An Elf Named Hatter

Printer-friendly version

Aylin walks hand in hand with Mark as they do some Christmas shopping. They still had two weeks before Christmas.

“Who’s left on our Christmas list?” Mark looks at Aylin since she was handling the list.

“My mom, your parents, Bree, Brandy, Clair, Clay, Jamie, and Tony.” All the gifts they had to mail off were done.

Aylin mailed gifts to Bart’s daughters and Angel. She missed having Angel around. The last time she spoke with Angel, she and her family were doing well in Texas. Bart took real good care of them.

“So, I take it that you already have my Christmas gift?” Mark smiles at Aylin.

“Yes, I already have your Christmas gift and I’m not telling you what it is, either.” Aylin knew Mark could be a pest when it comes to keeping secrets from him.

“We’ll see.” A smirk appears on Mark’s face.

The two of them walk into Macy’s. Aylin still felt uncomfortable walking into high-end stores.

“Why don’t we split up. I’ll shop for Clair, Brandy, Jamie, Bree, and my mom. You shop for Clay and Tony. We can meet to shop for your folks, okay?” Aylin figures they could get more done that way.

“Alright, I’ll meet you in the jewelry department.” Shade knew Aylin liked pretty things. They brought back some nice jewelry from South America.

“Okay.” Aylin starts walking through the store.

She heads towards the lady’s department, looking for a nice outfit for Brandy. Brandy hinted at what she would like for Christmas. Aylin spots an outfit that she knew Brandy would love. She picks up several of them in Brandy’s size. She also picks up some accessories to go with the outfit.

She looks around for a gift for Clair. Clair was a little harder to buy for. If Clair wanted something, she worked hard to get it. Aylin spots another outfit that would look good on Clair. She buys a few different selections of the outfit and the accessories to go with it. Now, she had to find something for her mother, Jamie, and Bree.

She looks around Macy’s but doesn’t find anything that suited Anika. As Aylin is heading towards the jewelry section where Shade was waiting for her. She spots him looking at the jewelry in the display.

“Watch you looking at?” Aylin looks in the display case Mark was looking at.

“Some diamonds for you. I know how much you like shiny items.” Shade turns to look at Aylin.

“Diamonds are pretty, but I would rather give the money to a shelter or a needy family.” Aylin did love shiny things, but she would rather help a family in need right now.

“I know. So, who is left that we need to buy for?” Mark had found a few things for Clay and his identical brother Tony.

“Bree, Jamie, and my mom.” Aylin knew what Bree wanted.

She had watched Bree when they went out together. Bree’s birth mother never bought anything for Bree, unless Bree agreed to pay for it. She was happy that she had taken Bree from her birth mother. She also knew Bree was happier as well.

“Bree will be easy. I know a great toy store not far away we can get her some toys and computer games. As for Jamie, I know how much she loves her cane sword. So, I commissioned Sonja at Razor’s to make several custom-made Damascus steel cane swords for her. She going to put a laser edge on them as well.” Mark knew it was something Jamie could use when they went out on missions.

“I hate this cast.” Aylin tries to scratch an itch she has under the cast on her left arm.

A smirk appears on Mark’s face “you should have been more careful in that match last week.”

“I still beat that wanker with one of my arms broken.” Aylin wasn’t going to let a broken arm stop her from winning.

“Well, now you have to pay the price for not stopping.” Mark hands Aylin a plastic file so Aylin could scratch the itch.

“Thanks.” Aylin manages to get the plastic file under her cast and scratch the itch.

“You’re welcome.” Mark has already seen what diamonds he wanted to buy Aylin.

“Let’s go check out and do some more shopping.” Mark was enjoying spending the day with Aylin.

The two of them head towards the cashier to pay for everything. Mark uses the card Jack gave both of them. Every time they did a job for him or recovered the money from any jobs they did. They got a percentage of. They never knew how much it was until they did a balance check.

They had a second bank account he and Aylin used for any money they got from their MMA matches, which was usually a lot of money. The two of them normally made a lot of money during their matches. Their win-to-lose ratio was pretty good.

They walk out to Mark’s Lincoln and put their purchases in the trunk. Aylin and Mark get in and head towards the toy store for Bree. They also stop at a children's clothing store to buy her some more clothes. She was already outgrowing what Aylin bought Bree when she came to live with them.

Bree’s new hi-tech prosthetic leg fit her like a glove and she loved it. Aylin was making sure she took real good care of it and also showing just because she has an artificial leg, there isn’t anything she couldn’t do. She worked with Bree to prove she was just as good as a normal person.

While they were shopping, Mark and Aylin pick up gifts for the homeless shelter they helped out at with the rest of their friends. There was a children’s organization that was for disabled children, that Aylin and their friends have donated to and volunteered at. Some of the children were like Bree. They were born with missing or deformed limbs. Some of them needed special surgery for unusual conditions they happened to be born with.

A little after noontime, they meet up with Jamie. She had come into downtown New York to do some Christmas shopping as well. She was wearing a light blue cozy sweater, black leggings, and knee-high brown boots that looked like they were made for the winter weather.

“Aylin, Mark, it's funny running into you guys.” Jamie had a few bags in her hands.

“Doing the same thing you are. Doing some Christmas shopping, before we get called to do another assignment.” Mark noticed that Jamie went to a few high-end stores as well.

“Guilty as charged. I’m glad I ran into you guys. Because I really need some advice on what to get Bree. I passed Henry’s pet world and saw the cutest Ragdoll kitten and the cutest Munchkin kitten for sale. I don’t know if you’ll allow her to have pets.” Jamie didn’t know if Aylin and
Mark were dog people or cat people.

“I don’t mind. I had a pet cockroach when I was in the mental hospital.” Aylin remembered the cockroach she uses to play with when she was in the mental hospital. One of the orderlies found out and killed it.

“Why would he do that?” Jamie knew a little about Aylin’s history from Mark sharing it with her.

“Out of cruelness. They use to beat us and drug us.” Aylin knew the men that abused her were dead. She made sure of that.

“You said they had other animals?” Mark could see Hatter peeking out some.

“Yeah, they had this cute Shiba Inu and a few others. There was a Huskey puppy there and a Samoyed as well. If I got that for Bree, you’ll have a lot of furs you’ll need to vacuum up.” Jamie loved dogs, but she couldn’t have any because she had a small apartment. Plus, she was barely home most of the time.

“I don’t see why Bree can’t have a kitten. I know she likes cats. I also know she liked Haylee’s little border collie as well.” Mark saw Bree playing with Roxy when they were in Montana helping Jack out.

“If she got a dog, it would have to be trained up to uncle Jack’s standard. I wouldn’t want Bree not to have a protector when we aren’t around.
The problem is, we would have to send the puppy out to my uncle to train himself. There isn’t anyone like him out here on the East coast.” Aylin would want a dog that could protect Bree.

“There’s a guy that trains dogs to police standards here in New York I could pay him to train the puppy to police standards.” Jamie knew a guy
that trained dogs.

“I think we need to think on that for a while, Jamie. Did you pick up anything else for Bree?” Mark saw Aylin thinking about the suggestion.

“Yeah, I got her some nice baby dolls and clothing to go with them. I thought she might like some more dolls to add to her collection.” Jamie knew Bree collected dolls.

“If they are dolls, she’ll like them. How about everyone else?”

“You mean you and Aylin?” A cheshire grin appears on Jamie’s face.

“Besides us. What did you get Clair?” Aylin wonders what her blood sister got Clair.

“Well, since Clair likes to dress up as different anime girls. There’s a place over off 45th street that specializes in Japanese anime. I got her several dresses and accessories she will need to go with the outfits.”

“Oh, that will make her day. Look, we were about to go and have lunch. Why don’t you join us?”

“Okay. Let me run to my car real quick and drop my bags off.”

“Okay, we’ll be waiting here.” Mark and Aylin watch as Jamie runs off to her Camaro.

Jamie returns after a few minutes. There was a smile on her face because she just thought of something perfect for Aylin. Mark was easy and already had his gift in the car.

“So, where are we having lunch at?” Jamie was feeling hungry.

“Little Italy. We know the owners and he always likes it when we come in to have lunch.” Mark starts leading the way towards the restaurant.

“Is that because you guys saved his business?” Jamie has been hearing that there was a group of guys going around demanding protection money.

“Nope, we always spend a lot of money there.” Mark knew Aylin loved their custom-made pizzas.

“Oh!” Jamie follows Mark and Aylin to Little Italy.

When they arrive, she could tell it was an ordinary person’s place. It had pictures of different cities in Italy where the original owners came from. The people that currently managed the place were the great grandkids of the original owners.

“Hey Mark, I see you have two beautiful women with you today.” Giovanni had a big ole smile on his face.

“Well, you know what they say, Giovanni. When you got it, you got it?” Mark puts his arms around Jamie’s waist and Aylin’s waist.
Jamie just smirks and glances towards Aylin. She could tell Aylin was going along with Mark’s showmanship.

“Get back to work, Giovanni.” Maria smacks her husband with a towel.

Giovanni just smiles as he gets back to doing what he was doing before. He knew his wife was the true boss in the kitchen here.

“Do you guys want your standard order, Aylin?” Maria looks at Aylin and notices she had a cast on her left arm.

“Mark, did you break Aylin’s arm?” Maria scowls at Mark.

“No ma’am. It happened during a match.” Mark knew Maria would beat his ass black and blue if he ever hurt Aylin.

She was another person that treated Aylin as if she was her daughter. Maria first met Aylin when a purse snatcher tried to snatch her purse. After that incident, Aylin and Mark started visiting their restaurant with their friends and such at least once a week or so.

“I’m sorry to hear that. Did you at least win, Aylin?”

A smile appears on Aylin’s face “I knocked the person unconscious.”

“You should have seen it. It was so perfect.” Jamie had attended the match.

“If Aylin was fighting, I bet it was. I’ll have your pizza out to you in fifteen minutes, guys.” Maria turns around and starts working on the large pizza Aylin and Mark always gets.

A waitress comes over with a tray with three glasses filled with sweet iced tea. She places them on the table in front of each person.

“Thanks, Elizabeth.” Jamie liked the young woman that worked at the restaurant.

“You’re welcome.” She turns around with a smile on her face.

“Jamie, are you going to be coming over for our Christmas Eve dinner?” Mark looks at Jamie.

“I wouldn’t miss it. My mother is going to visit my aunt and uncles for theirs. Is there anything special I should bring with me?”

“Wine, lots and lots of wine.” Aylin loved wine, but she was going to be careful drinking around Bree.

“Yeah, what she said. Also, you know everyone in our parkour group volunteers at the homeless shelter near us.”

“I remembered, I volunteered on Thanksgiving. Do you want me to volunteer for Christmas?” Jamie takes a sip of her iced tea.

“You don’t have to, sis.” Aylin looks at Jamie.

“You know I don’t mind helping out, sis. I planned on spending the whole day with you guys unless you don’t want me to.”

“I knew I could count on you, sis.” A smile appears on Aylin’s face. She was proud of Jamie for wanting to help those less fortunate on the holidays.

“You can always count on me.” Jamie would do anything Aylin and Mark asked of her.

After a while, Maria comes walking over to their table with an extra-large pizza. She puts the pizza down in the middle of the table.

“Bon Appétit, guys.” Maria turns and walks away.

“Oh, how I love the pizza here.” Jamie was never a big pizza person, but after Mark and Aylin brought her to this restaurant. She fell in love with their pizza.

While they were eating, they didn’t say much. Elizabeth makes sure their iced teas were refilled. She knew Aylin and Mark always left a generous tip for their servers.

Mark leaves a fifty-dollar bill on the table for the pizza and the rest goes towards a tip for Elizabeth. As they leave with the leftovers. Maria waves to them.

Jamie follows Aylin and Mark back to Anika’s place. Bree was in school and would be home soon. She helps them bring in everything they bought earlier and hides them in Aylin’s old bedroom.

“So, is your mother going to stick around for Christmas or is she still planning on visiting her boyfriend?” Jamie found out that Anika had a boyfriend that liked in upper New York and owned a ranch.

She has been dating him for years now and he adores Kiera. He wanted to be close to Kiera and be part of her life. He asked Anika to marry
him, but she wasn’t sure yet. But she did say yes and kept it from her brother and sister in Europe.

“Aunt Jamie!” Bree comes running into the house.

She was happy to see her new aunt. She runs over to Jamie and hugs her.

“Hey, munchkin. How was school today?” Jamie hugs Bree back.

“It was fun and I made several new friends as well.” Bree liked her new school. No one treated her differently or made fun of her artificial leg.
Shigeko comes walking into Anika’s townhouse with her daughter following her. Bree and Shigeko’s daughter went to the same private school. So, she volunteers to pick Bree up and take her to school every day.

Shigeko spots Jamie when she walks in. A smile appears on her face because she did a complete security background on Jamie and helped establish her in the DMV and Social Security database as a woman. She also managed to get register Jamie as a special agent working for the US Marshal’s Judicial branch.

Bree lets go of Jamie and turns towards her mother “mom, our school is looking for volunteers to help with a Christmas party at school. Can you volunteer, please?”

A smile appears on Aylin’s face “of course sweetie. What day is it?”

“It’s at the end of next week, just before we go on winter break. Here’s the flyer the teacher gave us.” Bree pulls the flyer out of her backpack and hands it to her mother.

Aylin looks at it and notices they needed volunteers to help with the party. Also, donations of items like cupcakes, chips, soda, cups, cakes, pies, and so on. She looks at her daughter “I would love to volunteer sweetie.”

“If you can use a second person, I’ll volunteer as well.” Jamie didn’t mind volunteering for Bree’s party.

After all, she was considered family by Aylin and Anika. After the blood transfusion, Aylin gave her. Aylin considers her, her blood sister.

Bree turns around to look at her aunt “thank you, aunt Jamie.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie.” Jamie smiles at Bree.

“Well, it seems that matter is taken care of.” Shigeko had thought about helping if Aylin couldn’t help out. She was going to help with her own daughter's Christmas party.

“Thanks for picking up Bree for me, Shigeko.” Aylin looks at Shigeko and was glad she was her mother’s trusted friend.

“Any time. We’ll I’ll better be off.” Shigeko looks at her daughter and smiles.

Mark, Jamie, and Aylin watch as Shigeko leaves. She’s been a really good friend to the family.

“Mom should be home soon. I think we better get dinner going.” Aylin and Mark took cooking lessons together.

The first time Aylin tried to cook something in Anika’s kitchen, she nearly set the kitchen on fire. Anika had to have the kitchen remodeled after that incident. She forbids Aylin from cooking in the new kitchen until she took cooking lessons.

So, Mark and Aylin took cooking lessons together. Their instructor was impressed with Aylin’s knife skills. That caused a smirk to appear on Mark’s face.

“Well, I better be on my way. I have a case I’m working on.” Jamie wanted to find out who was strong-arming some of the merchants in a neighborhood near her.

“Are you going to be, okay?” Mark looks at Jamie with concern on his face.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll let you know how things go.” Jamie knew Mark and Aylin could get some results.

She leaves and heads back to the house she shares with her mother. She had her gear there, along with a motorcycle that was identical to the motorcycles Mark and Aylin took to South America. The person who built theirs built one for her as well.

“Well, it's just, us kiddo.” Mark looks at Bree.

“Grandma and Kiera should be home soon.” Bree knew her grandmother and aunt should be home.

“Well, let's get any homework out of the way.” Mark knew Bree’s teacher always assigns homework every day.

“Yes, sit.” Bree heads to her bedroom to change out of her school clothes. She comes back into the dining room and sits down at the table to work on her homework.

Foothill Learning Academy:
Bree walks into her class with her friends. She walks over to her seat and takes her laptop out, along with the note her mother sent. A smile appears on her face as she thinks about her mother and her aunt Jamie coming to class. Her father will have to work the day the party is.

“Hey Bree, is your mother going to help out with the party?” Bruce looks over at Bree from his seat on the other side of the classroom.

“Yep, and so is my aunt Jamie.” Bree knew it was going to be fun because her mother had something special, she was going to do.

“Cool.” Bruce liked Bree’s mother and aunt.

He met them at Bree’s birthday party. Bree’s mother did some tricks and made balloon animals for everyone. Her aunt did some magic tricks with her playing cards.

Bree spots her teacher Mrs. Wallace walk into the classroom. She takes the note her mother wrote up to her.

“Mrs. Wallace, my mom wrote a note to you.” Bree hands the note to her teacher.

“Thanks, Bree.” Mrs. Wallace accepts it and starts reading it.

“You’re welcome, Mrs. Wallace.” Bree heads back to her seat.

Old Quarters Gym:
Around noontime, Mark and Aylin call it quits for the day. Their MMA trainer Rex was impressed by how much they had improved since they asked him to train them.

“Mark, you know you have a match on New Year’s Day.” Rex was surprised Shawn O’Connor wanted to fight Mark.

Mark was a formable fighter and has only lost two matches. O’Conner on the other hand has lost four matches and is a good fighter, but not in Mark’s class.

“I haven’t forgotten. I don’t know why Shawn wants to fight me.” Mark knew Shawn and knew what type of fighter he was.

“Because he thinks he can beat you.” Aylin overheard Shawn bragging that he could beat Mark easily.

That had caused a smirk to appear on her face because she knew how good of a fighter Mark was. Between the training, they got from Rex,
Anika, Terry, Dakota, and the fighting they do out on the streets. There was no way he’ll beat Mark.

Around lunchtime, they meet up with Jamie at El Rodeo for lunch. Jamie loved Mexican food. It was one of her favorites. They spot Jamie waiting for them outside of the restaurant.

“You didn’t need to wait for us, out here.” Mark noticed Jamie had some bruising on her arms and face.

“What happened to you, sis?” Aylin was concerned about the bruising on Jamie’s arms and face.

“I had a run-in with the Mexican Mafia last night.” Jamie couldn’t believe a group of them thought they could take her own. Sure, they
outnumbered her, two to one. But they didn’t have her training or skills.

“Did you take any serious damage?” Aylin didn’t like her blood sister or any of her friends being hurt.

“Nope, I sent all eight of them to the hospital. They all are either in critical condition or disabled for life.” Jamie opens the door of the restaurant.

“Why didn’t you call us for backup?” Mark was worried about Jamie.

“I had everything under control. I disarmed them and defended myself. Some of them, unfortunately, got the tip of my sword.” Jamie loved her cane sword.

“I hope you permanently disabled them.”

“I did, sis.” Jamie follows behind their hostess.

“Good.” An evil smile appears on Aylin’s face.

The next hour so, Jamie, Mark, and Aylin enjoy their Mexican lunch. Afterward, Jamie splits off from the others and does some more shopping. Mark and Aylin head towards one of their favorite costume shops to pick up some costumes they ordered.

Later, after getting what they came for. They finish up their Christmas shopping as well and meet Shigeko at the townhouse later.
The Christmas Party, Foothill Learning Academy:

Jamie looks at Aylin and couldn’t believe she had talked her into wearing an elf outfit. Sure, Aylin was wearing one as well. They were the only adults dressed up for the Christmas party. The other two mothers that had volunteered to help out were dressed in normal clothes.

Even Bree had an elf costume on and she was helping set up everything. Her class wasn’t the only class involved in the Christmas party. There were several others as well.

Christmas music was playing in the background. There were several huge red bags filled with Christmas gifts that Anika had sent for Jamie and Aylin to pass out to the kids. She made sure there were more than enough gifts for every child.

Mrs. Wallace, Mrs. Cherry, Mrs. White, and Mr. Thompson were all impressed with how everything had come out. Mrs. Wallace walks over to Bree and Aylin “I can believe what you have accomplished in such a short time, Mrs. Jagger.”

A smile appears on Aylin’s face “it wasn’t just me, Mrs. Wallace. It was the other elves and Santa as well.”

A smile appears on Mrs. Wallace’s face “of course.”

Jamie does some magic tricks for the kids. She knew a few tricks that she learned just for fun. She saw Aylin helping a few of the younger
kids. The other parents that had shown up were making sure the food and snacks were kept organized and filled.

While Jamie and Aylin were taking a break and watching the kids, a man comes into the classroom. He looked he was drunk or high on something.

“Aylin, trouble at three o’clock.” Jamie nods towards the man that stepped into the classroom.

He looked like he was heading towards a boy and girl playing with the gifts they received. Aylin knew they were brother and sister. She puts her drink down and walks over to intercept the man.

“Excuse me, sir, is there anything I can do for you?” Aylin could smell alcohol coming off the guy.

Evan hated he had to leave his company party early to pick up his kids. His wife was supposed to, but her boss down at the diner would let her leave during her shift.

“Yeah, I’m here to pick up my kids to take them home.” Evan looks at the short red hair female elf standing before him. He noticed she had a cast on her left arm.

“Look, you’re in no condition to be around your kids right now. I can smell alcohol on your breath and you look unsteady. Why don’t I bring them home, instead?” Aylin was trying to be nice.

Evan steps close to the elf woman “look, they are my kids and I’ll do what is best for them. I don’t need some nosy elf woman telling me how to treat them.” He pokes Aylin in her chest.

Jamie saw what the guy did to Aylin. She knew that was a big mistake on his part. Aylin didn’t like people touching her unless she knew you.

An evil smile appears on Aylin’s face. She steps closer to the guy and shoots him with her needler. She always has it on her and was concealed in her elf costume.

The next thing Evan knows, he is falling towards the floor. He stopped before he hits the floor by the red-haired elf.

“Easy there, big fellow.” Aylin had put her needler back where she had it hidden on her body.

Jamie walks over to help Aylin. She helps Aylin sit the guy down on a nearby seat. She leans in close to Aylin “I thought for sure you were going to break his finger.”

“Not in front of the kids.” Aylin didn’t want his kids to see her hurt him.

She pulls out her cellphone and calls the driver Jack and Gina normally used when they were in town. She gets him on the phone “hey, this is the Hatter. I need for you to come to Foothill Learning Academy for a pickup.”

“On my way.” Darrel knew Hatter was an agent of Mr. Bounty’s.

“Thanks, Darrel.” Aylin ends the call.

One of the other mothers comes over to see if everything is alright. She knew the man was Gera’s and Larry’s father.

“Is he alright?” Betty looks at Aylin for an answer.

“He’s fine. He just passed out. I have an Uber coming to pick him and his kids up.” Aylin smiles at Betty.

“I wonder what caused him to pass out?” Betty was looking at Mr. Day.

“I think he’s allergic to bees.” A smirk appears on Jamie’s face.

Aylin just smiles at Jamie’s joke. If he hadn’t poked her, he wouldn’t be unconscious right now. He should be lucky, that’s all she did to him.

Fifteen minutes later, Darrel shows up. He and Jamie carry Mr. Day out to his car. Mr. Day’s kids go with them. They loved the gifts that Aylin and Jamie passed out to them. Gera loved the dolls she got. They were what she wanted.

After all the kids leave. Aylin, Jamie, and the other parents help the teachers clean up everything. Anything leftover was split up between them.
By the time they were done, you couldn’t tell there had been a party in the room. Mrs. Wallace looks at everyone “this has been the best
Christmas party in all my years of teaching here. I want to thank all of you for what you did.”

“It was our pleasure.” Aylin enjoyed playing Santa’s little helper.

Bree looks up at her mother and Jamie. She was proud of both of them. She saw how much fun her mother had with the other kids.

Bree skips next to her mother as they walk towards Jamie’s Camaro. She was happy and loved how much fun she had.

“Mom, did you use to do this before you adopted me?” Bree looks at Aylin as they reach the car.

“What, enjoy myself at school Christmas parties? This is the first time for me.” Aylin makes sure Bree is belted in.

“No one, give out gifts like you and Aunt Jamie did.” Bree was curious.

“Those were from your grandmother. She has a soft spot for kids.” Aylin knew Anika loved kids.

Jamie drives everyone home. She had fun today with the kids. She wonders what things are going to be like at the homeless shelter.

The rest of the week goes by fast. All the members from the parkour group come over to Anika’s place to practice Christmas songs. The group was going to sing at the homeless shelter. Bree had a solo song she was going to sing.

Christmas Eve, everyone helps out at the homeless shelter that Mark and Aylin support. When all the food is served. Mark, Aylin, Jamie, Brandy, Clair, Clay, and Tony line up on the makeshift stage and sing Christmas carols to everyone in the shelter. They were all dressed as elves. Clair went a little overboard, but she was having fun.

After several songs, Bree takes the stage and sings Silent Night, Holy Night by herself. Aylin is proud of her as she sings to everyone.

“She sounds good.” Tony loved how Bree sounded.

“That she does brother. I wonder if she wants to be a singer when she gets older?” Clay looks at his twin brother.

“I hope she doesn’t.” Brandy knew how hard it was to break into the music business.

“I’ll support whatever she wants to do.” Aylin was proud of her daughter.

Everyone ends up at Anika’s place for dinner. Anika had already left with Kiera to stay with her boyfriend over the holidays. Bree was allowed to open her Christmas gifts from her grandmother before she left.

Around midnight, Aylin and Mark find Bree passed out in the den. She was curled up on one of the recliners.

“Looks like we wore her out.” Aylin picks Bree up and carries her upstairs and undresses her.

As she lays Bree down on the bed “Merry Christmas, sweetie.” She places a kiss on Bree’s forehead.

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Beautiful Story

BarbieLee's picture

LadyDragon this is a very beautiful story of loving and caring for others in the lives of those who are involved with some of the best and worst of soceity. Loved it.
Hugs LadyDragon
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

"just as good as a normal person."

Are you suggesting a person with an artificial limb is no longer a "normal person"? I'd have to say I find such an idea offensive. I had friends that came back from 'Nam with artificial limbs.

I grew up with a girl that was a thalidomide baby, in her twenties she had her right lower arm amputated so she could get a more useful hand than what nature provided. Even though artificial hands were extremely crude at that time, it was still better than what she grew up with. Her left hand was better than her right, but this was back in the days when it was still considered appropriate to punish "lefties".

In addition, I know a couple of people that lost limbs in traffic accidents, and got artificial limb replacements.

All of these people are normal people. They are as normal as you and me, well at least me anyway.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Me, never

However, I have encountered people who have problems with disabled people. I went to school with a guy that was confined to a wheelchair. I would help him move between classes and play poker with him during lunch as well.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

The Drunk parent was LUCKY

Samantha Heart's picture

His kids were around otherwise.... he'd be hurting in more than 1 way. A great story btw heart-warming & you can yell Hatter is calming down & settling into mother hoid.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.