Castle The Series - 0108 Chris, Heidi, Iola, Sharky, Council

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00210040

FLOOR SWEEPINGS

ALDEIA (14) AND CHRIS (8)

1st of Faarl Day 210

Aldeia had been looking forward to the Quarterday dance for several days, for at last her life held the promise of some joy. Painfully shy, she’d never been able to have spaech with boys other than Coast her brother and she’d avoided the many interested in her, for they’d all intimidated her. Aldeia was tall, slender, pretty and intelligent, but the boys who were interested in her were mostly older boys who had been of no interest to the girls nearer their age, as she put it, floor sweepings. The death of her mum had faded. Even at nearly fifteen she had trouble remembering before Flame, her birth mother Irune’s agreän, took over as head of the family, half a year since. It helped that she had a craft, she was a candler, but she knew she could no longer use Irune’s deadth as an excuse to put off taking steps to agreement and having a family any more, even her mum and sisters said so. She was the eldest of four siblings and the only one still without a romantic interest, and even Flame, who was only five years older than she, with half a year of widowhood in front of her, was looking at possibilities of a wife.

Coast had been heartfrienden with Joy, who was two years older than he, since he’d been not much more than three and Aldeia envied the tranquillity and emotional support her brother had always had as a result. Coast who knew of Aldeia’s deep need for a more adult life, though he’d said naught of it and allowed his mum and siblings to believe Aldeia wasn’t concerned, had telt her she was unbelike to be happy with an older boy, but he had a newfolk friend who would be going to the Quarterday dance looking for a heartfriend and he was probably nearly seven in Castle years. Coast said he thought she would like Chris and not be nervous with him.

Aldeia had telt her brother, “Not yet seven seems over young for me, Coast, and though I’m not acquaintt with any I’ve hearet a lot of the newfolk boys are immature and not considerate to girls.”

Coast had said, “I bethink me that is just spiteful gossip spread by inadequate, older folkbirtht boys who have not managed to become heartfrienden. All the newfolk boys I know, and I bethink me I know all of them anywhere near my age, are better than those, but Chris is in the kennel squad. Those boys love their sisters and are more considerate to girls than most folkbirtht boys. They are mature for their ages and all consider them to be adult, for they are friends with adults of the highest status. They all have considerable status themselfs, and Chris is the one who rides the big black stallion yclept Sleipnir. Mum and the girls are doubtless planning to introduce lots of boys to you at the dance whom you won’t will to dance with for they will make you nervous. Would you like me to have spaech with Chris first? If you do become heartfrienden he and his brothers will have a lot of care to you and none will ever bother one of the kennel squad’s womenfolk. Consider it please, Aldeia. You’ll like him.”

Of all her siblings Aldeia was closest to Coast who was clever and she knoewn concerned she would not manage to find a boy or man who would treat her tightly. She decided Coast would find her a better heartfriend than her mum or her sisters, Catarina and Elixabete, for he knoewn her heart better than they, and in any case Catarina had been heartfrienden with Able for so long she just didn’t see, never mind understand, her older sister’s insecurities and Elixabete was too absorbed in helping her recently acquired newfolk heartfriend Dermit to understand his new circumstances to pay much attention to her sister’s wants. “I’ll try, Coast. How tall is he?”

“Not tall. He has a lot of growing to do, but possibly nine feet when in the saddle,” Coast added the last to give her a sense of perspective. “You are possibly three span taller than he, but you can’t have it all. He has a craft that yields many tokens, a lot of status and belongs to a kinsfolk that have both. He is intelligent and he will grow, but most important of all like his brothers he is kind.”

Aldeia had agreed to the introduction again, and Coast had had spaech with Chris. He’d telt him of his sister’s timidity and asked, “Could you be interestet, Chris?”

“I’m very interestet, Coast, and you have my gratitude. I’ll be there early and tell my brothers to make sure they allow none to intimidate her even unintentionally. What is it you haven’t telt me?”

“Aldeia is three span taller than you. I don’t know how much it bothers her, but I have telt her of you. She is pretty, slender and bright and desperate for a heartfriend. She needs protection from those she is not interestet in, and she is interestet in you. You could do worse than threw her up in the saddle in front of you some time. Too she is nigh to fiveteen and has reacht her full growth so you could become a father before long, for I know she wills a family.”

Chris smiled and said, “Gratitude again, Coast. As to babes, what happens happens. When I worryt regards life invariably it became worse, or it seemt so. When I stopt worrying it became better, for I just coept with it.”

~o~O~o~

When Aldeia arrived at the dance with her siblings, their heartfriends, her mum and Vlada her mum’s current interest, who was a kitchener, she was immediately approached by a couple of dozen girls and boys holding hands who she realised were the squad and their womenfolk. Coast introduced Chris to her and in a loud aside said, “I should warn you, Sister, that Chris is rather fond of brandy.”

A small red headed boy, not holding hands with a girl, said, “I’m Wayland, one of Chris’ brothers. I’m the intelligent one, so if you start to get bort with him catch my eye and I’ll have the others dance with you for a bit of respite. I’ll get Liam, the mountain over there, to find us a table that can seat us all for the meal and our sisters will tell you all our disreputable secrets when Chris isn’t listening. Liam, sort us some tables out will you? Gage, organise some of the others to help push them together will you please?”

Aldeia was amazed that the boys unquestioningly did what so small a boy as Wayland telt them, but a big young woman who introduced herself as Fiona said, “They all do what they’re best at. Gage is the squad leader, but Wayland is the brains of the squad. Chris teaches regards horses. My intendet, Fergal, is their mews(1) instructor.”

Chris and she sat next to each other at dinner and Aldeia was aware the others gave them a tactful space in which to start a relationship. Chris was kind, didn’t press but telt her bluntly in the way of the Folk, “I’m looking for a heartfriend. I do like you and if I’m acceptable I’m yours. I believe you may be concernt regards my highth, but I shall grow and may hap you would obtain a different perspective on that if you rode Sleipnir with me nextday? One thing I can guarantee is none would bother you regards me or aught else with impunity. I can tell my family like you, and the boys would ensure, I’ll not be able to stop them for we have a care to each other, that you are respectet if you choose to accept me. More sauce?”

Aldeia liekt Chris. She found it hard to believe he was so much younger than herself, for like his brothers he behaved like a young adult and their conversation was that of young adults too. Their parents treated them as far older than their years, and it was not long before Chris’ lack of highth was an idiosyncrasy rather that a problem to her. When the dancing started, she danced mostly with Chris, but also with her brother, all Chris’ brothers and his dad. In between dances she had spaech with his mum and sisters and by midnight realised she had not been as happy for a long time. Aldeia asked Beth, “Do you have a craft, Beth? And who is your heartfriend?”

Beth laughed and replied, “Greensward over there, the one drinking and chatting with Dad, Liam and your brother, is my heartfriend, but he’s an apprentice provisioner in the kitchens. I’m Chris’ only family sister, and I’m in the squad.”

Aldeia was astonished and said, “But you’re so delicate and pretty! You hunt with your brothers?”

Warbler overhearing interjected, “Hunts, wildfowls, goes ratting and is the acknowledgt expert on fishing. The prettith and gorgeous clothes are a disguise to prevent you realising how dangerous Beth is with a knife, and she definitely only looks delicate. It’s an illusion she goes to a great deal of trouble to maintain purely to manipulate men and boys, mostly the ones in the family.”

Beth laughed and said in retaliation, “That’s my sister Warbler, Jed’s heartfriend, and she’s even more dangerous, for she can take the eye out of a coney with her sling at fifty strides, and is so slim she doesn’t need to dress up to manipulate the males in the family. Worse, Jed loves her so much he doesn’t even notice when she does, which she’s always complaining regards to any girl who’ll listen.” The girls all laughed, and Aldeia thought Chris’ family were friendly and realised they were all making an effort to make her feel comfortable with them. She was aware that despite what they had said of each other Beth and Warbler were close.

When dancing with Chris, Aldeia kissed his ear and whispered, “You are more than acceptable. You sayt you willen me. I will you too, Heartfriend Chris.”

Wayland was still difficult for her to understand, she knew Gage was the squad leader, but it was Wayland who seemed to tell the others what to do. It was Wayland who said, “Boys, Beth, this is the time to toast the matter. Some one get some bottles.”

Liam said, “Guy, Bittern, you run interference, and I’ll manage the brandy,” which meant nothing to her till she saw the grinning pair of big heavily built boys forcing a way through the crowd to the counter in front of the incredibly tall Liam, who on reaching the counter leant over, grabbed a bottle of brandy in each hand from the table behind it, passed one to each of the others, grabbed another couple and returned to their table.

Brandy was poured, and to her amazement it was Chris’ dad who stood and toasted the pair. “To my new daughter Aldeia and to Chris on his good fortune.”

The toast was drunk and by three when the dance ended the bottles were empty. Even Aldeia had sipped some from Chris’ glass. He walked her home with his arm berount her. The kisses they shared for twenty minutes before she went in aroused her in ways she had no experience off. It was the best day of her life, and she looked forward to riding with Chris nextday afternoon.

~o~O~o~

After congratulating Aldeia and Chris and leaving the dance Spearmint and Alwydd had held hands on the way to her family’s chambers where they kissed and intimately caressed at longth. Spearmint, like her sister, had felt she was being left behind by her peers who all had heartfriends but, though shy, like her sister, she had no qualms concerning intimacy now she had one too. The sisters had discussed the matter many times and concluded intimacy with any else than a heartfriend could not be worth the trouble, or the time, for there would be no future in it. The decision had been taken long since, so Spearmint had had no hesitation in deciding to go to the herbals nextday for the herbs to prevent pregnancy, for she been sure she’d be making love as soon as the herbals telt her she could. She’d maekt Alwydd aware of her intentions and it was a deeply satisfied pair that yet again shared a bed that night though sleep was long coming for both.

Storm had wondered just how far their relationship had gone, though being folkbirtht his wondering had been only that: wondering. He, typically of the Folk, considered that children did what they were ready for and his wondering had been purely because Alwydd was not folkbirtht. Judith and he were aware the children had started to sleep together some while since, and he’d explained to Judith that sharing a bed from time to time was not unusual for even much younger heartfriends, and many shared a bed for years before their intimacy became completely adult in nature.

Alwydd was a well behaved and quiet boy, and Judith and Storm considered his relationship with Spearmint to be good for both the children. It wasn’t that Spearmint kept him out of trouble rather that she settled him to his new life on Castle and he was obviously much happier now they were heartfrienden. Spearmint had admitted to Judith that having a heartfriend was not just nice for all the obvious reasons, but it also taekt away the peer pressure that had been there when she didn’t have Alwydd which had maekt her feel a little inadequate too, and most of all it givn her some one special to have spaech with when she was sad or troubled.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00210050

EVENT CONCERNING THE DANCE

HEIDI (8)

1st of Faarl Day 210

Lastdaysince, Heidi had asked if she could join a group of her friends who were going to the Quarterday dance. Judith and Storm hadn’t wished to go, for Judith was five lunes pregnant and ungainly, so were reluctant to allow Heidi to go, but Iola, who was going with Heron, had assured their parents that she would look after Heidi. Alwydd and Spearmint were going and dining and dancing with the squad, Beatrix and Jackdaw. Iola added that not only would she and Heron never be far away from Heidi and both of them would ensure none taekt advantage of her, Alwydd and the squad were protective of Heidi, and no boy would offer affront to any under Jackdaw’s protection.

Given the presence of Iola, Heron and the squad with their parents, both Storm and Judith had considered that Heidi would be perfectly safe despite being only six in castle years. Storm had agreed to collect Heidi at half to midnight. On her way home Heidi had telt her dad she had enjoyed herself with her friends which included the squad and their heartfriends and Beatrix and Jackdaw had trett her just like her mum and dad would have done, though Jackdaw wasn’t as good a dancer as her dad.

~o~O~o~

When Heron had escorted Iola home just before midnight they kissed for some minutes and she put his hand inside her gown to her breast. “I do love you, Heron, but I must go. I need to be at the kitchens.”

“I love you too, Iola. I hope all is plumb for you.”

“Have a good sleep, Heron.” With that she kissed him again, opened the door and turned back to wave goodnight as he left. Both were still intoxicated by the further intimacy the day had given them, and it was a long time before Heron slept.

Iola was quiet so as not to make her parents and grandparent aware she was home. They were in bed, but unbelike to be asleep yet. They had expected her to stay at the dance till it finished at three. Iola left a note for them she had written in the Greathall merely saying Heidi had spent most of the eve dancing and the rest chatting with friends whilst enjoying fruit juice with bubbles in between dances. She’d added she had gone to the kitchens and would be there till the eve meal. Watched by a sleepy Heidi who said nothing, she quickly changed her dancing gown for normal day wear and a kitchen apron and had been home for only a few minutes before she left for the kitchens.
Iola had been up for eighteen hours and was planning on being up another eighteen, though she had not telt Heron or her parents that. She’d decided there was little point in going to her kitchens at six the following forenoon because that may not give her enough time to make good what she knew she would find.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211010

IOLA MISTRESS COOK

STARTLING AS SHE MEANT TO GO ON

2nd of Faarl Day 211

Her heart pounding and her breasts afire with their memory of Heron’s touch, Iola had walked into her kitchens at midnight as Quarterday ended and the first working day of the new year for most of the Folk started. The overnight crafters knew who she was and had been telt by Gibb she was now their Mistress cook, but they had expected her in six hours time, when they would be going home and the early crafters starting their day’s endeavours. Most had had dealings with her, but a few of the more able were nervous, for surely they reasoned something threatening lay behind Milligan’s shock appointment and elevation of recently apprenticed Iola, who rumour had it admitted to being not yet eleven, to a position of considerable power. Surprisingly to herself, Iola had quickly calmed as she realised her staff looked far more worried than she felt and she did have a plan that would buy her time no matter how disorganised she found her kitchens to be. “What are we cooking for thiseve?” she asked.

“Pea(2) soup, vegetable soup, kine(3) soup and cockerel soup, Iola,” she was telt by a number of voices, not all of which gave the soups in the same order.

“And we’re making four kettles of stock for the meat cooks, too,” someone added.

At her request, Iola was shewn the soup, of which there was nowhere near enough. In her opinion only the pea had any right to be called soup. The others were thin and tasteless, and the stock was little better than washing up water. “What’s that?” she asked, pointing to three nearly full kettles that were gently simmering, all on the same stove.

“Sixty or so gallons of mixt root soup left over from lasteve’s meal,” Harle replied. “It’s for the overnight crafters.”

Iola tasted the root soup and nodded her head. It wasn’t good, but it was acceptable, if only just. As a result she decided to put her contingency plan into operation. “Do we have the makings of three hundred and fifty gallons of pea soup?” She already knew the answer but asked so as to put her crafters a little more at ease.

“Not here, but we know where to fetch the dryt peas and the redroot(4) from in the stores. The saltt gris(5) we can fetch from the provisioners, but it will be un-boent flitches.(6) But if you say we may take it, we may.” The spaeker was Parsley, a middle ranking cook in her thirties.

“Please do so in a minute, Parsley, and then let’s have it maekt immediately.” She turned to a woman little older than herself, “Tell the firekeepers we need the stoves all fuelt and lit immediately please, Fledgeling.” Fledgeling, maekt nervous by Iola knowing her name, was relieved to be away from what she thought may become a scene of raised voices, and she left in a hurry.

“How do we prepare the saltt gris flitches, Iola? The provisioners always do it and give us the cut up meat. None of us know how to prepare flitches.”

“We don’t, Letta. We just slice the bones out of the flitches as a sheet and cut what we will small enough to share it equally mongst the kettles, and let the cooking braek it all down. We can cut the meat to size when it is cookt and we remove the bones. I’ll do it and shew you. What do we have as our reserve?” Iola looked at Harle, another middle ranking cook, as she spake.

Harle looked her in the eyes and nervously replied, “Naught, Iola. Naught was prepaert for Quarterday eve, and when Eudes left, the reserve was uest.” He paused and then added, “We’ve only the left over root soup maekt. Eudes had said what we were going to cook thisnight before he knoewn he was leaving, so that’s what we started, but we doetn’t have a head for the kine soup.”

“Then that means we need three hundred and seventy-five gallons of pea soup. Do we have any bones to use for the meat cooks’ stock, Harle?”

“There’re no more from the kitcheners, but there are some in a freeze chamber we can use, but they will be really calt and take a long time to warm.”

“I’d like enough bones to fill eight big kettles, please. I’d like all the stoves hot, very hot, with at least fourty of the big kettles a third full of water sett to boil. We’ll put the bones in trays on the stoves with a little water so the steam can help them thaw. We’ll use an upturnt tray over them as a lid and keep topping them up as the water evaporates. We keep turning the bones over to prevent burning, and after an hour we’ll put them and any liquid left with them into the boiling water in the eight kettles. A few can go in the root soup too. How many staff have we crafting at the moment, Harle?”

“Fifty-six, if you include the volunteers, and you make fifty-seven. Twenty-two of us and you are crafting thisnight.”

Iola smiled and telt the gathered crafters, “I am not blaming any, and I don’t wish to know who doet what, but I do will to make good soup. The days when most of the soup servt was so poor it remaint in bowls to be threwn away are over. We shall serve no soup we should not enjoy ourselfs. Now back to our immediate problems. A few bones, some starchroot(7) for thickening and a couple of hours will improve the root soup dramatically. The pea soup will be good with a bit more fat to it to smooth the texture of the fallen peas, the vegetable soup needs a lot more vegetables in it, the kine soup is barely adequate for stock base and the cockerel soup is in need of a lot more cockerel, both meat and bones, and time we don’t have. The stock is not much different from washing up water. We are lucky we don’t have to prepare soup for thisday’s lunch since that means we have eighteen hours in which to make seven hundred and fifty gallons of soup and a hundred, preferably two hundred gallons, of stock, and I shall be here for all eighteen of them.

“There are enough of us to do it all, and let’s hope I can plan it so we don’t have to work as hard nextday. I anticipatet some confusion as a result of Eudes’ departure and lastday being Quarterday, so I plannen accordingly, so let’s forget having four different soups, and do what we reasonably can. We’ll make fiveteen kettles of pea soup, fourteen to serve and one for the reserve. We do the same with the vegetable soup which will need two hundred weights of mixt vegetables. The bones I will are to be uest for stock along with fifty weights of vegetables and the kine soup can go in with them too, it’s not worth trying to improve. The cockerel soup kettles can be taken off the heat. A pole through the handles liftet by two men able to lift sixty-five weights each will do that. Have we two such men, or do I need to ask the firekeepers?”

Harle replied, “Cockle and I can do that, Iola.”

Iola nodded and continued, “Gratitude to you both. The cockerel soup will give us a start on nextday’s crafting along with any soup left from thisday. Puffin, will you please organise five crafters to fetch a hundred weights of dryt peas, fiveteen of redroot and a hundred of saltt gris flitches? That should do to make the extra soup and provide a bit more flavour for what is already cooking which I wish you to share out mongst the fiveteen kettles. Harle, after you and Cockle have taken the cockerel soup kettles off the heatth, which till we are organiest you can leave at the side of the stoves, will you please take five crafters to help you collect the bones? As I said, enough to fill eight kettles. The four kettles of stock and the kine soup are to be shaert out into the eight kettles of bones and any left over can go in the vegetable soup.

“If you have a choice select bones with meat on and if there are any easily accessible feet or knuckle bones bring them too please. Parsley, will you please organise five crafters to bring two hundred and fifty weights of assortet vegetables. Try to bring fifty weights of ones in need of use for the stock. We need onions,(8) a little celery,(9) root vegetables including some starchroot and waxroot(10) and aught else you opine would add taste or has a want for use. In addition twenty weights of poorer starchroot for the root soup. As with the pea soup share the vegetable soup cooking mongst the fiveteen kettles. The rest of you please place the kettles on the stoves and start putting water in them. I shall make leaf for us all before I help you, so that we at least start refresht.”

That Iola knew the names of a considerable number of them and her consideration for them by making the leaf herself taekt a lot of the sting out of her remarks regards the soup and stock which most of them knew to be true. Iola’s quiet confidence as to what needed to be done, and her references to we and us, settled her crafters who needed supervision and guidance. That with her unwillingth to apportion blame and her lack of interest in past events settled her able crafters. Because of the usually poor quality of past soups and stocks they had never been appreciated. None of them had had the authority to change aught, and few had any ability to improve things. None of their previous Mistress and Master cooks had cared, all had resented suggestions and none had ever helped but only issued orders, but it seemed things were going to change now. Iola’s ability to calculate instantly how much of what was required for any given amount of soup seemed extraordinary to those able to appreciate her ability.

Iola was pleased to see Harle had found a box of mixt animal feet and tails. They were calt and most still had considerable hair on them, but after thawing, trimming, singeing and washing there were enough for two feet to each kettle of vegetable soup. The remaining feet and tails she had cut at the joints and distributed mongst the root soup and stock kettles.

When the firekeepers arrived with handcarts of wood as soon as they had the first lot in the calt stoves and had lit them Iola insisted they too take leaf before going for their next load. Her crafters were amazed when they saw Iola slice the sheets of ribs, complete with the meat between them, out of the flitches of saltt gris with a half stride long steak knife and use a cleaver to quarter them which reduced all in size just enough to go in the kettles. Fast it was, butchery it wasn’t, but as she said, “The cooking will do the butchery, and we haven’t the time to waste, so we put the lot in as it is: meat, bones, fat and skin too. Puffin will you and your helpers please return the boent flitches to the provisioners please.”

She telt the crafters to wash the redroot, remove any bad, cut the scrubbed tops and greens off for the stock kettle and just chop the rest unpeeled as half wiedth rounds into the peas, which astonished them all. The kettles of pea soup were cooking within the hour. The vegetables for the vegetable soup were treated in the same way, washed, any bad removed and then roughly chopped without peeling before being added to the soup. Only the onions were peeled, and Iola had the peels boxt ready for the dyers. The lower quality vegetables, as well as all roots, stalks, cores, tops, greens and outer leafs, had been washed and were given a treatment none had ever seen before or even hearet of. Iola picked up a conveniently siezt piece of fuel wood and uest it like a mallet to crush a whole whiteleaf(11) and its tough stem before throwing the entire crush into a stock kettle. She treated samples of all the difficult vegetables the same way, and the rest went in the kettles whole. She telt her crafters to select a convenient piece of fuel wood and join her. For many of them it was the first crafting they had ever enjoyed, for they weren’t shouted at, the gossip was good, and the tales they would have to tell! The starchroots for the roots soup were washed, all bad material removed and rough chopped complete with peel before adding to the soup.

By three, at Iola’s request, the firekeepers had reduced the fierceth of the stoves considerably and the soup kettles were barely abubbling at a gentle simmer, the bones were in the now topped up stock kettles and they’d had time for another mug of leaf as well as their meal. The aroma in the kitchens was delicious, and the crafters knew things had indeed changed, for it had been rare that any of them had associated the smells in the soup kitchens with aught they’d willen to eat. The starchroots had fallen and thickened the root soup which was much improven and pronounced tasty by both Iola’s crafters and the grateful overnight crafters. Iola had telt her crafters to put any left over root soup into the vegetable soup, but to their surprise there had been none left. They knew the soups they were making were far superior to aught they had ever produced before because Iola kept asking them, “What does it taste like?” Initially they’d been reluctant to try it because they’d always been telt tasting was the Mistress or Master cook’s rôle, not theirs, but Iola insisted, “I can’t keep tasting it all, I’d never be away from the facility. They’re your kettles, you taste them, and try each others’ too, so you know how yours are progressing.”

By the time the day crafters arrived at six, the overnight crafters were reluctant to leave till they had seen how the bones were dealt with. Iola explained, “I’ll leave them to cook till lunch, remove them from the stock to fresh water to rinse and cool them and then run a hand over them to remove the softer material and meat which I’ll add to the stock. I’ll do the same with the saltt gris bones. The rinse water starts a new soup or stock later. Ideally I should prefer all bones cooked for at least a full day, so I’ll put them to one side to finish cooking when we have some time to cook the last of the goodth and taste out of them. I’ll be here till six thiseve. I’ll have some sleep then and be back again at midnight. I’ll make sure you all know what you have to do before I arrive, and gratitude to all for your hard work. I’d appreciate it if someone makes sure there is always a kettle of leaf available for our crafters and the firekeepers.” It was a happy group of crafters that left for bed.

Adela was crafting from six till six that day, and she had noted the smiles on the overnight workers’ faces. When Iola explained what had happened overnight, Adela, who, despite her familiarity with Iola, which was better than most in the kitchens had for she was close kith with Alice Iola’s previous Mistress cook, had wondered if Milligan were entirely sane appointing a girl as a Mistress cook, realised yet again Milligan had known exactly what he was doing. “What would you like me to do, Iola? I could help you with planning for nextday, or assist the crafters whilst you manage the planning, or is there something else you would rather I do?”

“Would you please organise the crafters till they can be left and then help me? I need to find something to improve the cockerel soup, something with which to cook a decent kine soup and I’d prefer to make two other soups, though I’ll settle for a double quantity of one. And I wish some more quality stock making. I’d be grateful if you find out what the butchers, provisioners and storekeepers have that could help us and for any ideas you have too. Whilst times I’ll be looking through our kitchen’s receipt books.” Adela seriously doubted that the receipt books would be of much help, if any, but she didn’t say aught.

At eight, Gibb was on his way to look in at the soup kitchens to see how Iola was managing, but before he reached there he met Adela. “I wouldn’t bother even checking if I were you, Gibb. She left the dance early and started crafting at midnight. That little girl knows exactly what she is doing. She knows how to make soup and stock and moreover how to handle staff. Her entire staff and the firekeepers will protect her from any other and once the Folk taste her soup she will have no need of support. I’d leave well alone for half a tenner were I you.”

Gibb smiled and said, “So yet again Milligan knoewn what he was doing! You’ll tell him will you, Adela?”

“Certainly. I have a belief there is long overdue change in the air, and not just in our kitchens.”

When Adela returned she said, “The crafters are all settelt and know what to do for the next hour at least, Iola, and I’ve set eight kettles of fresh bones acooking for stock and had the bones from the roots soup addet too. I’ll have the bones from the pea soup addet to them later, and I’ve another lot thawing for nextdaynigh. The bones you uest are still cooking too. When they come out of the kettles for the stock to be uest they can continue cooking in fresh water and when they come out of that another lot can go straight in the same liquid. We’ve stoves and kettles to spare so best we use them for stock making, for we can freeze any surplus as an emergency supply or use it for soup ourselfs. I askt the storekeepers to deliver vegetables in need of use for the stock. They will deliver them as soon as they’ve finisht sorting the sweetroot,(12) probably later this forenoon.”

Iola, completely unaware of Adela’s departure from her previous neutrality was stricken and remarked, “I should have thought to do that last night.”

“You were busy. Don’t worry. When I had spaech with Coaltit of the stock vegetables she sayt she has enough mushrooms and fungi she’d appreciate you using for you to make three hundred gallons of mushroom soup, but I haven’t bethinkt me of a fourth soup yet.”

“I have. Leek and starchroot baest on a bone stock, and I’ll include some conegrass(13) kernels with the cockerel soup if we can obtain some more cockerel.”

“There’s no cockerel or laying fowl available, but would you accept wildfowl? Because there’re wildfowl carcasses aplenty available from the freeze chambers, mostly duck and goose. Some are cookt and some are not, but there’s enough meat on them. After the butchers, I tryt Dabchick for cockerel. She shewt me the wildfowl carcasses.”

Iola smiled and said, “Perfect. Just the kine soup now.”

“When I goent to ask the butchers for cockerel they had none, but I seeën a couple of aurochsen(14) heads and a dozen or so fleetfoot(15) heads. They’ve probably been sent to Dabchick by now, but you could have them skint and cut the meat off for a kine soup, that’s what we usually do. The tails and feet too will still be available if you wish them, for none else will have uest them.”

“No! Far too much work. Let’s have the heads skint, the aurochs heads chopt in half and cook the meat off. The feet and tails just need the hairs flaming off before washing to remove any burnt residues. I doubt we’ll need all the heads, but we can cook excess soup and serve it till it’s gone.”

“That does seem easier. I’ll see Morris regards it if you like, or Dabchick if they are with her, Iola?”

“Please. And I wish the brain too.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211020

DELIGHTFUL STAMINA

LUCIMER (44) AND SHARKY (15)

2nd of Faarl Day 211

Sharky and Lucimer met at the Quarterday dance lasteve. She was a forty-four year old wainwright, a widow of two years who had lost her children to the fevers, and she had decided she wished a young and vigorous man who could give her children quickly. Sharky’s lack of intellect didn’t worry her, because she knew they wouldn’t have much dispute, and that night she found his stamina exhilarating.

After braekfast, Lucimer met Beatrix and Jackdaw. They liekt Lucimer and considered her to be a good match for Sharky. His siblings thought it to be good too as Lucimer would look after Sharky who was incapable of looking after himself. Sharky was back in an older woman’s bed, an intelligent older woman who organised his life much better than his birth mother had done. Lucimer cleared a portion of her workshop, so Sharky had his own space in which to make fishing tackle, and though he still was a full time member of the squad he enjoyed the time he spent working near his wife. He was happy to let Lucimer make all their decisions and thought she was pretty. She wasn’t, and she knew it, but she knew Sharky thought she was, and was happy it was so, happier still because he telt her so regularly. Sharky referred to her as Mum, and the answers to some penetrating questions on her part had somewhat discomforted her. The idea that Sharky, his sister and his mother could not afford to heat their chambers, and had had to share a bed, not from choice but because they’d had to use the blankets off his sister’s bed to keep her babe warm in her crib, maekt her glad she was of the Folk. She had not asked what they had done sleeping together because she wasn’t bothered. Sharky was her man, sharing her bed now, and she was happy that Mum was Sharky’s pet name for her. After a tenner they were very much a couple in love and hoping she would be pregnant betimes.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211030

WORRIED FAMILIES

HEIDI AND RAMPION

2nd of Faarl Day 211

In the early afternoon Siskin and Weir visited Judith and Storm, and asked if they could have private spaech. The children were all out. Heidi, Stephanie and Rock had taken Matthew with them to the Greathall, so a very puzzled Judith and Storm replied, “Certainly,” and Storm maekt leaf.

When Storm returned Siskin said, “I should appreciate this to be regardet as being sayt in confidence.” It was clear that Siskin and Weir were embarrassed by what they felt they had to disclose.

“I shall respect the confidence, Siskin,” Judith responded, and Storm nodded his agreement.

“Rampion is not clever, Judith, and though he is my eldest I am almost certain he will not be suitable to be Lord of Castle. He is fourteen and a half, and so an adult, but his behaviour and intellect is only that of a child of nine or ten.”

Despite his lack of experience, Rampion, a craft seamstress, was already an acclaimed knitter of babes’ clothing whose garments were much sought after. He was also a cross craft entertainer as an established conjurer in demand for entertainment in the Greathall. Neither Judith nor Storm were aware of him as aught else, though they both knew he was Siskin’s eldest.

“Why are you telling us this, Siskin?” asked an extremely puzzled Judith.

An embarrassed and red-faced Weir answered, “Because Rampion spent all lasteve dancing with Heidi, and when they weren’t dancing they were holding hands for all at the dance to see. We assuemt you would already know of it. He has telt us they are heartfriends.”

Siskin continued, “We believt Heidi to be at least twelve because of the way she spaeks and behaves, for many women grown are no taller than she, and her hips are those of a young woman, not those of a girl. We were taken aback when Rampion telt us he is six years older than Heidi, and since we understand the difference between our years and Earth years, even if he doesn’t, we are not terribly happy with the situation and wish to know how you consider it. I can assure you I have no suspicion of vaucht on his part what so ever, for Rampion simply can’t consider things that way, for he is not clever enough to manipulate any, but if you tell us it has to stop. I will put a stop to it, despite the Way.”

Judith and Storm were taken aback by what they had just been telt, which Judith was as aware of the significance of as Storm. There was a long uneasy silence, and Judith braekt it by saying, “All my children are unusual in one way or another. I suspect their incursion has maekt them all somewhat precocious, even little Matthew. Before I come to any conclusion as to what I think, I wish to have spaech with Heidi.” Siskin and Weir nodded, and Judith paused for thought before continuing. “None can prevent children growing up, and Heidi is more nearly of Iola’s maturity than that of Alwydd who is between them in age, and we are happy that Alwydd is heartfrienden with Spearmint. This last half year Heidi has grown two spans and is working on womanhood as all can see.” Judith waited at least half a minute to formulate her thoughts before continuing. “Should Storm and I ultimately decide we be not unhappy with the situation what will the two of you think of that?”

Weir, much relieved by Judith’s reasonable response, replied, “We shall be grateful that a girl of such notet intellect has taken an interest in him and hope it lasts.” Siskin nodded her agreement with her agreän’s reply.

Storm said, “We shall have spaech with Heidi thiseve, and with you later in the eve if that is convenient?” It was a relieved Siskin and Weir that agreed and left them.

Judith smiled at Storm and said, “I suspect she knows exactly what she is doing, Love. He may not be very clever, but she’s clever enough for the two of them and is probably determined to support him in becoming Lord of Castle as his wife. I also want to hear what Iola and Alwydd have to say, especially Iola. I doubt Mum and Dad know anything of it or they would have sayt.”

A slow smile lit Storm’s face, “Mum says she’s ambitious and telt me Heidi is determint to be a Councillor. She’s certainly clever enough. I should never have conceivt of her marrying Rampion, but I suspect you are correct. If that be the case, it will certainly make her happy, and she is more than able to make Rampion happy, so I suppose the only thing to do is be seen to approve of them. Since Iola wrieten naught of it in her note, she must approve and naught unseemly could possibly have taken place, but if we will spaech with Iola betimes we shall have to find her in her kitchens, for despite her note I doubt she’ll be home before late eve.”

The couple uest the walkways to the kitchens where they found a busy and obviously happy Iola. Judith asked bluntly, “What is your opinion, Love, of the situation regarding your sister and Rampion?”

Iola replied without a second’s hesitation, “Rampion will look after Heidi, and he is big enough to make sure the boys who are mean to her because she is clever stop it, which Alwydd and I approve of. He is a nice boy. I like him, and Alwydd sayt he is plumb which means honest and decent, Mum. If you are worryt he will take advantage of Heidi, you can rest easy. If aught it will be the other way berount, but I doubt it because they already have a care to each other, and make each other happy. Heidi hadn’t sayt aught of him to me, but Spearmint sayt they’ve known each other for lunes. She must have been right because I could see they were seeking each other as soon as we entert the hall. Heidi and I talkt,(16) and she loves his care to little children, and doesn’t care he’s not very clever. She opines it serves the other girls right that after making fun of him because of his shyth, which hurt him, he has a heartfriend, and now they would like to be in her place. Rampion is happy, and I believe relievt, he has findt a heartfriend. I’m sure one day he will be father to my nieces and nephews and I look forward to it. Alwydd hasn’t sayt much of it, but he will be happy regards that too.”

Iola had decided some while since not to tell her parents some of the older boys derided Heidi’s still flat bosom yet full hips because she knew their dad would have done something regards it, which wouldn’t have improven things for Heidi. Now it didn’t matter, for Heidi had Rampion, and the boys would be aflait to annoy him by being unpleasant to his heartfriend whose arguments he now had the right to defend. Heidi was may hap happier as a result, but since she never had cared what boys she referred to as ‘inadequates no girl of any sense would be interestet in’ had said may hap it maekt little difference to her. It was clear to their parents that Iola and Alwydd were happy regards their new brother.

“Gratitude, Iola. We had almost decidet to support them, and I bethink me you have just calmt all our remaining worries, so we shall do so. When will you be home, Love?”

“Just after six, Dad. I’ll eat here and come home to sleep. I wish to be back here for midnight.”

Anxiously Judith said, “Don’t make yourself ill with work, Love.”

“I know, Mum. But I have to have everything working properly before I can take time off.” Iola looked berount her before smiling and continuing in a whisper, “Things are pretty bad at the moment, and I have to be here.”

She kissed her parents and waved as she left them almost at a run.

The brief conversation Iola had had with her parents concerning her sister had given her a warm feeling. She was happy to be in love with Heron and knew Alwydd was much happier due to his relationship with Spearmint. She was glad Heidi was to be developing a similar happith too. Heidi being six years her junior was not of concern to her because she knew Heidi was far in front of her intellectually and not far behind herself emotionally. Many folkbirtht children of Heidi’s age and even younger had heartfriends, and Iola considered her relationship with Rampion to be entirely appropriate. The two girls were close, and though Iola was nearly a foot taller than Heidi and Heidi had yet to acquire a noticeable bosom her hips and cotte were more womanly than her elder sister’s. Iola had mentioned to their mum some whilth since that though Heidi had yet to experience menarche her temperament was cyclical as though she had. Judith had said, “I have noticed, Love, Granny too. She’s young for womanhood, but it can’t be far away. Granny suggested we buy her a shoulder bag with what she will need in it as a celebration of her womanhood.”

Judith was reflective as she said,“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Iola so happy, Storm, but she’s taken on a huge burden for one her age.”

“Yes. I know, but I’m sure managing all the difficulties she faces will make her happy too, for at last she is able to determine what cooking is doen and how, the want of which obviously hurt her more than either of us realised.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211040

COUNCIL MEETING

THEY ATE MY SNAILS

2nd of Faarl Day 211

During most lunes the full Council meeting was held on the first of the lune; the exceptions were in Faarle and Chent when the first was a Quarterday and the Council meetings took place on the second.

Alsike was telling the Council of the latest situation regarding the new growing techniques and experiments brought by the incursion. “Claudia’s seed sprouting, Raymond’s water vegetables coupelt with Buzzard’s carp raising experience, Miriam’s hydroponics and Quail’s tank grown food ideas have all startet to bear fruit and are producing haelth giving food at a time of the year when of yore fresh food has been none existent. This is particularly true of the several different types of seed sprouts which are now being grown in considerable quantity. They have impresst the cooks and are very popular especially with children. We have difficulty regulating production, going from huge surplus to shortage within a tenner and just as quickly back again. Mostly that’s because batches of seeds, even of the same type, germinate at different and unpredictable rates.”

Milligan added, “From our point of view the sprouts are easy to use, we use them raw, lightly steamt or thrown into a dish as it nears completion. Virtually no work is involvt in using them and my office can’t have enough of them, even when there is a glut of them none are wastet. We are regularly running out. We’ve had a small amount of crispstem,(17) watercress(18) and duckweed(19) from the tanks which were uest in salads and soups and a pail of water snail which were uest in marine soup. All were a success, and we are hoping to take delivery of more betimes. We are also looking forward to trying the other new products too.”

Milligan had decided to keep to himself his decision to appoint a child of less than eleven, and less than half a year’s experience, as a Mistress cook. He was desperate for competent staff and knew his decision would be seen as a huge gamble by the Council, though he was convinced it be not. That Will had maekt a similar decision for similar reasons would make little difference since a major office in the chaotic kitchens would be perceived as a far more sensitive and significant placement than that of the kennel Master. That he would have been supported by Rowan she had maekt clear, but he felt it be better not to need support. Gibb and he had decided to keep a close watch on the situation and to provide what ever aid was required. They fervently hoped by the next Council meeting all would be resolved and there would be no support required for his decision.

Gosellyn remarked, “There is a noticeable improvement in haelth as a result of the sprouts and the yoghurt. It is always difficult to ensure children eat enough nourishing food at this time of the year when they simply don’t like a lot of it. They like the sprouts and are haler for them.”

Alsike resumed, “George’s warm water heating using Eleanor’s and Woad’s gas production is allowing us to combine food growing ideas and techniques in ways unimaginable just half a year since. All our combient previous experience and the new knowledge is now being uest to grow fresh food in the warm water tanks within the protection of the Keep during the caltth of the winter. The gas lighting makes the plants grow much better and George’s apprentices are making the lights less fragile all the time.” Alsike chuckled and continued, “Buzzard was initially surpriest by the idea of keeping carp in tanks, but he soon embracet the concept enthusiastically. He was a little upset when he introducet some of his carp into a mixt vegetable tank and they ate all the fresh water snails he had been due to harvest which is why there has only been one pail of them delivert to the kitchens so far. He had to start all over again with a fresh lot of small snails in a tank with no carp.”

There was considerable amusement at Buzzard’s dismay as they imagined the sort of language he would have uest at the time. He was generally an even tempered man, but his friends all agreed when upset he could elevate cursing into an art form. “My composters are happy to receive the pre-digestet material from the gas barrels. It is saving a considerable amount of work, and we opine it will produce results as good if not better than the uncompostet material, but we shall only know for certain when the winter is over.”

Wolf informed the Council, “The kennels and mews are now being muckt into the gas system along with the stable manure, for the little extra makes no difference. We are now considering building another gas making system in the Keep to deal with effluent from the water facilities createt by Mike and Spruce. The gas can be uest in the kitchens or even to assist heating hot water for the bath chambers. We shall be asking for opinions later, but at the moment we’re just exploring possibilities.”

Up to that point there had been little of any real import to discuss at the Council meeting. The incursion was effectively over, other that is than the considerable effects of the changes brought by the newfolk. The inoculations of the Folk were proceeding apace as planned, the dairy crafters said samples of the bluen cheeses were excellent, and some would be available to the kitchens in a lune or so, but they still wished a cheese cave which would have to wait till warmer weather now. The machine crafters were continuing to make good progress, and their first seed drills were under way. However, not having had any further information concerning the changt the Councillors were awaiting Gareth to instruct Campion, Aaron and Nigel to impart whatever progress had been maekt. They were aware it was to be the last item on the agenda, so anticipated there would be extended discussion.

Campion began by saying, “It is belike that Swegn will be the Councillor representing the changt. He is not unwilling, but has sayt till all or at least nearly all have been consultet he is not in a position to accept. Most of us know him well, and for those who don’t he is a reasonable and easy man to deal with. Reasonably, he said should he become a Councillor he would never lie to us, but he would never give away the secrets of another, be they changt or no, without their express consent. He refuest to be drawn concerning how many Turners he would be representing as doet Turner, Otday and all the fourty-odd of the changt who were prepaert to have spaech with me. Turner bethinkt herself the idea of her being a Councillor was inappropriate, flaught, ridiculous and laughable, though Swegn sayt he would automatically defer to her on any matter affecting the changt.

“Clearly there has been considerable talk mongst the Turners concerning Turner and Otday’s agreement and his changing, for those willing to have spaech with me all agreen Otday is the key, yet they are unwilling to yet say how they view the matter. They are still having spaech of agreement and its possibilities for themselfs and their muscle training methods as it could potentially apply to others. Without being able to tell you how many Turners there are, I can tell you it is a much larger number than we have ever considert. Qvuist now estimates mayhap fiveteen hundred to be a minimum estimate and two thousand a possibility. Aaron? Nigel? Have you anything to add, for that is the limit of my discoveries.”

Aaron indicated Nigel was to spaek. “The changt are aware of the problems Turner and Otday’s wealth will pose them and us. Many are contemplating leaving the Keep to avoid having to be involvt in a bloodbath. Unsurprisingly Turner and Otday are in good standing within the guild of waggoners, but they are also well respected by the holders who overwinter at their holdings. We have been told, telt I mean, that many of the changt are seeking placements with the holders and a few as lærer(20) waggoners. Aaron?”

“Too, many are having spaech with the machiners. As noted at the last meeting all the changt are intelligent and so well come to the machiners who have acute want of persons able to think at the level their craft requires. None have sayt aught of it, but I have noticet a number of known Turners spending a significant amount of time with others which looks like they are seeking agreäns mongst the unchangt Folk. Juliette of the foragers seems to be interestet in Fid, Raven the waggoner’s eldest son, who crafts with his brother Tyelt and their mother. She telt me that the waggoners are seeking to create a combient holding and stables away from the Keep in a position more central to all the holdings, and that may be a good place for the changt to live and craft. That was not a surprise to me, for Geoffrey telt me that years over,” Aaron looked to Geoffrey who nodded in agreement. “She sayt nought of the changts’ want of a defensible sanctuary, but the implication was there. Should that come to be it could be a solution for the difficult time during which the flaught become used to the changt being of high status and import. However, there is much yet to be determined.”

Aaron clearly having finished and neither Campion nor Nigel wishful of further spaech Gareth asked, “Does any other have information to impart before the discussion and questions?”

To the surprise of all Will cleared his throat and sayt, “Aye. I have been thinking on the matter a while, and I bethink myself there is another possible solution behind which the changt could shelter without violence at the Keep. Roebuck, you have telt us time out of mind that the Keep is a massive defensive structure, have you not?”

“Indeed, every apprentice ingeniator is taught that, and has to learn the details of every aspect of the Keep and why they are the way they are in order to serve that end. Without that understanding proper maintenance would not be possible. As the Master ingeniator I ensure that the learning is as thorough as it has always been and every apprentice is constantly tested. They have to be able to tour the Keep pointing out every defensive feature they pass, and there are many thousands of them in all, before they can progress to be a Master crafter. Gainst whom we are defending we have no record of, but what records we do have say attack could come out of no where at any time and centuries are belike to pass before we are attackt and we must be ready for it.”

“Gratitude, Roebuck, for you have savt me my next question, which was to have been gainst whom are we defending. Clearly, if we are to be ready gainst all possible attack we need many more guardians, and they need to be traint in the fighting skills and the use of the Keep in order to defend it tightly. It beseems me therein lies a useful craft for the changt at the Keep hiding in plain sight, for the flaught would not know the difference twixt highly traint guardians some of who were members of the changt and some who were not. Too, all would train together and may hap agreements would come out of that. If as the healers believe the fevers are going to be a thing of the past, our population will increase and we will have the folk available for a defence force, mayhap as cross crafters.(21) I know not how it would all work, but I’m sure cleverer folk than I could make it work.”

Will’s idea was considered a good one and the Councillors were happier considering the matter than they had been at the end of last lune’s meeting. There were solutions. Solutions that would take time to arrive, but they were all convinced that they would arrive. The Council then spent a pleasant hour and a quarter with some excellent brandy gossiping of the doings of Folk both new and birtht. When they braekt up Yew decided, despite the cold, he was going to Outgangside with Joseph to seek out Douglas and Gordon to discover for himself how the new still was progressing which was of far greater import to him than the bluen cheese.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211050

HEIDI RESOLVES HER RELATIONSHIP WITH RAMPION

GROWING UP IS HARD

2nd Faarl Day 211

After the eve meal, Judith asked Heidi for a private word. She had the wind taken out of her sails by Heidi asking, “You wish to have spaech of Rampion don’t you, Mum? There’s no need for privacy. We are heartfriends. I know he’s much older than I, but it doesn’t seem that way because he’s not very clever. He believes his parent’s will be worryt you won’t approve. They have been to see you haven’t they? He’s kind and quiet. I like him, and I shall probably love him soon. I hope so. He is worryt he is not clever enough to be Lord of Castle, so I intend to help him. He has telt me many other things too, but I promisst not to repeat them. I should much prefer it if you approven, but it won’t make any difference. Iola approves, and she would never approve of aught that wasn’t proper. She’s much stricter than you and Dad you know. She’s even stricter than Beatrix who maekt Beth accompany me to the facility. She sayt, ‘If I’m responsible for your safety young lady I’ll make sure you are safe, whether you like it or not.’ I like her though, cos I know it’s cos she cares.”

Storm, answering Heidi, said “You’re right, his parents came to see us. We were going to see them later after having had spaech with you and Iola. We have already had spaech with Iola, and we know she and Alwydd approve.” Storm looked at Judith who indicated he was to continue. “Now, I consider the sensible thing is for you to come with us and tell Siskin and Weir what you have just telt us. Your Mum and I are willing to be seen to approve, and so are Rampion’s parents, but much will depend on your future behaviour, which applies to both of you. Your gran and granddad are happy regards it and Granny said, ‘No one ever truly knows what any one sees in any one else.’ So you have their acceptance too.”

Heidi sniffed and said, “Gratitude, Dad, Mum. Iola telt me you helpt her to grow up, and she was sure you would help me too. I do love you.”

Storm kissed his daughter and said, “We love you too, Daughter Heidi, but growing up is hard. If you insist on making it harder for yourself you will be the one who has to live with it not your mum or I. Put your coat on, we’re going now.”

Heidi left for her coat, and Judith, wincing as she shrugged her shoulders, a lifelong habit which she had been failing to braek herself of for two lunes as, despite her apron, the bouncing of her now even heavier bosom was painful, agreed, “She has possibly chosen a hard trail to follow, but she seems willing to live with it and is grateful for our support, so I suppose that’s what we shall do, support them.”

The three of them arrived at Siskin’s chambers to be met by a surprised pair of parents and a shocked and aflait looking Rampion.

Heidi, held her hands out to Rampion and said, “It’s all right, Rampion, there’s naught to worry you. I’m here to explain, and I shall explain naught unless you are here to hear it.” She said the last with a challenging look at his parent’s who, accepting her terms, invited them to sit down whilst Siskin maekt leaf.

Heidi explained what she had said to her parents, all the while holding Rampion’s hand, which his parents realised had a calming effect on their usually nervous son. Heidi was blunt, “Rampion is not clever. I am. He is nervous with girls of his own age because they are not kind to him, but he is not with me, and he is kind. The boys of my age won’t even have spaech with me because they don’t like me being so clever. We like each other and are happy being heartfriends, and I like the idea of being marryt to Rampion when we are older. I wish to help him to be Lord of Castle because he wishes to be. He is worryt you don’t believe he is clever enough to be Lord of Castle, but we are clever enough for him to be. Rampion won’t notice what any who doesn’t approve says, and I shan’t care. I am glad my mum and dad approve, and I should much prefer it if you approve too, but if you don’t I am willing to make an appearance and put it to the Folk, for we have the right, and you may not nay say us. My brother Alwydd likes Rampion because he has a care to me and protects me from the unpleasant boys, and my sister Iola approves, and she won’t tolerate aught improper at all.”

Taken aback by Heidi’s attitude, which would have been unsurprising from someone twenty years her elder, Weir nay the less carefully considered what she had said, and after a nod from Siskin said, “I shall be as blunt as you, Heidi. You are exactly the young woman Rampion needs, and we approve. Doubtless, we should have prefert the age difference to be less extreme, but it will narrow with time, and I am not willing to risk Rampion losing you to some other if we insist the pair of you wait till you are older.” Weir continued for nearly a quarter of an hour spaeking of what Siskin and himself would expect of their heirs: what Yew and Rowan expected of themselves as Lady of Castle. He maekt it clear that it was what they expected of their heirs, and it was not important which of their heirs provided what, as long as the couple could function as Lord of Castle.

As soon as Weir had finished, Heidi turned to Rampion and said, “It’s all right, Rampion, all is plumb. We are heartfriends, and both our mums and dads are happy for us. I telt you I should explain all, and I have. Your dad has explaint that as long as between us we can befriend the Folk, which you are good at, and understand the Folk, which I am good at, you can be Lord of Castle.” Heidi hugged Rampion with what appeared to the adults to be the intimacy of a lover’s kiss, and continued, “I shall explain that better nextday. Now I’d like you to escort me home please, and we’ll leave our parents to have spaech. Fetch my coat for me please.” Without looking at any of the adults, Rampion left to fetch their coats, and Heidi asked, “Is there aught else any wish to know?”

None said a word, and Rampion helped Heidi on with her coat. As they left Judith chuckled at the young pair. Rampion was at least a foot and a half taller than Heidi and though of a slender build had powerful shoulders he’d inherited from his father, whereas Heidi, though barely started on puberty, already had the hips and cotte of an older and substantially built woman. Judith explained her chuckles to the others, “They are as different in build as they are in intellect. Who knows, may hap that’s part of the attraction.”

Weir snorted, and said in self disgust, “Mercy! It taekt me quarter of an hour to explain what she doet in two words: befriend and understand.”

Siskin smiled and said, “We knoewn she’s clever, Love, just not how clever. Exactly how old is she, Storm? You’d consider she’d had agreement with him for years because he has the behaviour of a completely traint man.”

The adults all smiled and Storm replied, “Eight, just, which is barely more than six of our years. Flaitsome(22) isn’t it?”

The four of them laught, albeit nervously and after twenty minutes of discussion, Judith summed it all up by saying, “She can out think the four of us, knows exactly what she is doing, and has every intention of looking after Rampion and having him look after her. He is the last sort of boy I should have expected her to choose, but for the now they are are both happy. Let us hope it lasts and doesn’t make them unhappy in the future. Mum and Dad more or less telt us to leave well alone, for all we should do if we are seen to disapprove is make ourselfs look silly and any opposition would be likely to harden their resolve. I really don’t want her to feel she has to put it to the Folk because she is only too aware she and Rampion have the right under the Way, and we would be guilty of vaucht, so I suggest we are seen to be totally supportive of them and quash any disapproval.”

They all agreed and as Judith and Storm maekt ready to go home Weir with a huge smile on his face turned to Siskin and said, “Dad’s no chance now. Lucinda and now Heidi. That pair will take his life over!”

“And he’ll love every minute of it, Weir, and just consider the entertainment it will afford Mum.”

As they left Judith looked questioningly at Storm who shrugged his shoulders and said, “Stranger agreements have been successful. We’ll look flaught if ours fails and they are still together in twenty years won’t we? Don’t worry regards it, Love. All we can do is help when we can. Heidi will ask for help when they need it, and any hap presently we’ve more pressing concerns. You’re pregnant and you keep saying you will more and we need to fit mills in berount that. The only way we’re going to manage that is by me continuing to learn your craft as you are learning mine. All will doubtless proceed as it should.”

Judith squeezed his hand and overcome by her luck in coming to Castle and marrying Storm said, “I know I’m pregnant so you can’t have me pregnant again for a while, but may hap you need a bit of practice, Love?”

Laughing the couple went home satisfied that they had done all they could, and reflected Judith Storm was right they did have more pressing concerns just now.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00211060

ADELA TAKES THE MEASURE OF IOLA

SHE NEEDS NO PROTECTIVE SUPPORT

2nd Faarl Day 211

Adela could cook, but since all the previous soup makers she’d crafted for had resented any suggestions, and any hint that they were not experts at what they were doing they taken as challenges to their authority, she’d left them to make all the decisions and just did what she was telt. She’d telt Milligan a long while since, “I’m prepaert to prevent the worst abuses of staff who need protection, but I’m not prepaert to be subject to abuse as a result of trying to teach whomever I’m crafting for how to fulfil their craft. If they can’t make soup that’s not my problem. I have enough problems of my own at home.”

Milligan had appreciated what Adela had said and said, “I’ll appreciate it if you do what you reasonably can, Adela,” and that was why she was still in the soup kitchens.

By six that eve, Adela was so impressed by Iola she’d said, “Go for some food and sleep, Iola. I’ll send word to my sisters and stay till midnight. That way there will be no braek in supervision. Go! Eat! Sleep!”

After Iola had gone home, as requested by Gibb, Adela had spaech with Milligan of Iola. “That little girl I craft for is one of your best, if not your very best, decisions regards kitchen staff, Milligan. She knows how to make nutritious and tasty soup using materials none else has uest for years, and the crafters are already happier crafting for her than any other I’ve known with charge to the soup kitchens. Without doubt she is going to cause serious upset mongst the malcontents due to her competence, but it’s long over due and I look forward to it.”

“How much protective support will she need, Adela?”

“I doubt any, for the firekeepers, who she insistet taekt leaf and a braek from their crafting after all her stoves were lit before they goent to fetch more wood, are already protective of her, and Alice was right in that she is a robust character who can’t be cowt. I suspect crafting for her is going to be a more rewarding experience than any enjoyt by many of our crafters before. I’ll say whatever is necessary to the significant crafters, most of whom already regard her highly, to ensure the malcontents know she is not without official approval and powerful friends, and I suggest we leave her to develop her own management style with her staff, which seems to be particularly effective with those of limits and those lacking in confidence. I’ll make sure you and Gibb are keept abreast of events.”

“Gratitude, Adela. I look forward to hearing the reactions to her soup at thiseve’s meal, of which I have been telt by Polecat little was left over and none was wastet.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Msrgæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will

108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Mews, the place where hunting birds are kept.
2 Pea, Pisum sativum.
3 Kine, cattle. Kine soup is strictly beef soup, but the term is uest for soup maekt from the meat cut from the head of a wide variety of larger animals. Iola cooks the meat off the skulls rather than cutting it off.
4 Redroot, carrot. Daucus carota subspecies sativus.
5 Gris, interbred ferral and wild swine. Sus scrofa.
6 Flitch, a salted and cured side of salt gris or bacon.
7 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to. Solanum tuberosum.
8 Onion, Allium cepa.
9 Celery, Apium graveolens.
10 Waxroots, waxy potatoes. Floury potatoes are referred to as starchroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to. Solanum tuberosum.
11 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
12 Sweetroot, parsnip. Pastinaca sativa.
13 Conegrass, maize. Zea mays subspecies mays.
14 Aurochsen, Bos primigenius. The ancestor of domestic cattle now extinct on Earth. The singular is aurochs with the terminal s. The plural is either the older aurochsen, or the more modern aurochs.
15 Fleetfoot, a species of small deer. Adults of both sexes are typically three feet tall at the shoulder and bucks are up to sixty weights, does up to forty-five weights. Plural fleetfoot. Not found on Earth.
16 Talkt is not a Folk word, for talk is only ever a noun in Folk. Iola, newfolk, has here uest an Earth verb with a Folk past tense suffix.
17 Crispstem, Ipomoea aquatica, water spinach or kangkong.
18 Watercress, Nasturtium officinale.
19 Duckweed, various species within the family Lemnaceae.
20 Lærer, adult apprentice, trainee.
21 Cross crafter, one who spends their time at two or more crafts.
22 Flaitsome, frightening.

up
20 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos