Project: Night Bird Chapter 23

Printer-friendly version

Aviva wakes up and finds herself on the floor of her van. Last night there had been gunshots coming from behind the abandoned gas station she parked at last night. She wonders why there had been gunshots.

She changes out of her nightclothes and slips on a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt. Her breasts weren’t very big, that she needed to wear a bra all the time. She slips her hiking boots on and starts walking towards the back of the gas station.

After about ten minutes of walking, she spots a bunch of buzzards picking at something. She moves carefully to where they were and spots a bloody body. There looked to be a blackened, smoking motorcycle near the body.

“What happened?” Aviva had to cover her nose from the stench.

“That is a good question.”

Cora spots a young woman with short purple color hair standing near a bloody body. The tracks her mask had shown her, had led her to this location. She had backtracked them from behind Katie’s house. The first thing she came across was a damaged motorcycle. It had bullet holes in the tank and the exhaust pipes on it had been damaged.

Thanks to the mystical nature of her mask, it allowed her to follow where the motorcycle had come from. She was surprised to find another person where the tracks led her.

“Who are you?” Aviva looks at the figure that seemed to appear out of nowhere.

The person looked to be wearing some sort of black fox shaped mask and a tight-fitting black suit. She also noticed that the figure had a belt with several leather pouches on it and two tomahawks.

“I’m Cora Black. Do you know what happened here?” Cora approaches the girl carefully.

“No ma’am. I heard gunfire last night. It woke me up and I took cover on the floor of my camper van.”

“You were camping out near here?” Cora was curious.

“Yes ma’am. I don’t have a permanent resident, so I camp out wherever I can.” Aviva watches Cora.

Cora walks over to the dead body. The person was dressed in biker clothes and had several tattoos on his body. He also had a bald head as well. She could see where several bullets had entered his body.

Cora searches his body and looks for his wallet. Katie said that she didn’t know who the person was. She finds his wallet and opens it to see who the person was.

“Are you robbing him?” Aviva was wondering why this Cora person was holding the dead man’s wallet.

Cora looks at the young woman “no, I’m not. I’m wondering who the person is.”

“Oh! I’m sorry.” All of this was new to Aviva. This was stuff she only has seen on television.

Cora reads the name out loud “Becker Thompson.”

“Why do I know that name?” Aviva knew she knew that name, but she couldn’t put her finger on where she knew it from.

Cora looks at the young woman standing before her. She could tell she was thinking about something.

“Do you know this person?”

“I might, but I can’t recall how I know this person.” Aviva knew she knew this person.

“Well, we need to report this. I suggest unless you want to be questioned by the police. To either hide or meet up with me later.” Cora has a
feeling this person might be on the run from something.

“I think it might be better if I get up with you later.” Aviva figures that were the best course of action to take.

“Alright, take my business card here and give me a call later.” Cora hands a Native American design business card to the young woman.

“Thank you. Oh, by the way. My name is Aviva.”

\“It’s nice to meet you, Aviva.” Cora smiles at the young woman.

Aviva heads back to her van and drives away from the gas station. She wonders why anyone would kill the man. She heads towards the nearest fast-food restaurant.

Cora watches as Aviva walks off. She wonders what she was running away from. Also, what was she going to do with Melissa? She pulls her cellphone out and calls the police, after taking pictures of the man she found.

Katie’s House:
“I wonder if she found anything?” Melissa looks towards Katie and Jessica.

“With Cora, you never know.” Katie knows Cora gets her ability from her Native American Fox Mask.

“Where did she get that Native American Fox mask?” Jessica was curious.

“I never asked her. All I do know, the spirits that the Native Americans worship. They guide her where she needs to go.” Katie didn’t know
much about Cora.

Melissa sits down on the sofa and picks up one of the magazines, available. One was about gardening and another was about the military.

“How do you know, Cora?” Katie looks at Melissa when she answers.

“She rescued me from a sticky situation. Some guy who knew me when I use to be a boy. They saw me as I was walking home from work.
They came over and started harassing me. After a few minutes, they started hitting me and kicking me.” Melissa shivers from thinking about that day.

She didn’t know what would have happened to her if Cora hadn’t shown up and knocked the two bullies out. Ever since that day, she was very thankful to Cora for helping her.

“Sounds like something Cora would do.” Katie has only known her for a short time.

After a few hours, Katie gets a message from Cora and a picture as well.

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nettolius gang leader maybe?

Samantha Heart's picture

Maybe that's where Aviva herd the name i guess we'll find out

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

A nettolius gang leader maybe?

Samantha Heart's picture

Maybe that's where Aviva herd the name i guess we'll find out

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Nightbird

Me doth think this should be part 23

Ooopp's!

Boy, it looks like I can't count right.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison