Carla and Angela Part 10

Printer-friendly version

Wonders of Weird, Manhattan, New York:
Carla walks into the store and the theme song to Ghostbusters starts playing. She really hated that song and found it really annoying. She heads toward the counter to see if Pixel was in.

James comes from the back and spots Carla standing at the counter. He knew he heard the Ghostbuster theme song played. A smile appears on his face “long time no see Carla. What brings you in here today?”

A friendly smile appears on Carla’s face when she hears James’s voice. She noticed that he still had his hair cut short and it was still colored a light green neon color. She still couldn’t get over how skinny he was. He had no meat on his bones at all.

“I thought you were going to take an IT job and leave Pixel high and dry,” Carla remembers the last time she spoke with James.

“I did and I hated it. The work environment sucked and they wanted things done right then and there. So, after working for a week for the company. I quit and came back here and begged Pixel to take me back.” James didn’t like the attitudes of the people or how they wanted him to fix the problem right then and there. Some of the problems required time and research and they didn’t want to wait.

“Well, it’s good you’re back. The place wouldn’t be the same without you.”

“Thanks, so what brings you into the store today? Are you finally going to buy a Ghostbuster’s proton pack?” James already had twenty people who wanted one.

“Come on, James. Those things are fake. There is no way to build a real one.” Carla didn’t believe in the stupid things.

“Oh, you have been gone for a while. Pixel figured out how to make an actual proton pack and the ghost trap.” James couldn’t believe she figured out how to make one.

“That’s dangerous.” Carla couldn’t believe what James was saying.

“Trust me, I know. Anyway, what can I do for you, today?” He looks at Carla’s face.

“I need an EMF scanner built for me.”

“We have those out on the floor. Why would you need an EMF scanner built?” James’s curiosity was piqued.

“Can you please get Pixel for me?”

“Sure, but you do know you can trust me.” James turns to walk into the back where Pixel was always tinkering with something.

“I know James.” Carla watches as James heads towards the back to get Pixel.

While she is waiting, she grabs a few sweet-tart candies and opens them. She loves these things, as she puts a handful in her mouth to suck on. While she is enjoying the candy, she glances around her to see what has changed since the last time she was here. There were all sorts of Ghostbusters posters hanging on the wall from all the movies and cartoons.

Carla couldn’t get over how much of a geek Pixel is or how smart she was either. No one knew that much about her, except there wasn’t anything she couldn’t build for the right price. Also, crossing her wasn’t something you did either.

“Carla, what is so important that James couldn’t handle it?” Pixel looks over at Carla as she comes walking out of the back room.

Carla turns around and notices Pixel has changed her hair color and style again. She noticed one side of Pixel’s head was bald and the middle of her hair was colored cotton candy pink.

“Trying something new?” Carla was curious as she walks over to the counter.

“You could say something like that. Now, do you mind telling me why I had to come up here?” Pixel looks at Carla as if she was dealing with a child.

“I need an EMF device built, that can pick up on the magical energies of a crystal ball.”

“We have those out on the floor. Why do you need a specific one built?” Pixel was watching Carla’s body language.

“Because this one was used to communicate with Nyx herself and she has sent a servant of hers here to get it back.”

Pixel could tell Carla was serious about this. She rubs her chin and thinks for a second or two “how big of a device do you need?”

“Something small and portable, that can be concealed in a cleaning woman’s cart.” Carla figures Rita could conceal it among her cleaning supplies.

“You know the smaller the unit. The shorter the range. I can come up with something by tomorrow afternoon. Do you want to pay for it now or when I am finished with it?” A smile appears on Pixel’s face when she asks that question.

“Pay you now, for it.” Carla takes a few coins out of her purse and hands them to Pixel.

“Since this is a rush job and unique. I’ll need one more coin.” Pixel figures this was a three-gold coin job.

“Fine.” Carla digs out a third gold coin and places it in Pixel’s hand.

A smile appears on Pixel’s face as she closes her hand. She walks over to the register and rings the purchase up. She enters it as something else and charges her how much the three coins were worth. A receipt prints out.

Pixel tears the receipt off and takes it to Carla. She places the receipt in Carla’s hand “it will be ready by tomorrow evening, around six o’clock.”

“Thanks, Pixel.”

“You’re welcome. Now, I need to get back to work.” Pixel turns and walks back to the back.

“Exit, stage left.” Carla waves goodbye to James as she walks towards the door.

James stands there, confused about Carla’s comment. He has never heard that before. He watches as she walks out the front door.

Carla looks at her wristwatch and notices it was around lunchtime. She wasn’t too far from one of her favorite sandwich shops. She walks to the parking lot and gets into her car. She listens to the radio as she drives a few blocks to Snappy Dan’s Hot Dog and Sandwich Pub.

Carla finds a nice parking spot and heads into Snappy Dan’s from the back entrance. The place was packed as she tries to locate a booth to sit at. She finds one and just as she sits down. A dirty blonde busty young woman appears at the table. The name on the name tag pinned to her dark t-shirt said her name was April.

“Hi, I’m April and I’ll be your waitress this afternoon. What can I get you to drink today?” April spotted the well-dressed woman when she walked in and sat in her area.

“Sweet Iced Tea, please.” Carla already knew what she wanted to drink.

“One ice tea coming up. Here’s a menu.” April hands the menu to Carla.

“Thank you.” As Carla accepts it. She watches as April weaves in and out as she heads towards the kitchen area.

Carla opens the menu and starts looking at the food choices available. There were a lot of things on the menu Carla either liked or loved. She spots the Reuben sandwich with melted Swiss and other things she liked on it.

April shows up with Carla’s sweet tea. She looks at Carla “are you ready to order or do you need more time?”

“I’m ready to order and I want the Reuban plate with season log fries.”

April writes the order down on her order pad. She looks back at Carla “is there anything else you would like?”

“Nope, just that.” Carla closes the menu and hands it back to April.

April accepts the menu and leaves to place the order.

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The needed device

Samantha Heart's picture

I hope this device works like it's meant too.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.