Daughter Of The Wolf Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Amy yawns and stretches as she looks around their campsite. The homemade tent Dan taught her to make yesterday was behind her. Dan told her that they were going to survive off the land, which meant she would have to hunt for her food, and find water. He brought some waterskins he had collected over the years with them.

Amy goes looking for something to make breakfast. She finds several plants that she knew she was safe to eat. Dan had taught her which plants she could eat yesterday when they went out looking for dinner. She gathers up enough plants and some wild berries she found that was safe to eat as well. She heads back to camp and smelled the aroma of bacon and eggs.

When she notices Dan cooking them over a fire he made. She just stands there looking at him with disbelief on her face.

“I thought you said we are living off the land?” Amy couldn’t believe that Dan was holding out on her.

“I said you are going to learn how to live off the land. This is a survival training trip for you.” A Cheshire smile appears on his face.

“Fine, I spent most of the morning finding us breakfast for nothing.” Amy walks over with her bounty.

“It’s not for nothing, Amy. Let’s see what you have.” Dan wanted to see what Amy gathered.

He goes through the plants, nuts, berries and some bird eggs Amy managed to find. He was impressed that she managed to find a lot of different safe foods for the two for them to eat. He looks at her “you did good, kiddo.”

“Thanks.” Amy was proud that she did well.

“Don’t let it go to waste.” Dan smiles at Amy.

“Yes sir.” Amy sits down and starts eating the food she found.

After breakfast, Dan shows Amy how to track in the forest. Also, how to tell where she is and what time it is. He also shows her what plants and fungi can be used for medical use. For the next few days, Dan and Amy train and track animals in the woods.

Dan also teaches Amy how to fish as well. Everything from catching the fish with her hands to making a makeshift fishing pole with stone weights and different types of bait. Dan makes her fish for dinner that night.

After dinner that night, Dan teaches her about the constellations and how to spot them up in the sky. Amy was loving the lessons. She also liked the fact that she was outside and surrounded by so much green and trees. The only environment she has known was the desert.

She does some night hunting and learns how to be quiet as she moved. Thanks to her eyes and sense of smell. She doesn’t have a hard time at night, as a normal person would. Part of the change she went through was when Wolf’s blood was introduced into her body.

Amy and Dan do some hiking. Amy loves it and could keep going, but poor Dan has to stop a few times.

“What’s wrong old man, can’t keep up?” Amy looks at Dan with a playful look on her face.

“If I had some of your father’s blood running through my veins, I could.” Dan knew keeping up with someone as young as Amy was going to be tough. Not only was she young and in her teens, but she also had the blood of Wolf himself running through her veins. Which made her
supernatural.

“Dan, how long have you known my father?” Amy was curious about their relationship.

“Since I was a child. He would move among the people on the reservation to see how his children were doing. There’s a tradition that every young person takes to discover who or what their spirit animal would be.”

“And that’s how you met dad?” Amy has heard about the tradition of how you go about finding your spirit animal and guide.

“Yes. He turned out to be my spirit animal.” Dan remembered the day he met Wolf.

“That must have been weird.” Amy could imagine how that must have been.

“You have no idea. I was lost in the woods and I knew a pack of wolves was out hunting. We had been having problems with a pack that was
coming after our livestock. I was stalking them and injured myself. I would have died if Wolf hadn’t shown up when he did. He protected me from the pack of wolves. Since then, I have always trained or taught whoever he brought to me.”

“Have they been like me?” Amy was curious.

“My dear, there isn’t anyone like you. You are the first of your kind in a very long time.” Dan knew that to be true.

“Oh, I didn’t know that.” Amy was surprised to hear that.

For the rest of the evening, Dan leaves the campsite and goes into the woods. He was setting up some traps and obstacles for Amy. He was going to test her.

When he comes back, Dan looks at Amy “I have left a water skin filled with your favorite drink in a clearing. I want you to go and retrieve it.”
Amy gives him a suspicious look “what’s the catch?”

“You’ll find out. Now go and retrieve it.” Dan tosses Amy a knife.

Amy catches the knife. She puts in a spare sheath she has and heads into the woods. After a few minutes of walking, she almost trips the first trap set for her. She disarms it and moves on. Now she knew why Dan wanted her to retrieve the waterskin.

In the second and third traps, she disarms but gets whacked by the fourth trap. Dan knew she would find the second and third one, but when she disarmed the third trap. It set the fourth trap and when she proceeds forward and sets it off.

A branch swings out and hit her hard across her chest. It was only strong enough to knock the wind out of her, but it hurt like hell. She moved more carefully, making sure there weren’t any traps in her path. By the time she got to the waterskin, she set the last trap off. However, she managed not to get tripped up by the trap.

By the time she gets back to camp she looks at Dan “you are not playing fair.”

An evil smile appears on Dan’s face “sweetheart, life isn’t fair and people you might encounter won’t be nice to you either. So, I’m preparing you for what you are going to encounter.”

Dan knew he was going to have to be hard on Amy. He was going to prepare her for what she will have to face after Wolf and he feel she is ready.

“Come on, let’s go and get dinner for tonight.” Dan grabs a bow and several arrows he made.

Amy puts the waterskin down and follows Dan into the woods. They find deer tracks and follow them. Dan hands the bow and arrow to Amy
“alright kiddo, let's see what you got.”

Amy aims and pulls the arrow back. She waits and after a few seconds, she releases the arrow. It flies straight and true, as it hits its target. The arrow buries itself into the deer.

Dan and Amy move swiftly towards it and slit its throat. Dan shows Amy how to skin and remove the internal organs of the deer. He does make her take a bite out of the deer’s heart. He also thanks the deer for sacrificing itself so they may feed.

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dan will teach her well.

Samantha Heart's picture

Das has already started to teach Amy well about a lot of different things & the traps are only part of the lesson. Others including hunting, fishing & foraging as well. When Amy meets Cora her training will pay off, & also be another training secession in a way.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.