Project: Stingray Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Delphine couldn’t believe how warm it was out as she looks at all the people looking at the boats. She couldn’t believe the turnout of people or manufacturers. Every berth and dock at the marina were full of all sorts of yachts, boats, jet ski, and water jets. She couldn’t believe she was out wearing a skimpy bikini. She has always wanted to wear something so skimpy all her life and now she was.

Her mother didn’t approve of it but accepted the fact her daughter wanted to show off her beautiful body. She knew Tom loved it because they had sex before they left the house this morning. She looks over at Tom as he stood by the boat he brought to the marina.

Her father had given him everything he needed to answer questions and explained the specs. If Tom needed help with a customer, he knew she would help him out. Delphine does get a few requests to take pictures with some of the patrons. She didn’t mind, it was kind of fun to pose with the patrons.

Around one in the afternoon, a young dark brown hair teenage girl comes walking up to the boat Delphine was at. Delphine watches her as she examines the engine and gauges. The girl was wearing a pair of daisy dukes shorts and a matching lace camisole that went with her denim daisy dukes.

Delphine notices a few bruises on her upper arms and her legs. They weren’t bad, but she does wonder what caused them. The girl turns towards her.

“How fast is this boat?” Kathy was curious about it.

“Well, it’s a custom-built cigarette 560 and its top speed is 200 mph but handles better at 150 mph.” Delphine took it for a little spin before bring it from her father’s boat place.

“How come?” Kathy was curious. She figures if it could go 200 mph, that the handling shouldn’t be that bad for it.

“Because the faster you go, the easier it is for things to go wrong. Also, because of the way the hull is design, it takes a lot of skill and talent to handle a boat at higher speeds.”

“Oh, I’ve never been in one before or handled one either.” Kathy would love to take it out to see what it felt like.

“Trust me, you should work yourself up to being able to handle something this fast. You can easily kill yourself if you don’t know what you are doing.” Delphine has seen a lot of people who didn’t know what they were doing with a boat this fast kill themselves.

Kathy glances at Delphine every so often, when she isn’t looking towards her. She reminds her a lot of her mother. She was beautiful and curvy like Delphine. That is before the accident that took her mother and father’s life. Kathy feels tears starting to leak from her eyes. She wipes them away and heads down the pier to the next display to look at their boats.

Delphine watches the young girl. Something about her was bugging her. She watches as she walks off.

As for the rest of the day, she has several people inquiring about the boat and several orders. She spots Tom and walks over to him “so, how did you do today?”

“I think I did pretty well. I had several people placing orders for the boat. How did you do?” Tom enjoyed himself. He also had a couple of good-looking women hitting on him as well.

“So, how many women wanted to give you their numbers?” Delphine wanted to have a little fun with her boyfriend.

Tom looks at Delphine with a shocked look on his face “how did you know?”

“Because I had a lot of men trying to give me theirs silly.” Delphine places a kiss on Tom’s cheek.

“Let’s go and grab some dinner.”

“But you're still dressed in your bikini.” Tom looks at his sexy girlfriend.

“I’ll change on the yacht. My mom brought some spare clothes for me to change into.” Delphine leads Tom over to the yacht and heads to one of the rooms to change.

She changes into a nice dress and a pair of heels. She knew her mother picked the dress out from what little clothes she had in her closet.

“Alright, let's go and grab a bite to eat.” Delphine leaves the yacht.

“Where are your parents?” Tom thought they would be on the yacht.

“They are having dinner with some old friends at Capt. Pete’s. I thought we could go to Neptune. It’s a nice little restaurant that overlooks the ocean.” Delphine heard it was a nice restaurant.

“Sounds good to me.”

Delphine and Tom walk hand in hand to the front of the marina and catch a cab to Neptune. She sits close to Tom and leans her head on his shoulder. She has never felt the way she has before. All the time she was in the service, she had to hide who she was. Now, she can let her feelings out and enjoy being a woman.

They spend at least two and a half hours at the restaurant. Afterward, they head back to the marina. As they are walking the piers, Delphine spots the girl she saw earlier. She was stretched out on a bench that faced the ocean and she looked like she was asleep.

“That poor girl, I saw her earlier. I wonder if she is homeless?” Delphine and Tom stop to look at her. She had a light jacket covering her.

“Kathy isn’t homeless. She just doesn’t like going home.” Security Officer Strong spotted the young couple walking the pier and stopping near Kathy.

“What do you mean she’s not homeless? Why is she here sleeping on a bench?” Delphine was curious why she was here like she was.

“Because she doesn’t like going home to an empty house. It seems that her relatives don’t care about her. They took her in after her parents died in a boating accident. They found her floating on a life preserver. The thing is, she does everything she can to make them proud of her.
But they don’t even acknowledge her achievements or the fact she is alive.” Security Officer Strong had spoken with Kathy about why she hung around the marina as she did.

“But isn’t it dangerous for her to be out here sleeping?” Delphine was a little unease with Kathy sleeping out on the pier.

“I keep an eye on her during my rounds. Sometimes, she sleeps in a boat she has been living part-time.”

“Where’s the boat?”

“Its been moved so we could use the berth it was docked in.” Security Officer Strong didn’t want to move it, but the manager said it had to be done.

Delphine and Tom look at the young girl. The yacht Delphine’s father brought was nearby.

“I think she should come and sleep on the yacht. What do you think Tom?” Delphine looks towards Tom.

“I think your right. She shouldn’t be out here by herself.” Tom had a cousin around Kathy’s age.

“Let me wake her.” Security Officer Strong walks up to Kathy and gently shake her.

Kathy feels someone shaking her shoulder and open her eyes. She spots security officer Strong standing near her.

“Sorry, officer Strong.” Kathy sits up and looks at security officer Strong and a young couple standing nearby.

“No, it’s okay, Kathy. This young couple is offering to let you sleep aboard their yacht.” Security Officer Strong knew who the yacht was registered too.

Kathy looks at the young couple and felt she could trust them. She had spoken with the young woman earlier during the day and liked her.

“Okay.” Kathy gather’s her coat.

Delphine and Tom escort Kathy to the yacht. The girl looked so tired and bruised, from what they could see. Delphine escorts the young girl to one of the cabins across from her and Tom.

“You can sleep in here.” Delphine holds the door open for Kathy.

“Thank you.” Kathy walks in and lays down on the bed.

“Sweet dreams.” Delphine just watches the young woman as she lays down in bed.

“She must be tired.” Delphine walks over to Kathy and removes her shoes.

Tom just watches Delphine as she removes the young woman’s shoes and tucks her in. A smile appears on his face. He thought what she was doing was cute.

“Come on, let’s go to bed.” He takes Delphine’s hand and leads her out of the room.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay

Bruises don't just happen, something causes them. It may be completely innocent, but I think Chekov has the right of it.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

All that Chekhov's gun said,

All that Chekhov's gun said, paraphrased, was that if you take care to display a gun in the first act, you must use it by the end of the play. Basically do not display unnecessary elements that do not advance a story.

Bruises can just be bruises.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I'll stick

By my interpretation, and we'll see.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I wasn't arguing that the

I wasn't arguing that the bruises might not be important. Just that it's not really Chekhov.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Close Enough

Close enough for government work. The concept has undoubtedly undergone some shifts in meaning over the years. A purist I'm not. I was never a star pupil in English Lit.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Seven years in theatre does

Seven years in theatre does that to you.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Similar looks.

WillowD's picture

I wonder if Delphine is related to Kathy's mother.

Nah. Lady Dragon wouldn't pull a plot twist like that, would she? Snerk.

I see an adoption in the works

Samantha Heart's picture

As well as a wedding as Ithink Tom will propose to Delphine before long.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.