Native Life Chp. 1

Printer-friendly version

Special Disclaimer:
This story is a continuation of what took place in Leave No Stone Unturned:

Navajo Nation Reservation, Arizona:
Cora examines all the artifacts she brought back from New York. The guys that helped her load the artifacts onto the truck, also helped her unload them at a warehouse that she was renting. The warehouse was located on the reservation, and she hired several guys she trusted to guard it.

So, far she has been in touch with several tribal leaders that were missing or had artifacts stolen from their lands or burial lands. She sent them pictures of the artifacts she brought back and had them identify which ones belong to them.

“Have you heard back from any more tribal leaders?” Dyani looks at Cora as she inventories the artifacts again.

“Some of them have gotten back to me and will be sending their people here to retrieve what belongs to them.” Cora turns around to look at Dyani.

She has been a big help in organizing everything back on the reservation. She found the warehouse for her and got the numbers for all the different tribal leaders.

“So, when will you be getting rid of these items?” Dyani looks at one of the artifacts and thought it looked unique.

“As soon as the tribal leaders send their representatives. I’m making sure these artifacts get back to their proper owners and aren’t resold again.” Cora didn’t want to see all the hard work she has been doing going to waste.

“That makes sense. I have a favor to ask of you.”

“What’s that?” Cora wonders what Dyani had in mind.

“The group I volunteer for needs some more people to help build houses for some of the families here on the reservation. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind volunteering for a while?” Dyani knew Cora wasn’t working on a case right now.

“Sure, since I have some free time, I don’t mind helping out.” Cora owed the people on the reservation a lot. Also, they were her family now, since the spirits gave her, her gifts.

“Cool, I’ll let Calian know. Can you meet me at Running Crow's resident tomorrow morning?” Dyani knew everyone knew where Running Crow place was.

“Sure. Now, let's go and get some lunch.” Cora locks the place up.

Cora had sold one of the SUVs she kept from one of the crooks she had encountered and bought a used Jeep Wrangler. She had it repainted to match the desert coloring of the reservation. She hops into the driver seat and drives over to Crazy Eddy’s food stand.

Crazy Eddy’s Food Stand:
As Cora approaches Crazy Eddy’s Food Stand. A smile appears on her face as she spots his face on a chicken statue he had made. Ever since she has been living on the reservation, she has been coming to his food stand. He and his wife made some of the best Native American and Mexican-style food.

She pulls into a parking space and walks up to the food stand. There was already a line as she turns her jeep off and get in line. Cora knew Dyani was standing behind her.

“I didn’t know you liked coming down to Crazy Eddy’s.” Dyani met Cora a few months ago after she busted Alec Hussle.

“Are you kidding, me? I love his different styles of flatbread. He and his wife make the best flatbread around.” Cora loved the different styles of flatbreads Eddy and his wife Rose made.

When it’s time for Dyani and Cora to place their order. Cora lets Dyani place her order first. Cora already knew what she wanted.

“That will be.” Rose was ringing Dyani’s order.

“I’m covering her order, Rose.”

“Okay, what would you like today, Cora?” Rose was taking the orders today.

“I’ll have your barbecue buffalo flatbread.” Cora loved the barbecue meat.

Rose writes the order down and places it on the order wheel. She knew it wouldn’t take long to cook.

Rose rings up Cora’s order and adds Dyani’s order to the cost. She looks at Cora “your total is $15.50.”

Cora hands a twenty-dollar bill to Rose “keep the change, Rose.”

“Thanks, Cora.” Rose puts the change in the tip jar.

Dyani and Cora walk over to a makeshift table and chairs. The table was an old cable reel with an umbrella in the middle of it. The chairs were made from old whiskey barrels.

Cora sits down in her chair and looks around “I wonder how long it took Eddy to make the furniture?”

“His brother made the outside furniture for him.” Dyani knew Eddy’s brother, Hawk could make anything out of any material.

“Oh?” Cora didn’t know that.

“Yeah, Eddy’s younger brother Hawk can build anything out of all sorts of junk. He likes going around looking for material to make items from.”

“I’m going to have to remember that.” Cora could always use Hawk’s help with something or give him material from some of her cases.

‘So, how was your trip to New York, besides finding stolen artifacts?” Dyani figures that Cora got herself into some trouble or helped on a case.

“Let’s just say, it is like walking into another country. There were so many people and a lot of them looked like they could use some sort of help. While others looked like they were doing fine.”

“Well, I did read somewhere that New York use to be the entry point of people coming to America.” Dyani had a large collection of books back at her place.

After fifteen minutes “Cora, your order is up.”

“Thanks, Rose.” Cora was getting up to get the order.

“I got it, Cora.” Dyani gets up and walks over to get their order.

She comes walking back with their order and two bottles of water. It was a little humid outside and the water was nice and cold. Dyani sets their orders on the table and sits down on her seat.

Cora looks at her barbecue on a flatbread with coleslaw. She folds the flatbread and takes a bite of it. The coleslaw was sweet, and the meat was rich. A low moan escapes from her mouth as she enjoys her lunch.

After lunch, Cora says goodbye to Dyani as she drives back to her trailer. Everyone that had been staying with her, had left or was staying somewhere else. She didn’t mind, because she was a private person. She takes her mask out of her backpack and hangs it on the wall near her desk.

She sits down and checks any emails she had. She also doubles checks the inventory list against what she had in her files. Nothing was missing and matched what she had from last time.

For the rest of the afternoon, Cora does a load of laundry and hangs them out on the clothesline. After doing laundry she walks over to George’s house to get dinner going for the two of them.

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Genealogy and timeframes

There really should be a sort of ‘scheme’ and a sequence or timeframe that explains how and when to read your stories, because as much as I like them sometimes I really do not understand them and lose myself in the flux

Timeline for Night Fox

There's Cora Black's origin story Night Fox, NightFox: The Case Of The Stolen Native American Artifacts, Project Night Bird, and Leave No Stone Unturned. In Night Bird and Leave No Stone Unturned, she was a supporting character.

She knows Katie, because Katie was the one who took her to the hospital in Night Fox. I hope this helps.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Thanks

I’ll read all your stories in the suggested sequence

A nice beginning for this story

Samantha Heart's picture

Nice & subdude, but knowing Cora it won't last long, before she's off again on another case & in danger again lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.