Grease Monkey Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Charlene watches as the plumber works on removing the old water heater. She had gotten up early to prepare a lunch for Tonya to take to school with her. She called Henry and informed him she wouldn’t be coming in for a few hours. Since she had a contract with Alpha Plumbing. She called them to come in and replace her water heater.

Henry told her to take the rest of the day off. He knew she didn’t want to, but she decided to listen to his advice.

“Are you sure there isn’t anything I can get you, sir?”

“I’m fine, ma’am.” Billy was told by his boss to treat this young girl with a lot of respect and to do his best to replace her water heater.

Charlene figured since she was going to be stuck at home today. She would do her Saturday morning cleaning routine now instead of on Saturday. She turns on her father’s old stereo system and plays one of his old vinyl records. She never knew why her father kept these records.

She listens to the stereo while she dusts the different rooms. She also grabs Tonya’s dirty clothes and separates them into different piles. She adds her clothes into the different piles as well.

After about three hours, Billy finishes replacing the water heater. He tested the system, making sure there weren’t any leaks and that she had good pressure.

“Everything is ready to go, Mrs. Easton.” Billy looks at the young teenage girl.

“Thanks. How much do I owe you?” Charlene looks at Billy.

“That’s not my department. Gloria from accounting will send you the bill. I just need your signature here saying I completed the work.” Billy hands
the work order over to Charlene to sign.

Charlene accepts the work order and signs it. She made sure to look everything over before she signed it. Charlene hands the workorder back to Billy.

“Thanks for everything.” Charlene was thankful for Alpha plumbing showing up as quickly as they did.

“Any time.” Billy gathers his tools and supplies and leaves the house.

Charlene watches him as he leaves. Once he pulls out of the driveway. She waited the appreciated time he recommended to let the water in the water heater warm up before starting a load of laundry. She gets a load of laundry going while the clothes are washing.

While the laundry is going, Charlene sends a text to Henry, letting him know the plumber has left. She doesn’t expect an immediate response from him. She knows he usually is out in the garage itself, working on a car or assigning work.

Charlene fixes herself some lunch. After lunch, she separates the laundry and folds everything. Typically, around this time, she would be wrapping up yesterday’s work orders.

After she finishes with the laundry. She starts making Mexican stew. She figures by the time Tonya gets home and completes her homework. It should be done cooking in the crock pot.

Once Tonya arrives home from school. She sits down at the dining room table and works on her homework.

Charlene helps Tonya with any problems she has while doing her homework. After helping Tonya with her homework, she checks the crockpot and starts setting the table. After dinner, Tonya helps Charlene with cleaning the kitchen. Afterward, Tonya gets ready for bed and is allowed to watch television for a little while.

The next day, when Charlene shows up for work. She has a lot of paperwork in her box on her desk. Some of it looks like it has already been done, but there was still a lot more left to do.

She sits down on her desk chair and starts working. When Henry walks into the office, she waves to him. She was concentrating on getting everything done.

Henry spots Charlene working on the paperwork that was in her inbox. He also noticed she brought in two boxes of donuts.

“How did the repairs go?” Henry knew what a damage water heater can do.

Charlene looks up from what she was doing “the guy Alpha Plumbing sent over, did a good job.”

Charlene enjoyed a nice hot soak after dinner.

“Did he say how much everything was going to cost?” Henry was curious about what the job coasted Charlene.

“No, not yet. The plumber said they will bill me.”

“Let me know what the cost is. I know what the repair should be.” Henry has an uncle that is a plumber and can always check the cost.

“I will. So, did I miss anything yesterday?” Charlene looks at Henry.

“Nope, we stayed busy all day long. That’s why you have so much paperwork to do.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” Henry grabs another doughnut and walks out into the garage.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Paper work

Samantha Heart's picture

Nessessary evil to keep track of everything, but it's still a pain. Especially for Charlie when she has to take a day off none of it gets done & is 2 days behind. The day she missed & that days paperwork. I'm sure it sicks

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Staying busy

Is usually a good thing.

Paperwork can be good

if it is for the right reasons, like staying busy.