On the Highway Chap. 3

Printer-friendly version

Cafeteria Secret Research Facilities:
Jochen watches as Sidney pack away two cheeseburgers, a chicken sandwich, and a large order of seasoned french fries. He knew she spent four hours with Dr. Yung as she performed a physical and psychological test on her. According to what Dr. Yung found out about Sidney, she was in perfect health. There was nothing physically wrong with her body.

As for what the silver square he found on the back of Sidney was. It was the same items that had been inside the shuttle he brought back from Death Valley. According to what Dr. Yung told him, a person could permanently change their physical appearance to the shape programmed into the square.

Dr. Yung figures that whatever caused Sidney to forget who she was or use to be had to happen before she was changed. That was the only explanation as to why Sidney couldn’t remember who she was original.

“Hey, slow down and enjoy the food.”

Sidney slows down and blushes from Jochen’s comment. She couldn’t help herself. She was feeling hungry after all the tests Dr. Yung and her staff gave her.

Dr. Yung gave her a plain pink jumpsuit and a pair of pink tennis shoes to wear. A biochip had been implanted in her as well. Dr. Yung informed her that it would allow her to monitor her and allow her to move around the base. It would only let her access rooms she had clearance for.

“Sorry, Jochen.” Sidney takes a bite out of her chicken sandwich.

“It’s okay. I just don’t want to see you choke on your food. No one is going to take it away from you.”

“I know, I just feel so hungry and I don’t know why.” Sidney finishes her chicken sandwich.

“Well, you are a teenager and I bet you used up a lot of energy from the test Dr. Yung gave you.” Jochen takes a sip of his sweet tea.

“Are we staying here tonight or heading back out on the road?” Sidney looks at Jochen for an answer.

“It all depends on Gears. If he is done with Matilda’s checkup and has put her back together. We can leave tonight. If not, it will be tomorrow morning. Is there any place, in particular, you want me to drop you?”

“I don’t have anywhere to be and I was hoping you would let me travel with you?” Sidney looks at Jochen with puppy dog eyes and a quivering lip.

Jochen just shakes his head at her pouty look. He didn’t have a problem with her traveling with him.

“You can travel with me, but I have a few rules you’ll have to follow. Since you appear to be a teenager, that means I’m responsible for anything you do. So, you’ll need to be on your best behavior. Secondly, you can’t tell anyone anything about Matilda and her special abilities.
You also can’t mention this base location to anyone either. Thirdly, Dr. Yung thinks your memory loss is due to some trauma you had before being changed into what you currently are.”

“What do you mean, by changed into what I am?” Sidney was confused by that statement.

“Didn’t Dr. Yung explain this to you?” Jochen figured she would have told Sidney she hasn’t always been who she is.

“No, she just showed me what to do when my period starts. She said I was nearing the start of it.”

Jochen almost choked on his drink. He forgot all about girls and their monthly gifts. When he takes Sidney shopping for clothes, he’ll have to remember to get her physical hygiene items as well.

Sidney noticed Jochen almost choke on his drink. A smirk appears on her face. She thought it was funny.

Jochen recovers from almost choking on his drink. He looks at Sidney and saw she had a smirk on her face.

“We’ll discuss the rest of the rules later.”

“Okay.”

After dinner, Jochen and Sidney head down to the motor pool to check on Matilda and to see how long they were going to be staying. As they
walk into the bay, they notice at least two other trucks were parked.

“Who do those rigs belong to?” Sidney stops to look at the first one.

It had a futuristic design to it and look like it was more streamlined than Matilda or the next one parked next to it. It had a huge front windshield and look like it could make tighter turns.

“That is Snowflake and is still under development. She’ll be assigned to Brown Betty. The one next to her belongs to The Texan. He’s a 1977 Kenworth and is one of the oldest trucks in the fleet.”

“How many other trucks belong to the fleet?” Sidney was curious.

“Don’t know. I just know the truck drivers stationed here.” Jochen knew the people who hired him kept certain things secret.

“So, how many are there?” Sidney was curious.

“Sidney, that is something I can’t tell you.”

Sidney seemed a little disappointed, but she agreed to Jochen’s rules. They walk over to where Matilda was parked and every access panel and such were opened on her.

“GEARS!” Jochen couldn’t believe his poor truck was exposed like she was.

“What?” Gears come sliding out from underneath Matilda.

“Why do you have my poor girl exposed like this?” Jochen waves his hand towards Matilda.

“I’m running diagnostics on all her special functions and checking her main computer out. You have been a little hard on her.” Gears pick up his tablet and bring up what the system told him was wrong.

“We’ve been doing a lot of hauling and carrying a lot of special deliveries.”

“Well, I have to replace some units in her and recalibrate her defense systems. Also, you're running richer than normal and I need to find out what is causing that.” Gears look towards Sidney and Jochen.

“So, how long am I stuck here?” Jochen preferred to be out on the highway.

“Give me two days to get the old lady back into tip-top shape.” Gears figures that should be long enough.

“Fine, do what you need to do. I swear she was better off without all this special gear.” Jochen now wishes she had stayed normal.

“Oh, you know you love all her special technology.” Gears just smile as he goes back to work.

Jochen turns around and leads Sidney back to the normal elevator. Once they are in it “let’s go and do some shopping for you.”

“What here?” Sidney didn’t know there was a shopping center or store in the base.

“No, in town. I’ll borrow a car and take you shopping.”

Once the elevator reaches the top floor. Jochen leads Sidney to a building away from the silo.

“So, what do you think of everything, Sidney?”

“It’s okay, I guess. Why is it out in the middle of nowhere?” Sidney didn’t see anything else around, except trees and open fields.

“That is something I can’t tell you.” Jochen sort of knew, but he didn’t know how to explain it to Sidney.

They managed to get a car from the building they were heading to. Sidney buckles herself in and wonders what she should get.

“Let’s go and get you some clothes, Sidney.” Jochen puts the car in gear and drives off.

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I forgot about this story.

WillowD's picture

It's one of Lady Dragon's that I particularly like. The bit about the upcoming monthly visitor was particularly funny.