It's A Cruel World Part 8

Printer-friendly version

The following two weeks for Katelyn are difficult between working for Xe Security and attending college. She transferred to night classes so she could balance the two. On top of that, she was still doing her political cartoons as well.

The people she is working with at Xe Security are friendly. Sure, some of them have attitudes and are snobs. Especially the woman named Brenda. Brenda was a bitch towards her and made sure to remind Katelyn/Joann that she was the head bitch around there.

The holidays were approaching, and the office would be closed. She would have the day off since she was a receptionist/mail clerk. She managed to find a cheap red Toyota Prius for sale. She registered it in her undercover name.

Access to specific files was still restricted to her, but she was learning who had access to them. Katelyn found out that three others were at her site besides the person who interviewed her. The chief operations officer, Tim Williams. The liaison officer, Bob Flecther, and the office manager, Craig Gunn. The fourth person who had access but was never around at the office was a fellow named Nichola Blanchard. According to the rumors she has been hearing. He handles special assignments and is normally out of the office.

“So, what are your plans for Thanksgiving?” Freddie looks at Katelyn as she cooks dinner.

“I was thinking about staying here for Thanksgiving, given my relationship with my aunt and uncle.” Katelyn knew her aunt and uncle disapproved of what she did.

“Well, you know Clair and Cindy might have to work. As for Barbara, I don’t think she is doing anything special.”

“Well, I’ll ask her when she comes home tonight.” Katelyn finishes searing the meat and puts it in the oven to cook.

Freddie watches as Katelyn cooks dinner. Sometimes, he helps her by peeling or cutting up whatever she needs.

“Honey, we’re home.” Clair comes walking into the kitchen.

Behind was Cindy, and she looked tired. Cindy sits down on one of the stools in the kitchen.

“Rough day?” Katelyn noticed the look on Cindy’s face.

“Yes.”

“How about you, Clair?” Freddie looks towards Clair as she walks over to the refrigerator to grab a wine cooler.

“Not as rough as Cindy’s day. The floor I was working on was slow. Cindy’s floor was busy.” Clair heard about the troubles they had on Cindy’s floor. One of the patients on that floor had to be restrained.

“Hey, do you ladies know what your schedule will be like for Thanksgiving?” Katelyn looks at her roomies.

“I’m working the afternoon shift.” Clair already knew what her schedule was.

“Same here. I volunteered to switch with one of my co-workers.” Cindy had the morning shift, but one of the ladies wanted to spend Thanksgiving with her family.

“That’s fine. I can get up early and cook everything. That way, we can still do Thanksgiving, and you can take some to work with you.” Katelyn didn’t mind.

“Hey, you’re not cooking by yourself. We’ll help out.” Clair looks towards Katelyn.

“Thanks.” Katelyn will be thankful for the extra help.

“So, how is your investigation going?” Clair and Cindy knew Katelyn was investigating a person who ended up dead after complaining about two guards from Xe Security and the congressperson.

“Slow, I must be careful about what I am doing.”

“It would be bad if you got caught. So, why are you serious about looking into Xe Security?” Cindy was curious about what Katelyn was doing.

“Because something fishy is going on between two of their guards and the congressperson.”

“Do you know what?” Cindy takes a sip from her wine cooler.

“Nope, I don’t have a clue. However, my interaction between the guards and the congressman has my hair on end.”

“Is being a reporter important to you? I thought you enjoy drawing political cartoons and such?” Freddie looks at Katelyn.

“Yes, it's important. Yes, my cartoons are essential in my fight against these close-minded, homophobic congressmen and senators. However, I
also want to punish them for what I find out about what they are doing.”

“I can’t say I don’t blame you. This country is heading towards a civil war, thanks to what is being done. First, they take away the rights of women to have abortions, then they start going after transgender students saying that the treatments are taking away their childhood, which is a bunch of crap. It’s like these people want to live in a third-world nation. And finally, you have politicians trying to undermine what the Constitution says about people causing an insurrection. Are they so hungry for power that they are willing to burn this country?”

“You know how it is. This is how Hitler started, and look where it led him. People who want our country to go to an authoritarian style of government aren’t thinking straight. I like my freedom and don’t want to lose it.” Katelyn knew if things kept going the way they were.

The United States might become an authoritarian government. The people in power need to be removed and replaced. The voters need to pull
their heads out of their asses and get rid of these people.

“Politics has never been my thing, but I agree with you, Katelyn.” Clair saw what might happen.

“Let’s talk about something else, ladies.” Freddie knew Katelyn felt strongly about certain subjects.

“Yeah, I guess you are right, Freddie. So, what do we want to have at Thanksgiving?” Katelyn looks at Cindy and Clair. She knew Freddie would
eat whatever was put in front of him.

“Here, let me write everything down, and we can go shopping on Friday.” Cindy grabs a pad and pencil to write everything down.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos