Velvet Part 16

Printer-friendly version

It didn’t take us long to get ready. After I and Jack finish eating our breakfast we cleaned up the kitchen since Ajax made breakfast. Ajax went
and took another shower and got dress himself. By the time I got back to the room I was sleeping in and finish putting on my face and dressing into the clothes I had brought with me. When I stepped out of my room with my overnight bag in hand. Jack and Ajax were waiting for me.

“It’s about time Vicky. Karen just got here and she’s downstairs waiting for us.” Jack picks up his duffle bag and heads towards the door with Ajax in tow.

I stand in the middle of the room looking at everything before heading towards the door with the guys. They file out first and then I follow behind them closing the door and making sure it was locked. We head down the hallway that we came down last night and stop in front of the elevator.

“You know something, guys. I’m going to miss this place. It felt nice to sleep in a room like I had before I moved into my father’s house.” I shift my purse and overnight bag to the other hand.

“Don’t tell your husband that Vicky. I think Tom likes the place you guys have now.” As Ajax looks toward me.

When the elevator arrives at the floor, we’re waiting on, dings as it opens up. I step inside followed by Jack and then Ajax. Once all of us are inside. I press the ground floor button to take us to the underground parking garage area. When we arrive down in the parking lot, we head over toward Jack’s blazer. We see a towing truck hooking Jack’s truck up and a young woman with short black hair and dress in a pair of low cut faded blue jeans-wearing an oversize pink T-shirt with matching white and pink tennis shoes.

“Thanks, Gus. I owe you one for doing this for me.” The woman hands the slightly overweight tow truck driver a fifty-dollar bill from her pocket.

She turns around and notices me and my crew walking towards her.

“Well, Well. Isn’t it the three amigo’s” A smile appears on her face.

“Very funny Karen. I never permitted you to have my truck towed.” Jack looks at her.

“Oh! Come off it Jack. You know as well as I do that there was no way you were going to drive that blazer out of here. Besides, once I get finished with working on it. You're going to love driving it.” Karen gives Jack a warm and sassy smile.

“Okay, you two. Play nice.” I look at both of my friends.

I head over towards Karen’s Ford Expedition. I stop and look towards them.

“We got work to do today. ” I climb into the back seat.

Ajax takes the passenger seat next to Karen and Jack sits next to me in the back seat behind her. Once we’re all loaded in and seat belted up. Karen heads back towards my place by the same route I take every day when I come to work. There is another route you can take, but Karen is like me. Once I find a route I like driving, I normally stick to it. Besides, the ride is nice and quiet.

“So, who did you spend the night with last night, Karen?”

“No one. I fell asleep at my office while doing some paperwork.”

“Lair, I can smell the guy you slept with last night all over you, plus you smell like sex as well.” Ajax just looks at Karen.

Karen just looks towards Ajax with an angry look on her face. If looks could kill a Werewolf, Ajax would be dead right now.

I just look at both of them “can’t the two of you be nice to one another?”

Karen looks in the rearview mirror towards me and then back towards Ajax “If you must know who it was Mister fur face. It was the pilot of one of the private Learjet that is owned by the Exxon corporation. He had just arrived at the airport I was at and as luck would have it, he needed an experienced mechanic to look at the jet. Since I was already there finishing work on another plane. I told him I would take a look and see what the problem was. After I was done working on the plane, one thing leads to another and we spent the night with each other. Are you happy now fur face?”

Ajax just looks at Karen “You should know better than to lie to a bunch of werewolves, girl. We can smell the lie on you.”

Karen doesn’t say anything, but just steps on the gas pedal and speeds up.

Karen had to slow down when we got off at Freeman ave to take Bainbridge blvd to route 17. Once we got on route 17, it was a straight shot to the road where my father’s, or I should say where my house now sits. My house just barely sits inside the boundary lines separating Virginia from North Caroline. When we pull into the driveway, I notice Heather and her crew are hard at work and that my husband’s Hummer is missing. Karen pulls up right behind my little ole’ Honda Accord.

“Looks like Heather is hard at work.” Jack opens his door to get out.

“Yep, she says the work will take at least two weeks to do. She’s replacing some of the old trim and broads that have rotted through. On top of that, she is going to paint the whole house for me.” I get out and wave up to Heather. I notice she’s is working over on the front of the house.

“Why don’t you guys go in and make yourself comfortable. I need to talk to Heather about building a barn for me.” I start walking over towards Heather's location.

Heather comes down the ladder from where she had been working and meet me. We talk for a little while about the building of a barn. I show her where I want to put it and how big I want it to be. I inform her that I have plans for it. After I finish talking to her, I head inside and find Ajax and Jack sitting in the recliners drinking a beer, and Karen sitting on the sofa reading the gardening magazines I get each month.

“Well, that’s taken of.” I sit down on the sofa with Karen.

“So what’s your next move, Vicky?”

“Well, I still need to investigate the housing area where the boy disappeared from Jack and snoop around the neighborhood where these killings have been taking place. Cause the vampire that might have taken the boy, might be the one killing around there as well. Also, A relative of Sebastian’s is supposed to be sent here for me to protect. From what he has told me of her. She’s blind and is just now coming into her abilities.”

Ajax looks towards me with a puzzled look on his face “What type of abilities?”

I sit there and think if I should tell him or not. I know he can be trusted, but still. I sigh and brush back a lock of my hair before speaking.

“She’s part Fae. If she is anything like my sister and old enough now, her magical abilities should be getting stronger. She should be at the age where it has been determined what type of magic she posses.”

“How does the child or person determine what type of abilities they will have?” Karen puts down the magazine she was flipping through.

I look towards her.

“Normally, a part fae child inherits what magical power the Fae parent has or their magical nature will match what their personality is. If you have a person who is very passionate and has strong emotions, then they will possess the ability to wield magic suited to fire. If you have a person who posses a nature akin to those emotions and personality suited to the different elements, then their magic will be of those elements. If you have a person whose nature it is to just wield magic itself, then they will not possess any elemental magical abilities but will be able to call on some aspects of each of them. They're not as powerful as those whose magic comes from the elements, but they're more useful in combat and protection. While the others are more useful in keeping the balance of nature.”

“So what does this have to do with you and why is Sebastian so concern about this one girl?” Ajax looks at me as he takes a swing of his beer.

“Cause my father owed him a favor and that favor has been pasted on to me. I am honoring the debt my father has with him. Also,...” as I sit there and think about what I am going to say to Ajax. I know he has a hatred towards vampires, but if he is going to be risking his life with me on this case, then he needs to know why.

I look towards him so he can see the truth in my eyes “It’s because this girl is related to Sebastian and he is trying to protect her.”

Ajax stops and looks towards me “So why doesn’t he just do this himself then, instead of involving you in this matter? After all, he’s a vampire and probably is more capable of protecting her than you.”

“Haven’t you figured it out yet flea brain? If the other vampires found out that he has a living relative. They will use her against him. This way she is under Vicky’s protection and they wouldn’t think about it at all. No one would ever put two and two together unless one of us told them. Also, all the supernatural creatures in this area know she is a private investigator and is working on a case. So it makes sense for her to be protecting someone involved in the case.” Karen looks directly into Ajax’s eyes.

“Better look somewhere else girlie if you don’t want me to take that look as a challenge.” Ajax glares at Karen.

Karen directs her eyes towards the floor.

“Alright Ajax, enough is enough. Karen didn’t mean to look directly in your eyes.” I slump back against the back cushion of my coach and close my eyes for a second to think.

When I reopen them, I notice that Karen has picked up a magazine off my coffee table and was flipping through it. Ajax and Jack were watching me and drinking their beers.

I glance down at my wristwatch and try to remember the time that Sebastian’s relative was due to be at my house. I figure I had about two hours before she was going to show up. I look back up towards Ajax and Jack.

“I’m going for a run, do either of you two want to come with me?” I stand there and wait for their answer.

“Too early for me.” Ajax takes a sip of his beer.

“How about you Jack?” I glance over towards him.

“Nope!, I’ll stay here and try to keep Karen and Ajax from killing each other.” Jack looks towards both Karen and Ajax.

“How about you Karen? I’ll slow my pace so you can keep up with me.” I glance over towards Karen way.

She puts the magazine she had been flipping through down and looks up at me.

“I need to get back to my shop and finish up some repairs before I can start on Jack’s blazer. Do you mind if I take your Honda? That way you can use my Expedition till I get Jack’s Blazer fix.”

“No, go right ahead. The spare key is hanging up by the door. I filled the tank up, just the other day.”

“Thanks!” Karen stands up and heads towards the door.

She stops and turns to look at all of us before heading out.

“Just bring my SUV back in one piece, please. I already have high insurance premiums as is. I don’t need them going up any higher with damage to my SUV.” Karen looks directly towards me.

“I’ll make sure it gets back to you in one piece and any damages it sustains. Tom will pay for the repairs and talk to your insurance company. He has a way with people like that.” An evil grin appears on my face.

“I’ll hold you to that Vicky.” and with that. She heads out the front door.

I wait a few seconds before going upstairs and changing into my jogging outfit. I hear my Honda start-up and then listen as it leaves out of my driveway and down the road.

I head up the stairs and into my bedroom and slip out of the clothes I had been wearing and slip into my jogging clothes. I look at myself in the mirror as I put my long brown hair in a ponytail. I stare at my reflection like I have done so many times before and think about this case.
Normally when something is bothering me or I need to find some answers, I stop and stare into a mirror. They say that the mirror is the gateway to the soul. Just like your eyes. If you look into the mirror, you can peek into your soul. I know when I look hard enough at my reflection, I see my wolf peeking out and staring at me. She isn’t like most Wolves. I guess it’s because of the faire magic that is in my blood. It makes her more solid and different. I know, because I have fae magic in my bloodline. I’m immune to certain types of magic. I’m still affected by silver like any Were-wolf, but I can resist magic better than most wolves in my pack. I also can sense when magic is being used on me or someone else. That is something even my pack leader can’t do. I watch as my hazel eyes bled to my golden color ones. I notice the wolf staring back at me.

“What do you want? I didn’t summon you.”

“Danger is coming!”

I listen to the cryptic message my wolf gives me. She’ll do that sometime. She’ll let me know when there is danger or if I need to look or go somewhere that is important to the case’s I’m working on. She is like my sixth sense. I’ve learned to listen to her cryptic messages. God knows they have saved my lifetime and time again.

“When isn’t it? I need to know more?” I stare into my wolfish-looking eyes reflected in the mirror.

“Today, she is on her way here now to see you and trouble is behind her. She is in terrible danger.” with that said, my wolf eyes disappear and are replaced with my normal-looking human eyes.

I just shake my head. “Great! Just freaking great.”

I head downstairs and notice that Ajax and Jack weren’t there.

“Now, where in the world have the two of them taken off too?”I sniff around and find their scent.

I follow it towards the back door of the house and notice the two of them were outside by the brick grill getting ready to start it up. Ajax was loading it up with the firewood my husband had stacked next to it and Jack was setting the outdoor patio table.

“Well, at least they will have lunch ready for everyone.” I turn back around and head out the front door and across the front and down the street.

I notice my neighbor is outside working in his front yard. I wave to him and continue jogging down the highway. Cars speed by me as they head towards the North Carolina border. The broader is only seven miles from where I live. The highway itself is divided into four lanes, which are separated by a grassy median, On one side of the highway, as you head into Virginia, there is a huge chain-link fence that has been put up to keep the black bears in the area from wandering across the highway. There are a few Were-Bears in my area, but we get along fine. There’s also a family of Were-bobcats that live about ten miles from me that has joined me a few times during the full moon. Those guys really know how to have a good time. The young tom’s among them like to try to impress me, but they know I’m married to an Elder.

I head down the right-hand side of the highway which takes you deeper into Chesapeake when I notice a taxi cab pull over on the other side of the highway and drop off some young girl that looked to be in her teens. Her hair seemed to move like a breeze is blowing it. However, there isn’t a breeze strong enough blowing to do that. The young girl reaches up and adjusts her dark sunglasses and waits for the taxi cab to pull off before tapping the ground in front of her with a walking stick, which I know most blind people use. I continue to watch her walk down the side of the highway which leads to the broader of Chesapeake and North Caroline. I spot a dark blue car with tinted windows speeding toward her. I run across the divided highway as fast as I can, as the car speeds up and just as it was about to hit her and I was about to knock her out of the way. She is lifted into the air by some invisible force high enough to avoid the top of the car. However, I’m struck by the car and sent flying into a ditch by the side of the road. The pain of being hit by a moving object is overwhelming. I hear several of my bones break and feel them punch through my skin. The last thing I see before I blackout is the young blind girl standing next to me as everything goes black.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good thing Vicky heals fast.

Samantha Heart's picture

Kind of odd the Taxi dropping the girl off in the middle of the highway & NOT at Vicky's house... and then there is the car that attempts to run the girl over... kind of strange quindence.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

There's No Such Thing

As coincidences. It's up to us to figure out the driving force behind them. Sometimes we do, other times we call it a coincidence, or maybe just bad luck.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin