting 1st of Topal Ch 106) and concluded that the changt needed to be made aware that if it came to having to make a choice the Council would support the changt.

Too, the Way is the codified will of the Folk, it is neither fair nor reasonable to persons whose behaviour puts them outside its protection. They are 'outlaws' in the mediaeval sense of the word, outside the protection of the law, i.e. they have no rights. It exists to safeguard the Folk, from others and themselfs if necessary. It is not there to safeguard any one else.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen