On the Highway Chap. 10

Printer-friendly version

Bart walks up to the cab of the eighteen-wheeler. He spotted that the driver was on the right-hand side of the truck. Which was a first for him, because he has never seen a right-hand drive eighteen-wheeler before.

Jochen saw a person walking towards his door. The person looked like he spent time outside and was dressed like a cowboy. He waits until the person stops by his door. He rolls Matilda’s window down.

“Can I help you?” Jochen looks at the gentleman.

“I was going to ask you the same question. I’m Bart Hardy and I was making sure you were alright.” Bart noticed that the person had an Aussie, accent.

“Yeah, we’re alright, mate. Do you know who those drones belong to?” Jochen was curious about who sent them.

“They don’t belong to me. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you transporting? That might explain why someone came after you.” Bart figures the attack might have something to do with the cargo that was being transported.

“Just medical supplies. Nothing really important.” Jochen couldn’t go into detail about what he was transporting with this person.

“So, you have no idea who would try to steal your cargo?” Bart knew medical supplies, depending on what it was. Could go for big money.

“None. By the way, were you responsible for the second drone being destroyed?” Jochen knew Matilda didn’t destroy it.

“Yes, I was.”

“Well, whatever you used to destroy it, was impressive.” Jochen wonders what this Bart Hardy used.

“Thanks. It looks like your trailer took some damage.” Bart noticed it on his way towards the cab.

“I better see how bad it is.” Jochen opens the door and climbs down out of the cab.

Sidney watches as Jochen opens the door and climbs down. She spotted the guy Jochen was talking to waiting for him. She heard his name and wonder what he did and who he was.

She watches as the driver's door shuts. She knew once the door was shut, Matilda’s security engaged. She taps the front windshield and turns the rear cameras on. This way, she could see what Jochen and the other guy were doing.

Sidney watches them as they inspect the rear end of the trailer. She doesn’t know if Matilda has mics in the rear or on the trailer. She just watches them.

Caroline and the girls watch as Bart and the driver of the eighteen-wheeler inspect the rear tires of the trailer. From what Caroline could see, there was a lot of damage to the rear end of the trailer.

“I wonder what dad and the driver are talking about.” Julie was curious about what her father and the driver were saying to each other.

Caroline just smiles. She knew how inquisitive Julie was.

“Your father is just being helpful.” Caroline knew how Bart was.

Bart and Jochen examine the damage done to the rear end of the trailer. It was going to take a lot of work to fix it.

“Looks like, this rear end is going to need a lot of work.” Bart looks at Jochen when he says that.

“I agree. There’s no way I can continue to my destination with this damage, even if the tires are replaced.” Jochen takes his cellphone out.

“Let me tell my wife and kids that were going to be here for a while.” Bart turns to leave.

“Wait. The company I work for is sending a team out. I’ll be okay until they get here.”

“Alright, if you need anything, just call me.” Bart hands a business card to Jochen.

“Thanks, I will.” Jochen accepts the card.

Bart walks back to his SUV and gets in.

“Is everything going to be okay?” Caroline looks at her husband.

“Not really. The rear end on that trailer is going to need to be replaced.” Bart looks at his wife.

“Are we going to stick around, daddy?” Julie looks at her father.

“Yes, until someone from his company shows up.” Bart figures it might be a good idea to watch out for more of those drones.

Jochen makes a phone call to the company dispatch and informed them about the damage. He’s informed that a repair truck has been dispatched and they will make temporary repairs until they can transfer the cargo to another trailer. Jochen climbs back into the cab. He notices Sidney had the rear cameras on.

“Are we going to be here, for a while?” Sidney looks at Jochen.

“Unfortunately, yes. The trailer is too damaged to move right now.” Jochen hopes the repair team can get them going.

An hour later, several repair trucks from Oliver transportation show up. Sidney watches as Jochen gets out of the truck and talks with the guys. She pulls her tablet out and watches a movie as the guys work on the rear end.

Bart and his family leave, once he was sure about Jochen and his cargo. Julie waves goodbye as they drive by.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

And???

Seems rather brief.

If only they knew

Samantha Heart's picture

That Bart works for Anika & Jack Bounty then he could tell him EVERYTHING.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

No, he couldn't

Bart may have high-level clearances but he doesn't have the need to know. Nor is he part of the command structure.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive