Castle The Series - 0103 Steve, Jude, Nathan, Ryland

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a newfolk character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00131010

A WARM BED TO GO HOME TO

SURF BRAEKER RETURNS STARGAZER (26) AND STEVE (nc 28)

10th of Larov Day 131

Steve had found going to sea nauseating, literally. His shipmates had sympathised and assured him he would become uest to being at sea eventually. Kindly, they hadn’t telt him his unpredictable dives for the topwale(1) due to his seasickth(2) were happening in weather they regarded as the most gentle of breezes, barely enough to give them steerageway.(3) Steve had thought being dead would be preferable to being turned inside out at irregular but frequent intervals. Eventually, he did become uest to the situation, though, even after a tenner at sea, he still maekt the odd dive for the topwale. By the time he had been at sea a lune, he had survived a couple of stiff blows with no ill effects. Regular work and nutritious, if monotonous, food had improven him physically. He was no longer flabby and carrying fifteen weights [15Kg, 33 pounds] of surplus fat, and he no longer had headaches and the shakes from drinking. The stresses of his previous work in a merchant bank had gone, and he slept tight which improven his haelth too.

Though he enjoyed being at sea, and was grateful for having his haelth, both physical and mental, restored, he knew he didn’t wish to be a sailor as a craft, but he couldn’t think of anything he would like to do. He had never had any hobbies or craft skills, he had lothed woodwork at school, and he wasn’t particularly interested in growing things or in animals. He was intelligent and knew he would find something eventually, but knew till he did he would be uneasy with a blank future. After two lunes, at one of their stopping places, he had designed and maekt an improven hoist mechanism for loading materials off the dock into the hold which the crew and ship Master Limpet had regarded as a significant craft achievement, but he knew he wasn’t interested enough in mechanisms to spend his life with them.

One night watch he was in the charthouse with Vlæna, a forty-four year old navigator. It had been blowing gently, and the ship was making its way to its next call to collect timber for adit struts. Naught was expected to happen for three or four days. They were spaeking of navigation, and Steve asked, “How did you learn where all the stars are?”

Vlæna shrugged her shoulders and replied, “The same way all others doet I suppose. I learnt all the bright ones first, which are of most use, and the rest I fillt in over the years standing night watches.”

“Did it not help to study the star charts?”

Vlæna laught, and had replied, “There are no star charts. How do you chart stars? They’re just there to see.”

The conversation had started something in Steve’s head which he couldn’t leave alone, it was like a loose tooth, and he had to touch it at frequent intervals. He didn’t know what he was probing the edges of, but four nights later when on the same watch, but with Limpet, Limpet had remarked, “We should be approaching the jetty an hour before dawn. We’ll stand off shore till there’s enough light to make a safe approach berount the rocks. See that star there just above the horizon?” He pointed to a cluster of three and said, “the faint one just below and to larboard of the group of three.”

“Yes, I see it, but it disappears from time to time.”

“That’ll be due to the sea mist, but when that star disappears over the horizon, it’ll be time to heave to and stand off the coast.”

It came to Steve all at once, and he said to Limpet, “Vlæna told me she learnt the stars the same way everyone else did, and it taekt a long time. I’d like to make star charts to help folk to learn them. Do we have spare blank chart paper I could use?”

Limpet looked at him as though he had just taken a swinging boom(4) to the side of the head, and wasn’t quite rational as a result, and said slowly, “You wish to draw the stars?”

“Yes. Vlæna told me there were no such things as star charts. But all you experienced navigators know where they all are and what they’re called, and using that knowledge can work out where the ship is, and which way it should be going, and I’m told their movement gives you an idea of the time. She also told me it takes years to learn all that. I want to make something that would cut down the time it takes to learn the stars. It would do that because you can study charts when it’s cloudy and you can’t see the sky.”

Limpet had said with a smile, “I bethink me you must be tiren of living to wish to spend your time drawing stars, but I can see the benefits of keeping you occupyt. The bottom drawer in the chart chest contains blank chart papers for when we chart unexplort areas. Feel free to use them, and the drawing instruments are here.” He said the last unlatching the top drawer of a small chest that was fastened to a ship’s timber with leather straps. “Just make sure Vlæna knows what you have uest, so she can replace it at the next opportunity.”

Steve was eager to start, but he didn’t wish to start with Limpet present, so the conversation continued, mostly of docking and the loads to be delivered and taken up. Steve went off watch to eat and sleep, but he was awakened several hours later by the banging in the hold which reverberated through the entire ship’s structure. Unable to continue sleeping he went to the galley to eat and then on deck to see what was happening. By the time he was on deck there was very little left to unload and half an hour later loading started. When his watch began, he joined the crew in the hold to help position and secure the timbers his improven hoist mechanism was lowering down to them. Limpet insisted naught should ever be free to move in the hold as a matter of ship’s safety in bad weather. It taekt the rest of the day to load the timbers and secure the hold hatches. Tired he slept tight that night all the way through a short lived but unpleasant squall without being aware of it.

The following night watch he was on duty with Vlæna, and started to chart the stars he could see. He positioned the stars by triangulation using a pair of dividers mounted on a stick to keep them a fixt distance from his eyes. Placing one end of the stick on the bridge of his nose he adjusted the dividers such that their points appeared to be in line with his first two stars and uest the distance between the points to be the distance between the stars on his chart. He then did it for a third star measuring its distance from both the initial two to place that on his chart. He had to experiment with the longth of the stick to start with to achieve a reasonable scale. He started from Axis, the Castle equivalent of Polaris,(5) numbered each star on his chart and wrote the numbers in a book so he could write their names alongside the numbers when he found out what they were called from the navigators. At first Vlænaʼs reaction was similar to Limpet’s, but as time progressed she started to take an interest in his work, and pointing to his chart telt him, “That star there, Therus,(6) is out of place. It should be a touch to starboard.”

He checked looking at the sky, and noting she was correct asked her, “How do you do that?”

Vlæna laught wryly and admitted, “Years of practice cursing stars I know are out there somewhere, but can’t see exactly where due to the weather. See that group of five there,” she pointed to a group of stars right on the edge of his chart, “there should be eight of them, but the other three are very faint, and there’s one of them, Marleän,(7) I suspect I’ve only seen once, twice at most. The sky looks clear now, but it’s not clear enough, and I’m telt you have to be farther north than this on the clearest of nights to see it.” Steve continued working on his charts, and only stopped when the sky turned overcast a couple of hours later. “How long bethink you it’s going to take you?” asked Vlæna.

Steve shrugged his shoulders, and replied, “Maybe another two seasons after this one. I’ll continue for as long as I can. I suppose I’ll have to travel widely to finish it, but I consider once it’s started maybe others will add to it too.”

Steve continued with the charts at every opportunity, and after making a bigger but equally simple piece of equipment capable of sighting across the gap between stars much farther apart in the night sky and then redrawing his more detailed earlier charts to match the scale he was finally satisfied his ideas would eventually produce a reasonably accurate result. When Limpet realised it was a good learning aid for the apprentices Softtouch, Nailer and Zander and they were learning star positions and names a lot faster than he had ever seen any learn them before he asked Steve if he’d like to be on permanent night watch so as to proceed faster with his charts. Steve agreed, and Vlæna, Limpet and the other senior watch crew helped him from time to time. Vlæna he realised, already had the entire chart, and more, in her head. She had sailed widely and was familiar with skies none else of the crew had ever seen.

They had spaken of many things on watch when the weather prevented his chart work, and she had asked him one night, “What are you going to do regards a personal placement when we dock, Steve?”

Steve had replied after a long pause, “I don’t know. I’ve never had a long term relationship because of the way I lived, and I consider it may be the same here.”

Vlæna was shocked by his last remark and asked, “How do you come to that conclusion? I am away for four lunes once a year, and usually do a couple of two lune voyages too. I’ve been happily marryt for over twenty years. Of course when the children were small I only doet short voyages, but we maekt it work. Most of us are similar, few ship with their agreän.”

Vlænaʼs remarks maekt Steve feel better, but he said, “The charts have become important to me. I know I’m not particularly interested in being a ship crafter, but that’s the only way I’ll be able to continue with them, and I want to. I want to see the skies you’ve seen, and that means long voyages. I doubt any woman would live with that, and I shouldn’t blame her.”

“Ideally, what would you like?” Vlæna asked him.

“A wife and family. The settled life I’ve never had, nothing special.”

Vlæna thought awhile and said, “Ask the Master at arms staff. You’d be surpriest. There will be many women with children who loes their husbands to the fevers struggling to manage who would glad to reach agreement with you. That they are marryt, even to a man away a lot, will instantly make their lifes and those of their children easier, better. Love does grow and,” Vlæna smiled, “it is good to have a warm bed to go home to.”

A tenner or so away from the Keep Limpet had telt Steve, “We’ll be back at the Keep for a couple of tenners at least. Long enough for you to have your affairs in order any hap. I know I considert your charts were a waste of time to start with, but I was wrong. If you’d like a berth with your prime duty being to your charts I’d be glad to have you. The crew would be glad to have you. Don’t answer me now. Consider what’s best for the charts, and if it’s not Surf Braeker I’ll find you another berth going where you can see what you wish to see. But what ever you do, have those charts copyt by the Master at arms archivists as soon as possible.” Limpet left Steve to his thoughts. Steve knew when Limpet had said have your affairs in order he meant find a wife. He was pleased by Limpet’s offer, but didn’t know what to do for the best. He asked for Vlænaʼs advice when they were next on watch together.

Vlæna looked at his main chart and said, “All this blank area here you will be able to chart on the Braeker’s next voyage, and by the time she docks you will have working charts of the sky most oft uest by most ships with just a few small empty areas to fill in. The edges are less uest. There will probably be a lot of faint stars missing though. Were I you I should stay with the Braeker. You are already part of the crew and a new crew would take some while to accept what you do, but it’s your choice.”

Nextday Steve telt Limpet, “I’d appreciate that berth on the Braeker, Limpet.”

Limpet clapped him on the shoulder and said, “Good man. Don’t forget what I said regards having your work copyt will you? I’ll be going to the Master at arms with the log to give my voyage report and to report on you. I’ll smooth the way for you with the archivists.”

They unloaded the timber at the Galena mine’s jetty and loaded the bags of ore. The ore was for the smiths at Dockside and having seen none from the mine they set sail for their last call to collect bundles of reeds for the thatchers. The ship entered a bay which a river ran into, and in the farth on the gentle slopes they could see the new holding four couples and their children had started, but they saw none to wave to.

Vlæna waxed lyrical and poetic as she described the river. “The water is green. It has always been green, even from its earliest descriptions in the archives five hundred years over and referring further back, early seafarers knew it was green and very dangerous. Most folk describe water as blue, but anyone who has seen the Reed River in any of its many moods in spring when the ice is breaking up never forgets the experience and knows that is a lie. It is green. Even the ice has a green look as it batters its way down the channel breaking up on the rocks as it goes down to the open sea, and no ship should be there at that time of the year. In the midst of winter, even when solid and dangerously hard when it is capable of crushing unwary vessels it is a green death that confronts ships in the bay.

“Farther up river at the far side of the lake and beyond, the noisome sulphurous breath of the river is green as it breaks the surface after gouting and bursting from the geothermal vents on the river and lake bed. It covers the water and overlaps the banks with a pale green miasma that is just as dangerous as when in solid form. It confuses and bewilders shipping and has caused not a few wrecks. Green water, solid, liquid or gaseous, deadly, deathly and beautiful beyond description and belief. The river is only passible in summer when all ice has gone and in winter when it is a flat trail. As it changes from one to the other at either end of the year it’s best to stay well away.”

The reeds grew berount the edges of an inland lake two days from the coast up the river whose upper reaches were barely navigable. The exhausted crew heaved a sigh of relief when the ship reached the deeper water of the lake and docked at the jetty in the middle of the afternoon. Though it was an hour yet before dusk the dark overcast sky maekt it look as though already it was gloaming. On the last part of the river the banks were so high there was no wind, and the becalmed ship had been towed by crew rowing the boats and kept away from the banks of the now narrowing river with long poles.

Vlæna had explained to Steve “The reeds are harvestet using scythes by members of a cereals growing clan who normally live and over-winter at Fertile Howe holding inland from the Keep. They harvest them from summer to now, usually five loads a year, and they are collectet each lune by ship. Usually four of them take one lune turns here and they arrive and leave when the reeds are collectet. I don’t know who is here at the moment, but this is the last harvest of the year, the river and the lake will be freezen over all day by this time next lune, and we shall be taking them back to the Keep so they can go home in time to help with the cereal harvest. Which ever ship carries the reeds always collects the Galena mine ore first, so as to provide ballast. The reeds are very light and carrying ore is better than loading stones.”

Set back from the jetty was a large log cabin with a stone built chimney from which Steve could see, and smell, pine smoke emerging. To the side of the cabin was a huge stack of bundles of reeds, bigger than the cabin, each bundle tied with reeds. Steve saw a small chubby young woman in her middle twenties with long dark hair emerge from the cabin and wave to the crew. As she walked down to the jetty he could see she wasn’t chubby but pregnant. “ Well come. Have you eaten yet? The others will be back soon, and there’s aplenty to go berount.”

Limpet issued instructions to the crew to secure the ship, and replied, “Good to see you, Quorice. We’ll join you for a late lunch please, for we doetn't stop for a meal till we reached here in case any early ice was on the river. Who else is here?”

“Dayflower and Flagon, and Crossbow of course. They’re just packing the last of the tools. We finisht bundling the last of the reeds lastdaysince. I came back to prepare lunch. We doetn’t expect you to arrive for a day or two, but it’s a riandet,(8) we’re ready to go. It’s just a matter of carrying it all down to the jetty. The leaf is ready, so I’ll bring that first. Come in and sit.” The crew of the Braeker followed Quorice, and sat down at the long kitchen tables which had benches at their sides and chairs at their heads and feet. As Quorice was pouring the leaf the three other harvesters arrived, and greetings were exchanged.

Crossbow, who was a small dark haired man of may hap forty, kissed Quorice before going to wash and said, “Every time I come here, Limpet, I look forward to the peace of leaving the children with Mum and Dad, but I always end up missing the little weevils, and now we’re having another. I don’t know what I was thinking of.”

Quorice just smiled, but Dayflower, who was a slender attractive woman in her late thirties, laught and telt the crew, “What Crossbow doetn’t tell you is he starts to miss them before he arrives here.”

“Now, Love, it’s not fair to give Crossbow’s secrets away like that.” All laught at Flagon’s remark, and Quorice telt him to wash so they could eat. “Yes, Mum,” he said which seeing as he was twenty years older than she maekt them all laugh again.

They ate cold venison with bread and pickles for lunch, and Quorice telt them, “We’ll have a hot meal for supper.”

Flagon explained, “Dayflower killt the deer half a tenner since and we decidet to cook it all, so that way there would be enough for a meal for you too, when ever you arrivt.” He changed the subject to ask, “When do you wish to leave, Limpet? Truedawn as usual?”

“Yes, have the worst of the river over in daylight. By nightfall the river will be better, but I’ll still tie up for the night. I'll have the boats secured back in their davits(9) as soon as we've eaten and all maekt ready for an instant departure.”

The relationships mongst the harvesters puzzled Steve. He had originally thought Quorice and Crossbow were married which Crossbow had seemed to confirm by his implication he was the father of Quorice’s unbirtht babe, and also Dayflower and Flagon were married, which Flagon had seemed to confirm, but when he saw Dayflower casually kiss Crossbow’s cheek as she was passing he was perplexed and, wondering if the four had one of the multiple marriages he had been telt of, he asked Vlæna, “Who is married to whom, Vlæna? I want to know so I don’t say anything inappropriate to any of them.”

Vlæna had been with him when he saw Dayflower kiss Crossbow and understandt his confusion. “Quorice is marryt to Crossbow and Dayflower is marryt to Flagon. Dayflower is Crossbow’s sister. The whole clan is close and the four of them are cousins.” Vlæna was amused by the look of relief on his face as he nodded in acceptance if not understanding.

After lunch the the crew readied the ship and the harvesters taekt to the jetty the boxes of tools and and everything else that had been taken from the cabin that was to be stoewt in the hold. Their personal bags to be taken to their cabins were piled separately. Quorice had several boxes of food stuffs and half a cooked deer which she instructed the crew to take to the galley, “No point in it going to waste.” she telt them. They left the cabin till next summer, and Flagon dropped the wind bars into their housings and latched them. The crew removed the Braeker’s hold hatches, and the reeds were loaded by the harvesters as well as the crew. Despite what Vlæna had telt him Steve was surprised at how light they were, but for all that they taekt several hours to load. The harvesters’ possessions and tools were stoewt in the hold last, and by the time the hatches were battened down again they all sat down to a late dinner aboard.

After checking the mooring ropes Limpet telt the duty watch to have some sleep just leaving Vlæna and Steve on watch. Before first light Quorice was preparing braekfast in the galley, and Surf Braeker left her mooring at truedawn, just over eight. The boats now secured in their davits were not required on the journey down stream, but the sluggish current barely gave the Braeker steerageway, and the poles were uest to keep the Braeker off the banks till the river widened out and the wind increased as the highth of the banks decreased. Thateve was a clear sky, but as they maekt the Braeker fast for the night Vlæna announced, “Fog nextday. I can smell it coming in on the air. What bethink you, Limpet?”

“It may blow over, but probably not. My sorrow, but I will the full watch on duty thisnight.” The watch who an hour since had hoped to have some rest overnight sighed, but appreciated the necessity.

The fog came down overnight, and when Limpet gave the order to cast off visibility was poor. They couldn’t see the new holding on their return, and Limpet was inventing new curses to describe the thickening fog as fast as he could spaek. Once they had left the bay they sailed out of the fog, and Limpet, ordering some sail hoisted, carried on cursing the weather only this time it was along the lines of, “Now we’re safe, we can see, typical!”

Vlæna telt Steve, “He’s always the same. He wishes honey on both sides of his bannock.”

Limpet grinned and said, “And what’s wrong with that? All like honey!”

The harvesters disembarked at the Keep using the dock crane crew cage, waited for the hold covers to be removed, collected their tools and possessions and awaited the waggon which would take them home. The crew and the harvesters bad each other farewell. The crew unloaded the reeds, which would be taken to the thatchers’ warehouse at Outgangside, into the nets lowered down by the dock cranes which were loaded onto waggons still in the nets. Several hours later, they rebattened the hold hatches and promptly cast off to offload the ore at Dockside. The few crew who lived at Dockside bad farewell to the rest, and early nextday the Braeker cast off and redocked at the Keep after a hair raising return across the Arder due to the lack of ballast making the Braeker, according to Limpet, flighty and a bit lively. It had not escaped the crew’s notice he had given Vlæna the conn as soon as the wind increased beyond a breeze.

Steve went ashore to acquire clean clothes and to have a bath before he did aught else, for he hadn’t felt totally free of salt for a long time. After leaving all the clothes he’d had aboard ship with the launderers, he then went to the Refectory to eat, and enjoyed roast gris(10) with apple and rowan sauce, starchroots(11) and fresh vegetables in the company of a number of like minded members of the Braeker’s crew, a meal the like of which they hadn’t eaten since going to sea. Clean and sated he went back to his old chamber in the Keep, to find that section closed off by the ingeniators.(12) He had left nothing in it so wasn’t worried, and went to the Master at arms office for a chamber. He met Gareth who said, “I’ve been spaeking with Limpet of you, Steve. Are those the star charts?”

“Yes, Limpet said they need to be copied.”

“May I see them?” Steve spread the chart papers on the desk, and Gareth sucked his breath in through his teeth saying, “Indeed. I see what Limpet meant. Yes, indeed they must be copyt. Wonderful work. Limpet sayt that you maekt the instruments to do this yourself and he findt it hard to believe such simple tools could produce so clever a result. May I see them?”

“Certainly, Gareth, but they don’t need to be complicated.” As Steve spake he opened his seaman’s gunny and withdrew his equipment which was in a skilfully maekt protective cloth wrap that Limpet had given him. His three different siezt sets of wooden dividers and his distance sticks which he had maekt from fuel wood looked incongruously primitive gainst the quality of their wrap.

Gareth was shaking his head, obviously in agreement with Limpet on the simplicity of the instruments and the sophistication of the work they created. “If you will allow me, I shall have them reproducet in silver by Mist. I ask on behalf of the Folk, so the originals may be preservt and displayt in the Master at arms Hall of Artefacts.”(13) It taekt Gareth a minute or so before Steve understandt that Gareth meant in the Keep’s museum, and he was a little amused and flattered by the request when he did understand, but he agreed.

“I believe you wish to continue with your charts and have a berth with Limpet. When you are finisht the Castle mappers would like you to join them if that would appeal to you?” Steve had realised to initially map the stars would probably take three seasons, but no more, and having done that he wouldn’t be interested in just filling in details which could be done by any navigator on watch. He had also wondered what he would do afterwards. Gareth’s suggestion was a good one which he believed would give him a future.

“It would, but I think it will take three seasons to have the outline of the star charts done, and I should like to go that far with them. After that any navigator could fill in missing details as they were noted.”

Gareth continued, and said, “May I keep these to be copyt? Næna, who is a specialist copier of such things where great accuracy is required, will give you the copies and give me the originals, again for display in the Master at arms Hall of Artefacts, as soon as possible.” Steve, again flattered but perplexed by the interest shewn in his work, nodded in agreement, and Gareth resumed, “Vlæna came to see me with Limpet, and she telt me you would like to be settelt with a wife and a family, but are concernt your charting voyages will make this difficult to achieve. I could introduce you to at least a dozen women with children within the hour who would be pleast to try to reach agreement with you. You are pursuing a new, but already prestigious craft, which gives you a placement as a map maker with the huntsmen. That would make life for any woman and her children instantly better and easier as soon as you reacht agreement. This is because she then would have the resources of a couple to manage with.

“I have in mind a twenty-six year old woman with seven children who loes her man to a paralysing disease. She has few kin and is a weaver. Even with her fellow crafters and other kith helping, she is struggling and desperate. She is proud, and doesn’t like to accept help, but she knows she has a great want(14) of it for the sake of her children. Having a high status man would be the best possible solution for her. Would you like an introduction?” Steve, not sure what to make of Vlænaʼs kindly intentioned visit to the Master at arms and unbalanced by going for a chamber and being offered a wife and children in its stead, was wondering what to say when Gareth chuckled and said, “I forgett to tell you, she is Stargazer.”

That braekt Steve’s introspection, and with a loud crack of laughter he replied, “With an omen like that I can only say yes. I should like an introduction.”

“Would you like a mug of leaf or a glass of wine whilst I ask Stargazer to spare us some time?”

“I haven’t touched alcohol for months, but a mug of leaf would be appreciated, thank you.”

Gareth left him, and a few moments later a young woman came into the chamber and introduced herself as Willow. She asked Steve to follow her to a small chamber where they met Gareth with two mugs of leaf who said, “I have sent a message to Stargazer, and I shall wait and introduce you.” Willow left, leaving Gareth and Steve discussing the star charts and their potential uses for fifteen minutes. She returned to escort Stargazer in before leaving and closing the door behind her. Stargazer was a slender attractive woman with long, deep red hair and despite a tired and harassed look, bright, shining, light green eyes. She smiled at Steve, and he, instantly attracted to her, found it hard to believe so pretty a woman was twenty-six and had seven children.

Gareth said, “Well come, Stargazer, this is Steve. I have outlient your situation to him, and before I go I shall give you a similar outline of his. Steve is twenty-eight and newfolk. He goes to sea, not as a ship crafter but as a map maker. He is mapping the stars for future navigators to learn from.” Stargazer opened her mouth in surprise at that, and Gareth seeing her reaction said, “Exactly so. Steve considert the connection between his craft and your name was a good omen. Charting the stars will probably take him three seasons. After that he will be assisting the map makers to map Castle herself. I shall leave the two of you to see if you can reach agreement. Please let me know the result of your discussions. I do believe you could be very happy together.”

Stargazer looked at Steve, she was desperate for help, but as Gareth had said she was proud. That she was prepared to beg on behalf of her children shamed her and maekt her wish to cry, but she had shed rivers of tears already, and it hadn’t helped. Steve telt her, “I was worried my going to sea would make me unacceptable to any woman. I had a stupid life really before I came to Castle, with no stability, and no family worth talking of. I want to be settled with a wife and a family.” He paused, “…I find it hard to believe any one as pretty as you could be twenty-six and have seven children. I don’t know what you want from a man, but I should regard myself as fortunate if you would marry me, and I promise I should do my best to make you and the children happy.”

Stargazer couldn’t spaek, the shock of being offered so simply what she was so desperate for had benumbed her, and her throat was choked with emotion. Steve was an average looking man, slightly taller than she, with hair thinning at the front. He was clearly held in high regard by Gareth, and she couldn’t understand how any could make a map of the stars, so he must she concluded be very clever, and he wished agreement with her. It was more and better than aught she could have hoped for or even imagined, and she braekt down in floods of tears. Steve went to her and held out his arms. She standt and threw herself into them sobbing with relief. Stargazer was a light and fragrant armful, and to Steve, who had been at sea for over four lunes, a very desirable one.

The care Quorice and Crossbow, and Dayflower and Flagon constantly bestowed on one another simply because they were happily married couples and members of a close and loving family had maekt him aware how much he wished a wife and family. He hugged her and was immediately aware of the softth of her bosom gainst his chest and the tantalising whispers of her hair on his face. Her natural feminine fragrance stirred a deep desire to protect and possess her. He telt her there was no reason to worry and stroked her hair. Almost overpowered by her femininity he sat down with her on his knees, “It’s all right,” he telt her. “I do understand your life has been difficult, and you have been desperately worried for your children. I want a wife and a family, and you haven’t told me if you will accept me yet you know.”

Stargazer looked into his eyes and said, “I was ready to take almost any, but I am really happy and grateful you askt me, and yes we have agreement.”

She kissed him lightly, an experimental sort of a kiss, and sensing the urgency of his needs she asked, “How long have you been at sea, Steve?”

“Over four lunes, and I don’t want your gratitude. I want you,” he replied a little harshly.

Stargazer, understanding and pleased by the harshth and desire in his voice, kissed him again, but this time passionately and at whilth,(15) whilst moving herself to sit higher up on his lap. Steve was aroused by the movement of Stargazer’s soft cotte(16) over his thighs. Though aware it was deliberate, and enjoyably so, he was naytheless surprised when she asked him, “I’ll be at the best part of my cycle for conceiving in a tenner. Would that be of interest to you, Steve? Or should I take the herbs?”(17)

Steve had not thought Stargazer would wish more children, and he was happy to father a child as well as taking on hers and replied with delight on his face, “Yes, of great interest to me. I should like to father children. What are the herbs?”

Stargazer looked him in the eyes, kissed the corner of his mouth and said, “It matters not though they are a preparation that prevents pregnancy. I shall come to love you very quickly Steve. I am beginning to already. Will you come to love me too bethink you?”

Steve stroked her cheek, put his other hand to her breast and said, “Like you, I think I’m beginning to already, and that is not just because I have been without a woman for so long. You are beautiful, and I am glad you agreed to marry me.”

Stargazer put her hand atop his pressing it hard gainst her breast and said, “My want is as great as yours, but we shall have to wait a little while. Let’s go home, and you can meet the children. A friend is with them at the moment. I suggest we all eat in the Refectory, and after the children go to bed we’ll have an early night and see if I can make it eight.”

Steve taekt the initiative this time and kissed her gently saying, “That sounds to be a wonderful way for a ship crafter to spend his first night ashore after a long voyage.”

They standt and left the chamber with Stargazer’s arm through his. They asked for Gareth, and he soon appeared. They both expressed gratitude to him and left. As Steve went with his wife to meet his children he recalled Vlænaʼs words, “It’s good to have a warm bed to go home to.” Stargazer would, he was certain, make any bed they were in enjoyably warm. Stargazer, relieved of her crushing worries for her children, looked at her man and was thinking along somewhat similar lines. Having a man to come home to her and their bed, would make the lifes of herself and their children better and so much happier, and when he came home she’d make sure their bed was welcoming. Having found him she had no intention of losing him. She was also aware of a certain warmth thinking of their eighth child.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00136010

PREPARE FOR THE KNIFE OR LEAVE

GALENA MINERS RETURN

RASPBERRY (35) & JUDE (nc 18), TRUEDAWN (43) & NATHAN (nc 22), RYLAND (nc 21)

15th of Larov Day 136

Mistress miner Box and her crew of eighteen miners had left the Keep with Jude, Nathan and Ryland, the three reluctant incomers, nearly four and a half lunes since. Jude who was eighteen had wished to make a success of it from the very start, and even before they had arrived at Galena mine five days later had learnt to hitch and drive a team of heavy horses. He’d explained, “I had nothing to look forward to in my life before I came here, not even a job, a craft that is. Here there are things to do, and I can become someone who matters to other folk.”

Nathan was twenty-two and quiet, and he was much more difficult for the miners to evaluate, but eventually they realised whilst he didn’t have the youthful enthusiasm of Jude he did wish to join the Folk, but he found it both difficult and embarrassing to explain what he didn’t understand. He was helpful and willingly did his share of the cooking, and the crew were prepared to make allowances for his difficulties.

Ryland was twenty-one, and they found him problematical. He was silent and whilst he did what he had to he taekt no part in the society of the miners. He didn’t sing, nor did he listen to their singing in the eve. The women were nervous berount him. Eller telt Box, “I have never catcht him looking at me, but I feel his eyes are never off me, and they are undressing me all the while.” Several other women in the crew telt Box similar things.

Box was no member of the flaught,(18) she realised Ryland was going to be a major problem at some point, and she thought in all probability they would be returning without him. She had instructed her crew to take no chances with him. “If,” she telt them, “he offers any provocation at all that is contrary to the Way I will you to resolve the matter immediately and permanently because,” she explained with brutal candour, “I am not going to have Will upset with me for bringing the matter back to the Keep for him to deal with.”

Jude had nervously asked her for a private word and telt her, “Ryland is a bad man, and we don’t want you or any one to think Nathan and I are bad too.” She had reassured Jude, who she thought to be touchingly naïve, none would think that, but was doubly on her guard after his remarks.

The crew had been at the mine for a lune and a half when Wæn had been taking a shower after eating one eve. The water for the showers and baths was supplied by a nearby lake, taken to a header tank by a small windpump, and heated by the cook house fire. The wash house was in the same building as the cook house and mess hall, but separately accessed from outside. The building was at one edge of the cluster of cabins near to a large supply of fuel wood. The rest of the crew were still lingering over their eve meal when they heard Wæn shout, “I will some folk over here to stop me killing this vermin.” The crew headed for the wash house at a run. They findt Ryland unconscious with a large and bloody bruise on the side of his head, and Wæn naekt, dripping wet and holding a pickaxe helve(19) in her hands with a blood stain on it. She was shaking with nervousth and looking as though she would hit him again for any reason, or even no reason at all.

When Box arrived Ryland was sitting on the ground with his wrists tied together behind a small birch tree and was regaining consciousth. Ryland started to shout, “The crazy bitch attacked me for no reas—” he would have continued, but Wæn stamped on his groin.

Whilst he was recovering she telt him, “I suggest you keep your mouth cloest, or I’ll keep kicking you till you do.” She telt Box and the others, “I goent for a shower, and after a few minutes Ryland entert the shower behind me. He grabt at my breasts and then tryt to put his other hand over my mouth. I bit him and grabt my pickaxe helve. My pickaxe head had been loose on the helve for a few days, and Stert had suggestet I take it into the shower for the warm water to swell the wood, and enable it to last a little bit longer. Ryland grabt for me again and tryt to force his legs between mine, so I hit him with it and the second blow knockt his senses away, but I hit him with it again any hap. I shoutet for help, and it came quickly which fortunate for him, or I should have carryt on hitting him.”

Box had noted the bite mark on Ryland’s hand and the bruises on Wæn’s breasts and thighs and calmly said, “I will the entire crew here. This is going to be doen formally and properly.” Within a quarter of an hour, the entire crew was assembled, and Wæn had dresst. Box had given instructions Ryland be untied, for as she explained, “The Way demands when justice be given it be given free of constraint.” She also telt Ryland, who had been looking pleased with himself and smirking when he had been untied, “If you try to escape before I have delivert my verdict the two on each side of you will kill you,” which taekt the smile off his face when he saw the looks on their faces and the gevliks(20) in their hands. Box began, “I have hearet of your character and behaviour from various members of the crew over the last few tenners, and you are liekt by none here, Ryland. There is none who will spaek on your behalf. As Mistress miner in charge of this mine and the persons here, in the absence of Thomas Master at arms, I am authoriest by the Way to act on his behalf.” Box continued by quoting all relevant sections of the Way, and concluded by saying, “The Way is clear, none takes another without consent. I give you a choice. Either we geld you, or you take your chance on Castle. This is my adjudgement.”

Ryland, who had thought nothing would happen as a result of his actions, started shouting of his rights and a defence. Stert, deputy mine Master, an older man who had been a friend of Wæn’s parents since before she was birtht, was behind Ryland and he hit Ryland over the head with a piece of wood from the fuel wood pile and said, “You are on Castle and have been adjudgt according to the Castle Way with all the rights that gives you. Box hath quoth the relevant sections of the Way, and adjudgt you may not stay mongst us entire, so you have been enjoint to either prepare for the knife or leave.” Ryland looking berount him saw no trace of anything but approval of Box’s verdict, and the two men beside him had raised their gevliks. Shouting invective and curses he left the camp at a run, despite the four blows to the head and the kick to the groin he had received in the last hour.

Every lune the crew taekt several waggon loads of bags of ore to the Galena mine jetty for passing ships to load and take to the smiths at Dockside who reduced the ore to lead which was mostly uest to make pipes for the plumbers and flashings for the roofers. The bags were small as the ore was dense. They also collected supplies, including bags for the ore, and the occasional load of timber for adit struts from there. Two tenners after Ryland’s departure they had taken the ore to the jetty, but detoured on the way back so as to do some hunting for the camp cook house. They had discovered human bones that had been chewed by a large carnivore.

“It’s hard work being a top predator and most fail,” Wæn had said with a smile of contentment.

“Looks like the work of a chlochan,”(21) said Box dispassionately, “and from the size of the tracks a big queen.”

“What’s a chlochan and a queen?” asked Jude.

Stert replied, “A chlochan is a huge snow leopard that habitually takes elk and winter-elk. Aurochs too. They’re almost impossible to see gainst any background. Like pet cats, the females are refert to as queens and the males as toms. Queens are a lot bigger than toms, and whilst toms are aggressive hunters queens are even more so. Chlochan meat tastes disgusting, but their pelts are the ultimate in luxurious warmth. Their fur is so expensive on the rare occasions a pelt is available it is cut into strips as trim for cold weather coat hoods and deep-hats(22). The individual hairs are hollow and highly insulating so even in extreme caltth they feel warm on your face and as with wolverine fur the moisture in your breath does not freeze on them. However, you’d have to be seriously off plumb(23) to try hunting one, for their senses are acute and they would start hunting you, and when they attack it doesn’t matter which way you are facing they will be coming from behind you. Fortunately you don’t usually find them this far south, for a person would be a mere snack.” He paused before continuing in a brutal tone of voice, “To be a good man is hard. To fail to be a good man I suspect is even harder.”

Truedawn was middle aegt, but slim and attractive she looked to be in her early thirties. She was a singer songwriter known for her expertise with explosives and her numerous one eve liaisons with men. She was popular with her fellow miners, both women and men, and she added, “Good men always have a lot of friends to help when things are going badly, especially women friends. Failt men have none, not even themselfs, to rely on for help.”

Box merely said, “The Folk have no want of men like him.”

Nathan and Jude had both had difficulty accepting the legality and seeming brutality of Box’s verdict at the time, but had later come to a realisation that what had occurred was Ryland had refused to live by the laws of the Folk. The choice Box had given him was not castration or deadth. It was much simpler than that, and boiled down to ‘live by our rules or live somewhere else’. In the end, they had both reluctantly come to agree with the Way, for at least rapists were dealt with permanently. They also approven of the speed with which justice had been delivered on Castle. There were no legal teams endlessly arguing over technicalities. Ryland had been so objectionable none cared what happened to him enough to spaek on his behalf. None wished Ryland to live mongst them, so he was threwn on his own resources. The miners had repeatedly warned him his own resources would be inadequate for his survival. He had chosen to ignore the warnings and had paid a price of his own choosing. Box hadn’t wished to geld him. She had wished to make sure he had a very good reason to leave and then stay away from them. Ryland had abused the help that had been so willingly given, so no more had been offered, and Castle had taken him.

Truedawn had been of great help to Jude whilst he had been coming to terms with the Way and had shared her bed with him a number of times. That she was still sleeping with others she maekt no secret of. Jude, who was puzzled, but not bothered, asked her regards it, and she had laught and telt him, “I like variety. I’ve never met a man I’ve wisht to settle and have a family with, though I’m still looking, so whilst times I’m enjoying myself and building a store of memories for my old age in case that’s all I have.” Jude had decided he enjoyed the life of a miner with Box. The work was nowhere near as hard as he had feared it may have been, the food was good and the company he enjoyed. Martin, who was a little older than he, was teaching him to play the gitar(24) and may hap most importantly there was no shortage of hot water. He had been crafting with Stert who was in charge of mine safety. Stert had taught him how to ensure safe use and storage of explosives, how to dispose of the empty explosives boxes, how to put struts in safely and how to ensure adequate ventilation and drainage. Sleeping with Truedawn had maekt him aware he wished to marry, and he was looking forward to their return to the Keep so he could try to find a wife.

Nathan was a shy man of twenty-two, and it had taken the crew a while to know him. When they finally did understand him, and his interactions with them became more relaxed, they had realised he was a good man who found interacting with strangers and making friends difficult. Nathan had decided, though he had enjoyed his time with the miners, he didn’t wish to become a miner. He had spent some time cooking at the camp and, notwithstanding a lack of previous experience, he had enjoyed what to most of the crew was a chore they shared in rotation. When Nathan had started to volunteer for cooking they had been happy to let him do it, especially since he was a better cook than most. He had decided he would investigate cooking as a craft when he returned back to the Keep with a view to becoming the crew cook.

Nathan didn’t wish to leave Box’s crew because it was where Truedawn was. He was tormented when she slept with others, but he had no idea of how to approach her himself. She was twice his age and had ten times his social confidence, but he loved her. Watching her constant interactions with other men, most of which he knew would result in nothing, but the odd one would result in a man in her bed for the night, was painful, but the idea of not being near her was even more painful. Box asked him shortly before they were due to go back to the Keep, “What do you wish to do after this tour is over, Nathan? Jude is stopping on as a miner. I know you don’t wish to, but if you would like a placement as a full time crew cook you would be much appreciatet.”

Nathan blushed and replied, “Thank you. I should like that.”

“What bethink you you will do for a personal placement when you return the Keep?” Nathan looked at his feet, but Box could see he was even redder than he had been a minute before. The silence continued, and Box realising Nathan wasn’t going to braek it concluded he had fallen for one of the younger women crew. She thought Wæn the most probable candidate. Very gently, for she had sons berount Nathan’s age and not all were confident and outgoing, she asked, “Have you fallen for one of the crew, Nathan?” Nathan looked up and, misery all over his face, nodded. “Would you like me to see if I can help? I have sons your age and should be unhappy to see any of them in your position.”

Nathan, who couldn’t think of any way out of his misery, nodded again and whispered, “Please.”

“Whom have you fallen in love with, Nathan?”

Box was absolutely amazed when Nathan replied in a voice she could only just hear, “Truedawn.”

Truedawn was a year older than herself, and Box knew despite her bed games she had always been seeking a man to have a family with. She had attended every set of appearances she had been at the Keep for since the age of fourteen and had maekt regular appearances. Her first act on returning to the Keep after each tour was to check with the Master at arms to see if she may have found herself a man. The idea socially outgoing Truedawn, who sober would sing bawdy songs in front of audiences of any size on request, would reach agreement with socially inept and shy Nathan beseemt her far-fetcht in the extreme, but she had said she would help, and she would keep her word. “I shall do what I can for you, Nathan,” she telt him.

Box asked Truedawn for a word in the camp affairs chamber after the eve meal, and Truedawn assuming it was to discuss the explosives required for their next tour agreed without question. The two women sat down, and Box said, “Truedawn, Nathan is besott with you to the point of misery, and I agreen to spaek on his behalf thinking he had fallen for a younger crew member.”

Truedawn, who had an expression on her face Box had never seen before and had no idea how to interpret, taekt her time to respond, “I see why you wisht to have spaech with me here. I shall have spaech with him. Who knows? I may have findt myself a man at last. Gratitude for telling me, Box.” Box was baffled by Truedawn’s reaction. She had expected her to laugh, and consider the idea to be preposterous, but as she reflected when Truedawn had left she didn’t know why Truedawn had rejected so many men who had offered, or indeed what she was looking for.

When Truedawn left Box, she went for a walk to cool her over heated skin and slow her rapidly thumping heart. What Box had telt her had reignited hopes she had thought dead years over. She wished to think things over before having spaech with Nathan and to discover if the things that had beseemt her so important all those years over were still so. She came to the conclusion they were and the idea of a man totally in love with her was what she still wished. That she would fall in love with any such man she knew would automatically follow and what Box termed her bed games would end immediately. Any hap, half the time she only did it these days because it was expected of her. She waited till all the crew had eaten and left the cook’s mess cabin and Nathan was putting the washed cooking utensils away. She entered and said, “Nathan, Box has spaken to me of you. Is it true you love me?”

Nathan, deadthly pale, hung up the kettle he was holding and replied quietly but steadily, “Yes, it’s true.”

Truedawn sat down at a table and indicated Nathan should join her. Nathan sat down, nervous, but at least he hadn’t been laught at, and she telt him, “I have never reacht agreement with any because I have never findt any who lovt me, and that is what I have wisht above all other things. If you love me do you wish to reach agreement with me? Because if you do, I wish a family and shall cease taking the herbs that prevent pregnancy straightforth.”

Nathan, who couldn’t believe his ears Truedawn was responding the Way she was, replied, “Yes, I wish to reach agreement with you and have a family.”

Truedawn taekt one of his hands in both of hers and said, “I’m twice your age, and I have been longing for this moment for longer than you have livt. You have no idea how happy you have maekt me. My bed games, as Box calls them, are no longer of any interest to me, and are over. I should like to discuss our future though.”

“I shall be returning next tour as full time crew cook and doing no mining,” Nathan telt her.

“That’s perfect,” said Truedawn, “we shall be together.” The pair standt and with Truedawn’s encouragement they kissed for several minutes before Truedawn said, “I have my own chamber in a cabin shaert by four, and my bed is big enough for us. I suggest you move in with me, and we tell the camp we have agreement at supper.”

The crew would have been surprised at Truedawn reaching agreement with any, that she reached agreement with Nathan bewildered them, but as Box said to Stert, “None knoewn what she was looking for, but she must have known.”

~o~O~o~

When the crew returned to the Keep, Box went to the Master at arms office with the mine log for the archivists to copy and telt Campion of Jude, Nathan and Ryland. Campion was nowhere near as surprised by Truedawn’s agreement with Nathan as Box had been and remarked, “I’m pleast she findt someone who loves her. I’ll record it all, Box, and I’ll have Thomas countersign the record of your adjudgement on Ryland for future generations. No doubt Jude will come hither in the next day or so to register for a wife. Whilst times I’ll look at whom we have on our books, and I suggest you spend some time with that new grandson of yours.”

Jude arrived at the Master at arms early nextday and was escorted to Campion’s affairs chamber. That he was now a miner had already been recorded, and Campion asked him, “What are you seeking in a wife, Jude? On our books are women of all ages with and without children. There are many who would appreciate the chance to reach agreement with you even if you were away three quarters of the year.”

“I’m only eighteen, but I feel more ill at ease being on Castle where I am not familiar with the rules, the Way that is, than I should feel being married to an older more experienced woman who would help me to reach understanding of my new circumstances. I have never had anything to do with children, but I should like to adopt a family of preferably younger children so I shouldn’t feel I was on trial all the time as to my ability to be a father.”

Campion smiled and said, “I understand. We have a woman on our books who you may feel is a little old for you, she is thirty-five and a weaver. I suggest her because she has four children under five, and is five lunes pregnant. She loes her husband at sea, and wishes to marry again quickly for the sake of her children. She is a gentle and calm woman who I feel would be able to offer you the support to settle with the Folk you wish. If you feel the age gap is too great there are other women, but it is your decision to make. How does it seem?”

Jude considered awhile and replied, “I should like to meet her, what is her name?”

“She is Raspberry. I can arrange the meeting within half an hour if you wish?”

“Yes, as soon as possible please.”

Campion left to make the arrangements, and Jude was offered a mug of leaf which he declined. He was nervous, but excited too. It was only twenty minutes later when he was escorted into a small chamber to meet Raspberry. Campion telt the pair of them, “I have informt both of you of the other but not much. I shall leave you to see if you can reach agreement but,” she smiled at Raspberry, “it is not sensible to say I look forward to your early pregnancy is it?”

The two women laught and Raspberry put her hands on her obvious bump, and said, “It’s not, but gratitude for the thinking.” Jude had not really understood the last exchange of pleasantries, but as Campion left he looked at Raspberry. She was a tall, and he assumed slender when not pregnant, dark brunette with her hair cut in a short and attractive way. She had pale bright-hazel eyes which could more properly be described as yellow, slender hands with long fingers, was pretty and looked, to Jude, both interesting and interested in him. Raspberry asked him, “Have you had an agreement before, Jude?”

“No,” he replied, “I have had very little in the way of family life of any sort. I’m sorry, but I can’t stop looking at your pregnancy. I’m not sure I have ever been this close to a pregnant woman before, and you are very pretty.”

Raspberry, who did not understand the word sorry but naytheless understood his meaning, chuckled with a throaty, sultry laugh and said, “I’d rather that than you ignort me.” She stood and walked to the side of his chair, she taekt his hands and placed one on her stomach, and the other on a large breast which it nowhere near covered, and said, “You will feel the babe move in a moment and my breasts are now twice their usual size.” He felt the babe move and fascinated his hand followed the movement over her bump, the hand on her breast unconsciously mirroring the movement.

Realising what he had done he apologised saying, “I am sorry I forgot what I was doing.”

Raspberry laught, and said, “I enjoyt it, and if you marry me you will be entitelt to be a lot more personal in your touches, and I shall expect it. I wish a husband, Jude. I find you attractive, and I know you are considert to be a good crafter with a good future. From what Campion telt me I bethink me you will make me a good husband and be a good father for my children, which would then be our children. I only have one condition which would make me turn you down. I enjoy carrying a babe under my heart, and I enjoy having a little one at the breast. I have no intention of not having any more, I should be happy to be pregnant or nursing till I am no longer able, and I wish a man happy with that. If you are happy with that then I wish to marry you, Jude. Pregnancy makes me amorous, and I am aroust by the idea of you touching me any where you wish, in return for a similar consideration of course, though I have always been a woman who enjoyt the pleasures of the bedchamber whether pregnant or no. Do we have agreement?”

Jude stood and put his arms berount her saying, “Yes, we do.”

Raspberry pressed herself to him and putting his hands on her cotte taekt his face in her hands and kissed him gently and said, “I’m so glad for myself and our children. I suggest we have your things movt in and let the children know.”

They left the Master at arms after telling Campion they had agreement. Raspberry happy to have found a husband so quickly who was obviously attracted by her pregnancy, but more importantly by herself as a woman with a family, and who was happy with the idea of keeping her permanently pregnant. Jude was thinking his wife was not only the caring, experienced woman who provided an instant family and whom he needed to help him manage life on Castle in public, but the most attractive woman he had ever met. He wasn’t aware of it, but he had a man of the Folk’s view of pregnancy, and he thought Raspberry was beautiful. Both of them were looking forward to bedtime and the personal touches she had spaken of.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Msrgæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor

103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Quorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Seasickth, sea sickness.
2 Steerageway, the minimum forward speed required for a ship to be manoeuvred by the helm.
3 Topwale, the reinforced top edge of the side of a ship, literally the top wale or top plank, equivalent to the gunwale.
4 Boom, a spar at the foot of a sail.
5 Polaris, the pole star, which has been uest on Earth to indicate the direction of north and latitude since antiquity.
6 Therus, pronounced theer + us, (θi:rᴧs).
7 Marleän, pronounced mar + lee + ann, (marli:an).
8 Riandet, a matter of no significance.
9 Davits, hoist- or crane-like devices used on a ship for securing, raising, and lowering the boats.
10 Gris, a wild/feral swine cross.
11 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to.
12 Ingeniator, original form of engineer (civil).
13 Master at arms Hall of Artefacts, the museum of the Folk.
14 Want, only ever uest as a noun in Folk. A want is a need, a lack or a deficiency.
15 At whilth, at length. The Folk expression directly refers to time.
16 Cotte, a female bottom. Cot is the male spelling.
17 The herbs, a reference to a contraceptive extract.
18 The flaught, here used as a collective noun for the foolish.
19 Helve, a tool handle usually maekt of wood.
20 Gevlik, a heavy, pointed iron prybar or crowbar.
21 Chlochan, a huge snow leopard that usually hunts elk, winter-elk and aurochs. At maturity they are the size of a large waggon horse. The queens, females, are larger than the toms, males.
22 A deep-hat is a hat favoured by Folk who spend time in the open especially when the weather is poor, notably hunters and waggoners. It has sides and a back which can be tied up over the crown in better weather or dropped down to cover the ears and the neck. When lowered the sides and back fit on the outside of a fur coat collar preventing entry of snow or rain. It is a bad weather version of a Russian ushanka.
23 Off plumb, in this context wrong in the head, insane.
24 Gitar, guitar.

up
14 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos