No Child Should Be Mistreated Chp. 14

Printer-friendly version

Chris was tired by the time she and Detective Hardcastle left the store. Her co-worker had left earlier since they weren’t of any help. They hadn’t noticed the robber coming into the store, because they were too busy socializing on their cellphone.

Detective Hardcastle looks over towards Chris as he drove her home. He put her bicycle in the trunk of his car.

“How are you feeling, Chris?”

“I’m still freaked out.” Chris didn’t know how she should feel after what happened.

“Well, you’ll be safe at my place. I have a feeling there is more going on and your life might be in danger.” Something about that robbery didn’t feel right to him.

“Why would anyone want to kill me?” Chris looks at Detective Hardcastle with a puzzled look on her face.

“That is the million-dollar question. Who would benefit from your death?”

“I guess my stepmother would. My father would have taken a life insurance policy out on me and my stepmother.” Chris knew her father would make sure she was taken care of. Ever since his death, her stepmother has been treating her like a housemaid.

“How have things been between you and your stepmother? Are you two getting along?” Detective Hardcastle already knew the answer to that question.

“To be honest with you, Detective. I, my stepmother and brother don’t get along at all.” Chris couldn’t count how many times her stepbrother has abused her.

That’s not counting what he and his friends did to her just a few days ago. She still had the marks on her body from what they did to her.

“We’ll go by your place so you can get a change of clothes and your schoolbooks. Then, I’ll take you back to my place, where you’ll be safe.”

“Thank you, Detective.”

“Turn here, Detective.” Chris points to an overgrown path her father used when he brought lumber to the workshop.

“Okay.” Detective Hardcastle follows the path to a 10x20 storage shed.

Chris waits until Detective Hardcastle comes to a stop, before getting out. She walks to the storage shed and takes her key out and unlocks the place. She could hear Detective Hardcastle following behind her.

“Is this where you are living?” Detective Hardcastle looks at the place as he walks into the place.

“Yes, my stepmother put me out here, after she caught me stealing money from my stepbrother. She figured I didn’t deserve to live in the main house.”

The place looked like it had been set up to do woodwork. There were all sorts of tools and machinery in the place.

“Was your father a woodworker?”

“It was his hobby. He loved building cabinets, furniture and restoring old antiques. He was talented at it. He talked about quitting his full-time
job, to take up making and fixing furniture full time.” Chris knew how happy her father was working with wood.

Chris goes about packing an overnight bag with what little clothes she had. She makes sure she has everything she needed for school as well. Chris takes her favorite teddy bear with her as well.

While Chris was packing her clothes and what she needed for school. Detective Hardcastle looks around the place. He noticed Chris had done some work to make the place livable. She had managed to make herself a camper-style shower.

She had a small kitchen setup, to cook some food. She had taken several milk crates to make cabinets to store canned food and such. He had to give Chris credit for making the place nice.

“I’m all done.” Chris looks towards Detective Hardcastle.

“Good. Does your stepmother ever come out here?” Detective Hardcastle walks over to help Chris with her bags.

They head back out to his vehicle and put her bags in the back seat. Once Chris was inside the car, Detective Hardcastle turns around and heads back the way they came. He spots Chris's stepmother’s car in the driveway.

“Seems your stepmother is home.”

“She won’t notice me gone.” Chris covers up a yawn.

“Maybe.” Hardcastle’s gut was telling him other wised.

Tik Tok’s Place:
Nora and Detective Hopkins show up together at a three-story brick building. The place used to be an old hardware store but was converted into a local food mart.

“Which floor is Tic Tok on?” Detective Hopkins has never been this close before.

“Third floor.” Nora notices that cameras have been added to the building.

“So, how do we get there?” Hopkins gets out of the car.

“Why, through the front door.” An evil smile appears on Nora’s face.

The two of them walk towards the front of the store. Nora gets some strange looks, because of the way she is dressed. Her black skintight bodysuit and gun holster stick out.

They walk through the front door towards the back of the place. People move out of their way until they come to an elevator. Standing on either side of the elevator entrance were two Latino males.

“Move or I’ll put you two in the hospital.” Nora looks at the two men.

The two men look at each other and open the elevator door. One sweeps his hand forward when the door opens.

“I guess he wants us to come up and see him.” Hopkins starts walking towards the elevator.

Nora follows behind him. She stands next to detective Hopkins as the elevator door closes.

“So far, so good.” Nora had a smile on her face.

“Maybe.” Hopkins was wondering why no one was stopping them.

After a few seconds, the elevator stops, and the door opens. Standing on the other side was a huge Latino guy.

“Give me your weapons.” He had his gun pointed at the two of them.

“I don’t think so.” Nora moves fast and strikes the guy directly on his chest, palm first.

Mateo goes flying backward from the palm strike to his chest. He didn’t expect the Spanish-looking woman to be so damn fast. Another guy moves towards Nora, but Hopkins intercepts him and knocks him out.

Nora pulls her gun with her uninjured arm and points it at the first guy. She looks at him “now where is Tik Tok?”

“I’m over here.” Tic Tok looks at Nora Midnight and the man with her.

“Good, because you know why I am here then?” Nora doesn’t put her gun away.

“I know and I’ll tell you what you want to know.” Tic Tok looks at Nora and knows if she wanted to, she could kill all his men.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Impressive

BarbieLee's picture

LadyDragon, I'm impressed with your ability to write and embed a story, in a story, in a story. You have multiple actors, actresses, and three different story lines going on in this tale. For most writers it's hard enough to work with one tale and add subplots to same. You have the subplots going but also different tales besides your main actress.
Fascinating writing talent LadyDragon
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

What BarbieLee said.

WillowD's picture

At least, I'm agreeing with what she said at the time I added this comment. There is always the possibility that BarbieLee will edit her comment to say all sorts of outrageous thing after I said I agree with her.

But, nah, BarbieLee wouldn't do anything like that. Would she?

I want to know

Samantha Heart's picture

Whats up with every one now lol

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Trash soon to be tossed

Jamie Lee's picture

Chris' luck may be turning now that Detective Hardcastle has taken an interest in her and he home situation. Stepmom may be on short time now because of the detective.

Nora sure hasn't lost any of her influence with those getting in her way. And because of that influence she has little trouble having the conversations she wants.

Others have feelings too.